[Csnd] What's the difference...

Date2022-06-20 01:10
FromMike McGonagle
Subject[Csnd] What's the difference...
I been learning about using name channels to pass data around, and it seems there are overlapping opcodes that appear to perform the same function.

Along with the opcode 'chn_x', you access them with 'chnget/set'. But there also seems to be 'in/outvalue'. So I am curious what is the difference between these sets of opcodes?

FromTarmo Johannes
SubjectRe: [Csnd] What's the difference...
Hi!

From the user point of view, not much, but internally -  in/outvalue uses a callback function that the programmer has to define to process the data (in case Csound API is used inside some other program) , by chnget/chnset the work happens inside the Csound main structure. Chnget/set is more efficient and I personally always use that option. I am not sure, if in/outvalue would work from command line Csound, actually.

As much I understand...

tarmo

Kontakt Mike McGonagle (<mjmogo@gmail.com>) kirjutas kuupäeval E, 20. juuni 2022 kell 03:10:
I been learning about using name channels to pass data around, and it seems there are overlapping opcodes that appear to perform the same function.

Along with the opcode 'chn_x', you access them with 'chnget/set'. But there also seems to be 'in/outvalue'. So I am curious what is the difference between these sets of opcodes?

FromPartev Sarkissian <0000060b2ef1338e-dmarc-request@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE>
SubjectRe: [Csnd] What's the difference...

Manual has it as the chn_x declares a name software bus, while
chnget reads data from that bus. So it looks like one sets it up, and
the other does the deed.

-PBS