[Csnd] Question to devs about code formatting

Date2022-08-31 16:34
FromAaron Krister Johnson
Subject[Csnd] Question to devs about code formatting
In pursuing the codebase at times to get a handle on inner details of certain opcodes, I'm noticing some things that could use cleanup in the source code, mainly consistent and pretty formatting, and also some of the location of things is often confusing.

I'm not on the dev channel, but if it were welcome, I'd be happy to take on some look n' feel cleanup work with some PRs. Let me know if that would be welcome, and if so, I can join the DEV mailing list and details can be discussed there.

SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd] Question to devs about code formatting
I think John takes care of formatting, so it is with him.

But it's important to say that we take a very traditional line in terms of formatting and do not use some of the latter styles.

As far as I am concerned, I let emacs take care of indentations etc and that's about it, but I think John runs scripts regularly to format code.

On 31 Aug 2022, at 16:35, Aaron Krister Johnson <akjmicro@gmail.com> wrote:

*Warning*

This email originated from outside of Maynooth University's Mail System. Do not reply, click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.

In pursuing the codebase at times to get a handle on inner details of certain opcodes, I'm noticing some things that could use cleanup in the source code, mainly consistent and pretty formatting, and also some of the location of things is often confusing.

I'm not on the dev channel, but if it were welcome, I'd be happy to take on some look n' feel cleanup work with some PRs. Let me know if that would be welcome, and if so, I can join the DEV mailing list and details can be discussed there.

FromAaron Krister Johnson
SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd] Question to devs about code formatting
Well, whatever happens, I have to say, some of it ends up unreadable....and inconsistent within the file.

https://github.com/csound/csound/blob/master/Engine/entry1.c

That file, for instance, cannot decide whether it want to be columnar in layout, or not. Sometimes, commas have spaces following them, sometimes not, etc. etc. It makes for a jarring read.

On Wed, Aug 31, 2022 at 10:02 AM Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
[...]

FromRory Walsh
SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd] Question to devs about code formatting
I too struggling with reading some of her source, but it's mostly because I'm involved in other projects that use more modern formatting. I had once a script that would reformat the entire code base. But nowadays I'm just getting used to it. Such a script would be easy to reproduce.

On Wed 31 Aug 2022, 8:27 p.m. Aaron Krister Johnson, <akjmicro@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

My phone added some interesting mistakes there! 🤣

On Wed 31 Aug 2022, 11:11 p.m. Rory Walsh, <rorywalsh@ear.ie> wrote:
[...]

FromStephen Kyne
SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd] Question to devs about code formatting
Clang format can be used for this: https://clang.llvm.org/docs/ClangFormat.html. It can make merging branches a bit of a pain though. I use Prettier for typescript and something like that is nice to use that enforces a style across all dev's machines.

Stephen

[...]

The thing to do for branch merges is just make sure to do formatting separately in one go. Then everyone has to pull in those changes and continue to format per a unified style.

Ideally, if you're running a test-suite, you can do formatting as a plugin to your CI pipeline.

On Wed, Aug 31, 2022 at 3:40 PM Stephen Kyne <stevek@outlook.ie> wrote:
[...]

The merging aspect is an important consideration. I'd prefer if this is not made more complicated.

On 31 Aug 2022, at 23:40, Stephen Kyne <stevek@outlook.ie> wrote:

[...]

Are you worried about large diffs?

You can run a formatter on whatever files in the master branch AND the branch to be merged. Then, your diff is just code (mostly) pure code differences (as opposed to the formatting).