[Csnd] Simplistic approximation of air absorption (cutoff frequency)

Date2021-09-08 17:39
From"Jeanette C."
Subject[Csnd] Simplistic approximation of air absorption (cutoff frequency)
Hey hey,
I am looking at acoustics and the effect of air absorption. Many sources state
that it is only a perceptual factor in big spaces - or over long distances),
but I haven't found a simple approximation for calculating a lowpass filter
cutoff frequency.

Does anyone perhaps have a good approximation or knows a source? I'd be happy
with a calculation only based on distance, assuming some default pressure and
humidity.

Best wishes and TIA,

Jeanette

  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c

I saw your smile
Stay with me a while <3
(Britney Spears)

FromPartev Sarkissian <0000060b2ef1338e-dmarc-request@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE>
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Simplistic approximation of air absorption (cutoff frequency)

As I recall speed of sound is 1,130 ft/s, for 25° C, at 14.7 psi at
sea level (1966 standard).

Don't know helpful that is, but it may be a place to start.

https://www.google.com/search?q=air+absorption&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1

https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~jos/pasp/Air_Absorption.html
>From Julius Smith's book-3 "Physical Audio Signal Processing".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reynolds_number
A bit more esoteric. Used this a lot during my aeronautical engineer study days,
to look at laminar to turbulent air flow over a surface (wing and body) of an aircraft.

Hope one or more of these helps.

-PBS

I am looking at acoustics and the effect of air absorption. Many sources state
that it is only a perceptual factor in big spaces - or over long distances),
but I haven't found a simple approximation for calculating a lowpass filter
cutoff frequency.

Does anyone perhaps have a good approximation or knows a source? I'd be happy
with a calculation only based on distance, assuming some default pressure and
humidity.

Best wishes and TIA,

Jeanette

I saw your smile
Stay with me a while <3
(Britney Spears)

From"Dr. Richard Boulanger"
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Simplistic approximation of air absorption (cutoff frequency)
Wow PBS,

I am smiling from ear to ear as I read your advice and email.
The Csound Community never ceases to amaze and inspire me.
It is why I am so dedicated to sharing Csound with everyone - I want them to know and meet all of you!

Have a great day.  And thank you for making mine!

- Dr.B

Dr. Richard Boulanger

Professor

Electronic Production and Design

Berklee College of Music

Professional Writing & Technology Division

On Sun, Sep 12, 2021 at 3:34 PM Partev Sarkissian <0000060b2ef1338e-dmarc-request@listserv.heanet.ie> wrote:

As I recall speed of sound is 1,130 ft/s, for 25° C, at 14.7 psi at
sea level (1966 standard).

Don't know helpful that is, but it may be a place to start.

https://www.google.com/search?q=air+absorption&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1

https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~jos/pasp/Air_Absorption.html
>From Julius Smith's book-3 "Physical Audio Signal Processing".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reynolds_number
A bit more esoteric. Used this a lot during my aeronautical engineer study days,
to look at laminar to turbulent air flow over a surface (wing and body) of an aircraft.

Hope one or more of these helps.

-PBS

I am looking at acoustics and the effect of air absorption. Many sources state
that it is only a perceptual factor in big spaces - or over long distances),
but I haven't found a simple approximation for calculating a lowpass filter
cutoff frequency.

Does anyone perhaps have a good approximation or knows a source? I'd be happy
with a calculation only based on distance, assuming some default pressure and
humidity.

Best wishes and TIA,

Jeanette

I saw your smile
Stay with me a while <3
(Britney Spears)

SubjectRe: [Csnd] Simplistic approximation of air absorption (cutoff frequency)
I have used this approximation in my spatialization, borrowed mostly from Jan Jacob Hoffmann. The idea is to filter more of the higher frequencies with greater distance.

; Zero distance blows this up.
opcode LowpassByDistance, a, ak
asignal, kdistance xin
afiltered butterlp asignal, 22000 * sqrt(1.0 / kdistance) + .000001
abalanced balance afiltered, asignal
xout abalanced
endop

Regards,

On Sun, Sep 12, 2021 at 6:14 PM Dr. Richard Boulanger <rboulanger@berklee.edu> wrote:
Wow PBS,

I am smiling from ear to ear as I read your advice and email.
The Csound Community never ceases to amaze and inspire me.
It is why I am so dedicated to sharing Csound with everyone - I want them to know and meet all of you!

Have a great day.  And thank you for making mine!

- Dr.B

Dr. Richard Boulanger

Professor

Electronic Production and Design

Berklee College of Music

Professional Writing & Technology Division

On Sun, Sep 12, 2021 at 3:34 PM Partev Sarkissian <0000060b2ef1338e-dmarc-request@listserv.heanet.ie> wrote:

As I recall speed of sound is 1,130 ft/s, for 25° C, at 14.7 psi at
sea level (1966 standard).

Don't know helpful that is, but it may be a place to start.

https://www.google.com/search?q=air+absorption&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1

https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~jos/pasp/Air_Absorption.html
>From Julius Smith's book-3 "Physical Audio Signal Processing".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reynolds_number
A bit more esoteric. Used this a lot during my aeronautical engineer study days,
to look at laminar to turbulent air flow over a surface (wing and body) of an aircraft.

Hope one or more of these helps.

-PBS

I am looking at acoustics and the effect of air absorption. Many sources state
that it is only a perceptual factor in big spaces - or over long distances),
but I haven't found a simple approximation for calculating a lowpass filter
cutoff frequency.

Does anyone perhaps have a good approximation or knows a source? I'd be happy
with a calculation only based on distance, assuming some default pressure and
humidity.

Best wishes and TIA,

Jeanette

I saw your smile
Stay with me a while <3
(Britney Spears)

From"Jeanette C."
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Simplistic approximation of air absorption (cutoff frequency)
Thanks Partev! I was aware of most of those, especially the Julius Smith book,
which I am currently reading with great joy. These materials are very
detailed, but they required more DSP knowledge than I have, by assuming that
people can write a filter matching a certain transfer function. :( It's still
fascinating.

Best wishes,

Jeanette

Sep 12 2021, Partev Sarkissian has written:

> As I recall speed of sound is 1,130 ft/s, for 25° C, at 14.7 psi at
> sea level (1966 standard).
>
> Don't know helpful that is, but it may be a place to start.
>
> https://www.google.com/search?q=air+absorption&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1
>
> https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~jos/pasp/Air_Absorption.html
> From Julius Smith's book-3 "Physical Audio Signal Processing".
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reynolds_number
> A bit more esoteric. Used this a lot during my aeronautical engineer study days,
> to look at laminar to turbulent air flow over a surface (wing and body) of an aircraft.
>
> Hope one or more of these helps.
>

> -PBS

When you need someone, you just turn around and I will be there <3
(Britney Spears)

From"Jeanette C."
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Simplistic approximation of air absorption (cutoff frequency)
Thanks Michael, this is exactly what I was looking for! This will get me
going. Nice UDO.

Best wishes,

Jeanette

Sep 13 2021, Michael Gogins has written:

> I have used this approximation in my spatialization, borrowed mostly from
> Jan Jacob Hoffmann. The idea is to filter more of the higher frequencies
> with greater distance.
>
> ; Zero distance blows this up.
> opcode LowpassByDistance, a, ak
> asignal, kdistance xin
> afiltered butterlp asignal, 22000 * sqrt(1.0 / kdistance) + .000001
> abalanced balance afiltered, asignal
> xout abalanced
> endop
>
> Regards,
> Mike

> Michael Gogins
> Irreducible Productions
> http://michaelgogins.tumblr.com
> Michael dot Gogins at gmail dot com
>

> On Sun, Sep 12, 2021 at 6:14 PM Dr. Richard Boulanger <
> rboulanger@berklee.edu> wrote:
>
>> Wow PBS,
>>
>> I am smiling from ear to ear as I read your advice and email.
>> The Csound Community never ceases to amaze and inspire me.
>> It is why I am so dedicated to sharing Csound with everyone - I want them
>> to know and meet all of you!
>>
>> Have a great day.  And thank you for making mine!
>>
>> *- Dr.B*
>>

>> *Dr. Richard Boulanger*
>>
>> Professor
>>
>> Electronic Production and Design
>>
>> *Berklee College of Music*
>>
>> Professional Writing & Technology Division
>>

>> On Sun, Sep 12, 2021 at 3:34 PM Partev Sarkissian <
>> 0000060b2ef1338e-dmarc-request@listserv.heanet.ie> wrote:
>>

>>> As I recall speed of sound is 1,130 ft/s, for 25° C, at 14.7 psi at
>>> sea level (1966 standard).
>>>
>>> Don't know helpful that is, but it may be a place to start.
>>>

>>> https://www.google.com/search?q=air+absorption&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1
>>>

>>> https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~jos/pasp/Air_Absorption.html
>>> From Julius Smith's book-3 "Physical Audio Signal Processing".
>>>
>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reynolds_number
>>> A bit more esoteric. Used this a lot during my aeronautical engineer
>>> study days,
>>> to look at laminar to turbulent air flow over a surface (wing and body)
>>> of an aircraft.
>>>
>>> Hope one or more of these helps.
>>>

>>> -PBS

Anytime.
Been a while since we last crossed paths at NAMM in Anaheim at
Big Fish Synth booth I think. Always like it when they have that Mellotron open.

And there's always my FB and web page. Already met Oyvend at AES LA, 2016
I think. We have a mutual friend and colleague at C4DM, Josh Reiss.

Makes my day that I made your day. Thanks.
Til the next NAMM.

Cheers,
-Partev

I am smiling from ear to ear as I read your advice and email.
The Csound Community never ceases to amaze and inspire me.
It is why I am so dedicated to sharing Csound with everyone - I want them to know and meet all of you!

Have a great day.  And thank you for making mine!

- Dr.B

Dr. Richard Boulanger
Professor
Electronic Production and Design
Berklee College of Music
Professional Writing & Technology Division

On Sun, Sep 12, 2021 at 3:34 PM Partev Sarkissian <0000060b2ef1338e-dmarc-request@listserv.heanet.ie> wrote:

As I recall speed of sound is 1,130 ft/s, for 25° C, at 14.7 psi at
sea level (1966 standard).

Don't know how helpful that is, but it may be a place to start.

https://www.google.com/search?q=air+absorption&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1

https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~jos/pasp/Air_Absorption.html
>From Julius Smith's book-3 "Physical Audio Signal Processing".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reynolds_number
A bit more esoteric. Used this a lot during my aeronautical engineer study days,
to look at laminar to turbulent air flow over a surface (wing and body) of an aircraft.

Hope one or more of these helps.

-PBS

I am looking at acoustics and the effect of air absorption. Many sources state
that it is only a perceptual factor in big spaces - or over long distances),
but I haven't found a simple approximation for calculating a lowpass filter
cutoff frequency.

Does anyone perhaps have a good approximation or knows a source? I'd be happy
with a calculation only based on distance, assuming some default pressure and
humidity.

Best wishes and TIA,

Jeanette

I saw your smile
Stay with me a while <3
(Britney Spears)

FromPartev Sarkissian <0000060b2ef1338e-dmarc-request@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE>
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Simplistic approximation of air absorption (cutoff frequency)

Modeling has come a long way since the 1970's from back when it was
called 'numerical modeling', used for stick figure simulations, in a 8-bit
CPU world. Too slow for the DSP of today with Ghz clocks and 64+ bit
math processing. Math translation is easier too, so  math modeling is
more straight forward. Some of it is a bit new to me too.

Can't get enough of it.

-PBS

Thanks Partev! I was aware of most of those, especially the Julius Smith book,
which I am currently reading with great joy. These materials are very
detailed, but they required more DSP knowledge than I have, by assuming that
people can write a filter matching a certain transfer function. :( It's still
fascinating.

Best wishes,

Jeanette

Sep 12 2021, Partev Sarkissian has written:

> As I recall speed of sound is 1,130 ft/s, for 25° C, at 14.7 psi at
> sea level (1966 standard).
>
> Don't know helpful that is, but it may be a place to start.
>
> https://www.google.com/search?q=air+absorption&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1
>
> https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~jos/pasp/Air_Absorption.html
> From Julius Smith's book-3 "Physical Audio Signal Processing".
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reynolds_number
> A bit more esoteric. Used this a lot during my aeronautical engineer study days,
> to look at laminar to turbulent air flow over a surface (wing and body) of an aircraft.
>
> Hope one or more of these helps.
>

> -PBS

Very nice.
dB drops off by inverse square of the the radial distance from the source?

-PBS

Thanks Michael, this is exactly what I was looking for! This will get me
going. Nice UDO.

Best wishes,

Jeanette

Sep 13 2021, Michael Gogins has written:

> I have used this approximation in my spatialization, borrowed mostly from
> Jan Jacob Hoffmann. The idea is to filter more of the higher frequencies
> with greater distance.
>
> ; Zero distance blows this up.
> opcode LowpassByDistance, a, ak
> asignal, kdistance xin
> afiltered butterlp asignal, 22000 * sqrt(1.0 / kdistance) + .000001
> abalanced balance afiltered, asignal
> xout abalanced
> endop
>
> Regards,
> Mike

> Michael Gogins
> Irreducible Productions
> http://michaelgogins.tumblr.com
> Michael dot Gogins at gmail dot com
>

> On Sun, Sep 12, 2021 at 6:14 PM Dr. Richard Boulanger <
> rboulanger@berklee.edu> wrote:
>
>> Wow PBS,
>>
>> I am smiling from ear to ear as I read your advice and email.
>> The Csound Community never ceases to amaze and inspire me.
>> It is why I am so dedicated to sharing Csound with everyone - I want them
>> to know and meet all of you!
>>
>> Have a great day.  And thank you for making mine!
>>
>> *- Dr.B*
>>

>> *Dr. Richard Boulanger*
>>
>> Professor
>>
>> Electronic Production and Design
>>
>> *Berklee College of Music*
>>
>> Professional Writing & Technology Division
>>

>> On Sun, Sep 12, 2021 at 3:34 PM Partev Sarkissian <
>> 0000060b2ef1338e-dmarc-request@listserv.heanet.ie> wrote:
>>

>>> As I recall speed of sound is 1,130 ft/s, for 25° C, at 14.7 psi at
>>> sea level (1966 standard).
>>>
>>> Don't know helpful that is, but it may be a place to start.
>>>

>>> https://www.google.com/search?q=air+absorption&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1
>>>

>>> https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~jos/pasp/Air_Absorption.html
>>> From Julius Smith's book-3 "Physical Audio Signal Processing".
>>>
>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reynolds_number
>>> A bit more esoteric. Used this a lot during my aeronautical engineer
>>> study days,
>>> to look at laminar to turbulent air flow over a surface (wing and body)
>>> of an aircraft.
>>>
>>> Hope one or more of these helps.
>>>

>>> -PBS

No, this part drops the highpass cutoff frequency by the inverse square of the radial distance from the source.

Best,

On Mon, Sep 13, 2021 at 3:01 PM Partev Sarkissian <0000060b2ef1338e-dmarc-request@listserv.heanet.ie> wrote:

Very nice.
dB drops off by inverse square of the the radial distance from the source?

-PBS

Thanks Michael, this is exactly what I was looking for! This will get me
going. Nice UDO.

Best wishes,

Jeanette

Sep 13 2021, Michael Gogins has written:

> I have used this approximation in my spatialization, borrowed mostly from
> Jan Jacob Hoffmann. The idea is to filter more of the higher frequencies
> with greater distance.
>
> ; Zero distance blows this up.
> opcode LowpassByDistance, a, ak
> asignal, kdistance xin
> afiltered butterlp asignal, 22000 * sqrt(1.0 / kdistance) + .000001
> abalanced balance afiltered, asignal
> xout abalanced
> endop
>
> Regards,
> Mike

> Michael Gogins
> Irreducible Productions
> http://michaelgogins.tumblr.com
> Michael dot Gogins at gmail dot com
>

> On Sun, Sep 12, 2021 at 6:14 PM Dr. Richard Boulanger <
> rboulanger@berklee.edu> wrote:
>
>> Wow PBS,
>>
>> I am smiling from ear to ear as I read your advice and email.
>> The Csound Community never ceases to amaze and inspire me.
>> It is why I am so dedicated to sharing Csound with everyone - I want them
>> to know and meet all of you!
>>
>> Have a great day.  And thank you for making mine!
>>
>> *- Dr.B*
>>

>> *Dr. Richard Boulanger*
>>
>> Professor
>>
>> Electronic Production and Design
>>
>> *Berklee College of Music*
>>
>> Professional Writing & Technology Division
>>

>> On Sun, Sep 12, 2021 at 3:34 PM Partev Sarkissian <
>> 0000060b2ef1338e-dmarc-request@listserv.heanet.ie> wrote:
>>

>>> As I recall speed of sound is 1,130 ft/s, for 25° C, at 14.7 psi at
>>> sea level (1966 standard).
>>>
>>> Don't know helpful that is, but it may be a place to start.
>>>

>>> https://www.google.com/search?q=air+absorption&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1
>>>

>>> https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~jos/pasp/Air_Absorption.html
>>> From Julius Smith's book-3 "Physical Audio Signal Processing".
>>>
>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reynolds_number
>>> A bit more esoteric. Used this a lot during my aeronautical engineer
>>> study days,
>>> to look at laminar to turbulent air flow over a surface (wing and body)
>>> of an aircraft.
>>>
>>> Hope one or more of these helps.
>>>

>>> -PBS

And leaving with a more real world low pass response.
Butterworth curve, nice.

-PBS

Thanks Michael, this is exactly what I was looking for! This will get me
going. Nice UDO.

Best wishes,

Jeanette

Sep 13 2021, Michael Gogins has written:

> I have used this approximation in my spatialization, borrowed mostly from
> Jan Jacob Hoffmann. The idea is to filter more of the higher frequencies
> with greater distance.
>
> ; Zero distance blows this up.
> opcode LowpassByDistance, a, ak
> asignal, kdistance xin
> afiltered butterlp asignal, 22000 * sqrt(1.0 / kdistance) + .000001
> abalanced balance afiltered, asignal
> xout abalanced
> endop
>
> Regards,
> Mike

> Michael Gogins
> Irreducible Productions
> http://michaelgogins.tumblr.com
> Michael dot Gogins at gmail dot com
>

> On Sun, Sep 12, 2021 at 6:14 PM Dr. Richard Boulanger <
> rboulanger@berklee.edu> wrote:
>
>> Wow PBS,
>>
>> I am smiling from ear to ear as I read your advice and email.
>> The Csound Community never ceases to amaze and inspire me.
>> It is why I am so dedicated to sharing Csound with everyone - I want them
>> to know and meet all of you!
>>
>> Have a great day.  And thank you for making mine!
>>
>> *- Dr.B*
>>

>> *Dr. Richard Boulanger*
>>
>> Professor
>>
>> Electronic Production and Design
>>
>> *Berklee College of Music*
>>
>> Professional Writing & Technology Division
>>

>> On Sun, Sep 12, 2021 at 3:34 PM Partev Sarkissian <
>> 0000060b2ef1338e-dmarc-request@listserv.heanet.ie> wrote:
>>

>>> As I recall speed of sound is 1,130 ft/s, for 25° C, at 14.7 psi at
>>> sea level (1966 standard).
>>>
>>> Don't know helpful that is, but it may be a place to start.
>>>

>>> https://www.google.com/search?q=air+absorption&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1
>>>

>>> https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~jos/pasp/Air_Absorption.html
>>> From Julius Smith's book-3 "Physical Audio Signal Processing".
>>>
>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reynolds_number
>>> A bit more esoteric. Used this a lot during my aeronautical engineer
>>> study days,
>>> to look at laminar to turbulent air flow over a surface (wing and body)
>>> of an aircraft.
>>>
>>> Hope one or more of these helps.
>>>

>>> -PBS

FromAnders Genell
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Simplistic approximation of air absorption (cutoff frequency)
Kicking some life in this old conversation, I just wanted to post a link to an article discussing calculation of air absorption, where there are some references to filter design that fairly well approximates the air absorption effect.
Hopefully it could be useful to someone.

Regards,
Anders

On Mon, Sep 13, 2021 at 11:01 PM Partev Sarkissian <0000060b2ef1338e-dmarc-request@listserv.heanet.ie> wrote:

And leaving with a more real world low pass response.
Butterworth curve, nice.

-PBS

Thanks Michael, this is exactly what I was looking for! This will get me
going. Nice UDO.

Best wishes,

Jeanette

Sep 13 2021, Michael Gogins has written:

> I have used this approximation in my spatialization, borrowed mostly from
> Jan Jacob Hoffmann. The idea is to filter more of the higher frequencies
> with greater distance.
>
> ; Zero distance blows this up.
> opcode LowpassByDistance, a, ak
> asignal, kdistance xin
> afiltered butterlp asignal, 22000 * sqrt(1.0 / kdistance) + .000001
> abalanced balance afiltered, asignal
> xout abalanced
> endop
>
> Regards,
> Mike

> Michael Gogins
> Irreducible Productions
> http://michaelgogins.tumblr.com
> Michael dot Gogins at gmail dot com
>

> On Sun, Sep 12, 2021 at 6:14 PM Dr. Richard Boulanger <
> rboulanger@berklee.edu> wrote:
>
>> Wow PBS,
>>
>> I am smiling from ear to ear as I read your advice and email.
>> The Csound Community never ceases to amaze and inspire me.
>> It is why I am so dedicated to sharing Csound with everyone - I want them
>> to know and meet all of you!
>>
>> Have a great day.  And thank you for making mine!
>>
>> *- Dr.B*
>>

>> *Dr. Richard Boulanger*
>>
>> Professor
>>
>> Electronic Production and Design
>>
>> *Berklee College of Music*
>>
>> Professional Writing & Technology Division
>>

>> On Sun, Sep 12, 2021 at 3:34 PM Partev Sarkissian <
>> 0000060b2ef1338e-dmarc-request@listserv.heanet.ie> wrote:
>>

>>> As I recall speed of sound is 1,130 ft/s, for 25° C, at 14.7 psi at
>>> sea level (1966 standard).
>>>
>>> Don't know helpful that is, but it may be a place to start.
>>>

>>> https://www.google.com/search?q=air+absorption&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1
>>>

>>> https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~jos/pasp/Air_Absorption.html
>>> From Julius Smith's book-3 "Physical Audio Signal Processing".
>>>
>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reynolds_number
>>> A bit more esoteric. Used this a lot during my aeronautical engineer
>>> study days,
>>> to look at laminar to turbulent air flow over a surface (wing and body)
>>> of an aircraft.
>>>
>>> Hope one or more of these helps.
>>>

>>> -PBS

Thanks.

On Thu, Sep 23, 2021 at 10:58 AM Anders Genell <anders.genell@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]

>> Professor
>>
>> Electronic Production and Design
>>
>> *Berklee College of Music*
>>
>> Professional Writing & Technology Division
>>

>> On Sun, Sep 12, 2021 at 3:34 PM Partev Sarkissian <
>> 0000060b2ef1338e-dmarc-request@listserv.heanet.ie> wrote:
>>

>>> As I recall speed of sound is 1,130 ft/s, for 25° C, at 14.7 psi at
>>> sea level (1966 standard).
>>>
>>> Don't know helpful that is, but it may be a place to start.
>>>

>>> https://www.google.com/search?q=air+absorption&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1
>>>

>>> https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~jos/pasp/Air_Absorption.html
>>> From Julius Smith's book-3 "Physical Audio Signal Processing".
>>>
>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reynolds_number
>>> A bit more esoteric. Used this a lot during my aeronautical engineer
>>> study days,
>>> to look at laminar to turbulent air flow over a surface (wing and body)

Very cool. Seen a paper like this one before. I think there's this info
in a vest pocket reference book I have. Will have to check that when
I get home. Very good.

-PBS