[Csnd] Generate mp3 from command line

Date2024-06-20 22:43
FromDavid Bellows
Subject[Csnd] Generate mp3 from command line
Hello everybody,

I'm grateful that we are now able to generate mp3 files from Csound.
I'm wondering if it's possible to do so from the command line like
with other audio formats and I'm just missing it or if not, if it's
something being worked on?

I have a specific need for this in my workflow where I generate and
compile Csound files using other software I've written and specifying
the audio file type from the command line makes my life a lot easier.

Thanks,
David Bellows

Fromvlz
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Generate mp3 from command line
This is actually dependent on libsndfile, which now supports mp3 files. So if you are running the latest released
Csound on Mac or Windows, you can just use the flag  --mpeg  to select mp3 output. By default, constant bit rate
is used, but if you want variable bit rate, you can add  --vbr  to enable it.

On other platforms, it will depend on the version of libsndfile installed in the system.

> On 20 Jun 2024, at 22:43, David Bellows  wrote:
>
> Hello everybody,
>
> I'm grateful that we are now able to generate mp3 files from Csound.
> I'm wondering if it's possible to do so from the command line like
> with other audio formats and I'm just missing it or if not, if it's
> something being worked on?
>
> I have a specific need for this in my workflow where I generate and
> compile Csound files using other software I've written and specifying
> the audio file type from the command line makes my life a lot easier.
>
> Thanks,
> David Bellows

>        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

FromDavid Bellows
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Generate mp3 from command line
Thanks, vlz, that's what I was hoping for. Now I just need to get a
newer version of Csound for Linux.