[Csnd] Minimal csound

Date2020-08-28 16:28
FromAaron Krister Johnson
Subject[Csnd] Minimal csound
Hi all,

I often dream of a minimal/modular build of Csound where perhaps a curses-based UI could allow one to select which opcode to build. Csound has gotten so large over the years (I realize that this is a subjective and relative statement) that for certain use cases, many of the opcode being present are overkill.

Is something like this possible? I know to some degree certain groups of opcode already are built optionally (Loris).

Best,

AKJ

FromArthur Hunkins <000001e1d761dea2-dmarc-request@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE>
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Minimal csound
Did you see my recent project:
CSOUND TO GO: A Minimal Windows Csound on a Stick (2020)

On Fri, Aug 28, 2020 at 11:29 AM Aaron Krister Johnson <akjmicro@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi all,

I often dream of a minimal/modular build of Csound where perhaps a curses-based UI could allow one to select which opcode to build. Csound has gotten so large over the years (I realize that this is a subjective and relative statement) that for certain use cases, many of the opcode being present are overkill.

Is something like this possible? I know to some degree certain groups of opcode already are built optionally (Loris).

Best,

AKJ

SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd] Minimal csound
With CMake you can disable the build of plugins by passing an option (e.g. -DBUILD_PYTHON_OPCODES=0). Also for plugins with dependencies, they will only build if you have the right libs installed.

I think Csound itself with no plugins is about 700K last time I looked, but it was not recently.

> On 28 Aug 2020, at 16:28, Aaron Krister Johnson  wrote:
>
> WARNINGThis email originated from outside of Maynooth University's Mail System. Do not reply, click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.
> Hi all,
>
> I often dream of a minimal/modular build of Csound where perhaps a curses-based UI could allow one to select which opcode to build. Csound has gotten so large over the years (I realize that this is a subjective and relative statement) that for certain use cases, many of the opcode being present are overkill.
>
> Is something like this possible? I know to some degree certain groups of opcode already are built optionally (Loris).
>
> Best,
>
> AKJ

Fromjohn
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Minimal csound
Of course the opcodes in the liraries except the main one can be moved out
of the way.  I actaually run that way most of te time.

We did have a versio for a short time in which all opcodes were removable
but it has a pain with mobile devices and mainly went.

On Fri, 28 Aug 2020, Aaron Krister Johnson wrote:

> Hi all,
> I often dream of a minimal/modular build of Csound where perhaps a
> curses-based UI could allow one to select which opcode to build. Csound has
> gotten so large over the years (I realize that this is a subjective and
> relative statement) that for certain use cases, many of the opcode being
> present are overkill.
>
> Is something like this possible? I know to some degree certain groups of
> opcode already are built optionally (Loris).
>
> Best,
>
> AKJ

> https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features can
> be posted here

FromArthur Hunkins <000001e1d761dea2-dmarc-request@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE>
SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd] Minimal csound
In Windows Csound, only two files are required to write audio to disk with a basic set of opcodes: csound.exe and csound64.dll. Together they total 4MB.

On Fri, Aug 28, 2020 at 11:39 AM Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
With CMake you can disable the build of plugins by passing an option (e.g. -DBUILD_PYTHON_OPCODES=0). Also for plugins with dependencies, they will only build if you have the right libs installed.

I think Csound itself with no plugins is about 700K last time I looked, but it was not recently.

> On 28 Aug 2020, at 16:28, Aaron Krister Johnson <akjmicro@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> WARNINGThis email originated from outside of Maynooth University's Mail System. Do not reply, click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.
> Hi all,
>
> I often dream of a minimal/modular build of Csound where perhaps a curses-based UI could allow one to select which opcode to build. Csound has gotten so large over the years (I realize that this is a subjective and relative statement) that for certain use cases, many of the opcode being present are overkill.
>
> Is something like this possible? I know to some degree certain groups of opcode already are built optionally (Loris).
>
> Best,
>
> AKJ

Fromalexandre burton <000007362cd17e7a-dmarc-request@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE>
SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd] Minimal csound
Attachmentsccmake-csound.png
and you can use ccmake — a curses interface to cmake – which makes it easy to “discover” and toggle the available switches (and paths). maybe close to what you’re looking for? (although the granularity is not opcode-level)

alex.

On Aug 28, 2020, at 11:39 AM, Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@MU.IE> wrote:

[...]

Attachmentsccmake-csound.png  ccmake-csound.png
Nice things to explore here...thanks for all the responses.