[Csnd] Volume of output WAV file

Date2020-10-21 15:51
FromJason Hallen
Subject[Csnd] Volume of output WAV file
Hi everyone,

This is probably a very simple question.  I've output a Csound composition to a WAV file.  However, the volume of the file is too low.  I'd like to boost the overall volume.  However, when I boost the amplitude levels in the CSD file and run it, I see this report:

overall amps:  1.20914  1.44500
overall samples out of range:       26      842

I've always taken this to mean that there has been some distortion in the output and that this should be avoided.  Is that correct, or do I not need to be very concerned about samples being out of range?  If I do need to keep the amps under 1.00, then how do I boost the overall volume of a track?  Is that something I'd have to do outside of Csound?

Thanks for any guidance you can give!

Jason

FromRory Walsh
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Volume of output WAV file
You're right, some of your samples are clipping. Rather than try to do this in Csound I would simply normalise the file afterwards with an audio editor.

On Wed, 21 Oct 2020 at 15:52, Jason Hallen <hallenj@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi everyone,

This is probably a very simple question.  I've output a Csound composition to a WAV file.  However, the volume of the file is too low.  I'd like to boost the overall volume.  However, when I boost the amplitude levels in the CSD file and run it, I see this report:

overall amps:  1.20914  1.44500
overall samples out of range:       26      842

I've always taken this to mean that there has been some distortion in the output and that this should be avoided.  Is that correct, or do I not need to be very concerned about samples being out of range?  If I do need to keep the amps under 1.00, then how do I boost the overall volume of a track?  Is that something I'd have to do outside of Csound?

Thanks for any guidance you can give!

Jason

FromDave Seidel
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Volume of output WAV file
That's exactly what I do (I usually use Audacity to normalize to -3dB or -4dB).

On Wed, Oct 21, 2020 at 10:55 AM Rory Walsh <rorywalsh@ear.ie> wrote:
[...]

Thanks a lot, Dave and Rory!  I'll give that a shot.

Jason

On Wed, Oct 21, 2020 at 9:57 AM Dave Seidel <dave.seidel@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

FromPablo Zoani Heffele
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Volume of output WAV file
Try adding a low pass filter too, before the output. Maybe your signal has an offset somewhere

El 21 oct. 2020 11:52 a. m., Jason Hallen <hallenj@GMAIL.COM> escribió:
[...]

Using the dcblock2 opcode can be helpful as well.

On Wed, Oct 21, 2020 at 12:03 PM Pablo Zoani Heffele <pablozoani@hotmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Oops, i mean "high pass" filter. dcblock will, yes.

El 21 oct. 2020 1:11 p. m., Dave Seidel <dave.seidel@GMAIL.COM> escribió:
[...]

FromJustin Smith
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Volume of output WAV file
Also, to match the continuous perceived loudness of pop music, you
likely need to adopt their techniques. This is a whole artform but in
csound terms it largely involves bandpass filters and dynamic range
compression. It's a place on the border of arrangement, composition,
studio techniques, and mastering. It's ubiquitous in broadcast music
but IMHO it's highly constrained and unnatural.

On Wed, Oct 21, 2020 at 9:11 AM Dave Seidel  wrote:

> Using the dcblock2 opcode can be helpful as well.
>
> On Wed, Oct 21, 2020 at 12:03 PM Pablo Zoani Heffele  wrote:
>>
>> Try adding a low pass filter too, before the output. Maybe your signal has an offset somewhere
>>
>> El 21 oct. 2020 11:52 a. m., Jason Hallen  escribió:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> This is probably a very simple question.  I've output a Csound composition to a WAV file.  However, the volume of the file is too low.  I'd like to boost the overall volume.  However, when I boost the amplitude levels in the CSD file and run it, I see this report:
>>
>> overall amps:  1.20914  1.44500
>> overall samples out of range:       26      842
>>
>> I've always taken this to mean that there has been some distortion in the output and that this should be avoided.  Is that correct, or do I not need to be very concerned about samples being out of range?  If I do need to keep the amps under 1.00, then how do I boost the overall volume of a track?  Is that something I'd have to do outside of Csound?
>>
>> Thanks for any guidance you can give!
>>
>> Jason
>> Csound mailing list Csound@listserv.heanet.ie https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND Send bugs reports to https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

Fromjohn
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Volume of output WAV file
A few samplesout of range usuall isOK IMO.  What I sometimes do is render
to floaing point and then iuse thescale utiliy funtion to set a maxium
value.  that can even be done as a script otr Makegile option.

==Jon ff

On Wed, 21 Oct 2020, Jason Hallen wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> This is probably a very simple question.  I've output a Csound composition to
> a WAV file.  However, the volume of the file is too low.  I'd like to boost
> the overall volume.  However, when I boost the amplitude levels in the CSD
> file and run it, I see this report:
>
> overall amps:  1.20914  1.44500
> overall samples out of range:       26      842
>
> I've always taken this to mean that there has been some distortion in the
> output and that this should be avoided.  Is that correct, or do I not need to
> be very concerned about samples being out of range?  If I do need to keep the
> amps under 1.00, then how do I boost the overall volume of a track?  Is that
> something I'd have to do outside of Csound?
>
> Thanks for any guidance you can give!
>
> Jason
> Csound mailing list Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
> https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features can
> be posted here

FromJason Hallen
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Volume of output WAV file
This was a great discussion.  Thanks to you all for sharing your approaches to this issue!  I was able to normalize the WAV file in a DAW.  It helped boost the volume.

Jason