[Csnd] Displaying results (disfft, display)

Date2022-01-09 21:18
FromPartev Sarkissian <0000060b2ef1338e-dmarc-request@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE>
Subject[Csnd] Displaying results (disfft, display)

Not getting the graphics displays for,…

dispfft (asig1+asig3), .25, 2048, 0, 1

… for FFT spectral displays and

display asig1, 2, 1

… for time base stop like displays.
Used to work fine, back when I was running Mac Csound
on an earlier Mac. Can’t get it to display like it used to.

What am I overlooking???

Thank you all,
-Partev

FromPartev Sarkissian <0000060b2ef1338e-dmarc-request@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE>
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Displaying results (disfft, display)

Before I forget,….

MacBook Pro, running 10.15.7 Catalina,
2GHz quad core i5,
16 GB full load of RAM.

Thanks,
-Partev

Used to work fine, back when I was running Mac Csound
on an earlier Mac. Can’t get it to display like it used to.

What am I overlooking???

Thank you all,
-Partev

FromOeyvind Brandtsegg
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Displaying results (disfft, display)
Hi Partev,
There is probably just an option missing telling Csound where to put the graphics.
If you use -g, the display will be approximated in ASCII (not very beautiful, but it will tell you that the process is working),
and you can use --displays to have it displayed nicely in a separate window (although that window shows all ftables and you might need to select the right signal from a list).
I seem to recall there was yet another way of displaying the graphics, but this was all I could remember at the moment :-)
Øyvind

søn. 9. jan. 2022 kl. 22:36 skrev Partev Sarkissian <0000060b2ef1338e-dmarc-request@listserv.heanet.ie>:

Before I forget,….

MacBook Pro, running 10.15.7 Catalina,
2GHz quad core i5,
16 GB full load of RAM.

Thanks,
-Partev

Used to work fine, back when I was running Mac Csound
on an earlier Mac. Can’t get it to display like it used to.

What am I overlooking???

Thank you all,
-Partev

FromPartev Sarkissian <0000060b2ef1338e-dmarc-request@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE>
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Displaying results (disfft, display)

There is probably just an option missing telling Csound where to put the graphics. <— Good.
Was wondering about that, nice I’m on your track on that.

If you use -g, <— Tried that,…

<CsoundSynthesizer>
<CsOptions>
-odac
-g                         <— … put it under the -odac.
</CsOptions>
<CsInstruments>

sr = 44100
ksmps = 64
nchnls = 2
0dbfs = 1

… still nothing. It all renders fine, just no display.

… the display will be approximated in ASCII (not very beautiful,
but it will tell you that the process is working),    <— Yes, at this point that would be fine.

…and you can use --displays to have it displayed nicely in a separate window
(although that window shows all ftables and you might need to select the right
signal from a list).  <— Showing the display in a different window is what it used
to do when I was running Mac Csound on my G4 Titanium laptop. Was beautiful
until the laptop crashed.

I do get an initiation error related to an fable,… I’ll check that out.

Thanks Øyvind,… next time you’re in LA, I owe a meal. Say hello to Josh for me,
you will probably be seeing him before I do. I owe him a meal too. :)

Cheers,
-Partev

Used to work fine, back when I was running Mac Csound
on an earlier Mac. Can’t get it to display like it used to.

What am I overlooking???

Thank you all,
-Partev

SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd] Displaying results (disfft, display)
You need a graphical frontend to display graphics, like CsoundQT or Cabbage. In a Mac, on the command-line it's only ASCII, because there is no support for graphics.
Things have a changed a lot from the G4 time (it's about 20 years now). MacOS does not support X Windows very easily, the other solution we had was FLTK, but that is also unworkable now and
it was taken out. The terminal command is strictly non-graphic,

However, it works fine with GUI frontends (there is an example showing it in CsoundQT - Graph Widget).

On 11 Jan 2022, at 03:11, Partev Sarkissian <0000060b2ef1338e-dmarc-request@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE> wrote:

*Warning*

This email originated from outside of Maynooth University's Mail System. Do not reply, click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.

[...]

Terminal command, as in the “-g” I used???
I need to re-familiarize myself with “command line” again. Thanks.

BTW,… I still keep an eye out for typos in JAES for you and others,
whenever get my issues in the mail. Malcolm Hawksford once told me
That they hand copy and enter it, so typos are rare, but possible.

Thanks again,
-Partev

Used to work fine, back when I was running Mac Csound
on an earlier Mac. Can’t get it to display like it used to.

What am I overlooking???

Thank you all,
-Partev

FromPartev Sarkissian <0000060b2ef1338e-dmarc-request@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE>
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Displaying results (disfft, display)
Matt Ingalls had a GUI that made it easy, back when
Mac Csound was out there. Miss that. I'll check that out.
So far nothing in ACII. Hmm,...

Thanks,
-Partev

Used to work fine, back when I was running Mac Csound
on an earlier Mac. Can’t get it to display like it used to.

What am I overlooking???

Thank you all,
-Partev

SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] Re: [Csnd] Displaying results (disfft, display)
CsoundQT and Cabbage are the most used graphical frontends today. They can display graphs.

On 19 Jan 2022, at 02:03, Partev Sarkissian <0000060b2ef1338e-dmarc-request@listserv.heanet.ie> wrote:

*Warning*

This email originated from outside of Maynooth University's Mail System. Do not reply, click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.

Matt Ingalls had a GUI that made it easy, back when
Mac Csound was out there. Miss that. I'll check that out.
So far nothing in ACII. Hmm,...

Thanks,
-Partev

Used to work fine, back when I was running Mac Csound
on an earlier Mac. Can’t get it to display like it used to.

What am I overlooking???

Thank you all,
-Partev

FromPartev Sarkissian <0000060b2ef1338e-dmarc-request@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE>
SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] Re: [Csnd] Displaying results (disfft, display)

Have QT, still no dispfft or time base display. Hmmm,... Thinking face

-PBS

Used to work fine, back when I was running Mac Csound
on an earlier Mac. Can’t get it to display like it used to.

What am I overlooking???

Thank you all,
-Partev

FromPartev Sarkissian <0000060b2ef1338e-dmarc-request@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE>
SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] Re: [Csnd] Displaying results (disfft, display)
Do I need Csound 6.14.x to run GUI and QT 0.9.8.1 on my Mac?

-PBS

Have QT, still no dispfft or time base display. Hmmm,... Thinking face

-PBS

Used to work fine, back when I was running Mac Csound
on an earlier Mac. Can’t get it to display like it used to.

What am I overlooking???

Thank you all,
-Partev

FromPartev Sarkissian <0000060b2ef1338e-dmarc-request@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE>
SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd] Displaying results (disfft, display)

Dear group and Edoardo Mogillansky,

Still can’t seem to get the FFT and time domain displays to run,… what am I not seeing?
Have “-g” in the header,…

<CsoundSynthesizer>
<CsOptions>
-odac
-g
</CsOptions>
<CsInstruments>

sr = 44100
ksmps = 64
nchnls = 2
0dbfs = 1

Followed the manual format in the manual example,…

dispfft 1.25*p4*asigfmo, 2, 4096, 0, 1

display 1.25*p4*asigfmo, .5, 2

Went to the http://csoundqt.github.io/release098.html  page, trying to get it to display like
on that page. Nothing comes up in “Widgets” display.

Hmmm,…

-Partev
dark_star@ieee.org

Used to work fine, back when I was running Mac Csound
on an earlier Mac. Can’t get it to display like it used to.

What am I overlooking???

Thank you all,
-Partev

FromTetsuya Miwa
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Displaying results (disfft, display)
Dear Partev,

I also miss the table and FFT display in Mills Csound for Classic Mac OS…
Frontend like CsoundQt and Cabbage can display table and FFT graphics. The graphic window is not opened automatically and you need to write extra code.
You can check Csound Qt menu: Examples > Widgets > Graph Widget for details.
The code for widgets is hidden in the edit screen of Csound Qt, but saved in csd file.
The code for widgets is dependent on IDEs, so you can’t execute graphics/GUI of CsoundQT on Cabbage and vice versa.
I hope this helps.

Tetsuya Miwa

> 2022/07/11 6:52、Partev Sarkissian <0000060b2ef1338e-dmarc-request@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE>のメール:
>

> Dear group and Edoardo Mogillansky,
>
> Still can’t seem to get the FFT and time domain displays to run,… what am I not seeing?
> Have “-g” in the header,…
>

> -odac
> -g
>

> sr = 44100
> ksmps = 64
> nchnls = 2
> 0dbfs = 1
>

> Followed the manual format in the manual example,…
>
> dispfft 1.25*p4*asigfmo, 2, 4096, 0, 1
>
> display 1.25*p4*asigfmo, .5, 2
>
> Went to the http://csoundqt.github.io/release098.html  page, trying to get it to display like
> on that page. Nothing comes up in “Widgets” display.
>

> Hmmm,…
>

> -Partev
> dark_star@ieee.org

FromEduardo Moguillansky
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Displaying results (disfft, display)

It is unclear to me which example you are using within CsoundQt. But if you open Examples/CsoundQt/GraphWidget you should see different graphs displaying spectrograms, waveforms, etc.

The only option which has any effect in this regard is "-d", which disables graphs altogether. The "-g" option is irrelevant in this context.

cheers,

Eduardo