[Csnd] code share: formant warp

Subject[Csnd] code share: formant warp
Here’s a very small instrument that transforms a vocal sound. I have looked for
the right combination of processes and parameters and finally it seems to do
what I was attempting. I’ll share here in case it is any use to you

 instr 1
 isiz = 2048
 as = diskin2:a("fox.wav",1,0,1)
 fs1 = pvsanal(dcblock2(as),isiz,isiz/8,isiz,1)
 fs2 = pvscale(pvswarp(fs1,0.6,0),2)
 a2 pvsynth fs2
 outs a2
endin
schedule(1,0,20)

best

FromDavid Akbari
SubjectRe: [Csnd] code share: formant warp
Hello Victor,

Thanks for sharing this! What is this alien syntax and where can I
read more about it? Apologies if this has been covered at length here.
I find this fascinating!

Best,
David

On Tue, Jun 16, 2020 at 10:53 AM Victor Lazzarini
 wrote:

> Here’s a very small instrument that transforms a vocal sound. I have looked for
> the right combination of processes and parameters and finally it seems to do
> what I was attempting. I’ll share here in case it is any use to you
>
>  instr 1
>  isiz = 2048
>  as = diskin2:a("fox.wav",1,0,1)
>  fs1 = pvsanal(dcblock2(as),isiz,isiz/8,isiz,1)
>  fs2 = pvscale(pvswarp(fs1,0.6,0),2)
>  a2 pvsynth fs2
>  outs a2
> endin
> schedule(1,0,20)
>
> best

SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] Re: [Csnd] code share: formant warp
You can read it in the manual

https://csound.com/docs/manual/functional.html

On 16 Jun 2020, at 17:47, David Akbari <dakbari@gmail.com> wrote:

*Warning*

This email originated from outside of Maynooth University's Mail System. Do not reply, click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.

<Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:

Here’s a very small instrument that transforms a vocal sound. I have looked for
the right combination of processes and parameters and finally it seems to do
what I was attempting. I’ll share here in case it is any use to you

instr 1
isiz = 2048
as = diskin2:a("fox.wav",1,0,1)
fs1 = pvsanal(dcblock2(as),isiz,isiz/8,isiz,1)
fs2 = pvscale(pvswarp(fs1,0.6,0),2)
a2 pvsynth fs2
outs a2
endin
schedule(1,0,20)

best
       https://eur02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fcsound%2Fcsound%2Fissues&amp;data=02%7C01%7CVictor.Lazzarini%40mu.ie%7C6ecb16228f844779fb6a08d81214f13c%7C1454f5ccbb354685bbd98621fd8055c9%7C1%7C1%7C637279228439147584&amp;sdata=vo9qwoo%2FLCYyTK2CL3sYoDesCYbo37ahGSrih9LA5JQ%3D&amp;reserved=0

https://eur02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Flistserv.heanet.ie%2Fcgi-bin%2Fwa%3FA0%3DCSOUND&amp;data=02%7C01%7CVictor.Lazzarini%40mu.ie%7C6ecb16228f844779fb6a08d81214f13c%7C1454f5ccbb354685bbd98621fd8055c9%7C1%7C1%7C637279228439147584&amp;sdata=omTnbu7m1rFntudiD6ETJGAMbtQFbXtlTYuq4Vpsg44%3D&amp;reserved=0
Send bugs reports to
       https://eur02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fcsound%2Fcsound%2Fissues&amp;data=02%7C01%7CVictor.Lazzarini%40mu.ie%7C6ecb16228f844779fb6a08d81214f13c%7C1454f5ccbb354685bbd98621fd8055c9%7C1%7C1%7C637279228439147584&amp;sdata=vo9qwoo%2FLCYyTK2CL3sYoDesCYbo37ahGSrih9LA5JQ%3D&amp;reserved=0

From"Dr. Richard Boulanger"
SubjectRe: [Csnd] code share: formant warp
Victor,
Thanks for sharing - very nice.  very clean.  very useful.
Thanks for reminding me/us about schedule too!
-R

Dr. Richard Boulanger

Professor of Electronic Production and Design

Professional Writing and Technology Division

Berklee College of Music

On Tue, Jun 16, 2020 at 11:53 AM Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
Here’s a very small instrument that transforms a vocal sound. I have looked for
the right combination of processes and parameters and finally it seems to do
what I was attempting. I’ll share here in case it is any use to you

 instr 1
 isiz = 2048
 as = diskin2:a("fox.wav",1,0,1)
 fs1 = pvsanal(dcblock2(as),isiz,isiz/8,isiz,1)
 fs2 = pvscale(pvswarp(fs1,0.6,0),2)
 a2 pvsynth fs2
 outs a2
endin
schedule(1,0,20)

best

SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] Re: [Csnd] code share: formant warp
did you try it to see the result?

On 18 Jun 2020, at 05:58, Dr. Richard Boulanger <rboulanger@berklee.edu> wrote:

[...]

Yes.  It ran perfectly on my MacBook Pro.
It is queued up for testing on my Bela later today

Dr. Richard Boulanger
Professor

On Jun 18, 2020, at 3:32 AM, Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:

[...]

How would you describe the result? Just interested to know about people’s perception.

> On 18 Jun 2020, at 11:58, Dr. Richard Boulanger  wrote:
>
> Yes.  It ran perfectly on my MacBook Pro.
> It is queued up for testing on my Bela later today
>
> Dr. Richard Boulanger
> Professor
> Electronic Production and Design
> Berklee College of Music
>
>> On Jun 18, 2020, at 3:32 AM, Victor Lazzarini  wrote:
>>
>>  did you try it to see the result?
>>
>> Prof. Victor Lazzarini
>> Maynooth University
>> Ireland
>>
>>> On 18 Jun 2020, at 05:58, Dr. Richard Boulanger  wrote:
>>>

>>> WARNINGThis email originated from outside of Maynooth University's Mail System. Do not reply, click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.
>>> Victor,
>>> Thanks for sharing - very nice.  very clean.  very useful.
>>> Thanks for reminding me/us about schedule too!
>>> -R
>>> Dr. Richard Boulanger
>>> Professor of Electronic Production and Design
>>> Professional Writing and Technology Division
>>> Berklee College of Music
>>>

>>> On Tue, Jun 16, 2020 at 11:53 AM Victor Lazzarini  wrote:
>>> Here’s a very small instrument that transforms a vocal sound. I have looked for
>>> the right combination of processes and parameters and finally it seems to do
>>> what I was attempting. I’ll share here in case it is any use to you
>>>
>>>  instr 1
>>>  isiz = 2048
>>>  as = diskin2:a("fox.wav",1,0,1)
>>>  fs1 = pvsanal(dcblock2(as),isiz,isiz/8,isiz,1)
>>>  fs2 = pvscale(pvswarp(fs1,0.6,0),2)
>>>  a2 pvsynth fs2
>>>  outs a2
>>> endin
>>> schedule(1,0,20)
>>>
>>> best
>>> Send bugs reports to
>>>         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>>> Csound mailing list Csound@listserv.heanet.ie https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND Send bugs reports to https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

FromRory Walsh
SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] Re: [Csnd] code share: formant warp
Have you tried putting other male voices through it, I'm curious to know if it works as well for any male voice...?

On Thu, 18 Jun 2020 at 13:04, Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
How would you describe the result? Just interested to know about people’s perception.

> On 18 Jun 2020, at 11:58, Dr. Richard Boulanger <rboulanger@berklee.edu> wrote:
>
> Yes.  It ran perfectly on my MacBook Pro.
> It is queued up for testing on my Bela later today
>
> Dr. Richard Boulanger
> Professor
> Electronic Production and Design
> Berklee College of Music
>
>> On Jun 18, 2020, at 3:32 AM, Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
>>
>>  did you try it to see the result?
>>
>> Prof. Victor Lazzarini
>> Maynooth University
>> Ireland
>>
>>> On 18 Jun 2020, at 05:58, Dr. Richard Boulanger <rboulanger@berklee.edu> wrote:
>>>

>>> WARNINGThis email originated from outside of Maynooth University's Mail System. Do not reply, click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.
>>> Victor,
>>> Thanks for sharing - very nice.  very clean.  very useful.
>>> Thanks for reminding me/us about schedule too!
>>> -R
>>> Dr. Richard Boulanger
>>> Professor of Electronic Production and Design
>>> Professional Writing and Technology Division
>>> Berklee College of Music
>>>

>>> On Tue, Jun 16, 2020 at 11:53 AM Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
>>> Here’s a very small instrument that transforms a vocal sound. I have looked for
>>> the right combination of processes and parameters and finally it seems to do
>>> what I was attempting. I’ll share here in case it is any use to you
>>>
>>>  instr 1
>>>  isiz = 2048
>>>  as = diskin2:a("fox.wav",1,0,1)
>>>  fs1 = pvsanal(dcblock2(as),isiz,isiz/8,isiz,1)
>>>  fs2 = pvscale(pvswarp(fs1,0.6,0),2)
>>>  a2 pvsynth fs2
>>>  outs a2
>>> endin
>>> schedule(1,0,20)
>>>
>>> best
>>> Send bugs reports to
>>>         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>>> Csound mailing list Csound@listserv.heanet.ie https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND Send bugs reports to https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] Re: [Csnd] code share: formant warp
I haven’t but you can speak into it and see if it works. Sometimes parameters might need tweaking a little.

> On 18 Jun 2020, at 13:04, Rory Walsh  wrote:
>
> Have you tried putting other male voices through it, I'm curious to know if it works as well for any male voice...?
>
> On Thu, 18 Jun 2020 at 13:04, Victor Lazzarini  wrote:
> How would you describe the result? Just interested to know about people’s perception.
> ========================
>
> > On 18 Jun 2020, at 11:58, Dr. Richard Boulanger  wrote:
> >
> > Yes.  It ran perfectly on my MacBook Pro.
> > It is queued up for testing on my Bela later today
> >
> > Dr. Richard Boulanger
> > Professor
> > Electronic Production and Design
> > Berklee College of Music
> >
> >> On Jun 18, 2020, at 3:32 AM, Victor Lazzarini  wrote:
> >>
> >>  did you try it to see the result?
> >>
> >> Prof. Victor Lazzarini
> >> Maynooth University
> >> Ireland

FromRory Walsh
SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] Re: [Csnd] code share: formant warp
And going the other direction? There are a few commercial plugins that try to do this, in most cases pretty badly!

On Thu, 18 Jun 2020 at 13:11, Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
I haven’t but you can speak into it and see if it works. Sometimes parameters might need tweaking a little.

> On 18 Jun 2020, at 13:04, Rory Walsh <rorywalsh@EAR.IE> wrote:
>
> Have you tried putting other male voices through it, I'm curious to know if it works as well for any male voice...?
>
> On Thu, 18 Jun 2020 at 13:04, Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
> How would you describe the result? Just interested to know about people’s perception.
> ========================
>
> > On 18 Jun 2020, at 11:58, Dr. Richard Boulanger <rboulanger@berklee.edu> wrote:
> >
> > Yes.  It ran perfectly on my MacBook Pro.
> > It is queued up for testing on my Bela later today
> >
> > Dr. Richard Boulanger
> > Professor
> > Electronic Production and Design
> > Berklee College of Music
> >
> >> On Jun 18, 2020, at 3:32 AM, Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
> >>
> >>  did you try it to see the result?
> >>
> >> Prof. Victor Lazzarini
> >> Maynooth University
> >> Ireland

FromKevin Welsh
SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] Re: [Csnd] code share: formant warp
For anyone that wants a quick listen to this, here's a web ide
example: https://ide.csound.com/editor/kuxlYB2awvfkNd61jzXI

Runs 10 seconds of original fox, followed by 10 seconds of the altered version.

On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 8:13 AM Rory Walsh  wrote:

> And going the other direction? There are a few commercial plugins that try to do this, in most cases pretty badly!
>
> On Thu, 18 Jun 2020 at 13:11, Victor Lazzarini  wrote:
>>
>> I haven’t but you can speak into it and see if it works. Sometimes parameters might need tweaking a little.
>> ========================
>> Prof. Victor Lazzarini
>> Maynooth University
>> Ireland
>>
>> > On 18 Jun 2020, at 13:04, Rory Walsh  wrote:
>> >
>> > Have you tried putting other male voices through it, I'm curious to know if it works as well for any male voice...?
>> >
>> > On Thu, 18 Jun 2020 at 13:04, Victor Lazzarini  wrote:
>> > How would you describe the result? Just interested to know about people’s perception.
>> > ========================
>> > Prof. Victor Lazzarini
>> > Maynooth University
>> > Ireland

>> > Csound mailing list
>> > Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>> > https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
>> > Send bugs reports to
>> >         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>> > Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here
>> > Csound mailing list Csound@listserv.heanet.ie https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND Send bugs reports to https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here
>>

>> Csound mailing list
>> Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>> Send bugs reports to
>>         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] Re: [Csnd] code share: formant warp
I suspect that it might be harder to achieve, but I have not tried yet.

> On 18 Jun 2020, at 13:11, Rory Walsh  wrote:
>
> And going the other direction? There are a few commercial plugins that try to do this, in most cases pretty badly!
>
> On Thu, 18 Jun 2020 at 13:11, Victor Lazzarini  wrote:
> I haven’t but you can speak into it and see if it works. Sometimes parameters might need tweaking a little.
> ========================
>
> > On 18 Jun 2020, at 13:04, Rory Walsh  wrote:
> >
> > Have you tried putting other male voices through it, I'm curious to know if it works as well for any male voice...?
> >
> > On Thu, 18 Jun 2020 at 13:04, Victor Lazzarini  wrote:
> > How would you describe the result? Just interested to know about people’s perception.
> > ========================
> > Prof. Victor Lazzarini
> > Maynooth University
> > Ireland
> >
> > > On 18 Jun 2020, at 11:58, Dr. Richard Boulanger  wrote:
> > >
> > > Yes.  It ran perfectly on my MacBook Pro.
> > > It is queued up for testing on my Bela later today
> > >
> > > Dr. Richard Boulanger
> > > Professor
> > > Electronic Production and Design
> > > Berklee College of Music

> > Csound mailing list
> > Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
> > https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
> > Send bugs reports to
> >         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
> > Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here
> > Csound mailing list Csound@listserv.heanet.ie https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND Send bugs reports to https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] Re: [Csnd] code share: formant warp
Thanks!
I am not sure why but it can’t find fox.wav although it’s clearly in the project

new alloc for instr 1:
INIT ERROR in instr 1 line 18: diskin2: fox.wav: failed to open file (No Error.)
 from file project.csd (1)
as	diskin2	"fox.wav"	1	0	1	0	0	0	0	0
		   T  0.000 - note deleted.  i1 had 1 init errors
  rtevent:	   T 11.000 TT 11.000 M:  0.00000  0.00000

> [...]
> https://eur02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Flistserv.heanet.ie%2Fcgi-bin%2Fwa%3FA0%3DCSOUND&data=02%7C01%7CVictor.Lazzarini%40mu.ie%7C3f79f1351fc54397100708d81383359e%7C1454f5ccbb354685bbd98621fd8055c9%7C1%7C0%7C637280801545789757&sdata=q8K49RMF%2Fm5taV1V3o2DjIogIbd7%2FAGIc1cw9gy1ubU%3D&reserved=0
> Send bugs reports to
>        https://eur02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fcsound%2Fcsound%2Fissues&data=02%7C01%7CVictor.Lazzarini%40mu.ie%7C3f79f1351fc54397100708d81383359e%7C1454f5ccbb354685bbd98621fd8055c9%7C1%7C0%7C637280801545789757&sdata=o%2FIzurnMSxVrsU8silhipDweM0KH7Moe4KqQq7bMFhc%3D&reserved=0

SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] Re: [Csnd] code share: formant warp
There seems to be some kind of permission issue. I found I could load the project and have it run if I was logged in (even though I am just viewing the project as a non-owner), but I got the error with the wav if I was not logged in. Will look into the issue.

On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 8:52 AM Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
> [...]

> https://eur02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Flistserv.heanet.ie%2Fcgi-bin%2Fwa%3FA0%3DCSOUND&amp;data=02%7C01%7CVictor.Lazzarini%40mu.ie%7C3f79f1351fc54397100708d81383359e%7C1454f5ccbb354685bbd98621fd8055c9%7C1%7C0%7C637280801545789757&amp;sdata=q8K49RMF%2Fm5taV1V3o2DjIogIbd7%2FAGIc1cw9gy1ubU%3D&amp;reserved=0
> Send bugs reports to
>        https://eur02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fcsound%2Fcsound%2Fissues&amp;data=02%7C01%7CVictor.Lazzarini%40mu.ie%7C3f79f1351fc54397100708d81383359e%7C1454f5ccbb354685bbd98621fd8055c9%7C1%7C0%7C637280801545789757&amp;sdata=o%2FIzurnMSxVrsU8silhipDweM0KH7Moe4KqQq7bMFhc%3D&amp;reserved=0

SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] Re: [Csnd] code share: formant warp
I modified the permissions to allow read access for files for anyone; the project now loads here for me as a non-authenticated user.

On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 7:27 PM Steven Yi <stevenyi@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]

> https://eur02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Flistserv.heanet.ie%2Fcgi-bin%2Fwa%3FA0%3DCSOUND&amp;data=02%7C01%7CVictor.Lazzarini%40mu.ie%7C3f79f1351fc54397100708d81383359e%7C1454f5ccbb354685bbd98621fd8055c9%7C1%7C0%7C637280801545789757&amp;sdata=q8K49RMF%2Fm5taV1V3o2DjIogIbd7%2FAGIc1cw9gy1ubU%3D&amp;reserved=0
> Send bugs reports to
>        https://eur02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fcsound%2Fcsound%2Fissues&amp;data=02%7C01%7CVictor.Lazzarini%40mu.ie%7C3f79f1351fc54397100708d81383359e%7C1454f5ccbb354685bbd98621fd8055c9%7C1%7C0%7C637280801545789757&amp;sdata=o%2FIzurnMSxVrsU8silhipDweM0KH7Moe4KqQq7bMFhc%3D&amp;reserved=0

SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] Re: [Csnd] code share: formant warp
Works perfectly now. Thanks.

> [...]
> >
> > Csound mailing list
> > Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
> > https://eur02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Flistserv.heanet.ie%2Fcgi-bin%2Fwa%3FA0%3DCSOUND&data=02%7C01%7CVictor.Lazzarini%40mu.ie%7C3f79f1351fc54397100708d81383359e%7C1454f5ccbb354685bbd98621fd8055c9%7C1%7C0%7C637280801545789757&sdata=q8K49RMF%2Fm5taV1V3o2DjIogIbd7%2FAGIc1cw9gy1ubU%3D&reserved=0
> > Send bugs reports to
> >        https://eur02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fcsound%2Fcsound%2Fissues&data=02%7C01%7CVictor.Lazzarini%40mu.ie%7C3f79f1351fc54397100708d81383359e%7C1454f5ccbb354685bbd98621fd8055c9%7C1%7C0%7C637280801545789757&sdata=o%2FIzurnMSxVrsU8silhipDweM0KH7Moe4KqQq7bMFhc%3D&reserved=0
> > Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

FromBill Alves
Subject[Csnd] Csound piece
Here’s a piece I wrote for live Csound processing of a cellist. I used pvsanal/pvsynth to stretch out the sound simultaneously at different rates. In this version, I also stretched out the video by the same ratios so that you can both see and hear the stretching. The piece is written so that different points line up on each repetition, which is somewhat more apparent with the video.

Thanks to superb cellist Maggie Parkins for performing and recording the piece!

Bill

Bill Alves
Professor of Music, The Claremont Colleges
Harvey Mudd College
301 Platt Blvd. Claremont CA 91711
http://pages.hmc.edu/alves/
http://www.billalves.com/

Date2020-06-19 20:47
From"Dr. Richard Boulanger"
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Csound piece
Bill,

Lovely.  Majestic.  The video really makes it clear and even more magical.

Dr. Richard Boulanger
Professor

On Jun 19, 2020, at 3:35 PM, Bill Alves <alves@g.hmc.edu> wrote:

Here’s a piece I wrote for live Csound processing of a cellist. I used pvsanal/pvsynth to stretch out the sound simultaneously at different rates. In this version, I also stretched out the video by the same ratios so that you can both see and hear the stretching. The piece is written so that different points line up on each repetition, which is somewhat more apparent with the video.

Thanks to superb cellist Maggie Parkins for performing and recording the piece!

Bill

Bill Alves
Professor of Music, The Claremont Colleges
Harvey Mudd College
301 Platt Blvd. Claremont CA 91711
http://pages.hmc.edu/alves/
http://www.billalves.com/

FromOscar Pablo Di Liscia
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Csound piece
Great musical idea and together with the video it is very beautifully realised.
Congratulations!

El vie., 19 jun. 2020 a las 16:47, Dr. Richard Boulanger (<rboulanger@berklee.edu>) escribió:
[...]

Dr. Oscar Pablo Di Liscia
Profesor Titular
Director Programa de Investigación "Sistemas Temporales y Síntesis Espacial en el Arte Sonoro"
http://stseas.web.unq.edu.ar/
Director Colección Editorial "Música y Ciencia"
Escuela Universitaria de Artes
Universidad Nacional de Quilmes
Argentina

FromJoseph Hughes
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Csound piece
Really cool. Any chance you would share the code?

On Fri, Jun 19, 2020 at 3:54 PM Oscar Pablo Di Liscia <oscarpablodiliscia@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Thanks very much! Here is the code. You can see that I have an instrument that simply displays the measures and beats. In order for the synchronization of the parts to work, the player needs to follow this visual metronome. For the first three beats, the performer sees a countdown and only after does the sound begin. Looking back now, I probably could have made the code more elegant, and I would welcome any comments. Even so, maybe it will be useful to you or others:

<CsoundSynthesizer>
<CsInstruments>
sr = 44100
ksmps = 10
nchnls = 2

gaverbl init 0
gaverbr init 0
gitempo init 48

instr 8
ibeat = 60/gitempo
schedule 8,ibeat,0.01
icurbeat = p2*gitempo/60
imeasure = int(icurbeat/3)
irepeat = int((imeasure+39.5)/40)
immeasure = (irepeat=0?0:imeasure-(40*(irepeat-1)))
imbeat = 1+icurbeat-(3*imeasure)
outvalue "repeat",irepeat
outvalue "measure",immeasure
outvalue "beat",imbeat
endin

instr 1
;kamp invalue "output level slider"
; outvalue "output level",kamp
;kinlvl invalue "input level slider"
; outvalue "input level",kinlvl
kinlvl = 5
kamp = 0.5
ibeat = 60/gitempo
i3beat = 3*ibeat;
ain in
ain = ain*kinlvl
kenv1 linseg 0.0001,3*ibeat,0.0001,1,1,363*ibeat,1,3*ibeat,0.0001
kenv2 linseg 0.0001,3*ibeat,0.0001,1,1,363*ibeat,1,4*ibeat,0.0001
flive pvsanal ain,1024,256,1024,1
ihandle,ktime pvsbuffer flive,p3
kdelay5 = (ktime<i3beat?0:i3beat+(ktime-i3beat)/1.2)
fdelay5 pvsbufread kdelay5,ihandle
kdelay4 = (ktime<i3beat?0:i3beat+(ktime-i3beat)/1.5)
fdelay4 pvsbufread kdelay4,ihandle
kdelay3 = (ktime<i3beat?0:i3beat+(ktime-i3beat)/2)
fdelay3 pvsbufread kdelay3,ihandle
kdelay2 = (ktime<i3beat?0:i3beat+(ktime-i3beat)/3)
fdelay2 pvsbufread kdelay2,ihandle
kdelay1 = (ktime<i3beat?0:i3beat+(ktime-i3beat)/6)
fdelay1 pvsbufread kdelay1,ihandle
aout5a pvsynth fdelay5
aout4a pvsynth fdelay4
aout3a pvsynth fdelay3
aout2a pvsynth fdelay2
aout1a pvsynth fdelay1
aout5 tone aout5a,500
aout4 tone aout4a,500
aout3 tone aout3a,500
aout2 tone aout2a,500
aout1 tone aout1a,500
kin rms aout1a ;ain
outvalue "input level",kin
aoutl butterhp kamp*kenv2*(aout1*0.58) + kamp*kenv1*(aout2*0.28 + aout3*0.72 + aout4*0.14 + aout5*0.86),65
koutl rms aoutl
outvalue "output level",koutl
aoutr butterhp kamp*kenv2*(aout1*0.42) + kamp*kenv1*(aout2*0.72 + aout3*0.28 + aout4*0.86 + aout5*0.14),65
out  aoutl,aoutr
gaverbl = aoutl*0.8
gaverbr = aoutr*0.8
endin

instr 99
al,ar reverbsc gaverbl, gaverbr, 0.95, 5000
outs al,ar
gaverbl = 0
gaverbr = 0
endin

</CsInstruments>
<CsScore>
t 0 48
i99 0 400
i1 0 400
i8 0.25 0.01

</CsScore>
</CsoundSynthesizer>

On Jun 19, 2020, at 1:12 PM, Joseph Hughes <joehughesmail@GMAIL.COM> wrote:

[...]

Date2020-06-19 22:23
From"Dr. Richard Boulanger"
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Csound piece
Thanks for sharing your code Bill.  It's going to be a blast to play with it.

Best

On Fri, Jun 19, 2020 at 4:26 PM Bill Alves <alves@g.hmc.edu> wrote:
[...]

Beautiful work, thanks for sharing!

On Fri, Jun 19, 2020 at 3:35 PM Bill Alves <alves@g.hmc.edu> wrote:
Here’s a piece I wrote for live Csound processing of a cellist. I used pvsanal/pvsynth to stretch out the sound simultaneously at different rates. In this version, I also stretched out the video by the same ratios so that you can both see and hear the stretching. The piece is written so that different points line up on each repetition, which is somewhat more apparent with the video.

Thanks to superb cellist Maggie Parkins for performing and recording the piece!

Bill

Bill Alves
Professor of Music, The Claremont Colleges
Harvey Mudd College
301 Platt Blvd. Claremont CA 91711
http://pages.hmc.edu/alves/
http://www.billalves.com/

SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd] Csound piece
Really nice piece and great idea to do the matching video.

On 19 Jun 2020, at 20:35, Bill Alves <alves@g.hmc.edu> wrote:

[...]

Fromluis jure
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Csound piece
Nice piece and video, and thanks for sharing the code.

FromBill Alves
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Csound piece
Thanks to everyone for your supportive comments. This is a great community that continues to teach and inspire me.

Bill

Bill Alves
Professor of Music, The Claremont Colleges
Harvey Mudd College
301 Platt Blvd. Claremont CA 91711
http://pages.hmc.edu/alves/
http://www.billalves.com/

Date2020-06-20 06:17
Fromrmgls
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Csound piece
Hello Bill,

the code is very instructive, and the piece beautiful.

Thanks again.

Raoul

> [...]
>>> Professor of Music, The Claremont Colleges
>>> Harvey Mudd College
>>> 301 Platt Blvd. Claremont CA 91711
>>> http://pages.hmc.edu/alves/
>>> http://www.billalves.com/

>> --
>> Dr. Oscar Pablo Di Liscia
>> Profesor Titular
>> Director Programa de Investigación "Sistemas Temporales y Síntesis Espacial en el Arte Sonoro"
>> http://stseas.web.unq.edu.ar/
>> Director Colección Editorial "Música y Ciencia"
>> Escuela Universitaria de Artes
>> Universidad Nacional de Quilmes
>> Argentina
>> Csound mailing list Csound@listserv.heanet.ie https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND Send bugs reports to https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here
>
> Bill Alves
> Professor of Music, The Claremont Colleges

FromRory Walsh
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Csound piece
Lovely stuff BIll. I very much enjoyed this while drinking my morning coffee (before the kids woke up!) ;)

On Sat, 20 Jun 2020 at 06:18, rmgls <rmgls@orange.fr> wrote:
> [...]

>>> Professor of Music, The Claremont Colleges
>>> Harvey Mudd College
>>> 301 Platt Blvd. Claremont CA 91711
>>> http://pages.hmc.edu/alves/
>>> http://www.billalves.com/

>> --
>> Dr. Oscar Pablo Di Liscia
>> Profesor Titular
>> Director Programa de Investigación "Sistemas Temporales y Síntesis Espacial en el Arte Sonoro"
>> http://stseas.web.unq.edu.ar/
>> Director Colección Editorial "Música y Ciencia"
>> Escuela Universitaria de Artes
>> Universidad Nacional de Quilmes
>> Argentina
>> Csound mailing list Csound@listserv.heanet.ie https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND Send bugs reports to https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here
>
> Bill Alves
> Professor of Music, The Claremont Colleges

FromPablo Frank
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Csound piece
You ***MUST*** send this work to some composition competition (Bourges?).  And just be aware that if this work is not stated as among the bests, the jury is wrong.

Thanks to everyone for your supportive comments. This is a great community that continues to teach and inspire me.

Bill

Bill Alves
Professor of Music, The Claremont Colleges
Harvey Mudd College
301 Platt Blvd. Claremont CA 91711
http://pages.hmc.edu/alves/
http://www.billalves.com/

FromDave Seidel
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Csound piece
Beautiful piece, Bill! The video really indicates the process in an intuitive way.

- Dave

On Fri, Jun 19, 2020, 3:35 PM Bill Alves <alves@g.hmc.edu> wrote:
Here’s a piece I wrote for live Csound processing of a cellist. I used pvsanal/pvsynth to stretch out the sound simultaneously at different rates. In this version, I also stretched out the video by the same ratios so that you can both see and hear the stretching. The piece is written so that different points line up on each repetition, which is somewhat more apparent with the video.

Thanks to superb cellist Maggie Parkins for performing and recording the piece!

Bill

Bill Alves
Professor of Music, The Claremont Colleges
Harvey Mudd College
301 Platt Blvd. Claremont CA 91711
http://pages.hmc.edu/alves/
http://www.billalves.com/

Fromjohn
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Csound piece
d sould delete notes whettthey are held or not; but I have not tested
that.

On Fri, 19 Jun 2020, Steven Yi wrote:

> Beautiful work, thanks for sharing!
>
> On Fri, Jun 19, 2020 at 3:35 PM Bill Alves  wrote:
>       Here’s a piece I wrote for live Csound processing of a cellist. I
>       used pvsanal/pvsynth to stretch out the sound simultaneously at
>       different rates. In this version, I also stretched out the video
>       by the same ratios so that you can both see and hear the
>       stretching. The piece is written so that different points line up
>       on each repetition, which is somewhat more apparent with the
>       video.
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZunCmHKRiOk
>
> Thanks to superb cellist Maggie Parkins for performing and recording the
> piece!
>
> Bill
>
> Bill Alves
> Professor of Music, The Claremont Colleges
> Harvey Mudd College
> 301 Platt Blvd. Claremont CA 91711
> http://pages.hmc.edu/alves/
> http://www.billalves.com/

> https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features
> can be posted here

> https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features can
> be posted here

FromBill Alves
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Csound piece
I greatly appreciate your generous words, Richard, and all that I’ve learned from you.

Bill

On Jun 19, 2020, at 12:47 PM, Dr. Richard Boulanger <rboulanger@berklee.edu> wrote:

[...]

Date2020-06-20 23:41
FromJohn ff
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Csound piece
Just to add that piece went well with me and my wife.  Thank you.

==John ff

On 19 Jun 2020, at 20:35, Bill Alves <alves@g.hmc.edu> wrote:
Here’s a piece I wrote for live Csound processing of a cellist. I used pvsanal/pvsynth to stretch out the sound simultaneously at different rates. In this version, I also stretched out the video by the same ratios so that you can both see and hear the stretching. The piece is written so that different points line up on each repetition, which is somewhat more apparent with the video.

Thanks to superb cellist Maggie Parkins for performing and recording the piece!

Bill

Bill Alves
Professor of Music, The Claremont Colleges
Harvey Mudd College
301 Platt Blvd. Claremont CA 91711
http://pages.hmc.edu/alves/
http://www.billalves.com/

SubjectRe: [Csnd] Csound piece
Very nice. I'd live ro heart this in a good room with good speakers.

Best,
Mike

On Sat, Jun 20, 2020, 18:41 John ff <jpff@codemist.co.uk> wrote:
[...]

Fromfrancesco armando Porta
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Csound piece
Thanks for sharing. Beautiful music and video, really.

Ciao,
Francesco.

Il dom 21 giu 2020, 02:42 Michael Gogins <michael.gogins@gmail.com> ha scritto:
[...]

Bringing this up as I was working on pitch/formant shift just now, but
what do you think about using semitone like this:

        instr 1
            ain = inch(1)

            isiz = 2048

            ipitch_shift = semitone(4)
            iform_shift = semitone(-2)

            fs1 = pvsanal(dcblock2(ain),isiz,isiz/8,isiz,1)
            fs2 = pvscale(pvswarp(fs1,iform_shift,0),ipitch_shift)
            asig pvsynth fs2

            out(asig,asig)
        endin

for manual examples?  I find that pitch/formant shifting I've seen in
plugins exposes semitone values for users.  (I've been using semitone
and octave a fair amount in recent programming so it's been on my
mind.)

 wrote:

> Here’s a very small instrument that transforms a vocal sound. I have looked for
> the right combination of processes and parameters and finally it seems to do
> what I was attempting. I’ll share here in case it is any use to you
>
>  instr 1
>  isiz = 2048
>  as = diskin2:a("fox.wav",1,0,1)
>  fs1 = pvsanal(dcblock2(as),isiz,isiz/8,isiz,1)
>  fs2 = pvscale(pvswarp(fs1,0.6,0),2)
>  a2 pvsynth fs2
>  outs a2
> endin
> schedule(1,0,20)
>
> best

SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd] code share: formant warp
I think that’s probably very intuitive to use (with semitones).