[Csnd] Chromebooks, Csound for Android and Samples

Date2022-08-19 19:37
FromArthur Hunkins <000001e1d761dea2-dmarc-request@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE>
Subject[Csnd] Chromebooks, Csound for Android and Samples
Csound for Android runs fine on recent Chromebooks.

However I cannot locate the external storage public directory both to store samples and to write a .wav file. It is not /storage/emulated/0/Music as it is for smartphones. (Indeed there is no Music public directory.)

Does anyone know a proper read- and writable location? (FWIW, I'm not looking for Google Drive or other cloud storage, except as a possible last resort.) I've researched various permission issues, and tried approaches such as creating a Music  directory under My files - all to no avail.

TIA

SubjectRe: [Csnd] Chromebooks, Csound for Android and Samples
The app is supposed to print this out on startup in the MESSAGES pane, can you send me what it prints?

On Fri, Aug 19, 2022, 14:39 Arthur Hunkins <000001e1d761dea2-dmarc-request@listserv.heanet.ie> wrote:
Csound for Android runs fine on recent Chromebooks.

However I cannot locate the external storage public directory both to store samples and to write a .wav file. It is not /storage/emulated/0/Music as it is for smartphones. (Indeed there is no Music public directory.)

Does anyone know a proper read- and writable location? (FWIW, I'm not looking for Google Drive or other cloud storage, except as a possible last resort.) I've researched various permission issues, and tried approaches such as creating a Music  directory under My files - all to no avail.

TIA

FromArthur Hunkins <000001e1d761dea2-dmarc-request@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE>
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Chromebooks, Csound for Android and Samples
It prints out *exactly* what my smartphones print out.

Nothing more, nothing less.

On Fri, Aug 19, 2022 at 2:52 PM Michael Gogins <michael.gogins@gmail.com> wrote:
The app is supposed to print this out on startup in the MESSAGES pane, can you send me what it prints?

On Fri, Aug 19, 2022, 14:39 Arthur Hunkins <000001e1d761dea2-dmarc-request@listserv.heanet.ie> wrote:
Csound for Android runs fine on recent Chromebooks.

However I cannot locate the external storage public directory both to store samples and to write a .wav file. It is not /storage/emulated/0/Music as it is for smartphones. (Indeed there is no Music public directory.)

Does anyone know a proper read- and writable location? (FWIW, I'm not looking for Google Drive or other cloud storage, except as a possible last resort.) I've researched various permission issues, and tried approaches such as creating a Music  directory under My files - all to no avail.

TIA

From"Brian R."
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Chromebooks, Csound for Android and Samples
The Downloads directory may work

On Fri, Aug 19, 2022, 11:39 AM Arthur Hunkins <000001e1d761dea2-dmarc-request@listserv.heanet.ie> wrote:
Csound for Android runs fine on recent Chromebooks.

However I cannot locate the external storage public directory both to store samples and to write a .wav file. It is not /storage/emulated/0/Music as it is for smartphones. (Indeed there is no Music public directory.)

Does anyone know a proper read- and writable location? (FWIW, I'm not looking for Google Drive or other cloud storage, except as a possible last resort.) I've researched various permission issues, and tried approaches such as creating a Music  directory under My files - all to no avail.

TIA

FromArthur Hunkins <000001e1d761dea2-dmarc-request@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE>
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Chromebooks, Csound for Android and Samples
I tried the Downloads directory and can't manage to make it work.

Perhaps the correct setting of the path, or the permissions are an issue as well?

On Fri, Aug 19, 2022 at 5:55 PM Brian R. <brianwredfern@gmail.com> wrote:
The Downloads directory may work

On Fri, Aug 19, 2022, 11:39 AM Arthur Hunkins <000001e1d761dea2-dmarc-request@listserv.heanet.ie> wrote:
Csound for Android runs fine on recent Chromebooks.

However I cannot locate the external storage public directory both to store samples and to write a .wav file. It is not /storage/emulated/0/Music as it is for smartphones. (Indeed there is no Music public directory.)

Does anyone know a proper read- and writable location? (FWIW, I'm not looking for Google Drive or other cloud storage, except as a possible last resort.) I've researched various permission issues, and tried approaches such as creating a Music  directory under My files - all to no avail.

TIA

SubjectRe: [Csnd] Chromebooks, Csound for Android and Samples
The permissions can be an issue. Check that in your Apps settings.

On Fri, Aug 19, 2022, 20:12 Arthur Hunkins <000001e1d761dea2-dmarc-request@listserv.heanet.ie> wrote:
[...]

Yeah I just tested and I am also getting permissions issues although I
can run command line csound as a linux app without issues except for
audio latency and no midi.

On Fri, Aug 19, 2022 at 5:29 PM Michael Gogins  wrote:

> The permissions can be an issue. Check that in your Apps settings.
>
> On Fri, Aug 19, 2022, 20:12 Arthur Hunkins <000001e1d761dea2-dmarc-request@listserv.heanet.ie> wrote:
>>
>> I tried the Downloads directory and can't manage to make it work.
>>
>> Perhaps the correct setting of the path, or the permissions are an issue as well?
>>
>> Art Hunkins
>> http://www.arthunkins.com
>>

>> On Fri, Aug 19, 2022 at 5:55 PM Brian R.  wrote:
>>>
>>> The Downloads directory may work

FromArthur Hunkins <000001e1d761dea2-dmarc-request@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE>
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Chromebooks, Csound for Android and Samples
At an impasse, I hereby issue THE CHROMEBOOK CHALLENGE - for any Csounder who owns a half-way recent Chromebook:

Download and install Csound for Android from play.google.com.
Copy the code below, grab a copy of fox.wav from any Csound distro, and by whatever means (I use a thumb drive) deposit the two files in the Downloads folder of your Chromebook. See if you can get the code to run. If you can, you win - and will solve the two problems I'm currently experiencing (i.e., first locating the sample, then writing an output .wav file).

As  written, everything runs fine on a relatively recent smartphone with Csound for Android. It doesn't run on a Chromebook. The challenge is to change the two filepaths (they should be the same) to where Csound can both read and write.

FYI: I've tried Downloads, no path (this worked with older Androids), a self-created Music folder (under My files), and the subfolder Music under Play files. I've also given Csound all the permissions possibly relevant as well as allowing all available Storage options on my Device. (I believe these were already on by default.)

The prize: much gratitude and possibly that of brother/sister Csounders. Chromebooks are quite a viable option for Csound work.

Thanks so much.

The Csound file:

<CsoundSynthesizer>
<CsOptions>
-odac
</CsOptions>
<CsInstruments>

instr 1
a1 diskin "/storage/emulated/0/Music/fox.wav"
     fout "/storage/emulated/0/Music/output.wav", 4, a1
     out a1
endin

</CsInstruments>
<CsScore>
i1 0 3
</CsScore>
</CsoundSynthesizer>

On Fri, Aug 19, 2022 at 5:55 PM Brian R. <brianwredfern@gmail.com> wrote:
The Downloads directory may work

On Fri, Aug 19, 2022, 11:39 AM Arthur Hunkins <000001e1d761dea2-dmarc-request@listserv.heanet.ie> wrote:
Csound for Android runs fine on recent Chromebooks.

However I cannot locate the external storage public directory both to store samples and to write a .wav file. It is not /storage/emulated/0/Music as it is for smartphones. (Indeed there is no Music public directory.)

Does anyone know a proper read- and writable location? (FWIW, I'm not looking for Google Drive or other cloud storage, except as a possible last resort.) I've researched various permission issues, and tried approaches such as creating a Music  directory under My files - all to no avail.

TIA

SubjectRe: [Csnd] Chromebooks, Csound for Android and Samples
I'm sorry but I don't have a Chromebook. However I suspect that the Android filesystem used by the Csound app is different from the Chromebook's filesystem, is mounted somewhere, and has its own permissions. This issue from last year reflects similar problems:
https://support.google.com/chromebook/thread/115280259?hl=en

Perhaps this will help:

On Sat, Aug 20, 2022 at 4:53 PM Arthur Hunkins <000001e1d761dea2-dmarc-request@listserv.heanet.ie> wrote:
[...]

I could see if I can hack around the source and find a solution since I have a recent chromebook

On Sat, Aug 20, 2022, 2:07 PM Michael Gogins <michael.gogins@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Please do! (You could win a valuable prize.)

On Sat, Aug 20, 2022 at 5:43 PM Brian R. <brianwredfern@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Also going to look into audio device selection which is fine on my phone but wonky on chrome.