[Csnd] New Release of Csound FLOSS Manual

Subject[Csnd] New Release of Csound FLOSS Manual
The Csound FLOSS Manual project started 2010, to provide a free online
resource for learning Csound. Now we have a big new step: All examples
can be executed directly in a web browser (preferably Chrome/Chromium),
without any previous installation of Csound. Hlöðver Sigurðsson has
written the complete environment, including a new version of the Csound
WASM module.

The whole text has been revised. There are new contributions by Michael
Gogins, François Pinot, Alessandro Petrolati, Anton Kholomiov, Marijana
Janevska, Philipp Henkel, Rory Walsh and Joachim Heintz, including a lot
of new figures.

This is the URL: https://flossmanual.csound.com/
Sources: https://github.com/csound-flossmanual/csound-floss
Release note: https://flossmanual.csound.com/introduction/on-this-release

This new release is one of the results of the memorable Csound
Conference in Cagli, one year ago. It is dedicated to our friend Eugenio
Giordani whom we miss so much.

Joachim Heintz and Hlöðver Sigurðsson

FromRory Walsh
SubjectRe: [Csnd] New Release of Csound FLOSS Manual
Amazing guys. This is the first resource I send my students to. Congratulations!

On Mon, 28 Sep 2020 at 09:52, joachim heintz <jh@joachimheintz.de> wrote:
[...]

FromAndreas Bergsland
SubjectRe: [Csnd] New Release of Csound FLOSS Manual
Wow! This is amazing!
I love that the code can be run directly in the browser.
Many thanks for the great work.
Best, Andreas

On 28/09/2020, 10:52, "A discussion list for users of Csound on behalf of joachim heintz"  wrote:

[...]

FromTarmo Johannes
SubjectRe: [Csnd] New Release of Csound FLOSS Manual
Congratulations and greatest thanks!
Indeed, FLOSS manual is now the material no 1!
Tarmo

E, 28. september 2020 11:06 Andreas Bergsland <andreas.bergsland@ntnu.no> kirjutas:

On 28/09/2020, 10:52, "A discussion list for users of Csound on behalf of joachim heintz" <CSOUND@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE on behalf of jh@JOACHIMHEINTZ.DE> wrote:

[...]

FromDave Seidel
SubjectRe: [Csnd] New Release of Csound FLOSS Manual
Excellent, the FLOSS manual has become a primary reference for me along with the canonical manual (and in fact they should both be considered canonical).

- Dave

On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 5:53 AM Tarmo Johannes <trmjhnns@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

From"Dr. Richard Boulanger"
SubjectRe: [Csnd] New Release of Csound FLOSS Manual
Congratulations.

Love the Floss Manual and appreciate all your work and the work of all the contributors!

So much great advice.
So many tricks and new approaches.
So many inspiring instruments and sounds.

Thanks!!!

Dr. Richard Boulanger
Professor
Electronic Production and Design
Berklee College of Music

On Sep 28, 2020, at 7:03 AM, Dave Seidel <dave.seidel@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Congratulations!  I'm using the text in my course this semester and
the new version has been great.  The hard work put into it by all is
greatly appreciated!

On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 4:52 AM joachim heintz  wrote:

> The Csound FLOSS Manual project started 2010, to provide a free online
> resource for learning Csound. Now we have a big new step: All examples
> can be executed directly in a web browser (preferably Chrome/Chromium),
> without any previous installation of Csound. Hlöðver Sigurðsson has
> written the complete environment, including a new version of the Csound
> WASM module.
>
> The whole text has been revised. There are new contributions by Michael
> Gogins, François Pinot, Alessandro Petrolati, Anton Kholomiov, Marijana
> Janevska, Philipp Henkel, Rory Walsh and Joachim Heintz, including a lot
> of new figures.
>
> This is the URL: https://flossmanual.csound.com/
> Sources: https://github.com/csound-flossmanual/csound-floss
> Release note: https://flossmanual.csound.com/introduction/on-this-release
>
> This new release is one of the results of the memorable Csound
> Conference in Cagli, one year ago. It is dedicated to our friend Eugenio
> Giordani whom we miss so much.
>
> Joachim Heintz and Hlöðver Sigurðsson

FromOscar Pablo Di Liscia
SubjectRe: [Csnd] New Release of Csound FLOSS Manual
Great work Joachim, congratulations!

On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 4:52 AM joachim heintz <jh@joachimheintz.de> wrote:

> The Csound FLOSS Manual project started 2010, to provide a free online
> resource for learning Csound. Now we have a big new step: All examples
> can be executed directly in a web browser (preferably Chrome/Chromium),
> without any previous installation of Csound. Hlöðver Sigurðsson has
> written the complete environment, including a new version of the Csound
> WASM module.
>
> The whole text has been revised. There are new contributions by Michael
> Gogins, François Pinot, Alessandro Petrolati, Anton Kholomiov, Marijana
> Janevska, Philipp Henkel, Rory Walsh and Joachim Heintz, including a lot
> of new figures.
>
> This is the URL: https://flossmanual.csound.com/
> Sources: https://github.com/csound-flossmanual/csound-floss
> Release note: https://flossmanual.csound.com/introduction/on-this-release
>
> This new release is one of the results of the memorable Csound
> Conference in Cagli, one year ago. It is dedicated to our friend Eugenio
> Giordani whom we miss so much.
>
> Joachim Heintz and Hlöðver Sigurðsson

Dr. Oscar Pablo Di Liscia
Profesor Titular
Director Programa de Investigación "Sistemas Temporales y Síntesis Espacial en el Arte Sonoro"
http://stseas.web.unq.edu.ar/
Director Colección Editorial "Música y Ciencia"
Escuela Universitaria de Artes
Universidad Nacional de Quilmes
Argentina

From"Dr. Richard Boulanger"
SubjectRe: [Csnd] New Release of Csound FLOSS Manual
More mind-blowing WOW.

The ability to just listen to the instruments live - and even play some of them with MIDI.

Game Changer in terms of "learning" Csound

Is there a save to disk button?

(of note, it did not play the examples live on my iPhoneX and so that explains why I was only amazed and thrilled and grateful in the first email on this thread.
- now, at my laptop with my MIDI keyboard installed.  MIND-BLOWN.

Beyond Awesome.

-dB

Dr. Richard Boulanger

Professor of Electronic Production and Design

Berklee College of Music

Professional Writing and Technology Division

skype: radiobaton

facebook: https://www.facebook.com/richard.boulanger.58

about: http://www.boulangerlabs.com/#about

about: http://www.csounds.com/community/developers/dr-richard-boulanger/

music: http://www.csounds.com/community/developers/dr-richard-boulanger/dr-richard-boulanger-music/

Boulanger Labs - http://boulangerlabs.com

The Csound Book http://mitpress.mit.edu/books/csound-book

The Audio Programming Book - http://mitpress.mit.edu/books/audio-programming-book

This is the URL: https://us-west-2.protection.sophos.com?d=csound.com&u=aHR0cHM6Ly9mbG9zc21hbnVhbC5jc291bmQuY29tLw==&e=cmJvdWxhbmdlckBiZXJrbGVlLmVkdQ==&t=cUs1MGUxYXFQSFJiaU5TZzY0NmxJOUJqenBpSWRaTitRQVN4TnJUK2ZXbz0=&h=517c4eb5cd0d413b9dba649c76510f27
Sources: https://us-west-2.protection.sophos.com?d=github.com&u=aHR0cHM6Ly9naXRodWIuY29tL2Nzb3VuZC1mbG9zc21hbnVhbC9jc291bmQtZmxvc3M=&e=cmJvdWxhbmdlckBiZXJrbGVlLmVkdQ==&t=d3VHcEdpSEEyUjNyNnFTb2xXSEwybVJFRmdSajYwMW9tMm1oTncrQnp3dz0=&h=517c4eb5cd0d413b9dba649c76510f27
Release note: https://us-west-2.protection.sophos.com?d=csound.com&u=aHR0cHM6Ly9mbG9zc21hbnVhbC5jc291bmQuY29tL2ludHJvZHVjdGlvbi9vbi10aGlzLXJlbGVhc2U=&e=cmJvdWxhbmdlckBiZXJrbGVlLmVkdQ==&t=bWFXWDhmem5pWHM1ak1vdUh2ZDRIRjdtU0NTNWkvTjN2VUdNQUNoWW4xbz0=&h=517c4eb5cd0d413b9dba649c76510f27

This new release is one of the results of the memorable Csound
Conference in Cagli, one year ago. It is dedicated to our friend Eugenio
Giordani whom we miss so much.

Joachim Heintz and Hlöðver Sigurðsson

https://us-west-2.protection.sophos.com?d=heanet.ie&u=aHR0cHM6Ly9saXN0c2Vydi5oZWFuZXQuaWUvY2dpLWJpbi93YT9BMD1DU09VTkQ=&e=cmJvdWxhbmdlckBiZXJrbGVlLmVkdQ==&t=V2MrMzVGMU1BZEZaZ1lZck9kUnhTTC9YN1BHMnUxSDd4THhWY0dLeURxYz0=&h=517c4eb5cd0d413b9dba649c76510f27
Send bugs reports to
        https://us-west-2.protection.sophos.com?d=github.com&u=aHR0cHM6Ly9naXRodWIuY29tL2Nzb3VuZC9jc291bmQvaXNzdWVz&e=cmJvdWxhbmdlckBiZXJrbGVlLmVkdQ==&t=cWpnbGx6KzZUci9yQkZQMDNaTDdyZFdzK1l1WDE0TVhzOXR1dHltRUx5RT0=&h=517c4eb5cd0d413b9dba649c76510f27

FromOeyvind Brandtsegg
SubjectRe: [Csnd] New Release of Csound FLOSS Manual
Fantastic work. Congratulations!

man. 28. sep. 2020 kl. 10:52 skrev joachim heintz <jh@joachimheintz.de>:
[...]

FromDave Phillips
On 9/28/20 4:52 AM, joachim heintz wrote:
> The Csound FLOSS Manual project started 2010, to provide a free online
> resource for learning Csound. Now we have a big new step: All examples
> can be executed directly in a web browser (preferably
> Chrome/Chromium), without any previous installation of Csound. Hlöðver
> Sigurðsson has written the complete environment, including a new
> version of the Csound WASM module.
>
> The whole text has been revised. There are new contributions by
> Michael Gogins, François Pinot, Alessandro Petrolati, Anton Kholomiov,
> Marijana Janevska, Philipp Henkel, Rory Walsh and Joachim Heintz,
> including a lot of new figures.

Fantastic work, really first-rate. Deep gratitude to all who contributed !

Best regards,

dp

SubjectRe: [Csnd] New Release of Csound FLOSS Manual
thanks to all for the encouraging reactions.  i should add that i'd
appreciate any suggestions, improvements etc — if this will really serve
as learning resource, it must always be in transition ...

there is also the github ticket system which can be used for technical
or content issues:
https://github.com/csound-flossmanual/csound-floss/issues

cheers -
	joachim

On 29/09/2020 14:50, Dave Phillips wrote:
> On 9/28/20 4:52 AM, joachim heintz wrote:
>> The Csound FLOSS Manual project started 2010, to provide a free online
>> resource for learning Csound. Now we have a big new step: All examples
>> can be executed directly in a web browser (preferably
>> Chrome/Chromium), without any previous installation of Csound. Hlöðver
>> Sigurðsson has written the complete environment, including a new
>> version of the Csound WASM module.
>>
>> The whole text has been revised. There are new contributions by
>> Michael Gogins, François Pinot, Alessandro Petrolati, Anton Kholomiov,
>> Marijana Janevska, Philipp Henkel, Rory Walsh and Joachim Heintz,
>> including a lot of new figures.
>
> Fantastic work, really first-rate. Deep gratitude to all who contributed !
>
> Best regards,
>
> dp

>         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

FromBernt Isak Wærstad
SubjectRe: [Csnd] New Release of Csound FLOSS Manual
Great work!! Thanks for putting in all the work to put this together!

On Wed, 30 Sep 2020 at 10:01, joachim heintz <jh@joachimheintz.de> wrote:
thanks to all for the encouraging reactions.  i should add that i'd
appreciate any suggestions, improvements etc — if this will really serve
as learning resource, it must always be in transition ...

there is also the github ticket system which can be used for technical
or content issues:
https://github.com/csound-flossmanual/csound-floss/issues

cheers -
        joachim

On 29/09/2020 14:50, Dave Phillips wrote:
> On 9/28/20 4:52 AM, joachim heintz wrote:
>> The Csound FLOSS Manual project started 2010, to provide a free online
>> resource for learning Csound. Now we have a big new step: All examples
>> can be executed directly in a web browser (preferably
>> Chrome/Chromium), without any previous installation of Csound. Hlöðver
>> Sigurðsson has written the complete environment, including a new
>> version of the Csound WASM module.
>>
>> The whole text has been revised. There are new contributions by
>> Michael Gogins, François Pinot, Alessandro Petrolati, Anton Kholomiov,
>> Marijana Janevska, Philipp Henkel, Rory Walsh and Joachim Heintz,
>> including a lot of new figures.
>
> Fantastic work, really first-rate. Deep gratitude to all who contributed !
>
> Best regards,
>
> dp

>         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

Mvh.

Bernt Isak Wærstad

From"Jeanette C."
SubjectRe: [Csnd] New Release of Csound FLOSS Manual
Hey hey,
Sep 28 2020, joachim heintz has written:
> This is the URL: https://flossmanual.csound.com/
Is this the only way to access the new manual? I suspect that not only
the ingenious livecode WASM feature has been added, but some of the text
also updated? I can't access this site from the commandline at all
though. In my bookmarks I still have this URL:
http://floss.booktype.pro/csound/
Would the material in that be the same?

Seeing that I personally don't get much from the WASM app, I still
appreciate it and the effort that has gone into it.

Best wishes,

Jeanette

  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c

You should never try to change me
I can be nobody else
And I like the way I am <3
(Britney Spears)

FromHlöðver Sigurðsson
SubjectRe: [Csnd] New Release of Csound FLOSS Manual

Jeanette C  the current website requires javascript to run, the booktype.pro is a deprecated url

You can access the new version as pdf, ebpub and odt.

https://flossmanual.csound.com/build/csound-flossmanual-7.0.0.epub
https://flossmanual.csound.com/build/csound-flossmanual-7.0.0.pdf
https://flossmanual.csound.com/build/csound-flossmanual-7.0.0.odt

That said, there's no tracking or hidden parts of the website, it's fully open source.
Although I can't promise about the webhosting, which we get for free with CI hooks from
github and firebase, so in a sense, I can understand that point of view of not trusting javascript.

On Wed, 30 Sep 2020 at 23:09, Jeanette C. <julien@mail.upb.de> wrote:
Hey hey,
Sep 28 2020, joachim heintz has written:
> This is the URL: https://flossmanual.csound.com/
Is this the only way to access the new manual? I suspect that not only
the ingenious livecode WASM feature has been added, but some of the text
also updated? I can't access this site from the commandline at all
though. In my bookmarks I still have this URL:
http://floss.booktype.pro/csound/
Would the material in that be the same?

Seeing that I personally don't get much from the WASM app, I still
appreciate it and the effort that has gone into it.

Best wishes,

Jeanette

  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c

You should never try to change me
I can be nobody else
And I like the way I am <3
(Britney Spears)

FromHlöðver Sigurðsson
SubjectRe: [Csnd] New Release of Csound FLOSS Manual
My last message got bit scrambled. I may have also been too quick to jump on the conclusion that javascript is the culprit here. Which application are you using to browse from the command line? I'd love to see if there's something I can do to help.

On Thu, 1 Oct 2020 at 00:49, Hlöðver Sigurðsson <hlolli@gmail.com> wrote:

Jeanette C  the current website requires javascript to run, the booktype.pro is a deprecated url

You can access the new version as pdf, ebpub and odt.

https://flossmanual.csound.com/build/csound-flossmanual-7.0.0.epub
https://flossmanual.csound.com/build/csound-flossmanual-7.0.0.pdf
https://flossmanual.csound.com/build/csound-flossmanual-7.0.0.odt

That said, there's no tracking or hidden parts of the website, it's fully open source.
Although I can't promise about the webhosting, which we get for free with CI hooks from
github and firebase, so in a sense, I can understand that point of view of not trusting javascript.

On Wed, 30 Sep 2020 at 23:09, Jeanette C. <julien@mail.upb.de> wrote:
Hey hey,
Sep 28 2020, joachim heintz has written:
> This is the URL: https://flossmanual.csound.com/
Is this the only way to access the new manual? I suspect that not only
the ingenious livecode WASM feature has been added, but some of the text
also updated? I can't access this site from the commandline at all
though. In my bookmarks I still have this URL:
http://floss.booktype.pro/csound/
Would the material in that be the same?

Seeing that I personally don't get much from the WASM app, I still
appreciate it and the effort that has gone into it.

Best wishes,

Jeanette

  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c

You should never try to change me
I can be nobody else
And I like the way I am <3
(Britney Spears)

FromPete Goodeve
SubjectRe: [Csnd] New Release of Csound FLOSS Manual
AttachmentsNone

Date2020-10-01 06:47
From"Jeanette C."
SubjectRe: [Csnd] New Release of Csound FLOSS Manual
Oct 1 2020, Hlöðver Sigurðsson has written:

> Jeanette C  the current website requires javascript to run,
OK, that is the culprit. :) None of the commandline browsers support it
at the moment. In case someone does know browsh, it's not an option
without sight.
> You can access the new version as pdf, ebpub and odt.
Thank you that does help.

Best wishes,

Jeanette

  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c

You should take me as I am
'Cause I can promise you
Baby, what you see is what ytou get <3
(Britney Spears)

Fromluis antunes pena
SubjectRe: [Csnd] New Release of Csound FLOSS Manual
Thank you so much for this Joachim & all! Allways finding something new in the floss manual!

Am 28.09.20 um 10:52 schrieb joachim heintz:
[...]

hi -

yes it is VERY different from the version at
http://floss.booktype.pro/csound/

i contacted mick from flossmanuals.net, and the url there now directly
redirects to our new version.  for the booktype version this was not
possible.  i will put a hint there.

best -
	joachim

On 30/09/2020 23:09, Jeanette C. wrote:
> Hey hey,
> Sep 28 2020, joachim heintz has written:
>> This is the URL: https://flossmanual.csound.com/
> Is this the only way to access the new manual? I suspect that not only
> the ingenious livecode WASM feature has been added, but some of the text
> also updated? I can't access this site from the commandline at all
> though. In my bookmarks I still have this URL:
> http://floss.booktype.pro/csound/
> Would the material in that be the same?
>
> Seeing that I personally don't get much from the WASM app, I still
> appreciate it and the effort that has gone into it.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Jeanette

FromBen McAllister
SubjectRe: [Csnd] New Release of Csound FLOSS Manual
I guess my print copy of the old site is going to be worth BIG bucks! Congrats on the new site - it feels great so far and is a the examples are a great hook for new recruits to the community. Thanks for your hard work!

On Thu, Oct 1, 2020 at 1:29 AM joachim heintz <jh@joachimheintz.de> wrote:
hi -

yes it is VERY different from the version at
http://floss.booktype.pro/csound/

i contacted mick from flossmanuals.net, and the url there now directly
redirects to our new version.  for the booktype version this was not
possible.  i will put a hint there.

best -
        joachim

On 30/09/2020 23:09, Jeanette C. wrote:
> Hey hey,
> Sep 28 2020, joachim heintz has written:
>> This is the URL: https://flossmanual.csound.com/
> Is this the only way to access the new manual? I suspect that not only
> the ingenious livecode WASM feature has been added, but some of the text
> also updated? I can't access this site from the commandline at all
> though. In my bookmarks I still have this URL:
> http://floss.booktype.pro/csound/
> Would the material in that be the same?
>
> Seeing that I personally don't get much from the WASM app, I still
> appreciate it and the effort that has gone into it.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Jeanette

Ben McAllister | listenfaster.com |  @listenfaster | tuktuband.com | c: 206.849.3183

FromMarvin Kim
SubjectRe: [Csnd] New Release of Csound FLOSS Manual
Thank you so much! This is great