[Csnd] Unable to find Csound 6.13 after Installation on Mac OS Sierra

Date2019-12-18 04:11
Frombob douglas
Subject[Csnd] Unable to find Csound 6.13 after Installation on Mac OS Sierra
I am new to Csound.
After successfully downloading and installing (standard) Csound 6.13 I am
unable to find it. It doesn't appear in Applications. I tried Spotlight and
the only Csound item it identifies is the volume which was unpacked from the
dmg. I have searched the archive but am unable to find any mention of this
problem.

After further exploration using the Terminal I found /usr/local/bin/csound.
This ran successfully from the Command Line with the following in the
message header :

Csound version 6.13 (double samples) Jul 28 2019.

The installed front-end CsoundQt 0.9.6 fails to run. Part of the error
display :

Dyld Error Message:
  Library not loaded: libcsnd6.6.0.dylib
  Referenced from:
/Users/USER/Desktop/CsoundQt-d-html-cs6.app/Contents/MacOS/CsoundQt-d-html-cs6
  Reason: no suitable image found.  Did find:
	/usr/local/lib/libcsnd6.6.0.dylib: stat() failed with errno=13

Any assistance would be very much appreciated.

Bob Douglas

My system :

Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6
Mac Pro (Late 2013)
Processor 3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5
Memory 16 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Graphics AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB

--
Sent from: http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csound-General-f1093014.html

SubjectRe: [Csnd] Unable to find Csound 6.13 after Installation on Mac OS Sierra
yes, the csound command is always installed  in /usr/local/bin. What surprises me is that the libcsnd6.6.0.dylib was not installed.

To fix you can try this: copy this file from
/Library/Frameworks/CsoundLib64.framework/Versions/6.0/libcsnd6.6.0.dylib

to /usr/local/lib

Then CsoundQT should find it.

> On 18 Dec 2019, at 04:04, bob douglas  wrote:
>
> I am new to Csound.
> After successfully downloading and installing (standard) Csound 6.13 I am
> unable to find it. It doesn't appear in Applications. I tried Spotlight and
> the only Csound item it identifies is the volume which was unpacked from the
> dmg. I have searched the archive but am unable to find any mention of this
> problem.
>
> After further exploration using the Terminal I found /usr/local/bin/csound.
> This ran successfully from the Command Line with the following in the
> message header :
>
> Csound version 6.13 (double samples) Jul 28 2019.
>

> The installed front-end CsoundQt 0.9.6 fails to run. Part of the error
> display :
>
> Dyld Error Message:
>  Library not loaded: libcsnd6.6.0.dylib
>  Referenced from:
> /Users/USER/Desktop/CsoundQt-d-html-cs6.app/Contents/MacOS/CsoundQt-d-html-cs6
>  Reason: no suitable image found.  Did find:
>    /usr/local/lib/libcsnd6.6.0.dylib: stat() failed with errno=13
>
> Any assistance would be very much appreciated.
>
> Bob Douglas
>

> My system :
>
> Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6
> Mac Pro (Late 2013)
> Processor 3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5
> Memory 16 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
> Graphics AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB
>

> --
> Sent from: http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csound-General-f1093014.html

>        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

Frombob douglas
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Unable to find Csound 6.13 after Installation on Mac OS Sierra
Thank you for your reply.

When I copied libcsnd6.6.0.dylib to /usr/local/lib it must have already
existed in that directory :

from /Library/Frameworks/CsoundLib64.framework/Versions/6.0

cp libcsnd6.6.0.dylib /usr/local/lib
cp: /usr/local/lib/libcsnd6.6.0.dylib and libcsnd6.6.0.dylib are identical
(not copied).

Bob Douglas

Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6

--
Sent from: http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csound-General-f1093014.html

SubjectRe: [Csnd] Unable to find Csound 6.13 after Installation on Mac OS Sierra
Looking again at your error, it says

stat() failed with errno=13

that is (I think) permission denied. Could you check the access permissions of that file?

It shoudl be

ls -l /usr/local/lib/libcsnd6.6.0.dylib
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  73  9 Nov 10:04 /usr/local/lib/libcsnd6.6.0.dylib -> /Library/Frameworks/CsoundLib64.framework/Versions/6.0/libcsnd6.6.0.dylib

also check that /usr/local/lib can is also readable

ls -ld /usr/local/lib
drwxr-xr-x  405 root  wheel  12960  9 Nov 10:04 /usr/local/lib

> On 18 Dec 2019, at 09:03, bob douglas  wrote:
>
> Thank you for your reply.
>
> When I copied libcsnd6.6.0.dylib to /usr/local/lib it must have already
> existed in that directory :
>
> from /Library/Frameworks/CsoundLib64.framework/Versions/6.0
>
> cp libcsnd6.6.0.dylib /usr/local/lib
> cp: /usr/local/lib/libcsnd6.6.0.dylib and libcsnd6.6.0.dylib are identical
> (not copied).
>
> Bob Douglas
>

> Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6
>> Mac Pro (Late 2013)
>> Processor 3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5
>> Memory 16 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
>

> --
> Sent from: http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csound-General-f1093014.html

>        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

FromTarmo Johannes
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Unable to find Csound 6.13 after Installation on Mac OS Sierra
Hi,

It is strange, indeed, might be also some packaging weirdness of CsoundQt.
You could try also older and newer versions to see if it makes any difference:

Please let know how it goes and if you can perhaps determine the cause of the issue.

Best!
tarmo

Kontakt Victor Lazzarini (<Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie>) kirjutas kuupäeval K, 18. detsember 2019 kell 11:04:
Looking again at your error, it says

stat() failed with errno=13

that is (I think) permission denied. Could you check the access permissions of that file?

It shoudl be

ls -l /usr/local/lib/libcsnd6.6.0.dylib
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  73  9 Nov 10:04 /usr/local/lib/libcsnd6.6.0.dylib -> /Library/Frameworks/CsoundLib64.framework/Versions/6.0/libcsnd6.6.0.dylib

also check that /usr/local/lib can is also readable

ls -ld /usr/local/lib
drwxr-xr-x  405 root  wheel  12960  9 Nov 10:04 /usr/local/lib

> On 18 Dec 2019, at 09:03, bob douglas <rodog@OPTUSNET.COM.AU> wrote:
>
> Thank you for your reply.
>
> When I copied libcsnd6.6.0.dylib to /usr/local/lib it must have already
> existed in that directory :
>
> from /Library/Frameworks/CsoundLib64.framework/Versions/6.0
>
> cp libcsnd6.6.0.dylib /usr/local/lib
> cp: /usr/local/lib/libcsnd6.6.0.dylib and libcsnd6.6.0.dylib are identical
> (not copied).
>
> Bob Douglas
>

> Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6
>> Mac Pro (Late 2013)
>> Processor 3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5
>> Memory 16 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
>

> --
> Sent from: http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csound-General-f1093014.html

>        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

SubjectRe: [Csnd] Unable to find Csound 6.13 after Installation on Mac OS Sierra
Glad it fixed it. I need to check that the installer is correctly setting the permissions, but it is funny that
we have not come across that problem before.

> On 18 Dec 2019, at 12:38, bob douglas  wrote:
>
> That has fixed it.
> The permissions on the /usr/local/lib directory were, for some unknown
> reason, drwx------
> As su I chmodded them to drwxr-xr-x
>
> Now CsoundQt launches successfully.
>
> The permissions for files within the /lib directory did not need to be
> changed :
>
> ls -l /usr/local/lib/libcsnd6.6.0.dylib resulted in :
>
> lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  73 18 Dec 13:23 /usr/local/lib/libcsnd6.6.0.dylib
> -> /Library/Frameworks/CsoundLib64.framework/Versions/6.0/libcsnd6.6.0.dylib
>
> Many thanks for your help Prof. Lazzarini
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> Bob Douglas
>

> --
> Sent from: http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csound-General-f1093014.html

>        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

Frombob douglas
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Unable to find Csound 6.13 after Installation on Mac OS Sierra
That has fixed it.
The permissions on the /usr/local/lib directory were, for some unknown
reason, drwx------
As su I chmodded them to drwxr-xr-x

Now CsoundQt launches successfully.

The permissions for files within the /lib directory did not need to be
changed :

ls -l /usr/local/lib/libcsnd6.6.0.dylib resulted in :

lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  73 18 Dec 13:23 /usr/local/lib/libcsnd6.6.0.dylib
-> /Library/Frameworks/CsoundLib64.framework/Versions/6.0/libcsnd6.6.0.dylib

Many thanks for your help Prof. Lazzarini

Kind Regards,

Bob Douglas

--
Sent from: http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csound-General-f1093014.html

FromJohn ff
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Unable to find Csound 6.13 after Installation on Mac OS Sierra
Beyond what is in the release notes only the git log.

⁣Sent from TypeApp ​

On Dec 18, 2019, 14:51, at 14:51, Bernard Geyer  wrote:
>Hi,
>
>How can one know what are the changes in the last beta version ?
>
>Best,
>Bernard
>

>--
>Sent from:
>http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csound-General-f1093014.html

>Send bugs reports to
>        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

FromBernard Geyer