[Csnd] Requests re: Csound for Android

Date2019-10-15 03:50
FromArthur Hunkins <000001e1d761dea2-dmarc-request@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE>
Subject[Csnd] Requests re: Csound for Android
Hello, Mike:

Any chance Csound for Android could include these two features (perhaps one or the other has already been mentioned):

1) Search for samples first be made in the working directory - either automatically, or by setting the default Samples directory to Music (so this doesn't need to be explicitly set by the user)?
2) Make the current Android Csound handle .raw format samples correctly? (Most all samples in Csound are in this format, and previous Android Csounds handled .raw fine, I believe.) Currently "soundin" either can't locate them, or decipher its non-existent header, even with my specifying -1 for format when reading the sample into a function table with GEN01.

Other versions of Csound don't have these issues, and I like to distribute my Csound works - for all platforms - to simply copy .csd and any samples to the working directory, without other user interventions/complications. And currently I am obliged to convert Csound's .raw samples into .wav format for them to work with the latest Android Csound.

Thanks for consideration -

FromArthur Hunkins <000001e1d761dea2-dmarc-request@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE>
Subject[Csnd] Fwd: Requests re: Csound for Android
Mike -

I did a little research to compare the behavior relating to the two items/problems previously discussed (see previous email below). The two older Android Csounds I compared with the present one based on 6.13/4, are: CsdPlayer (CsoundApp-5.19.apk, based on 5.19) and the CsoundApplication-release.apk based on 6.06/7.

Both these previous versions had no problem dealing with (accessing) samples placed along with the .csd in the Home directory (Music). That includes 6.06 with its Samples directory, which did not need to be set at all. Thus, this issue seems new to the current Csound for Android.

OTOH, both previous versions, like the current one, couldn't do anything with RAW samples. All versions seem not to recognize this format (duly accompanied by a -1 flag in the format field of a GEN01 function). So, this is a longstanding issue. (FWIW, the same sample converted to WAV format shows no difficulties whatever - and conversion is my current "solution" to the issue). I presume this means that no one has yet been able to use Csound's RAW sample inventory directly in Android?