[Csnd-dev] restore develop as default branch?

Date2024-06-11 10:44
FromVictor Lazzarini <000010b17ddd988e-dmarc-request@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE>
Subject[Csnd-dev] restore develop as default branch?
Hi all,

I am just wondering now, in view of our final push to have 7.0 released September, should we restore the develop
branch as default?

My reasoning is:

- The current master as 6.18 is getting a bit old. Not sure we should invest any efforts in making a 6.19 to
refresh it, as our time is limited and we have to concentrate on 7.0.

- There’s sometimes confusion for submitting PRs as they go to the default branch and need to be edited.
Also when pulling, the default branch is what comes up, people might start working on changes to it without
realising it is a dead end.

- The develop branch is fairly stable now, particularly as we can’t commit directly to it and the code there
is fully reviewed.

- Foregrounding 7.0 as the way forward is a good idea.

What do you think?

FromDave Seidel
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] restore develop as default branch?
Strongly in favor, if only to make it clear to people who visit the Csound Github that the project is active and not moribund. We all know that it is under active development, but looking at the master branch it appears that nothing has happened for the past two years.This is a point that came up in Mike's last Csound Zoom meeting.

- Dave

On Tue, Jun 11, 2024 at 5:45 AM Victor Lazzarini <000010b17ddd988e-dmarc-request@listserv.heanet.ie> wrote:
[...]

I agree, but if and only if somebody coming to Csound can build v7 and run pieces.

On Tue, Jun 11, 2024, 05:45 Victor Lazzarini <000010b17ddd988e-dmarc-request@listserv.heanet.ie> wrote:
[...]

I'm in favor of this. We can add a note to the README.md that develop
has major revisions and is still undergoing change and fixes. We can
additionally point people to the csound6 branch for stable code if
necessary.

On Tue, Jun 11, 2024 at 5:45 AM Victor Lazzarini
<000010b17ddd988e-dmarc-request@listserv.heanet.ie> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am just wondering now, in view of our final push to have 7.0 released September, should we restore the develop
> branch as default?
>
> My reasoning is:
>
> - The current master as 6.18 is getting a bit old. Not sure we should invest any efforts in making a 6.19 to
> refresh it, as our time is limited and we have to concentrate on 7.0.
>
> - There’s sometimes confusion for submitting PRs as they go to the default branch and need to be edited.
> Also when pulling, the default branch is what comes up, people might start working on changes to it without
> realising it is a dead end.
>
> - The develop branch is fairly stable now, particularly as we can’t commit directly to it and the code there
> is fully reviewed.
>
> - Foregrounding 7.0 as the way forward is a good idea.
>
> What do you think?
> ========================

From"Dr. Richard Boulanger"
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] restore develop as default branch?
Stable release and current beta release.
Yes.
Dr. Richard Boulanger
Professor
Electronic Production and Design
Berklee College of Music

> On Jun 11, 2024, at 8:37 AM, Steven Yi  wrote:
>
> I'm in favor of this. We can add a note to the README.md that develop
> has major revisions and is still undergoing change and fixes. We can
> additionally point people to the csound6 branch for stable code if
> necessary.
>
>> On Tue, Jun 11, 2024 at 5:45 AM Victor Lazzarini
>> <000010b17ddd988e-dmarc-request@listserv.heanet.ie> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am just wondering now, in view of our final push to have 7.0 released September, should we restore the develop
>> branch as default?
>>
>> My reasoning is:
>>
>> - The current master as 6.18 is getting a bit old. Not sure we should invest any efforts in making a 6.19 to
>> refresh it, as our time is limited and we have to concentrate on 7.0.
>>
>> - There’s sometimes confusion for submitting PRs as they go to the default branch and need to be edited.
>> Also when pulling, the default branch is what comes up, people might start working on changes to it without
>> realising it is a dead end.
>>
>> - The develop branch is fairly stable now, particularly as we can’t commit directly to it and the code there
>> is fully reviewed.
>>
>> - Foregrounding 7.0 as the way forward is a good idea.
>>
>> What do you think?
>> ========================
>> Prof. Victor Lazzarini
>> Maynooth University
>> Ireland

Date2024-06-11 14:22
Fromvlz
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] restore develop as default branch?
Afaik, the develop branch bar a few minor parser issues runs any code that the master branch currently runs.

On 11 Jun 2024, at 13:23, Michael Gogins <michael.gogins@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Thanks. After I finish some pieces I'm working on, I'll switch all my Csound related projects to use v7.

Best,

On Tue, Jun 11, 2024 at 9:24 AM vlz <viclazzarini@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Yes, I will start switching to v7 as well..

On Tue, Jun 11, 2024 at 9:30 AM Michael Gogins <michael.gogins@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd-dev] restore develop as default branch?
Ok, I created a PR updating the README text to support the change.

https://github.com/csound/csound/pull/1895

I think we are all in agreement, so as soon as the PR is merged, we
can go ahead and make the change.

> On 11 Jun 2024, at 13:36, Steven Yi  wrote:
>
> *Warning*
>
> This email originated from outside of Maynooth University's Mail System. Do not reply, click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.
>
> I'm in favor of this. We can add a note to the README.md that develop
> has major revisions and is still undergoing change and fixes. We can
> additionally point people to the csound6 branch for stable code if
> necessary.
>
> On Tue, Jun 11, 2024 at 5:45 AM Victor Lazzarini
> <000010b17ddd988e-dmarc-request@listserv.heanet.ie> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am just wondering now, in view of our final push to have 7.0 released September, should we restore the develop
>> branch as default?
>>
>> My reasoning is:
>>
>> - The current master as 6.18 is getting a bit old. Not sure we should invest any efforts in making a 6.19 to
>> refresh it, as our time is limited and we have to concentrate on 7.0.
>>
>> - There’s sometimes confusion for submitting PRs as they go to the default branch and need to be edited.
>> Also when pulling, the default branch is what comes up, people might start working on changes to it without
>> realising it is a dead end.
>>
>> - The develop branch is fairly stable now, particularly as we can’t commit directly to it and the code there
>> is fully reviewed.
>>
>> - Foregrounding 7.0 as the way forward is a good idea.
>>
>> What do you think?
>> ========================
>> Prof. Victor Lazzarini
>> Maynooth University
>> Ireland

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd-dev] restore develop as default branch?
BTW: the only big issue that concerns me is the parsing of complex
expressions. It seems that precedence is not correct somewhere. I've
noticed this while live coding where I tend to do a lot of
calculations as expressions and noticed different results with CS7 vs.
CS6. CS7 has otherwise worked well.

On Tue, Jun 11, 2024 at 12:44 PM Victor Lazzarini
<000010b17ddd988e-dmarc-request@listserv.heanet.ie> wrote:

> Ok, I created a PR updating the README text to support the change.
>
> https://github.com/csound/csound/pull/1895
>
> I think we are all in agreement, so as soon as the PR is merged, we
> can go ahead and make the change.
> ========================
>
> > On 11 Jun 2024, at 13:36, Steven Yi  wrote:
> >
> > *Warning*
> >
> > This email originated from outside of Maynooth University's Mail System. Do not reply, click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.
> >
> > I'm in favor of this. We can add a note to the README.md that develop
> > has major revisions and is still undergoing change and fixes. We can
> > additionally point people to the csound6 branch for stable code if
> > necessary.
> >
> > On Tue, Jun 11, 2024 at 5:45 AM Victor Lazzarini
> > <000010b17ddd988e-dmarc-request@listserv.heanet.ie> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I am just wondering now, in view of our final push to have 7.0 released September, should we restore the develop
> >> branch as default?
> >>
> >> My reasoning is:
> >>
> >> - The current master as 6.18 is getting a bit old. Not sure we should invest any efforts in making a 6.19 to
> >> refresh it, as our time is limited and we have to concentrate on 7.0.
> >>
> >> - There’s sometimes confusion for submitting PRs as they go to the default branch and need to be edited.
> >> Also when pulling, the default branch is what comes up, people might start working on changes to it without
> >> realising it is a dead end.
> >>
> >> - The develop branch is fairly stable now, particularly as we can’t commit directly to it and the code there
> >> is fully reviewed.
> >>
> >> - Foregrounding 7.0 as the way forward is a good idea.
> >>
> >> What do you think?
> >> ========================
> >> Prof. Victor Lazzarini
> >> Maynooth University
> >> Ireland

Date2024-06-11 18:50
FromVictor Lazzarini <000010b17ddd988e-dmarc-request@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE>
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd-dev] restore develop as default branch?
The develop branch is default branch now.

I’ve been going through the 7.0 tickets, most issues there are for parser enhancement, and given the
names attached to them I suspect many of them are worked in that big PR by hlolli.

At some point we may need to review what is realistic for September, but I am much more confident
now that we will be able to  cross the line then.