[Csnd] Generate samples

Date2019-12-02 12:20
FromAtte <00000576b2aa4c8e-dmarc-request@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE>
Subject[Csnd] Generate samples
I found this csd that generates a lot of individual samples:
github.com/chronopolis5k/Kickblast

This got me thinking, I'd like do some experiments like this on my own. However:

1) The .csd doesn't work (samples are blank, gives an warning: WARNING: instr kick not found)

2) There seems to be alot going on, some of which I don't really understand.

Does anyone have a very basic csd that generates individual samples, then I can elaborate from there? Also: what is the magic/trick that will make csound output individual samples instead of the usual render-the-whole-shebang?

Any input appreciated!
--
Atte

SubjectRe: [Csnd] Generate samples
interesting csd -- for me it works fine.  perhaps you missed something
in copying?  the instrument "kick" is certainly there.

to answer your question: the opcode fout lets you export anything as
seperate sound file.  it is in line 147 in the csd.

	joachim

On 02/12/2019 13:20, Atte wrote:
> I found this csd that generates a lot of individual samples:
> github.com/chronopolis5k/Kickblast
>
> This got me thinking, I'd like do some experiments like this on my own. However:
>
> 1) The .csd doesn't work (samples are blank, gives an warning: WARNING: instr kick not found)
>
> 2) There seems to be alot going on, some of which I don't really understand.
>
> Does anyone have a very basic csd that generates individual samples, then I can elaborate from there? Also: what is the magic/trick that will make csound output individual samples instead of the usual render-the-whole-shebang?
>
> Any input appreciated!
> --
> Atte

>          https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

FromRory Walsh
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Generate samples
fout is your friend.

instr 1
   kEnv mdasr .1, .3, .6, .1
   aSig vco2 kEnv, 200
   outs aSig, aSig
   fout "mySample.wav", 4, aSig, aSig
endin

schedule(1, 0, 1)

Btw, Micah isn't on this list afaik, but you can find him hanging out on the Csound slack channel. You could also file an issue on that github repo.

On Mon, 2 Dec 2019 at 12:20, Atte <00000576b2aa4c8e-dmarc-request@listserv.heanet.ie> wrote:
I found this csd that generates a lot of individual samples:
github.com/chronopolis5k/Kickblast

This got me thinking, I'd like do some experiments like this on my own. However:

1) The .csd doesn't work (samples are blank, gives an warning: WARNING: instr kick not found)

2) There seems to be alot going on, some of which I don't really understand.

Does anyone have a very basic csd that generates individual samples, then I can elaborate from there? Also: what is the magic/trick that will make csound output individual samples instead of the usual render-the-whole-shebang?

Any input appreciated!
--
Atte

FromAtte <00000576b2aa4c8e-dmarc-request@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE>
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Generate samples
On Mon, 2 Dec 2019 13:58:08 +0100
joachim heintz  wrote:

> interesting csd -- for me it works fine.

Just cloned it from github, and it works! Must have been an old csd I had laying around, sorry about that!

And thanks for pointing me to fout!

New question: the csd in question generates in "real time" (so generating 100 samples of 2 seconds would take 200 seconds. Is there a way to "render as fast as possible"? Sorry for the noob questions, I've never used csound like this before :-)

Cheers!
--
Atte
http://latestyoutube.a773.dk | http://a773.dk

SubjectRe: [Csnd] Generate samples
yes this is only depending on your output options:
- if -o dac you will write in real time
- if -n it should work "as fast as possible"
(see https://csound.com/docs/manual/CommandFlagsCategory.html)

best -
	joachim

On 02/12/2019 15:23, Atte wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Dec 2019 13:58:08 +0100
> joachim heintz  wrote:
>
>> interesting csd -- for me it works fine.
>
> Just cloned it from github, and it works! Must have been an old csd I had laying around, sorry about that!
>
> And thanks for pointing me to fout!
>
> New question: the csd in question generates in "real time" (so generating 100 samples of 2 seconds would take 200 seconds. Is there a way to "render as fast as possible"? Sorry for the noob questions, I've never used csound like this before :-)
>
> Cheers!

SubjectRe: [Csnd] Generate samples
Instead of -o dac use -o filename

> On 2 Dec 2019, at 14:23, Atte <00000576b2aa4c8e-dmarc-request@listserv.heanet.ie> wrote:
>
> On Mon, 2 Dec 2019 13:58:08 +0100
> joachim heintz  wrote:
>
>> interesting csd -- for me it works fine.
>
> Just cloned it from github, and it works! Must have been an old csd I had laying around, sorry about that!
>
> And thanks for pointing me to fout!
>
> New question: the csd in question generates in "real time" (so generating 100 samples of 2 seconds would take 200 seconds. Is there a way to "render as fast as possible"? Sorry for the noob questions, I've never used csound like this before :-)
>
> Cheers!
> --
> Atte
> http://latestyoutube.a773.dk | http://a773.dk

>        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

FromAtte <00000576b2aa4c8e-dmarc-request@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE>
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Generate samples
On Mon, 2 Dec 2019 18:34:09 +0100
joachim heintz  wrote:

> yes this is only depending on your output options:
> - if -o dac you will write in real time
> - if -n it should work "as fast as possible"

Thanks alot! I'll be busy for days! Amazing!

Cheers!
--
Atte
http://latestyoutube.a773.dk | http://a773.dk

FromJosh Moore
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Generate samples
I've been wondering about this for a minute, but is there a way to pre-compute samples before runtime into tables, like say i have a kick sample, but I want to make a copy of it drenched in reverb for 8 beat ticks pre-rendered to memory without committing to disk first?

On Mon, Dec 2, 2019 at 12:05 PM Atte <00000576b2aa4c8e-dmarc-request@listserv.heanet.ie> wrote:
On Mon, 2 Dec 2019 18:34:09 +0100
joachim heintz <jh@JOACHIMHEINTZ.DE> wrote:

> yes this is only depending on your output options:
> - if -o dac you will write in real time
> - if -n it should work "as fast as possible"

Thanks alot! I'll be busy for days! Amazing!

Cheers!
--
Atte
http://latestyoutube.a773.dk | http://a773.dk

SubjectRe: [Csnd] Generate samples
You can write into tables using tablew. If you want to do this as fast as possible before carrying on with realtime play, you could employ a k-rate loop to do all the processing in a single k-cycle.

On 3 Dec 2019, at 05:07, Josh Moore <kh405.7h30ry@gmail.com> wrote:

I've been wondering about this for a minute, but is there a way to pre-compute samples before runtime into tables, like say i have a kick sample, but I want to make a copy of it drenched in reverb for 8 beat ticks pre-rendered to memory without committing to disk first?

On Mon, Dec 2, 2019 at 12:05 PM Atte <00000576b2aa4c8e-dmarc-request@listserv.heanet.ie> wrote:
On Mon, 2 Dec 2019 18:34:09 +0100
joachim heintz <jh@JOACHIMHEINTZ.DE> wrote:

> yes this is only depending on your output options:
> - if -o dac you will write in real time
> - if -n it should work "as fast as possible"

Thanks alot! I'll be busy for days! Amazing!

Cheers!
--
Atte
http://latestyoutube.a773.dk | http://a773.dk

FromAtte <00000576b2aa4c8e-dmarc-request@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE>
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Generate samples
On Mon, 2 Dec 2019 13:20:09 +0100
Atte <00000576b2aa4c8e-dmarc-request@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE> wrote:

> I found this csd that generates a lot of individual samples:
> github.com/chronopolis5k/Kickblast

After playing with it yesterday, I kind of decided to have a vanilla realtime csd that simply uses random to "sound different" on each run. Then I wrote a small wrapper script in python that does a bit of book keeping, and calls csound on th csd with -o a given number of times.

Seems cleaner than trying to do everything from within in the csd...