[Csnd] Csound7 and OO?

Date2020-08-07 20:35
From"Jeanette C."
Subject[Csnd] Csound7 and OO?
Hey hey,
this is probably a question for Steven. In the last Csound meeting I heard
something about a possible infusion of OO into Csound. Looking on the Wiki I
couldn't find anything to that affect on the Csound7 page. But I am very
interested in which way OO _MIGHT_ be entering Csound?

Alas, I also couldn't download the video at all. Download restarted after
about 4GB and the zipfile resisted unpacking. :(

Best wishes and many thanks,

Jeanette

  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c

you made me realize..not to compromise
the fact that you and i should meet... <3
(Britney Spears)

FromRory Walsh
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Csound7 and OO?
I think this discussion might be relevant? Or?

On Fri, 7 Aug 2020 at 20:35, Jeanette C. <julien@mail.upb.de> wrote:
Hey hey,
this is probably a question for Steven. In the last Csound meeting I heard
something about a possible infusion of OO into Csound. Looking on the Wiki I
couldn't find anything to that affect on the Csound7 page. But I am very
interested in which way OO _MIGHT_ be entering Csound?

Alas, I also couldn't download the video at all. Download restarted after
about 4GB and the zipfile resisted unpacking. :(

Best wishes and many thanks,

Jeanette

  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c

you made me realize..not to compromise
the fact that you and i should meet... <3
(Britney Spears)

FromHlöðver Sigurðsson
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Csound7 and OO?
I've been pushing for https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prototype-based_programming into csound. Java style classes and inheritance is a full time job to maintain and prone to errors. Simple paradigm would be the way forward in my opinion. So many nice languages with simple parsers based on prototype design. But I want to talk less and do more when it comes to Csound7.

On Fri, 7 Aug 2020 at 21:34, Jeanette C. <julien@mail.upb.de> wrote:
Hey hey,
this is probably a question for Steven. In the last Csound meeting I heard
something about a possible infusion of OO into Csound. Looking on the Wiki I
couldn't find anything to that affect on the Csound7 page. But I am very
interested in which way OO _MIGHT_ be entering Csound?

Alas, I also couldn't download the video at all. Download restarted after
about 4GB and the zipfile resisted unpacking. :(

Best wishes and many thanks,

Jeanette

  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c

you made me realize..not to compromise
the fact that you and i should meet... <3
(Britney Spears)

From"Jeanette C."
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Csound7 and OO?
Aug 7 2020, Rory Walsh has written:

> I think this discussion might be relevant? Or?
> http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csound6-Type-System-td5713477.html
Thanks, Rory. This answers my question. At least enough to get the basic
idea and know that I had been speculating along quite different lines.
:)

Best wishes,

Jeanette

  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c

you made me realize..not to compromise
the fact that you and i should meet... <3
(Britney Spears)

SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] Re: [Csnd] Csound7 and OO?
yes, I don't think we need the baggage of full inheritance etc. An extendable typesystem would be enough.

On 7 Aug 2020, at 20:46, Hlöðver Sigurðsson <hlolli@gmail.com> wrote:

*Warning*

This email originated from outside of Maynooth University's Mail System. Do not reply, click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.

[...]

FromJosh Moore
SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] Re: [Csnd] Csound7 and OO?
May be easier to have some other language generate the csd if you need fancy things. Kinda like how front ends work except you're exposed to the internal bits.

 I'd like to see a offline preprocessor to real time. Ie, computing a bunch of ftables to be played from a sort of instrument like code that loads at init without having to trigger it and wait in real time for it to compute. As some things are static (drums, drones, whatever) and can be sampled and further manipulated. Or say you wanted to generate 88 bandlimited sawtooth waves, you may save a few cycles from a single blit OSC this way.

On Fri, Aug 7, 2020, 1:20 PM Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
[...]

In realtime mode, all init-time code is run outside the audio processing thread, so if your instrument only consists of i-time code it will do what you are asking.

On 7 Aug 2020, at 22:42, Josh Moore <kh405.7h30ry@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

But doesn't the instrument still have to be initialized? I know you can have global init ftables, but you'd have to render the orchestra from one csd (something that contains n time process that's way faster offline) then load the data into another csd... It would be more like just typing a bunch of csound code in the header, ie a linseg ramping an osc freq or something for 3 seconds that gets sent to ftgen 1 or whatever.

On Fri, Aug 7, 2020, 3:02 PM Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
[...]

If the instr has only init time code, then it runs as fast as it can in a background thread. You can use loops etc to compute the data you need.