[Csnd] [OT] Cope's Ethics book

Date2022-08-25 12:41
Fromdlphillips@WOH.RR.COM
Subject[Csnd] [OT] Cope's Ethics book
Greetings !

Yes, I'm still here, and yes, I'm still into Csound, primarily via OpenMusic. Recently I've been reading some books on computer music, including Victor's excellent Spectral Music Design and the splendid Inside Computer Music (Clarke, Dufeu, Manning). But I'm writing to the list now to ask if anyone else has read David Cope's Ethics Of Computer-Assisted Music.

I think I can safely assume that many members of this group know about Cope's work with generative systems. He's definitely a Name in the field, and I've enjoyed some of his past works. His Ethics book is something else entirely. I'm not making much sense out of it, and I'm wondering whether anyone else cares to share an opinion and/or insights regarding it.

IMO it's a very weird tome, rather poorly edited, and I'm often left wondering if it wasn't machine-written, at least in part.

Best regards to all,

dp

Date2022-08-25 13:14
FromOeyvind Brandtsegg
SubjectRe: [Csnd] [OT] Cope's Ethics book
Hi Dave
Good that you are still here!
I have read several of his other books back then, but recall that I found them to be largely overlapping with each other. Now this one seems to be different, but I've only seen the online preview now so I should not judge, ...it might look a bit weird ;-)

all best
Øyvind

tor. 25. aug. 2022 kl. 13:41 skrev <dlphillips@woh.rr.com>:
[...]

SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd] [OT] Cope's Ethics book
Sounds ironic if it were machine written ;)

I should order it for the library.

On 25 Aug 2022, at 12:41, dlphillips@woh.rr.com wrote:

*Warning*

This email originated from outside of Maynooth University's Mail System. Do not reply, click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.

[...]

FromPartev Sarkissian <0000060b2ef1338e-dmarc-request@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE>
SubjectRe: [Csnd] [OT] Cope's Ethics book

Yes, Victor's book "Spectral Music Design is excellent.

Have Cope's 1981 ed (and later editions up to 6 or 7) of "New Directions In Music" which is enlightening.
Not familiar with "Ethics Of Computer-Assisted Music", though heard that some of his ideas on the subject
can be inconsistent, eccentric or disjunctive.

Ethics,... I guess asking where does the musician end and the machine begin is a question of ethics.
What gets credit and copyrights for a piece of music, the human or the machine the human wields?

Used to get into this debate with a violist uncle of mine, technology dehumanizing music. I made the
point that the only difference was his instrument was based on a 1200 year old design, mine was based
on a 1950's based technology design. That using anything that's not singing, whistling, howling, shouting
or knee slapping would be de-humanizing, using a strict sense and definition based on his criteria.

Cope's idea of ethics is a nice intellectual exercise, but it's moot,... in the end, music is music.

-PBS