[Csnd] Mixing audio channels (chn) with chnmix

Date2019-10-30 18:03
From"Jeanette C."
Subject[Csnd] Mixing audio channels (chn) with chnmix
Hey hey,
I have a big orchestra with - possibly - a lot of channels/busses. One channel
might be fed by different instruments at the same time.

There is chnmix, but apparently that only works once chnset is going on
somewhere else.

What, in your experience, is the best way to deal with that situation? Have
one instrument running using chnset with a 0 audio signal or has anyone
developed a better technique?

Best wishes and TIA,

Jeanette

  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c

All you people look at me like I'm a little girl.
Well did you ever think it be okay for me to step into this world. <3
(Britney Spears)

SubjectRe: [Csnd] Mixing audio channels (chn) with chnmix
you mean this?

chnset(asig + chnget("chan"), "chan")

> On 30 Oct 2019, at 18:03, Jeanette C.  wrote:
>
> Hey hey,
> I have a big orchestra with - possibly - a lot of channels/busses. One channel might be fed by different instruments at the same time.
>
> There is chnmix, but apparently that only works once chnset is going on somewhere else.
>
> What, in your experience, is the best way to deal with that situation? Have one instrument running using chnset with a 0 audio signal or has anyone developed a better technique?
>
> Best wishes and TIA,
>
> Jeanette
>
> --
> * Website: http://juliencoder.de - for summer is a state of sound
> * Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMS4rfGrTwz8W7jhC1Jnv7g
> * SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/jeanette_c
> * Twitter: https://twitter.com/jeanette_c_s
> * Audiobombs: https://www.audiobombs.com/users/jeanette_c
> * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c
>
> All you people look at me like I'm a little girl.
> Well did you ever think it be okay for me to step into this world. <3
> (Britney Spears)

>       https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

From"Jeanette C."
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Mixing audio channels (chn) with chnmix
Oct 30 2019, Victor Lazzarini has written:

> you mean this?
>
> chnset(asig + chnget("chan"), "chan")
Hm, that looks very nifty. I will give this a try. Thanks. It reads very
ellegantly.

Best wishes,

Jeanette

  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c

All you people look at me like I'm a little girl.
Well did you ever think it be okay for me to step into this world. <3
(Britney Spears)

From"Jeanette C."
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Mixing audio channels (chn) with chnmix
Oct 30 2019, Victor Lazzarini has written:

> you mean this?
>
> chnset(asig + chnget("chan"), "chan")
I just tried it and it results in this:
INIT ERROR in instr 1 line 21: channel already exists with incompatible
type
#i2     chnget.i        "chan"

I tired with and without explicit creation of the channel in the
consumer instrument like this:
chn_a "chan", 3

I also tried to put the above in two calls:
aold chnget "chan"
chnset (anew + aold), "chan"
This resulted in a short blaring sound and silence. The same happens in
all cases with chnmix instead of chnset.

Is this the expected behaviour?

Best wishes,

Jeanette

>> On 30 Oct 2019, at 18:03, Jeanette C.  wrote:
>>
>> Hey hey,
>> I have a big orchestra with - possibly - a lot of channels/busses. One channel might be fed by different instruments at the same time.
>>
>> There is chnmix, but apparently that only works once chnset is going on somewhere else.
>>
>> What, in your experience, is the best way to deal with that situation? Have one instrument running using chnset with a 0 audio signal or has anyone developed a better technique?
>>
>> Best wishes and TIA,
>>
>> Jeanette
>>
>> --
>> * Website: http://juliencoder.de - for summer is a state of sound
>> * Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMS4rfGrTwz8W7jhC1Jnv7g
>> * SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/jeanette_c
>> * Twitter: https://twitter.com/jeanette_c_s
>> * Audiobombs: https://www.audiobombs.com/users/jeanette_c
>> * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c
>>
>> All you people look at me like I'm a little girl.
>> Well did you ever think it be okay for me to step into this world. <3
>> (Britney Spears)
>>
>> Csound mailing list
>> Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>> Send bugs reports to
>>       https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

>        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c

All you people look at me like I'm a little girl.
Well did you ever think it be okay for me to step into this world. <3
(Britney Spears)

SubjectRe: [Csnd] Mixing audio channels (chn) with chnmix
It is if you don't clear the channel
after using it. It will keep adding stuff until it
blows off. Look up chnclear.

> [...]
>> Send bugs reports to
>>       https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>>

> --
> * Website: http://juliencoder.de - for summer is a state of sound
> * Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMS4rfGrTwz8W7jhC1Jnv7g
> * SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/jeanette_c
> * Twitter: https://twitter.com/jeanette_c_s
> * Audiobombs: https://www.audiobombs.com/users/jeanette_c
> * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c
>
> All you people look at me like I'm a little girl.
> Well did you ever think it be okay for me to step into this world. <3
> (Britney Spears)

>       https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

From"Jeanette C."
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Mixing audio channels (chn) with chnmix
Oct 30 2019, Victor Lazzarini has written:

> It is if you don't clear the channel
> after using it. It will keep adding stuff until it
Ah, never had to deal with that before really. Now it works.

Many thanks, Victor.

Best wishes,

Jeanette