[Csnd] Video of Live performance with Csound playback on RPi

Date2021-07-13 17:52
FromAnton Kholomiov
Subject[Csnd] Video of Live performance with Csound playback on RPi
Hi

I'd like to share two videos of live performances where Csound is used for playbacks
and synthesizers.

I run it on RPi 3, and with Csound I can  trigger drum, percussion,
environmental noizes and pad loops and also use it as a synth.

It was all recorded live.
Also I play on flute and another musician plays Hang drum:

https://youtu.be/IvuAxufNdqU

https://youtu.be/SaFsK3y4soI

Happy listening!
Anton

FromAnton Kholomiov
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Video of Live performance with Csound playback on RPi
I try to explore a randomness for playback. For example I use two pad's and slow random lfo to crossfade between them.
also sometimes I use bbcuts for drum loops to make them less repetitive.

вт, 13 июл. 2021 г. в 19:52, Anton Kholomiov <anton.kholomiov@gmail.com>:
Hi

I'd like to share two videos of live performances where Csound is used for playbacks
and synthesizers.

I run it on RPi 3, and with Csound I can  trigger drum, percussion,
environmental noizes and pad loops and also use it as a synth.

It was all recorded live.
Also I play on flute and another musician plays Hang drum:

https://youtu.be/IvuAxufNdqU

https://youtu.be/SaFsK3y4soI

Happy listening!
Anton

FromPete Goodeve
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Video of Live performance with Csound playback on RPi
AttachmentsNone

Date2021-07-14 06:41
FromAnton Kholomiov
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Video of Live performance with Csound playback on RPi
Hi, Pete

I'm using alsa settings for Csound.

Hang drum is available lots of crafter make them. Look for hangdrum or handpan

ср, 14 июл. 2021 г., 4:33 Pete Goodeve <pete.goodeve@computer.org>:
On Tue, Jul 13, 2021 at 07:52:35PM +0300, Anton Kholomiov wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'd like to share two videos of live performances where Csound is used for
> playbacks
> and synthesizers.
>
> I run it on RPi 3, and with Csound I can  trigger drum, percussion,
> environmental noizes and pad loops and also use it as a synth.
>
> It was all recorded live.
> Also I play on flute and another musician plays Hang drum:
>
> https://youtu.be/IvuAxufNdqU
>
> https://youtu.be/SaFsK3y4soI
>
> Happy listening!
> Anton

Hi Anton,

Those are very attractive pieces...  Thanks for posting!
Never seen that "Hang Drum" before.  Is it available?

I've got to get myself that RPi 4, so I can do some of that! (:-))
(Do you have Jack installled or is it vanilla RPi audio?  I find the
live latency in Linux oppressive otherwise.)

        -- Pete --

FromRory Walsh
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Video of Live performance with Csound playback on RPi
Very nice Anton. Thanks for sharing this. It would be nice to catch a live performance at some stage. :)

On Wed, 14 Jul 2021 at 06:41, Anton Kholomiov <anton.kholomiov@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi, Pete

I'm using alsa settings for Csound.

Hang drum is available lots of crafter make them. Look for hangdrum or handpan

ср, 14 июл. 2021 г., 4:33 Pete Goodeve <pete.goodeve@computer.org>:
On Tue, Jul 13, 2021 at 07:52:35PM +0300, Anton Kholomiov wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'd like to share two videos of live performances where Csound is used for
> playbacks
> and synthesizers.
>
> I run it on RPi 3, and with Csound I can  trigger drum, percussion,
> environmental noizes and pad loops and also use it as a synth.
>
> It was all recorded live.
> Also I play on flute and another musician plays Hang drum:
>
> https://youtu.be/IvuAxufNdqU
>
> https://youtu.be/SaFsK3y4soI
>
> Happy listening!
> Anton

Hi Anton,

Those are very attractive pieces...  Thanks for posting!
Never seen that "Hang Drum" before.  Is it available?

I've got to get myself that RPi 4, so I can do some of that! (:-))
(Do you have Jack installled or is it vanilla RPi audio?  I find the
live latency in Linux oppressive otherwise.)

        -- Pete --

From"Jeanette C."
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Video of Live performance with Csound playback on RPi
Jul 13 2021, Anton Kholomiov has written:
> https://youtu.be/IvuAxufNdqU
>
> https://youtu.be/SaFsK3y4soI
It was happy listening indeed! You play such enjoyable music. Tenere is
so evocative. It's an immediate soundtrack in my head. I like how you
employ Csound in your work. The handpan has such a nice ring, almost
reminiscent of a Rav drum.

Best wishes,

Jeanette

  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c

... About some useless information,
Supposed to fire my imagination <3
(Britney Spears)

FromPete Goodeve
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Video of Live performance with Csound playback on RPi
AttachmentsNone

Date2021-07-21 09:32
FromAnton Kholomiov
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Video of Live performance with Csound playback on RPi
@Pete yes, I'm using Csound only for playbacks right now and trigger of the audio clips
latency is important for midi input, I'm also using it as synth. There is latency not so severe but
it's hard to play some instruments.. I have to make latency bigger to be able to run it on Rpi 3
maybe for 4 version it would be better.

@Rory and @Jeanette Thanks for kind words, I'm happy to know!

ср, 14 июл. 2021 г. в 23:02, Pete Goodeve <pete.goodeve@computer.org>:
On Wed, Jul 14, 2021 at 08:41:21AM +0300, Anton Kholomiov wrote:
> Hi, Pete
>
> I'm using alsa settings for Csound.

Ah, OK...  It looks from the video that you may not be using much live *input*
to Csound -- just drum loops and so on -- so latency may not be that
important.  Is that  the case?

> Hang drum is available lots of crafter make them. Look for hangdrum or
> handpan
Thanks !  Yes,details are easy to find on the Web.  Wikipedia has an excellent
basic description.

        -- Pete --