[Csnd] How to implemement octave divider?

Date2020-01-29 12:09
FromMikoláš Štrajt
Subject[Csnd] How to implemement octave divider?
Hi,
I would like to create String synthetiser with Csound.

I wanna sound as analog as possible, so I want to create sounds with octave divider but I have no idea how to implement it.

I am pretty sure that there is a opcode for that but I cannot figure which.

(I understand, that I can simply use another oscillator/VCO with cpsmidinn(inotnum-12) but I want go oldschool way).

--
Severák
http://tilde.town/~severak/

Date2020-01-29 22:17
FromJohann Philippe <000002c2c0737523-dmarc-request@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE>
SubjectRe: [Csnd] How to implemement octave divider?
Hello Mikoláš

I'm not sure what you mean exactly by octave divider ?
And I guess that by oldschool way you mean to implement it yourself ?

Bests
Johann

Le mercredi 29 janvier 2020 à 13:19:52 UTC+1, Mikoláš Štrajt <strajt9@seznam.cz> a écrit :

Hi,
I would like to create String synthetiser with Csound.

I wanna sound as analog as possible, so I want to create sounds with octave divider but I have no idea how to implement it.

I am pretty sure that there is a opcode for that but I cannot figure which.

(I understand, that I can simply use another oscillator/VCO with cpsmidinn(inotnum-12) but I want go oldschool way).

--
Severák
http://tilde.town/~severak/

FromPete Goodeve
SubjectRe: [Csnd] How to implemement octave divider?
AttachmentsNone

Date2020-01-29 22:57
FromJustin Smith
SubjectRe: [Csnd] How to implemement octave divider?
the classic algorithm is quite simple (and low fi / noisey) - you use
zero-crossing detections too derive a square wave, then divide that in
half
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octave_effect

You'd want to band limit that for digital of course.

On Wed, Jan 29, 2020 at 2:17 PM Johann Philippe
<000002c2c0737523-dmarc-request@listserv.heanet.ie> wrote:

> Hello Mikoláš,
>
> I'm not sure what you mean exactly by octave divider ?
> And I guess that by oldschool way you mean to implement it yourself ?
>
> Bests
> Johann
>
> Le mercredi 29 janvier 2020 à 13:19:52 UTC+1, Mikoláš Štrajt  a écrit :
>

> Hi,
> I would like to create String synthetiser with Csound.
>
> I wanna sound as analog as possible, so I want to create sounds with octave divider but I have no idea how to implement it.
>
> I am pretty sure that there is a opcode for that but I cannot figure which.
>
> (I understand, that I can simply use another oscillator/VCO with cpsmidinn(inotnum-12) but I want go oldschool way).
>
> --
> Severák
> http://tilde.town/~severak/

SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] Re: [Csnd] How to implemement octave divider?
I wonder if it's possible to implement it without aliasing ( without having to say oversample etc). The derived square wave is non-bandlimited, is it not?

I often wondered about this.