[Csnd] code share: ctcsound and PySimpleGUI

Subject[Csnd] code share: ctcsound and PySimpleGUI
i have added a new cookbook, showing some examples how to create a GUI
in both directions (GUI-> Csound and Csound->GUI) with PySimpleGUI and
ctcsound:
https://github.com/csound/ctcsound/blob/master/cookbook/11-GUI-with-PySimpleGUI.ipynb

thanks to françois for reading and correcting!

FromRichard van Bemmelen
SubjectRe: [Csnd] code share: ctcsound and PySimpleGUI
Cool!

Op vr 31 jul. 2020 om 16:03 schreef joachim heintz <jh@joachimheintz.de>:
i have added a new cookbook, showing some examples how to create a GUI
in both directions (GUI-> Csound and Csound->GUI) with PySimpleGUI and
ctcsound:
https://github.com/csound/ctcsound/blob/master/cookbook/11-GUI-with-PySimpleGUI.ipynb

thanks to françois for reading and correcting!

FromForrest Curo
SubjectRe: [Csnd] code share: ctcsound and PySimpleGUI
AttachmentsScreenshot from 2020-07-31 08-51-32.png
How well does this compare with using pure data as a GUI?
Screenshot from 2020-07-31 08-51-32.png
(The advantage of this is that it's easy to mouse (or touchscreen when that's available) without needing to move hands too long away from the midi keyboard. [Also I have problems using  Jack & midi with csound lately, which pd bypasses.])

On Fri, Jul 31, 2020 at 7:27 AM Richard van Bemmelen <zappfinger@gmail.com> wrote:
Cool!

Op vr 31 jul. 2020 om 16:03 schreef joachim heintz <jh@joachimheintz.de>:
i have added a new cookbook, showing some examples how to create a GUI
in both directions (GUI-> Csound and Csound->GUI) with PySimpleGUI and
ctcsound:
https://github.com/csound/ctcsound/blob/master/cookbook/11-GUI-with-PySimpleGUI.ipynb

thanks to françois for reading and correcting!

FromTetsuya Miwa
SubjectRe: [Csnd] code share: ctcsound and PySimpleGUI
Hello Joachim,

Thank you for sharing the example of GUI in Python&Csound. This is very helpful for the beginner Python programmer like me.
Just one note, I got an error when I executed the example on JupyterLAB:

File "/Users/tetsuya/.pyenv/versions/anaconda3-2019.10/envs/dev/lib/python3.7/site-packages/csoundmagics.py", line 42
    ip = get_ipython()
                      ^
TabError: inconsistent use of tabs and spaces in indentation

The error was solved after replacing Tab with space in csoundmagics.py.

Best regards,
Tetsuya Miwa

> 2020/07/31 23:03、joachim heintz のメール:
>
> i have added a new cookbook, showing some examples how to create a GUI in both directions (GUI-> Csound and Csound->GUI) with PySimpleGUI and ctcsound:
> https://github.com/csound/ctcsound/blob/master/cookbook/11-GUI-with-PySimpleGUI.ipynb
>
> thanks to françois for reading and correcting!
>
> 	joachim

>       https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

SubjectRe: [Csnd] code share: ctcsound and PySimpleGUI
hello tetsuya -

thanks for your feedback, and the report about the csoundmagics.py
issue.  i will have a look into the source file and fix it, if the
reason is there.

cheers -
	joachim

On 01/08/2020 15:29, Tetsuya Miwa wrote:
> Hello Joachim,
>
> Thank you for sharing the example of GUI in Python&Csound. This is very helpful for the beginner Python programmer like me.
> Just one note, I got an error when I executed the example on JupyterLAB:
>
> File "/Users/tetsuya/.pyenv/versions/anaconda3-2019.10/envs/dev/lib/python3.7/site-packages/csoundmagics.py", line 42
>      ip = get_ipython()
>                        ^
> TabError: inconsistent use of tabs and spaces in indentation
>
> The error was solved after replacing Tab with space in csoundmagics.py.
>
> Best regards,
> Tetsuya Miwa
>
>> 2020/07/31 23:03、joachim heintz のメール:
>>
>> i have added a new cookbook, showing some examples how to create a GUI in both directions (GUI-> Csound and Csound->GUI) with PySimpleGUI and ctcsound:
>> https://github.com/csound/ctcsound/blob/master/cookbook/11-GUI-with-PySimpleGUI.ipynb
>>
>> thanks to françois for reading and correcting!
>>
>> 	joachim
>>
>> Csound mailing list
>> Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>> Send bugs reports to
>>        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

>          https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

FromBernt Isak Wærstad
SubjectRe: [Csnd] code share: ctcsound and PySimpleGUI
I wasnt aware of this cookbook - very nice!

I have some issues with the GUI example though - the first simple example crashes the whole window server or something like that. I just get sent to the login window and when I log back in everything is restarting as after a full crash. Any ideas what can be the cause of this? Im on OS X 10.14.6 with Python 3.7.4

On Sat, 1 Aug 2020 at 15:40, joachim heintz <jh@joachimheintz.de> wrote:
hello tetsuya -

thanks for your feedback, and the report about the csoundmagics.py
issue.  i will have a look into the source file and fix it, if the
reason is there.

cheers -
        joachim

On 01/08/2020 15:29, Tetsuya Miwa wrote:
> Hello Joachim,
>
> Thank you for sharing the example of GUI in Python&Csound. This is very helpful for the beginner Python programmer like me.
> Just one note, I got an error when I executed the example on JupyterLAB:
>
> File "/Users/tetsuya/.pyenv/versions/anaconda3-2019.10/envs/dev/lib/python3.7/site-packages/csoundmagics.py", line 42
>      ip = get_ipython()
>                        ^
> TabError: inconsistent use of tabs and spaces in indentation
>
> The error was solved after replacing Tab with space in csoundmagics.py.
>
> Best regards,
> Tetsuya Miwa
>
>> 2020/07/31 23:03、joachim heintz <jh@joachimheintz.de>のメール:
>>
>> i have added a new cookbook, showing some examples how to create a GUI in both directions (GUI-> Csound and Csound->GUI) with PySimpleGUI and ctcsound:
>> https://github.com/csound/ctcsound/blob/master/cookbook/11-GUI-with-PySimpleGUI.ipynb
>>
>> thanks to françois for reading and correcting!
>>
>>      joachim
>>
>> Csound mailing list
>> Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>> Send bugs reports to
>>        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

>          https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

Mvh.

Bernt Isak Wærstad

FromTetsuya Miwa
SubjectRe: [Csnd] code share: ctcsound and PySimpleGUI
Hello Bernt,

What kind of environment do you use to run the new GUI example?
I can run all the sample codes in 11-GUI-with-PySimpleGUI.ipynb on JupyterLab 1.1.4 with following configuration.

Mac OS 10.15.6
Python 3.7.6 (installed anaconda3-2019.10 distribution)
PySimpleGUI 4.26.0 (installed through pip because it is not included in Anaconda distribution)
Csound version 6.14 (installed with csound6.14.0-MacOS_x86_64.dmg)

If you are using Anaconda, you need to copy the ctcsound.py into the site-packages folder.
https://github.com/csound/ctcsound/blob/master/README.md

CsoundMagics should also be installed
https://github.com/csound/ctcsound/blob/master/cookbook/05-installingCsoundmagics.ipynb

Tetsuya Miwa

> 2020/08/02 0:30、Bernt Isak Wærstad のメール:
>
> I wasnt aware of this cookbook - very nice!
>
> I have some issues with the GUI example though - the first simple example crashes the whole window server or something like that. I just get sent to the login window and when I log back in everything is restarting as after a full crash. Any ideas what can be the cause of this? Im on OS X 10.14.6 with Python 3.7.4
>
> On Sat, 1 Aug 2020 at 15:40, joachim heintz  wrote:
> hello tetsuya -
>
> thanks for your feedback, and the report about the csoundmagics.py
> issue.  i will have a look into the source file and fix it, if the
> reason is there.
>
> cheers -
>         joachim
>

> On 01/08/2020 15:29, Tetsuya Miwa wrote:
> > Hello Joachim,
> >
> > Thank you for sharing the example of GUI in Python&Csound. This is very helpful for the beginner Python programmer like me.
> > Just one note, I got an error when I executed the example on JupyterLAB:
> >
> > File "/Users/tetsuya/.pyenv/versions/anaconda3-2019.10/envs/dev/lib/python3.7/site-packages/csoundmagics.py", line 42
> >      ip = get_ipython()
> >                        ^
> > TabError: inconsistent use of tabs and spaces in indentation
> >
> > The error was solved after replacing Tab with space in csoundmagics.py.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Tetsuya Miwa
> >
> >> 2020/07/31 23:03、joachim heintz のメール:
> >>
> >> i have added a new cookbook, showing some examples how to create a GUI in both directions (GUI-> Csound and Csound->GUI) with PySimpleGUI and ctcsound:
> >> https://github.com/csound/ctcsound/blob/master/cookbook/11-GUI-with-PySimpleGUI.ipynb
> >>
> >> thanks to françois for reading and correcting!
> >>
> >>      joachim
> >>
> >> Csound mailing list
> >> Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
> >> https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
> >> Send bugs reports to
> >>        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
> >> Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here
> >
> > Csound mailing list
> > Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
> > https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
> > Send bugs reports to
> >          https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
> > Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

> --
> Mvh.
>
> Bernt Isak Wærstad

FromBernt Isak Wærstad
SubjectRe: [Csnd] code share: ctcsound and PySimpleGUI
Hi Tetsuya!

This example crashes before csound is used or even imported so its only related to PySimpleGUI. It seems its an issue with tkTinker on OS X 10.14 which hasnt been fixed. I tried using a Qt version instead as suggested which prevented the whole system from crashing, but still halts the kernel. Maybe for now it would be good to put a warning in the notebook saying the example is not compatible with OS X 10.14?

This is the suggested fix I tried:

Installation instructions
pip install PySide2
pip install PySimpleGUIQt

while import use
import PySimpleGUIQt as sg

On Tue, 4 Aug 2020 at 17:14, Tetsuya Miwa <izc07036@nifty.com> wrote:
> [...]

> >> i have added a new cookbook, showing some examples how to create a GUI in both directions (GUI-> Csound and Csound->GUI) with PySimpleGUI and ctcsound:
> >> https://github.com/csound/ctcsound/blob/master/cookbook/11-GUI-with-PySimpleGUI.ipynb
> >>
> >> thanks to françois for reading and correcting!
> >>
> >>      joachim
> >>
> >> Csound mailing list
> >> Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
> >> https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
> >> Send bugs reports to
> >>        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
> >> Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here
> >
> > Csound mailing list
> > Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
> > https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
> > Send bugs reports to
> >          https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
> > Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

Mvh.

Bernt Isak Wærstad

FromTetsuya Miwa
SubjectRe: [Csnd] code share: ctcsound and PySimpleGUI
Hi Bernt,

The version of tk I use on Anaconda is 8.6.8. I’m not sure if this version is available on 10.14, but you can try it.
If you are using Python which is packaged in MacOS, you can create an another Python environment by installing pyenv&Anaconda.
It's now the standard way to use Python on MacOS without interfering the Python packaged in MacOS.
Hope this helps.

Regards,

Tetsuya Miwa