Re: [Csnd] Questions about Jack

Date2022-02-04 14:05
Fromtjingboem
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Questions about Jack
Hi Jan Jacob,
do you have Cadence installed?
I'm running Linux Mint and Manjaro, and the first thing i run is Cadence; it is there where i activate Jack2

FromRory Walsh
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Questions about Jack
Me too. Cadence is the first tool I install on any new Linux machine.

On Fri, 4 Feb 2022 at 14:05, tjingboem <magknevel@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Jan Jacob,
do you have Cadence installed?
I'm running Linux Mint and Manjaro, and the first thing i run is Cadence; it is there where i activate Jack2

FromTarmo Johannes
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Questions about Jack
Hi, Jan,

Can it be that the reason of your problems is that Csound is built without jack support? I guess you built recently Csound yourself and if jack was not installed yet then jack support was not enabled. Can you check if libjack.so is in the plugins folder? Or can you rund some csd with
csound -odac -+rtaudio=jack  file.csd
Can you try to install jack development packages (libjackd-dev or something similar, not sure how it is on your system), run cmake again in Csound source directory and check the messages if jack support got enabled. Then build Csound again and for any case do
$sudo ldconfig
to get all the new shared libraries known to the system.

Otherwise it is very strange that CsoundQt does not offer jack as an audio module.

Another thing to know -  usually on Linux systems the default audio system nowadays is pulseaudio. Pulse cannot run in parallel with jack (well, there is a bridge that actually allows to run pulseaudio through jack). So, when you start jack and then run CsoundQt or some other program that plays through pulseaudio (and that is the case by Csound wiht its default portaudio module), pulse just waits until it gets access to sound card that is blocked by jack at that moment.

I always use jack for audio work and I love it, never had any problems when you get to know it. I use qjackctl  as the front end (just used to it) but cadence is very handy tool, too.

Best greetings,
tarmo

Kontakt Rory Walsh (<rorywalsh@ear.ie>) kirjutas kuupäeval R, 4. veebruar 2022 kell 16:19:
Me too. Cadence is the first tool I install on any new Linux machine.

On Fri, 4 Feb 2022 at 14:05, tjingboem <magknevel@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Jan Jacob,
do you have Cadence installed?
I'm running Linux Mint and Manjaro, and the first thing i run is Cadence; it is there where i activate Jack2

FromMatt Berlin
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Questions about Jack
Jack & pulseaudio-module-jack is my preferred stack,

- Matt

On Fri, Feb 4, 2022 at 10:36 AM Tarmo Johannes <trmjhnns@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

FromPete Goodeve
Subject[Csnd] Cadence -- was Re: [Csnd] Questions about Jack
AttachmentsNone

Date2022-02-05 11:15
FromJan Jacob Hofmann
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Questions about Jack
Dear Tarmo;

I guess we are getting closer to the solution: libjack.so is in fact
missing in my plugins-folder. I will recompile everything (Csound and
CsoundQt)  today and then get back to the list for a report.

Thanks to all of you,

Jan Jacob

sound      |      movement       |       object      |      space
sonic architecture     |      site: http://www.sonicarchitecture.de
spatial electronic composition    |    higher order ambisonic music

Am 04.02.22 um 16:35 schrieb Tarmo Johannes:
> Hi, Jan,
>
> Can it be that the reason of your problems is that Csound is built
> without jack support? I guess you built recently Csound yourself and
> if jack was not installed yet then jack support was not enabled. Can
> you check if libjack.so is in the plugins folder? Or can you rund some
> csd with
> csound -odac -+rtaudio=jack  file.csd
> Can you try to install jack development packages (libjackd-dev or
> something similar, not sure how it is on your system), run cmake again
> in Csound source directory and check the messages if jack support got
> enabled. Then build Csound again and for any case do
> $sudo ldconfig
> to get all the new shared libraries known to the system.
>
> Otherwise it is very strange that CsoundQt does not offer jack as an
> audio module.
>
> Another thing to know -  usually on Linux systems the default audio
> system nowadays is pulseaudio. Pulse cannot run in parallel with jack
> (well, there is a bridge that actually allows to run pulseaudio
> through jack). So, when you start jack and then run CsoundQt or some
> other program that plays through pulseaudio (and that is the case by
> Csound wiht its default portaudio module), pulse just waits until it
> gets access to sound card that is blocked by jack at that moment.
>
> I always use jack for audio work and I love it, never had any problems
> when you get to know it. I use qjackctl  as the front end (just used
> to it) but cadence is very handy tool, too.
>
> Best greetings,
> tarmo

SubjectRe: [Csnd] Questions about Jack
yes this must be the reason.  but no need to recompile csoundqt; only
csound.

On 05/02/2022 12:15, Jan Jacob Hofmann wrote:
> Dear Tarmo;
>
> I guess we are getting closer to the solution: libjack.so is in fact
> missing in my plugins-folder. I will recompile everything (Csound and
> CsoundQt)  today and then get back to the list for a report.
>
> Thanks to all of you,
>
> Jan Jacob
>

> sound      |      movement       |       object      |      space
> sonic architecture     |      site: http://www.sonicarchitecture.de
> spatial electronic composition    |    higher order ambisonic music
>
> Am 04.02.22 um 16:35 schrieb Tarmo Johannes:
>> Hi, Jan,
>>
>> Can it be that the reason of your problems is that Csound is built
>> without jack support? I guess you built recently Csound yourself and
>> if jack was not installed yet then jack support was not enabled. Can
>> you check if libjack.so is in the plugins folder? Or can you rund some
>> csd with
>> csound -odac -+rtaudio=jack  file.csd
>> Can you try to install jack development packages (libjackd-dev or
>> something similar, not sure how it is on your system), run cmake again
>> in Csound source directory and check the messages if jack support got
>> enabled. Then build Csound again and for any case do
>> $sudo ldconfig
>> to get all the new shared libraries known to the system.
>>
>> Otherwise it is very strange that CsoundQt does not offer jack as an
>> audio module.
>>
>> Another thing to know -  usually on Linux systems the default audio
>> system nowadays is pulseaudio. Pulse cannot run in parallel with jack
>> (well, there is a bridge that actually allows to run pulseaudio
>> through jack). So, when you start jack and then run CsoundQt or some
>> other program that plays through pulseaudio (and that is the case by
>> Csound wiht its default portaudio module), pulse just waits until it
>> gets access to sound card that is blocked by jack at that moment.
>>
>> I always use jack for audio work and I love it, never had any problems
>> when you get to know it. I use qjackctl  as the front end (just used
>> to it) but cadence is very handy tool, too.
>>
>> Best greetings,
>> tarmo

>         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

FromJan Jacob Hofmann
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Questions about Jack
Dear Joachim,

I guess I will have to recompile CsoundQt sooner or later anyway as I am
trying to have the latest version of it for a while but I get always
seven error messages when I simply try to pull and build the latest
version from git.

They are like this:
/home/janjacobhofmann/CsoundQt/src/documentpage.cpp:114: Error:
'std::chrono' has not been declared
   114 |     auto t0 = std::chrono::high_resolution_clock::now();
       |                    ^~~~~~

so, maybe it's time for a fresh clone anyway. Not to get jack running,
but to be able to build the latest version....and maybe the errors while
building CsoundQt do vanish with a fresh clone...

Cheers,

Am 05.02.22 um 12:20 schrieb joachim heintz:
> yes this must be the reason.  but no need to recompile csoundqt; only
> csound.
>

> On 05/02/2022 12:15, Jan Jacob Hofmann wrote:
>> Dear Tarmo;
>>
>> I guess we are getting closer to the solution: libjack.so is in fact
>> missing in my plugins-folder. I will recompile everything (Csound and
>> CsoundQt)  today and then get back to the list for a report.
>>
>> Thanks to all of you,
>>
>> Jan Jacob
>>

>> sound      |      movement       |       object      | space
>> sonic architecture     |      site: http://www.sonicarchitecture.de
>> spatial electronic composition    |    higher order ambisonic music
>>
>> Am 04.02.22 um 16:35 schrieb Tarmo Johannes:
>>> Hi, Jan,
>>>
>>> Can it be that the reason of your problems is that Csound is built
>>> without jack support? I guess you built recently Csound yourself and
>>> if jack was not installed yet then jack support was not enabled. Can
>>> you check if libjack.so is in the plugins folder? Or can you rund
>>> some csd with
>>> csound -odac -+rtaudio=jack  file.csd
>>> Can you try to install jack development packages (libjackd-dev or
>>> something similar, not sure how it is on your system), run cmake
>>> again in Csound source directory and check the messages if jack
>>> support got enabled. Then build Csound again and for any case do
>>> $sudo ldconfig
>>> to get all the new shared libraries known to the system.
>>>
>>> Otherwise it is very strange that CsoundQt does not offer jack as an
>>> audio module.
>>>
>>> Another thing to know -  usually on Linux systems the default audio
>>> system nowadays is pulseaudio. Pulse cannot run in parallel with
>>> jack (well, there is a bridge that actually allows to run pulseaudio
>>> through jack). So, when you start jack and then run CsoundQt or some
>>> other program that plays through pulseaudio (and that is the case by
>>> Csound wiht its default portaudio module), pulse just waits until it
>>> gets access to sound card that is blocked by jack at that moment.
>>>
>>> I always use jack for audio work and I love it, never had any
>>> problems when you get to know it. I use qjackctl  as the front end
>>> (just used to it) but cadence is very handy tool, too.
>>>
>>> Best greetings,
>>> tarmo
>>
>> Csound mailing list
>> Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>> Send bugs reports to
>>         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

>        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

FromRory Walsh
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Cadence -- was Re: [Csnd] Questions about Jack

On Sat, 5 Feb 2022 at 07:43, Pete Goodeve <pete.goodeve@computer.org> wrote:
On Fri, Feb 04, 2022 at 03:05:11PM +0100, tjingboem wrote:
> Hi Jan Jacob,
> do you have Cadence installed?
> I'm running Linux Mint and Manjaro, and the first thing i run is Cadence;
> it is there where i activate Jack2

Sorry for my ignorance(:-/) but I don't know Cadence, and I'm having
trouble locating/identifying it.  An aptitude search doesn't show anything
and I'm not sure how to narrow down the mass of hits I get on Google
if I search on the term!  Can you give me a pointer?

        -- Pete --

FromJan Jacob Hofmann
Subject[Csnd] Csound compilation on Ubuntu - some help needed...
Hello again :-)

I tried a complete rebuild of Csound, but it gives me an error at 86% of
compiling after having entered the command:

janjacobhofmann@janjacobhofmann-ThinkPad-T430:~/csound/cs6make$ make -j6

This is what I had done before:
- I removed the existing folders "csound" and "cs6make".

Then I followed the exactly steps from here:
https://github.com/csound/csound/blob/develop/BUILD.md#debian

And his is the message I got at the end:

[ 86%] Linking CXX shared library libcsound64.so
[ 86%] Built target csound64
make: *** [Makefile:163: all] Error 2
janjacobhofmann@janjacobhofmann-ThinkPad-T430:~/csound/cs6make$

The processing of the make -j6 command stopped here.

Maybe someone can give me a hint what to do? I am on Ubuntu 20.04.3

Cheers,

Jan Jacob

sound      |      movement       |       object      |      space
sonic architecture     |      site: http://www.sonicarchitecture.de
spatial electronic composition    |    higher order ambisonic music

SubjectRe: [Csnd] Csound compilation on Ubuntu - some help needed...
can you run make again, but without -j6, to see whether you get more
output about what the error is?

if this does not say more, run make -d.

On 05/02/2022 17:05, Jan Jacob Hofmann wrote:
> Hello again :-)
>
> I tried a complete rebuild of Csound, but it gives me an error at 86% of
> compiling after having entered the command:
>
> janjacobhofmann@janjacobhofmann-ThinkPad-T430:~/csound/cs6make$ make -j6
>
> This is what I had done before:
> - I removed the existing folders "csound" and "cs6make".
>

> Then I followed the exactly steps from here:
> https://github.com/csound/csound/blob/develop/BUILD.md#debian
>
> And his is the message I got at the end:
>
> [ 86%] Linking CXX shared library libcsound64.so
> [ 86%] Built target csound64
> make: *** [Makefile:163: all] Error 2
> janjacobhofmann@janjacobhofmann-ThinkPad-T430:~/csound/cs6make$
>
> The processing of the make -j6 command stopped here.
>
> Maybe someone can give me a hint what to do? I am on Ubuntu 20.04.3
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jan Jacob
>

> sound      |      movement       |       object      |      space
> sonic architecture     |      site: http://www.sonicarchitecture.de
> spatial electronic composition    |    higher order ambisonic music

>         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd] Csound compilation on Ubuntu - some help needed...
run it without -j 6 so we can see where it stopped

> [...]
>
> *Warning*
>
> This email originated from outside of Maynooth University's Mail System. Do not reply, click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.
>
> Hello again :-)
>
> I tried a complete rebuild of Csound, but it gives me an error at 86% of
> compiling after having entered the command:
>
> janjacobhofmann@janjacobhofmann-ThinkPad-T430:~/csound/cs6make$ make -j6
>
> This is what I had done before:
> - I removed the existing folders "csound" and "cs6make".
>

> Then I followed the exactly steps from here:
> https://eur02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fcsound%2Fcsound%2Fblob%2Fdevelop%2FBUILD.md%23debian&data=04%7C01%7CVictor.Lazzarini%40mu.ie%7Ccf450c8212b8428000e008d9e8c16a5e%7C1454f5ccbb354685bbd98621fd8055c9%7C0%7C0%7C637796740266333484%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000&sdata=QkbOzogc9ynBN3hEInXCZgnmj9%2B1d5GaZ0VlT%2FMDBnA%3D&reserved=0
>
> And his is the message I got at the end:
>
> [ 86%] Linking CXX shared library libcsound64.so
> [ 86%] Built target csound64
> make: *** [Makefile:163: all] Error 2
> janjacobhofmann@janjacobhofmann-ThinkPad-T430:~/csound/cs6make$
>
> The processing of the make -j6 command stopped here.
>
> Maybe someone can give me a hint what to do? I am on Ubuntu 20.04.3
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jan Jacob
>

> sound      |      movement       |       object      |      space
> sonic architecture     |      site: https://eur02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sonicarchitecture.de%2F&data=04%7C01%7CVictor.Lazzarini%40mu.ie%7Ccf450c8212b8428000e008d9e8c16a5e%7C1454f5ccbb354685bbd98621fd8055c9%7C0%7C0%7C637796740266333484%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000&sdata=2YcKx2ImZ5bVmQnO0fz4ivqRuqIaqsqBiAotqRJC5ls%3D&reserved=0
> spatial electronic composition    |    higher order ambisonic music

> https://eur02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Flistserv.heanet.ie%2Fcgi-bin%2Fwa%3FA0%3DCSOUND&data=04%7C01%7CVictor.Lazzarini%40mu.ie%7Ccf450c8212b8428000e008d9e8c16a5e%7C1454f5ccbb354685bbd98621fd8055c9%7C0%7C0%7C637796740266333484%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000&sdata=y7s22P7wcjF%2BVzkyk01yYYlpthPYh3blElM2jaOPgO8%3D&reserved=0
> Send bugs reports to
>       https://eur02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fcsound%2Fcsound%2Fissues&data=04%7C01%7CVictor.Lazzarini%40mu.ie%7Ccf450c8212b8428000e008d9e8c16a5e%7C1454f5ccbb354685bbd98621fd8055c9%7C0%7C0%7C637796740266333484%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000&sdata=4ZKq%2FiBEd0L95JJaKh97BFa%2F6iFSSe3MKexjeIkHFHI%3D&reserved=0

FromJan Jacob Hofmann
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Csound compilation on Ubuntu - some help needed...
Hello Joachim,

thanks! running make reported the following after some processing:

make[2]: *** Keine Regel vorhanden, um das Ziel
„/home/janjacobhofmann/csound/csound/po/spanish.po“,
   benötigt von „po/es.mo“, zu erstellen.  Schluss.
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:2407:
po/CMakeFiles/pofile_es.dir/all] Fehler 2
make: *** [Makefile:163: all] Fehler 2

To me it looks like something is missing...but I do not know what to do...

Am 05.02.22 um 17:18 schrieb joachim heintz:
> can you run make again, but without -j6, to see whether you get more
> output about what the error is?
>
> if this does not say more, run make -d.
>

> On 05/02/2022 17:05, Jan Jacob Hofmann wrote:
>> Hello again :-)
>>
>> I tried a complete rebuild of Csound, but it gives me an error at 86%
>> of compiling after having entered the command:
>>
>> janjacobhofmann@janjacobhofmann-ThinkPad-T430:~/csound/cs6make$ make -j6
>>
>> This is what I had done before:
>> - I removed the existing folders "csound" and "cs6make".
>>

>> Then I followed the exactly steps from here:
>> https://github.com/csound/csound/blob/develop/BUILD.md#debian
>>
>> And his is the message I got at the end:
>>
>> [ 86%] Linking CXX shared library libcsound64.so
>> [ 86%] Built target csound64
>> make: *** [Makefile:163: all] Error 2
>> janjacobhofmann@janjacobhofmann-ThinkPad-T430:~/csound/cs6make$
>>
>> The processing of the make -j6 command stopped here.
>>
>> Maybe someone can give me a hint what to do? I am on Ubuntu 20.04.3
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Jan Jacob
>>

>> sound      |      movement       |       object      | space
>> sonic architecture     |      site: http://www.sonicarchitecture.de
>> spatial electronic composition    |    higher order ambisonic music
>>
>> Csound mailing list
>> Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>> Send bugs reports to
>>         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

>        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

SubjectRe: [Csnd] Csound compilation on Ubuntu - some help needed...
hi ---

in your cs6make folder should be a file called CMakeCache.txt.  around
line 700 you probably find this:

//Use the Gettext internationalization library
USE_GETTEXT:BOOL=ON

can you try to set OFF instead of ON?  then save and run cmake again.

best -

On 05/02/2022 17:42, Jan Jacob Hofmann wrote:
> Hello Joachim,
>
> thanks! running make reported the following after some processing:
>

> make[2]: *** Keine Regel vorhanden, um das Ziel
> „/home/janjacobhofmann/csound/csound/po/spanish.po“,
>    benötigt von „po/es.mo“, zu erstellen.  Schluss.
> make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:2407:
> po/CMakeFiles/pofile_es.dir/all] Fehler 2
> make: *** [Makefile:163: all] Fehler 2
>
> To me it looks like something is missing...but I do not know what to do...
> Cheers,
>
> Jan Jacob
>

> sound      |      movement       |       object      |      space
> sonic architecture     |      site: http://www.sonicarchitecture.de
> spatial electronic composition    |    higher order ambisonic music
>
> Am 05.02.22 um 17:18 schrieb joachim heintz:
>> can you run make again, but without -j6, to see whether you get more
>> output about what the error is?
>>
>> if this does not say more, run make -d.
>>

>> On 05/02/2022 17:05, Jan Jacob Hofmann wrote:
>>> Hello again :-)
>>>
>>> I tried a complete rebuild of Csound, but it gives me an error at 86%
>>> of compiling after having entered the command:
>>>
>>> janjacobhofmann@janjacobhofmann-ThinkPad-T430:~/csound/cs6make$ make -j6
>>>
>>> This is what I had done before:
>>> - I removed the existing folders "csound" and "cs6make".
>>>

>>> Then I followed the exactly steps from here:
>>> https://github.com/csound/csound/blob/develop/BUILD.md#debian
>>>
>>> And his is the message I got at the end:
>>>
>>> [ 86%] Linking CXX shared library libcsound64.so
>>> [ 86%] Built target csound64
>>> make: *** [Makefile:163: all] Error 2
>>> janjacobhofmann@janjacobhofmann-ThinkPad-T430:~/csound/cs6make$
>>>
>>> The processing of the make -j6 command stopped here.
>>>
>>> Maybe someone can give me a hint what to do? I am on Ubuntu 20.04.3
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Jan Jacob
>>>

>>> sound      |      movement       |       object      | space
>>> sonic architecture     |      site: http://www.sonicarchitecture.de
>>> spatial electronic composition    |    higher order ambisonic music
>>>
>>> Csound mailing list
>>> Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>>> Send bugs reports to
>>>         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>>
>> Csound mailing list
>> Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>> Send bugs reports to
>>        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

>         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

Fromjohn
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Csound compilation on Ubuntu - some help needed...
Attachmentsspanish.po
Or install spo/spanish.po

FromJan Jacob Hofmann
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Csound compilation on Ubuntu - some help needed...
Dear Joachim, dear Victor,

after setting it to OFF cmake -j6 performs until the end. I got 1
warning at the end:

Building JAVA package csnd6.jar
warning: [options] bootstrap class path not set in conjunction with
-source 8
1 warning
[100%] Built target _jcsound6
janjacobhofmann@janjacobhofmann-ThinkPad-T430:~/csound/cs6make$

However I could make the full install. Still we are not there:

There is no driver at all available at CsoundQt, so there is not output
of sound. Looking at the plugins-folder it shows that there are just 26
objects in it. But I kept a copy of the folder of the previous install
at my desktop. I was expecting it would be generated freshly too while
compiling. Maybe I was wrong...

Sorry for the complications...

Am 05.02.22 um 18:00 schrieb joachim heintz:
> hi ---
>
> in your cs6make folder should be a file called CMakeCache.txt. around
> line 700 you probably find this:
>
> //Use the Gettext internationalization library
> USE_GETTEXT:BOOL=ON
>
> can you try to set OFF instead of ON?  then save and run cmake again.
>
> best -
>

> On 05/02/2022 17:42, Jan Jacob Hofmann wrote:
>> Hello Joachim,
>>
>> thanks! running make reported the following after some processing:
>>

>> make[2]: *** Keine Regel vorhanden, um das Ziel
>> „/home/janjacobhofmann/csound/csound/po/spanish.po“,
>>    benötigt von „po/es.mo“, zu erstellen.  Schluss.
>> make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:2407:
>> po/CMakeFiles/pofile_es.dir/all] Fehler 2
>> make: *** [Makefile:163: all] Fehler 2
>>
>> To me it looks like something is missing...but I do not know what to
>> do...
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Jan Jacob
>>

>> sound      |      movement       |       object      | space
>> sonic architecture     |      site: http://www.sonicarchitecture.de
>> spatial electronic composition    |    higher order ambisonic music
>>
>> Am 05.02.22 um 17:18 schrieb joachim heintz:
>>> can you run make again, but without -j6, to see whether you get more
>>> output about what the error is?
>>>
>>> if this does not say more, run make -d.

>>> Csound mailing list
>>> Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>>> Send bugs reports to
>>> https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>>>

>> Csound mailing list
>> Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>> Send bugs reports to
>> https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

> https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

SubjectRe: [Csnd] Csound compilation on Ubuntu - some help needed...
what do you mean by "There is no driver at all available at CsoundQt"?
do you mean that when you go to CsoundQt's configuration > run, there is
no "RT Audio Module" available?

if this is the case, you must again go into your CMakeCache.txt, and
turn ON the audio modules.  i have:
USE_ALSA:BOOL=ON
USE_JACK:BOOL=ON
USE_PULSEAUDIO:BOOL=ON

or did you miss sudo ldconfig?

best -

On 05/02/2022 18:39, Jan Jacob Hofmann wrote:
> Dear Joachim, dear Victor,
>
> after setting it to OFF cmake -j6 performs until the end. I got 1
> warning at the end:
>
> Building JAVA package csnd6.jar
> warning: [options] bootstrap class path not set in conjunction with
> -source 8
> 1 warning
> [100%] Built target _jcsound6
> janjacobhofmann@janjacobhofmann-ThinkPad-T430:~/csound/cs6make$
>
> However I could make the full install. Still we are not there:
>
> There is no driver at all available at CsoundQt, so there is not output
> of sound. Looking at the plugins-folder it shows that there are just 26
> objects in it. But I kept a copy of the folder of the previous install
> at my desktop. I was expecting it would be generated freshly too while
> compiling. Maybe I was wrong...
>
> Sorry for the complications...
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jan Jacob
>

> sound      |      movement       |       object      |      space
> sonic architecture     |      site:http://www.sonicarchitecture.de
> spatial electronic composition    |    higher order ambisonic music
>
> Am 05.02.22 um 18:00 schrieb joachim heintz:
>> hi ---
>>
>> in your cs6make folder should be a file called CMakeCache.txt. around
>> line 700 you probably find this:
>>
>> //Use the Gettext internationalization library
>> USE_GETTEXT:BOOL=ON
>>
>> can you try to set OFF instead of ON?  then save and run cmake again.
>>
>> best -
>>

>> On 05/02/2022 17:42, Jan Jacob Hofmann wrote:
>>> Hello Joachim,
>>>
>>> thanks! running make reported the following after some processing:
>>>

>>> make[2]: *** Keine Regel vorhanden, um das Ziel
>>> „/home/janjacobhofmann/csound/csound/po/spanish.po“,
>>>    benötigt von „po/es.mo“, zu erstellen.  Schluss.
>>> make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:2407:
>>> po/CMakeFiles/pofile_es.dir/all] Fehler 2
>>> make: *** [Makefile:163: all] Fehler 2
>>>
>>> To me it looks like something is missing...but I do not know what to
>>> do...
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Jan Jacob
>>>

>>> sound      |      movement       |       object      | space
>>> sonic architecture     |      site: http://www.sonicarchitecture.de
>>> spatial electronic composition    |    higher order ambisonic music

>>> Csound mailing list
>>> Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>>> Send bugs reports to
>>> https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>>
>> Csound mailing list
>> Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>> Send bugs reports to
>> https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

>         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

FromJan Jacob Hofmann
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Csound compilation on Ubuntu - some help needed...
Dear Joachim,
yes, there is just null as a driver available. I did not miss sudo ldconfig, but still it did not work well yet. I have got to go now, I'll try your suggestion tomorrow...

Thanks a lot,
Jan Jacob

Am 5. Februar 2022 18:50:39 MEZ schrieb joachim heintz <jh@JOACHIMHEINTZ.DE>:
[...]

Look further back in the build messages to find the actual compiler error, which will have much more descriptive information. It will contain the word error, possibly in red.

Best,
Mike

On Sat, Feb 5, 2022, 19:26 Jan Jacob Hofmann <jjh@sonicarchitecture.de> wrote:
[...]

SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] Re: [Csnd] Csound compilation on Ubuntu - some help needed...
A couple of things:

- when did you get this code? Since yesterday, the develop branch has version 7.

- if you want version 6.17, you can either download the sources from the release or checkout the master branch.

- Note that all opcodes with dependencies, except for the OSC opcodes are now in the plugins repository, which you can build separately.

- The jack, portaudio, portmidi, alsa etc  are still in the main Csound library repository, you should be able to build them.

- The java warning can be ignored.

On 5 Feb 2022, at 18:27, Jan Jacob Hofmann <jjh@sonicarchitecture.de> wrote:

[...]

FromFrancois PINOT
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Csound compilation on Ubuntu - some help needed...
Hello,

I'm using Ubuntu 20.04 too. I had the same error at 86%. Disabling the GETTEXT use solved the problem. Then I had to manually add soundfile.h and OpcodeBase.hpp into /usr/local/include/csound (the include files directory for csound compilation on Ubuntu) to be able to build the plugins. Despite that, all the plugins were built except the widget (FLTK). Finally, when I run csound --devices I get 0 input device and 0 output device.

François

Le sam. 5 févr. 2022 à 19:26, Jan Jacob Hofmann <jjh@sonicarchitecture.de> a écrit :
[...]

That's version 7.
I suppose you are talking about building the plugin repository? That is not yet aligned with the new code, so I would not expect it to build. Some headers have changed, in particular there is a new soundfile.h header in between Csound and libsndfile. The PO stuff might have been broken on merge.

I don't know why you can't load the audio output plugins, but it could be some versioning issue. I don't think it can load 6.x plugins. It could be that there are two versions around.

Best thing for now if anyone wants a fully functional Csound is to stick with 6.x

On 6 Feb 2022, at 09:13, Francois PINOT <fggpinot@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

I have fixed the gettext issue (missing file) and made the soundfile.h header public, as well as adjusting the plugins repo to build correctly (as far as I can tell)
with csound 7.

I tested realtime audio on MacOS and an installed csound 7 can run the backends (e,g, portaudio).

But as I said, this is experimental stuff.

On 6 Feb 2022, at 09:11, Francois PINOT <fggpinot@GMAIL.COM> wrote:

[...]

Dear Victor, dear list,

that's right, now I noticed: it compiles Csound 7. That could be the
origin of all those difficulties. I would love to stick to Csound 6.17
(compiling worked fine on my machine just a week ago), however I am not
sure how to get it.

After the command...

git clone https://github.com/csound/csound.git csound

... I tried ...

git branch

...and got this:
Empfange Objekte: 100% (117277/117277), 88.05 MiB | 4.23 MiB/s, fertig.
Löse Unterschiede auf: 100% (88777/88777), fertig.
janjacobhofmann@janjacobhofmann-ThinkPad-T430:~/csound$ git branch
fatal: Kein Git-Repository (oder irgendeines der Elternverzeichnisse): .git
janjacobhofmann@janjacobhofmann-ThinkPad-T430:~/csound$

..which roughly translates to "no git repository (or one of the parent
directories)"

doing
git checkout master
..reports the same as above:
janjacobhofmann@janjacobhofmann-ThinkPad-T430:~/csound$ git checkout master
fatal: Kein Git-Repository (oder irgendeines der Elternverzeichnisse): .git

So how can I get back to the master branch?

Best wishes,

Am 06.02.22 um 12:08 schrieb Victor Lazzarini:
> [...]
>>                     https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>>
>>                     Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

>>                 https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
>>
>>                 Send bugs reports to
>>                 https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>>
>>                 Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

>>             https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
>>
>>             Send bugs reports to
>>             https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>>
>>             Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here
>>

>>         Csound mailing list
>>         Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>>         https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
>>         Send bugs reports to
>>                  https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>>         Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

>>     https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
>>
>>     Send bugs reports to https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>>
>>     Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

From00000a694ff44505-dmarc-request@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE
SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] Re: [Csnd] Csound compilation on Ubuntu - some help needed...
Did you change into the csound folder after you'd cloned it?

You should be able to do
git clone https://github.com/csound/csound.git csound
cd csound
git checkout csound6

or
git checkout 6.17.0

The first would checkout out the csound6 branch, the second would checkout the tag for 6.17.0

Regards
Alan

fatal: Kein Git-Repository (oder irgendeines der Elternverzeichnisse): .git janjacobhofmann@janjacobhofmann-ThinkPad-T430:~/csound$

> [...]

>> 5bbd98621fd8055c9%7C0%7C0%7C637797355854693351%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3
>> d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%
>> 7C3000&sdata=yN77vyR7fZdWVU2JQeeM0YvWOi%2FEjKrDxrQ1d7%2Bw3uo%3D&reser
>> ved=0> Send bugs reports to https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>> > thub.com%2Fcsound%2Fcsound%2Fissues&data=04%7C01%7CVictor.Lazzarini%4
>> 0mu.ie%7C670216fd2d894977a2f408d9e950b4ac%7C1454f5ccbb354685bbd98621f
>> d8055c9%7C0%7C0%7C637797355854693351%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoi
>> MC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000&sda
>> ta=v9418Avr%2B8Z7kd0seBDAAkmmqRPopILui5A4s%2FGYxZM%3D&reserved=0>
> Csound mailing list Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
> https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and
> features can be posted here

SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] Re: [Csnd] Csound compilation on Ubuntu - some help needed...
git checkout master is right.
are you really in the correct folder?

On 06/02/2022 13:48, Jan Jacob Hofmann wrote:
> [...]
>>>
>>>         Csound mailing list
>>>         Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>>>         https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
>>>

>>>         Send bugs reports to
>>>                  https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>>>

>>>         Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

>>>     https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
>>>

>>>     Send bugs reports to https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>>>

>>>     Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

>>> Send bugs reports to https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

>> Csound mailing list Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>> https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND Send bugs reports to
>> https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and
>> features can be posted here

>         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

FromJan Jacob Hofmann
SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] Re: [Csnd] Csound compilation on Ubuntu - some help needed...
Dear all,

success!!! I have been in the wrong folder to be able to checkout to the
right branch. All the difficulties arouse because I was compiling Csound
7 without noticing it right away. Sorry for not being an expert on
compilation yet, but again I learned so much... thanks to all for that
gentle and wonderful support!!! I was really impressed.

And: Jack support is there, I now can keep on investigating it!!!