[Csnd] signalFlowGraphOpcodes unconnect ?

Date2019-11-07 17:28
FromBernard Geyer
Subject[Csnd] signalFlowGraphOpcodes unconnect ?
I would like signalFlowGraphOpcodes to make different connexions of my
instruments.
Because they have to be used in th header, I use compilestr to add the
connections, like this:

instr connect1
  ires compilestr {{
    connect	 "fox", "fox_out", "reverb", "reverb_in1"
    connect	 "fox", "fox_out", "reverb", "reverb_in2"
    connect	 "reverb", "reverb_out1", "mix", "mix_in1"
    connect	 "reverb", "reverb_out2", "mix", "mix_in2"
  }}
endin

Is it possible to undo the connections (to create new ones) without
reloading csound ?

--
Sent from: http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csound-General-f1093014.html

SubjectRe: [Csnd] signalFlowGraphOpcodes unconnect ?
You can add new connections at any init time. Do you want to remove existing connections? I think you can just reassign them. I will check.

Regards,
Mike

On Thu, Nov 7, 2019, 10:16 Bernard Geyer <micamusic2@gmail.com> wrote:
I would like signalFlowGraphOpcodes to make different connexions of my
instruments.
Because they have to be used in th header, I use compilestr to add the
connections, like this:

instr connect1
  ires compilestr {{
    connect      "fox", "fox_out", "reverb", "reverb_in1"
    connect      "fox", "fox_out", "reverb", "reverb_in2"
    connect      "reverb", "reverb_out1", "mix", "mix_in1"
    connect      "reverb", "reverb_out2", "mix", "mix_in2"
  }}
endin

Is it possible to undo the connections (to create new ones) without
reloading csound ?

--
Sent from: http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csound-General-f1093014.html

FromBernard Geyer
SubjectRe: [Csnd] signalFlowGraphOpcodes unconnect ?
> I think you can just reassign them
But we can send one outlet to more than one inlet (like in my example).
And I use even more than 2 connections.

--
Sent from: http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csound-General-f1093014.html

FromRory Walsh
SubjectRe: [Csnd] signalFlowGraphOpcodes unconnect ?

- There are the chn_ opcodes. If I understand well, it's a dictionary
structure with string keys.
Some people prefer that. I don't know the reason, are there faster ?

Personally speaking, I prefer to use these opcodes for this kind of thing as offer the most flexibility, albeit with a little more work. I don't think there is anything you can't do with channels that you can do with the other systems you mention. But IIRC there is plenty the other systems can't do that you can achieve with channels. I imagine that's why many users prefer to use them.

FromBernard Geyer
SubjectRe: [Csnd] signalFlowGraphOpcodes unconnect ?
Hi Michael,

You said here:
http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/signal-flow-graph-opcodes-td5732546.html
> There is no "disconnect" opcode. But it would not be hard to write one.
> What you are trying to do could easily be done with global variables.
> There can be as many graphs as you like.

I'm a little confused, because there are at least 4 ways to do the same,
each with different advantages  :

- signalFlowGraphOpcodes can assign the same outlet to more than one inlet,
and so, permits to connect an instrument to different effects with an easy
way of writing it

- zak is very flexible,  it is based on numbers, so you have to remember the
numbers. You can put them in variables. With zak + variables, this gives you
the possibility to change the connection on the fly easily, by just changing
the content of that variables.

- you can do the same with global variables and arrays or maybe tables, you
have to do it "by hand", but you can do what you want.

- There are the chn_ opcodes. If I understand well, it's a dictionary
structure with string keys.
Some people prefer that. I don't know the reason, are there faster ?
Of course, there is the advantage to control them from GUI objects, but with
chnexport you can do the same with global variables.

- There are also the mixer opcodes that I have not tested yet, and that
gives the extra commodity of controlling the volume of the connected signal.

There is also the question, how to do inserts instead of sends.
I suppose I have to use subinstr or UDos for that.

--
Sent from: http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csound-General-f1093014.html