[Csnd] Building CSound for Android

Date2019-08-05 18:09
FromSandro Andrade
Subject[Csnd] Building CSound for Android
Hi there,

I'm trying to run a .csd file using the fluidengine on Android. It used to work before on Android 5 but now I'm facing a "fluid: unable to load sf_GMbank.sf2" error. I've checked the file exists in the provided path and I can successfully open a .csd file on the same directory, so I think permissions are ok.

I'd be grateful if you could shed some light in the following questions:

1) How do I know which Android NDK version was used when building the binary package https://github.com/csound/csound/releases/download/6.13.0/Csound6.13.0-Android.zip?

2) Apparently my application uses a libc++_shared.so version different than the one provided by Csound6.13.0-Android.zip. I'm using Android NDK r20.

3) I managed to successfully build Csound for Android using Android NDK r20 but when trying to build the libfluidsynth plugin I got the following error:

Android NDK: jni/Android.mk: Cannot find module with tag 'fluidsynth-android/jni' in import path
Android NDK: Are you sure your NDK_MODULE_PATH variable is properly defined ?

There is no jni folder in fluidsynth-android repository

4) I'd expect csound's libfluidOpcodes.so requiring the Android build of libfluidsynth.so as a dependency but the binary package contains no libfluidsynth.so. It is statically linked somehow?

Thanks in advance,
Sandro

SubjectRe: [Csnd] Building CSound for Android
The libfluidsynth opcode library is using a static link to
fluidsynth-android, which should build a .a. You will need to define
the NDK_MODULE_PATH to the pluginLibs folder.  (I think the variable
used to be set automatically in our build scripts, not sure why it
isn't now.)  Try setting that environment variable before building and
write back here if there's any issues.

Also, fluidsynth-android certainly has a jni folder:

https://bitbucket.org/kunstmusik/fluidsynth-android/src/master/

Maybe there was a bad checkout? Try rm -rf that folder in pluginLibs
and try re-running downloadDependencies.sh.

On Mon, Aug 5, 2019 at 1:19 PM Sandro Andrade  wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I'm trying to run a .csd file using the fluidengine on Android. It used to work before on Android 5 but now I'm facing a "fluid: unable to load sf_GMbank.sf2" error. I've checked the file exists in the provided path and I can successfully open a .csd file on the same directory, so I think permissions are ok.
>
> I'd be grateful if you could shed some light in the following questions:
>
> 1) How do I know which Android NDK version was used when building the binary package https://github.com/csound/csound/releases/download/6.13.0/Csound6.13.0-Android.zip?
>
> 2) Apparently my application uses a libc++_shared.so version different than the one provided by Csound6.13.0-Android.zip. I'm using Android NDK r20.
>
> 3) I managed to successfully build Csound for Android using Android NDK r20 but when trying to build the libfluidsynth plugin I got the following error:
>
> Android NDK: jni/Android.mk: Cannot find module with tag 'fluidsynth-android/jni' in import path
> Android NDK: Are you sure your NDK_MODULE_PATH variable is properly defined ?
>
> There is no jni folder in fluidsynth-android repository
>
> 4) I'd expect csound's libfluidOpcodes.so requiring the Android build of libfluidsynth.so as a dependency but the binary package contains no libfluidsynth.so. It is statically linked somehow?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Sandro

FromSandro Andrade
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Building CSound for Android
On Mon, Aug 5, 2019 at 3:25 PM Steven Yi <stevenyi@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Steven,

The libfluidsynth opcode library is using a static link to
fluidsynth-android, which should build a .a. You will need to define
the NDK_MODULE_PATH to the pluginLibs folder.  (I think the variable
used to be set automatically in our build scripts, not sure why it
isn't now.)  Try setting that environment variable before building and
write back here if there's any issues.

Also, fluidsynth-android certainly has a jni folder:

https://bitbucket.org/kunstmusik/fluidsynth-android/src/master/

Maybe there was a bad checkout? Try rm -rf that folder in pluginLibs
and try re-running downloadDependencies.sh.

Thanks for the hints. I've managed to successfully build libfluidOpcodes.so and libcsoundandroid.so but
I'm still unable to load the soundfont file. fluid_synth_sfload is returning a -1 ID at pcodes/fluidOpcodes/fluidOpcodes.cpp:196. Any hint about how to enable FLUID_LOG? I suspect either fluidsynth has no sf loaders installed or the loader isn't being able to load the soundfont for some reason.

Thanks,
Sandro

On Mon, Aug 5, 2019 at 1:19 PM Sandro Andrade <sandro.andrade@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I'm trying to run a .csd file using the fluidengine on Android. It used to work before on Android 5 but now I'm facing a "fluid: unable to load sf_GMbank.sf2" error. I've checked the file exists in the provided path and I can successfully open a .csd file on the same directory, so I think permissions are ok.
>
> I'd be grateful if you could shed some light in the following questions:
>
> 1) How do I know which Android NDK version was used when building the binary package https://github.com/csound/csound/releases/download/6.13.0/Csound6.13.0-Android.zip?
>
> 2) Apparently my application uses a libc++_shared.so version different than the one provided by Csound6.13.0-Android.zip. I'm using Android NDK r20.
>
> 3) I managed to successfully build Csound for Android using Android NDK r20 but when trying to build the libfluidsynth plugin I got the following error:
>
> Android NDK: jni/Android.mk: Cannot find module with tag 'fluidsynth-android/jni' in import path
> Android NDK: Are you sure your NDK_MODULE_PATH variable is properly defined ?
>
> There is no jni folder in fluidsynth-android repository
>
> 4) I'd expect csound's libfluidOpcodes.so requiring the Android build of libfluidsynth.so as a dependency but the binary package contains no libfluidsynth.so. It is statically linked somehow?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Sandro

FromPete Goodeve
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Building CSound for Android
AttachmentsNone

SubjectRe: [Csnd] Building CSound for Android
I'll look into this.

On Wed, Aug 7, 2019, 21:49 Pete Goodeve <pete.goodeve@computer.org> wrote:
On Mon, Aug 05, 2019 at 02:09:16PM -0300, Sandro Andrade wrote:
> I'm trying to run a .csd file using the fluidengine on Android. It used to
> work before on Android 5 but now I'm facing a "fluid: unable to load
> sf_GMbank.sf2" error. I've checked the file exists in the provided path and
> I can successfully open a .csd file on the same directory, so I think
> permissions are ok.

I've been playing with Mike Gogins' precompiled package 1.3.3 for
Android, and I also have no luck with fluidsynth.  In fact it's as bit
worse... if I try to run any csd with a fluidengine opcode, the app just
goes away!  No error-message clue, or anything.

> [...]
>
> 4) I'd expect csound's libfluidOpcodes.so requiring the Android build of
> libfluidsynth.so as a dependency but the binary package contains no
> libfluidsynth.so. It is statically linked somehow?

In fact, if I do a symbol dump of the libfluidOpcodes.so in the apk,
it does seem to have all the fluidsynth symbols that the opcodes
don't use (and don't appear in, say, the linux version of the plugin).
Also the file is many times larger, and doesn't show a dependency
on libfluidsynth.so, so I infer that it *is* statically linked.

So I'd think it should work, but it doesn't.

        -- Pete --

FromSandro Andrade
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Building CSound for Android
On Wed, Aug 7, 2019 at 11:36 PM Michael Gogins <michael.gogins@gmail.com> wrote:
I'll look into this.

Thanks, Michael. I confirm this worked fine with Csound 6.11.0.
--
Sandro S. Andrade, Ph.D.
Professor in Department of Computer Science at Federal Institute of Education, Science, and Technology of Bahia (IFBA)

On Wed, Aug 7, 2019, 21:49 Pete Goodeve <pete.goodeve@computer.org> wrote:
On Mon, Aug 05, 2019 at 02:09:16PM -0300, Sandro Andrade wrote:
> I'm trying to run a .csd file using the fluidengine on Android. It used to
> work before on Android 5 but now I'm facing a "fluid: unable to load
> sf_GMbank.sf2" error. I've checked the file exists in the provided path and
> I can successfully open a .csd file on the same directory, so I think
> permissions are ok.

I've been playing with Mike Gogins' precompiled package 1.3.3 for
Android, and I also have no luck with fluidsynth.  In fact it's as bit
worse... if I try to run any csd with a fluidengine opcode, the app just
goes away!  No error-message clue, or anything.

> [...]
>
> 4) I'd expect csound's libfluidOpcodes.so requiring the Android build of
> libfluidsynth.so as a dependency but the binary package contains no
> libfluidsynth.so. It is statically linked somehow?

In fact, if I do a symbol dump of the libfluidOpcodes.so in the apk,
it does seem to have all the fluidsynth symbols that the opcodes
don't use (and don't appear in, say, the linux version of the plugin).
Also the file is many times larger, and doesn't show a dependency
on libfluidsynth.so, so I infer that it *is* statically linked.

So I'd think it should work, but it doesn't.

        -- Pete --

SubjectRe: [Csnd] Building CSound for Android
I have entered an issue in my csound-extended repository to debug this.

I can reproduce the issue. Everything is fine up until the SoundFont
is loaded, then the Csound for Android app just crashes without any
informative messages.

I know that I can run a .csd that plays a sample soundfile if it is
stored in my public data directory, and I also have all the files I am
trying to use to play the SoundFont, including the SoundFont file, in
the same public data directory.

Frompete.goodeve@COMPUTER.ORG
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Building CSound for Android
AttachmentsNone

Date2019-08-11 22:10
FromArthur Hunkins <000001e1d761dea2-dmarc-request@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE>
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Building CSound for Android
Mike -

With your next release of Csound for Android, could you please include 9 sliders (instead of 5) in the widget views?

I'd much appreciate it for two reasons:
1) With the inclusion of the exciter code (and the 9 sliders) my recent work will be playable on a standard Android Csound app;
2) In porting MIDI versions of live-performance pieces to Android (as I typically do), at least 8-9 sliders or knobs are the norm. (Currently I either have to go the Cabbage route, or try to use my alternative Android apps, which unfortunately don't include the desired exciter opcode. Then there is the HTML option - but this is massively labor-intensive.)

I can't see any backward compatibility issues with such a request, and it would certainly facilitate my work. And at the same time, I hope it would not be a major job, considering you're doing a new release anyway. In any case, thanks for considering this proposal.

Art H.

On Thu, Aug 8, 2019 at 9:21 AM Sandro Andrade <sandro.andrade@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 7, 2019 at 11:36 PM Michael Gogins <michael.gogins@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I'll look into this.
>

> Thanks, Michael. I confirm this worked fine with Csound 6.11.0.
> --
> Sandro S. Andrade, Ph.D.
> Professor in Department of Computer Science at Federal Institute of Education, Science, and Technology of Bahia (IFBA)
> Researcher at GSORT Distributed Systems Group
> Contributor at Qt and KDE FLOSS Projects

>>> I've been playing with Mike Gogins' precompiled package 1.3.3 for
>>> Android, and I also have no luck with fluidsynth.  In fact it's as bit
>>> worse... if I try to run any csd with a fluidengine opcode, the app just
>>> goes away!  No error-message clue, or anything.

>>> In fact, if I do a symbol dump of the libfluidOpcodes.so in the apk,
>>> it does seem to have all the fluidsynth symbols that the opcodes
>>> don't use (and don't appear in, say, the linux version of the plugin).
>>> Also the file is many times larger, and doesn't show a dependency
>>> on libfluidsynth.so, so I infer that it *is* statically linked.
>>>
>>> So I'd think it should work, but it doesn't.
>>>
>>>         -- Pete --
>>>
>>> Csound mailing list
>>> Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>>> Send bugs reports to
>>>         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

Frompete.goodeve@COMPUTER.ORG
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Building CSound for Android
AttachmentsNone

Date2019-08-12 05:27
FromArthur Hunkins <000001e1d761dea2-dmarc-request@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE>
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Building CSound for Android
Interesting.

My LG tablet does not allow 90-degree rotation for Csound for Android 6.11.0. My Nexus 1 smartphone does allow rotation.

And this is with, in Settings, permitting such rotation (depending on device position) in both devices.

On Sun, Aug 11, 2019 at 8:44 PM <pete.goodeve@computer.org> wrote:
Mike, if you do add more sliders, could you also add an option to rotate them 90 deg?

My PDA normally runs in landscape mode (it has a physical keyboard, so portrait mode
is awkward), and 8 horizontal sliders would be pretty cramped.  Maybe the number should be
selectable, too, as longer sliders are nice if you have the space.

Thanks,

        -- Pete --

Frompete.goodeve@COMPUTER.ORG
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Building CSound for Android
AttachmentsNone

SubjectRe: [Csnd] Building CSound for Android
I have released a new version of the Csound for Android app in my
csound-extended repository here:
https://github.com/gogins/csound-extended/releases/tag/v1.3.4.

This release fixes the SoundFont crash, has a new example using
SoundFonts, and has 9 preconfigured sliders instead of 5. The
orientation of the sliders is fixed.

If there are no new issues with this I will post it to the Google Play
Store in the next few days.

Regards,

On Mon, Aug 12, 2019 at 12:28 AM Arthur Hunkins
<000001e1d761dea2-dmarc-request@listserv.heanet.ie> wrote:

> Interesting.
>
> My LG tablet does not allow 90-degree rotation for Csound for Android 6.11.0. My Nexus 1 smartphone does allow rotation.
>
> And this is with, in Settings, permitting such rotation (depending on device position) in both devices.
>
> Art Hunkins
> http://www.arthunkins.com
>

> On Sun, Aug 11, 2019 at 8:44 PM  wrote:
>>
>> Mike, if you do add more sliders, could you also add an option to rotate them 90 deg?
>>
>> My PDA normally runs in landscape mode (it has a physical keyboard, so portrait mode
>> is awkward), and 8 horizontal sliders would be pretty cramped.  Maybe the number should be
>> selectable, too, as longer sliders are nice if you have the space.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>>         -- Pete --
>>
>> Csound mailing list
>> Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>> Send bugs reports to
>>         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

FromArthur Hunkins <000001e1d761dea2-dmarc-request@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE>
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Building CSound for Android
Hello Mike -

Happy to see the new Android release (especially the 9 sliders, and exciter).

I downloaded your .apk to my computer and copied to the Download folder of two Android devices - an LG tablet (OS 5.02) and a fairly good-sized Nexus 1 smartphone (OS 7.1.1).

Three items of feedback:

1) Installing on the Nexus 1 went fine. Installing on the LG tablet gave me: "Parser Error: There is a problem parsing the package". One possible hint: in the Download folder the Nexus properly displayed the CS icon; with the tablet, a plain, gray Android icon displayed. FWIW, the same .apk download was copied to both devices, and size of file was identical (22.42MB). Is the new .apk perhaps not compatible with OS5.02? (All previous versions of Android Csound *are* compatible.)

2) On the smartphone, only the first seven sliders are visible without scrolling (even with the small font size, though I doubt this is a factor). This won't work for me (or perhaps anyone?) Here are a couple of ideas as to what might be done about it: 1) Eliminate the trackpad widget, or perhaps better, make it an option. (I for one have never used it in Csound6, though I did once or twice in Csound5). 2) Reduce the height of the buttons, or maybe even make them optional.

3) A final request: I would very much like a small message/console display either at the bottom of the screen or just above the sliders. Actually, for me, only a *single* line (the current last printed console line) is sufficient. In several pieces, including my last, I print current controller values every second so that a performer can (optionally) tailor slider settings to specific values.) A highly satisfactory arrangement for me, related to item #2 above, would be to have a widget option that allowed for the display of all 9 sliders, eliminating (or minimizing) the trackpad, and filling the remaining portion of the screen with console (message) output.

FWIW, my solutions to these GUI issues for earlier Android distributions (with *extensive* help from my son, Davse) are found at: http://www.arthunkins.com/Android Csound_Apps.htm . I've been very happy with them until recently (they accommodate up to 16 sliders and buttons - and the last one, Csound6c.apk, even has that single console line (top of screen). All these apps can coexist with your canonical version on a single device.

My only problem is that earlier Csounds (including your Android distros) didn't include *exciter*. I'm very happy, and grateful, that your new edition *does* include it, and only hope that your new version will also have the above features that will allow performance of my previous Android works as well on a "canonical" edition

Thanks for all your great work.

On Fri, Aug 16, 2019 at 11:16 AM Michael Gogins <michael.gogins@gmail.com> wrote:
I have released a new version of the Csound for Android app in my
csound-extended repository here:
https://github.com/gogins/csound-extended/releases/tag/v1.3.4.

This release fixes the SoundFont crash, has a new example using
SoundFonts, and has 9 preconfigured sliders instead of 5. The
orientation of the sliders is fixed.

If there are no new issues with this I will post it to the Google Play
Store in the next few days.

Regards,

On Mon, Aug 12, 2019 at 12:28 AM Arthur Hunkins
<000001e1d761dea2-dmarc-request@listserv.heanet.ie> wrote:

> Interesting.
>
> My LG tablet does not allow 90-degree rotation for Csound for Android 6.11.0. My Nexus 1 smartphone does allow rotation.
>
> And this is with, in Settings, permitting such rotation (depending on device position) in both devices.
>
> Art Hunkins
> http://www.arthunkins.com
>

> On Sun, Aug 11, 2019 at 8:44 PM <pete.goodeve@computer.org> wrote:
>>
>> Mike, if you do add more sliders, could you also add an option to rotate them 90 deg?
>>
>> My PDA normally runs in landscape mode (it has a physical keyboard, so portrait mode
>> is awkward), and 8 horizontal sliders would be pretty cramped.  Maybe the number should be
>> selectable, too, as longer sliders are nice if you have the space.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>>         -- Pete --
>>
>> Csound mailing list
>> Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>> Send bugs reports to
>>         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

FromPete Goodeve
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Building CSound for Android
AttachmentsNone

Date2019-08-17 07:35
FromPete Goodeve
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Building CSound for Android
AttachmentsNone  None  fluidSynth.csd

Date2019-11-16 19:04
FromSandro Andrade
On Mon, Aug 5, 2019 at 4:15 PM Sandro Andrade <sandro.andrade@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

I still didn't manage to have it working. It seems the issue comes from fluidsynth-android rather than CSound. The crashes happens inside fluid_synth_sfload since it crashes before printing its return code. Both the soundfont and csd files are located at "/data/data/org.kde.minuet/files/"I confirm those two files as well as the libfluidOpcodes.so are successfully found at those locations.

Any hint about that? I didn't find a way to activate FLUID_LOG to get further information.

Thanks in advance,
Sandro Andrade