Csound Csound-dev Csound-tekno Search About

[Csnd] Language question/idea : Forward #1607 should init be able to copy i-arrays to k-arrays?

Date2022-05-17 16:42
FromJohann Philippe <000002c2c0737523-dmarc-request@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE>
Subject[Csnd] Language question/idea : Forward #1607 should init be able to copy i-arrays to k-arrays?
Trying to continue this discussion, which apparently happened in the wrong place :

Thank you Victor for writing, but your remark didn't really answer our question. Perheaps it was not clear enough in our first message.

It could be rephrased like this : "Is there a direct way to init a k-rate array with values of an i-rate array (initialization only) ? And if no, wouldn't 'init' keyword be a good candidate for such a task ?"

Because of course, if I write :
iArr fillarray 1, 2, 3, 4
kArr[] = iArr

The content of iArr will be copied in kArr at k-rate, because, as you wrote, it is a k-rate expression.
And "fillarray" (you mentionned in your previous answer) cannot be used to copy an array. So this solution is not relevant.

I know init is used to initialize an array with a scalar argument (size). But couldn't the compiler do the job to just know if the argument is scalar or array, and then initialize with size (if scalar), or initialize and copy at initialization only (if array argument) ?

Let's take a simple example : 

opocode chord_manipulation, k[], i[]k
    iArr[] , ktrig xin

// Here I want to copy the array at initialization only, because I need to manipulate it at k-rate (I don't want the copy to happen every k-pass).
   // So the only solution I found, was this :
    isize lenarray iArr
    kArr init isize
    icnt init 0
    while icnt < isize do
        kArr[icnt] init iArr[icnt]
        icnt += 1
    od

// Where the language design would intuitively lead me to write :
    kArr[] init iArr // which won't build, but could be great

if(ktrig == 1) then
    // Do some chord reversal here
    endif
    xout kArr
endop

instr 1
    iChord1[] fillarray 50, 53, 55, 57
    kReversed[] = chord_manipulation(iChord1, metro:k(1) )
endin

Finally, maybe there already is a simpler/smarter solution, which I don't know.

Regards

Johann Philippe

Date2022-05-17 20:18
FromEduardo Moguillansky
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Language question/idea : Forward #1607 should init be able to copy i-arrays to k-arrays?
if timeinstk() == 1 then
  kArr = iArr
endif
On 17.05.22 17:42, Johann Philippe wrote:
Trying to continue this discussion, which apparently happened in the wrong place :

Thank you Victor for writing, but your remark didn't really answer our question. Perheaps it was not clear enough in our first message.

It could be rephrased like this : "Is there a direct way to init a k-rate array with values of an i-rate array (initialization only) ? And if no, wouldn't 'init' keyword be a good candidate for such a task ?"

kArr[] = iArr

The content of iArr will be copied in kArr at k-rate, because, as you wrote, it is a k-rate expression.
And "fillarray" (you mentionned in your previous answer) cannot be used to copy an array. So this solution is not relevant.

I know init is used to initialize an array with a scalar argument (size). But couldn't the compiler do the job to just know if the argument is scalar or array, and then initialize with size (if scalar), or initialize and copy at initialization only (if array argument) ?

iArr[] , ktrig xin

// Here I want to copy the array at initialization only, because I need to manipulate it at k-rate (I don't want the copy to happen every k-pass).
    isize lenarray iArr
    kArr init isize
    icnt init 0
    while icnt < isize do
        icnt += 1
    od

if(ktrig == 1) then
    endif
    xout kArr
endop

instr 1
endin

Regards

Johann Philippe

Csound mailing list Csound@listserv.heanet.ie https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND Send bugs reports to https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

Date2022-05-17 21:09
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Language question/idea : Forward #1607 should init be able to copy i-arrays to k-arrays?

Thank you Eduardo. It works, but is not i-rate. 

Le mardi 17 mai 2022, 20:18:40 UTC+1, Eduardo Moguillansky <eduardo.moguillansky@gmail.com> a écrit :

if timeinstk() == 1 then
  kArr = iArr
endif
On 17.05.22 17:42, Johann Philippe wrote:

kArr[] = iArr

iArr[] , ktrig xin

isize lenarray iArr
    kArr init isize
    icnt init 0
    while icnt < isize do
        icnt += 1
    od

if(ktrig == 1) then
    endif
    xout kArr
endop

instr 1
endin

Regards

Johann Philippe

Csound mailing list Csound@listserv.heanet.ie https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND Send bugs reports to https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

Date2022-05-18 08:41
FromVictor Lazzarini
SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd] Language question/idea : Forward #1607 should init be able to copy i-arrays to k-arrays?
At the moment, the only way I can think is

kArr[] fillaray iArr[0], iArr[1], ...

but it would be easy to make an overload of fillarray that takes an i-time array. I'm not completely sure of the use case, but that's off topic.

On 17 May 2022, at 16:42, Johann Philippe <000002c2c0737523-dmarc-request@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE> wrote:

*Warning*

This email originated from outside of Maynooth University's Mail System. Do not reply, click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.

kArr[] = iArr

iArr[] , ktrig xin

isize lenarray iArr
    kArr init isize
    icnt init 0
    while icnt < isize do
        icnt += 1
    od

if(ktrig == 1) then
    endif
    xout kArr
endop

instr 1
endin

Regards

Johann Philippe

Date2022-05-18 10:32
SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd] Language question/idea : Forward #1607 should init be able to copy i-arrays to k-arrays?
An overload of fillarray would make sense to me.
Le mercredi 18 mai 2022, 09:42:01 UTC+2, Victor Lazzarini <victor.lazzarini@mu.ie> a écrit :

but it would be easy to make an overload of fillarray that takes an i-time array. I'm not completely sure of the use case, but that's off topic.

On 17 May 2022, at 16:42, Johann Philippe <000002c2c0737523-dmarc-request@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE> wrote:

Warning

This email originated from outside of Maynooth University's Mail System. Do not reply, click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.

kArr[] = iArr

iArr[] , ktrig xin

isize lenarray iArr
    kArr init isize
    icnt init 0
    while icnt < isize do
        icnt += 1
    od

if(ktrig == 1) then
    endif
    xout kArr
endop

instr 1
endin

Regards

Johann Philippe

Date2022-05-19 09:02
FromVictor Lazzarini
I was looking at the code and you can indeed do

iArr fillarray 1,2,3
kArr[] = iArr

so we don't need the overloaded fillarray. This assignment will work both at init and perf time. 

On 18 May 2022, at 10:32, Johann Philippe <000002c2c0737523-dmarc-request@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE> wrote:

Le mercredi 18 mai 2022, 09:42:01 UTC+2, Victor Lazzarini <victor.lazzarini@mu.ie> a écrit :

Warning

kArr[] = iArr

iArr[] , ktrig xin

isize lenarray iArr
    kArr init isize
    icnt init 0
    while icnt < isize do
        icnt += 1
    od

if(ktrig == 1) then
    endif
    xout kArr
endop

instr 1
endin

Regards

Johann Philippe

Date2022-05-19 09:10
kArr[] = iArr

I tried this, and iArr was copied in kArr at k-rate too, so it was impossible for me to do what I need (later manipulations on kArr) since kArr is returning to its original state at each k-pass. What I need is something that only copies at i-rate. Maybe I'm missing something ?

Le jeudi 19 mai 2022, 09:02:26 UTC+1, Victor Lazzarini <victor.lazzarini@mu.ie> a écrit :

iArr fillarray 1,2,3
kArr[] = iArr

so we don't need the overloaded fillarray. This assignment will work both at init and perf time. 

On 18 May 2022, at 10:32, Johann Philippe <000002c2c0737523-dmarc-request@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE> wrote:

Warning

kArr[] = iArr

iArr[] , ktrig xin

isize lenarray iArr
    kArr init isize
    icnt init 0
    while icnt < isize do
        icnt += 1
    od

if(ktrig == 1) then
    endif
    xout kArr
endop

instr 1
endin

Regards

Johann Philippe

Date2022-05-19 09:46
FromVictor Lazzarini
I see. I have added the overload to git develop (csound 7).

On 19 May 2022, at 09:10, Johann Philippe <000002c2c0737523-dmarc-request@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE> wrote:

kArr[] = iArr

I tried this, and iArr was copied in kArr at k-rate too, so it was impossible for me to do what I need (later manipulations on kArr) since kArr is returning to its original state at each k-pass. What I need is something that only copies at i-rate. Maybe I'm missing something ?

Le jeudi 19 mai 2022, 09:02:26 UTC+1, Victor Lazzarini <victor.lazzarini@mu.ie> a écrit :

iArr fillarray 1,2,3
kArr[] = iArr

Warning

kArr[] = iArr

iArr[] , ktrig xin

isize lenarray iArr
    kArr init isize
    icnt init 0
    while icnt < isize do
        icnt += 1
    od

if(ktrig == 1) then
    endif
    xout kArr
endop

instr 1
endin

Regards

Johann Philippe

Date2022-05-19 10:00
Thank you !

Le jeudi 19 mai 2022, 09:46:34 UTC+1, Victor Lazzarini <victor.lazzarini@mu.ie> a écrit :

I see. I have added the overload to git develop (csound 7).

On 19 May 2022, at 09:10, Johann Philippe <000002c2c0737523-dmarc-request@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE> wrote:

kArr[] = iArr

iArr fillarray 1,2,3
kArr[] = iArr

Warning

kArr[] = iArr

iArr[] , ktrig xin

isize lenarray iArr
    kArr init isize
    icnt init 0
    while icnt < isize do
        icnt += 1
    od

if(ktrig == 1) then
    endif
    xout kArr
endop

instr 1
endin

Regards

Johann Philippe