[Csnd] MIDI input error message

Date2020-05-01 08:46
From"Jeanette C."
Subject[Csnd] MIDI input error message
Hey hey,
this is not related to any of the MIDI input opcodes. The simplest way to
provoke this is to have a valid CSD skeleton and in the options section
something like:
-o dac -d --messagelevel=2 -Ma

Then I move an NRPN knob on a connected MIDI keyboard and see this:
unknown drum param nos, msb 0 lsb some_value

some_value depends on the actual knob tht is moved.

Does anyone know why this happens and if something should be done about it
inside an orchestra?

Best wishes and TIA,

Jeanette

  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c

We still move to a rhythm just like this
We still dream of sharing our first kiss <3
(Britney Spears)

Fromjohn
SubjectRe: [Csnd] MIDI input error message
I am ignorant about MIDI ut that message omes from InOut/midirecv.c

           if (msb < 24 || msb == 25 || msb == 27 ||
               msb > 31 || lsb < 25  || lsb > 87)
             csound->Message(csound,
                             Str("unknown drum param nos, msb %d lsb %d\n"),
                             (int) msb, (int) lsb);
           else {

Someone must recognise the numbers.....
On Fri, 1 May 2020, Jeanette C. wrote:

> Hey hey,
> this is not related to any of the MIDI input opcodes. The simplest way to
> provoke this is to have a valid CSD skeleton and in the options section
> something like:
> -o dac -d --messagelevel=2 -Ma
>
> Then I move an NRPN knob on a connected MIDI keyboard and see this:
> unknown drum param nos, msb 0 lsb some_value
>
> some_value depends on the actual knob tht is moved.
>
> Does anyone know why this happens and if something should be done about it
> inside an orchestra?
>
> Best wishes and TIA,
>
> Jeanette
>
> --
> * Website: http://juliencoder.de - for summer is a state of sound
> * Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMS4rfGrTwz8W7jhC1Jnv7g
> * SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/jeanette_c
> * Twitter: https://twitter.com/jeanette_c_s
> * Audiobombs: https://www.audiobombs.com/users/jeanette_c
> * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c
>
> We still move to a rhythm just like this
> We still dream of sharing our first kiss <3
> (Britney Spears)

>       https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

FromPete Goodeve
SubjectRe: [Csnd] MIDI input error message
AttachmentsNone

Date2020-05-01 23:10
FromJustin Smith
SubjectRe: [Csnd] MIDI input error message
agreed that this message is an annoyance - there are many valid usages
of NRPN, so complaining that they don't match one vendor's scheme
seems a bit much

On Fri, May 1, 2020 at 2:15 PM Pete Goodeve  wrote:

> I ran into this effect some time back, but I have no recall of exactly
> where!  I didn't bother about it much at the time because it didn't
> really affect me.
>
> That code expressly handles Roland GS "Drum Parameters".
> I don't really think it should be there at all, as, by definition,
> NRPNs are "Non-Registered", and could be used by any MIDI
> device for their own purpose.
>
> I guess it doesn't do much harm, aside from the annoying message,
> as midiin still picks up thge values if you need them.
>
>         -- Pete --
>
> On Fri, May 01, 2020 at 07:39:17PM +0100, john wrote:
> > I am ignorant about MIDI ut that message omes from InOut/midirecv.c
> >
> >           if (msb < 24 || msb == 25 || msb == 27 ||
> >               msb > 31 || lsb < 25  || lsb > 87)
> >             csound->Message(csound,
> >                             Str("unknown drum param nos, msb %d lsb %d\n"),
> >                             (int) msb, (int) lsb);
> >           else {
> >
> > Someone must recognise the numbers.....
> > On Fri, 1 May 2020, Jeanette C. wrote:
> >
> > >Hey hey,
> > >this is not related to any of the MIDI input opcodes. The simplest way to
> > >provoke this is to have a valid CSD skeleton and in the options section
> > >something like:
> > >-o dac -d --messagelevel=2 -Ma
> > >
> > >Then I move an NRPN knob on a connected MIDI keyboard and see this:
> > >unknown drum param nos, msb 0 lsb some_value
> > >
> > >some_value depends on the actual knob tht is moved.
> > >
> > >Does anyone know why this happens and if something should be done about it
> > >inside an orchestra?
> > >
> > >Best wishes and TIA,
> > >
> > >Jeanette
> > >
> > >--
> > >* Website: http://juliencoder.de - for summer is a state of sound
> > >* Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMS4rfGrTwz8W7jhC1Jnv7g
> > >* SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/jeanette_c
> > >* Twitter: https://twitter.com/jeanette_c_s
> > >* Audiobombs: https://www.audiobombs.com/users/jeanette_c
> > >* GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c
> > >
> > >We still move to a rhythm just like this
> > >We still dream of sharing our first kiss <3
> > >(Britney Spears)
> > >
> > >Csound mailing list
> > >Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
> > >https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
> > >Send bugs reports to
> > >      https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
> > >Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here
> > >

> > Csound mailing list
> > Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
> > https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
> > Send bugs reports to
> >        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
> > Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

FromJohn ff
SubjectRe: [Csnd] MIDI input error message
What should it do?

On Fri, May 1, 2020 at 2:15 PM Pete Goodeve <pete.goodeve@computer.org> wrote:

[...]

I'm not totally certain I understand the context. I ran into it before
when I tried to patch csound to make it easier to use nrpn, and I
wasn't a very good programmer then, and haven't been back to look at
it closely since then.

If it's a warning about ability to parse a specific usage of NRPN,
then I think it should somehow be opt in, eg. you could move the
validation and warning into an optional opcode aside from the main
MIDI stream code. People who would appreciate this warning could use
it, and other uses of NRPN wouldn't have the distraction(?).

That said it's just a warning message, it led me on a wild goose chase
at least once but doesn't hurt per se. And there might well be more
going on than I've understood.

On Fri, May 1, 2020 at 3:32 PM John ff  wrote:

> What should it do?
>
> Get TypeApp for Android
> On 1 May 2020, at 23:11, Justin Smith  wrote:
>>
>> agreed that this message is an annoyance - there are many valid usages
>> of NRPN, so complaining that they don't match one vendor's scheme
>> seems a bit much
>>
>> On Fri, May 1, 2020 at 2:15 PM Pete Goodeve  wrote:
>>>

>>>  I ran into this effect some time back, but I have no recall of exactly
>>>  where!  I didn't bother about it much at the time because it didn't
>>>  really affect me.
>>>
>>>  That code expressly handles Roland GS "Drum Parameters".
>>>  I don't really think it should be there at all, as, by definition,
>>>  NRPNs are "Non-Registered", and could be used by any MIDI
>>>  device for their own purpose.
>>>
>>>  I guess it doesn't do much harm, aside from the annoying message,
>>>  as midiin still picks up thge values if you need them.
>>>
>>>          -- Pete --

>>>  Csound mailing list
>>>  Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>>>  https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
>>>  Send bugs reports to
>>>          https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>>>  Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here
>>

>> Csound mailing list
>> Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>> Send bugs reports to
>>         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

FromPete Goodeve
SubjectRe: [Csnd] MIDI input error message
AttachmentsNone

Date2020-05-02 00:10
From"Jeanette C."
SubjectRe: [Csnd] MIDI input error message
May 2 2020, John ff has written:

> What should it do?
If I understand correctly, from the snippet you posted, John, I think
the warning could be removed. I encountered this warning a lot using my
MIDI keyboard which almost exclusively sends NRPNs from 0 to more than
100, maybe 200.

Best wishes and thanks,

Jeanette

  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c

I'm so curious, what do you think of me <3
(Britney Spears)

FromJustin Smith
SubjectRe: [Csnd] MIDI input error message
I used NRPN to upgrade physical sliders from 128 value precision to
16384 value precision.

It worked great, except for the messages which were not meaningful and
ultimately caused me to waste my time tracking down the cause (I
thought it was a problem with my own code, as I'm sure has happened to
others).

On Fri, May 1, 2020 at 4:10 PM Jeanette C.  wrote:

> May 2 2020, John ff has written:
>
> > What should it do?
> If I understand correctly, from the snippet you posted, John, I think
> the warning could be removed. I encountered this warning a lot using my
> MIDI keyboard which almost exclusively sends NRPNs from 0 to more than
> 100, maybe 200.
>
> Best wishes and thanks,
>
> Jeanette
>
> --
>   * Website: http://juliencoder.de - for summer is a state of sound
>   * Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMS4rfGrTwz8W7jhC1Jnv7g
>   * SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/jeanette_c
>   * Twitter: https://twitter.com/jeanette_c_s
>   * Audiobombs: https://www.audiobombs.com/users/jeanette_c
>   * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c
>
> I'm so curious, what do you think of me <3
> (Britney Spears)

FromPete Goodeve
SubjectRe: [Csnd] MIDI input error message
AttachmentsNone

Date2020-05-02 00:39
From"Jeanette C."
SubjectRe: [Csnd] MIDI input error message
May 2 2020, Pete Goodeve has written:
> So would a specific 'nrpnin' opcode be useful?
I have written a UDO that parses MIDI to generate RPN and NRPN messages.
I use a format similar to midiin, on which this UDO relies. I only
extended the kstatus output to include 16 and 32 for RPN and NRPN.
Though an opcode from within Csound might be helpful. Seeing that it is,
apparently, allowed to only send half NRPN messages when the controller
number doesn't change. The Yoshimi author mentioned something to that
effect, since Yoshimi itself uses NRPNs to give access to many
configuration option and many other parts of the synthesis engines.

Best wishes,

Jeanette

  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c

I'm so curious, what do you think of me <3
(Britney Spears)

FromPete Goodeve
SubjectRe: [Csnd] MIDI input error message
AttachmentsNone

Date2020-05-02 07:47
From"Jeanette C."
SubjectRe: [Csnd] MIDI input error message
May 2 2020, Pete Goodeve has written:
>> Though an opcode from within Csound might be helpful. Seeing that it is,
>> apparently, allowed to only send half NRPN messages when the controller
>> number doesn't change.
>
> Don't quite follow what you're saying there. 'half NRPN messages'?
>From what I understood, a few things can happen. IIRC one of them is tht
if you use the NRPN controller, a device may only send the control
number once and then only send the changing values. Or maybe there was
something with only sending the control number lsb. I could understand
both abbreviations, since a full NRPN message takes four MIDI CC
messages. My external hardware doesn't do it, but only one of the family
does send NRPN.

Best wishes,

Jeanette

  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c

You know I'm one of a kind,
There'll never be another me <3
(Britney Spears)

FromPete Goodeve
SubjectRe: [Csnd] MIDI input error message
AttachmentsNone

Date2020-05-02 22:53
From"Jeanette C."
SubjectRe: [Csnd] MIDI input error message
May 2 2020, Pete Goodeve has written:
> my Axiom can be set up to send NRPNs, so I played. What I see is that the
> example setup will only send values through either CC6 (coarse) or CC38 (fine)
> alone, so the whole point of possible high resolution is lost.
Do you mean that your Axiom doesn't send CCs 98 and 99 at all? These are
the CCs to compose the NRPN controller number, whereas CC6 and CC38 make
up a full value. With those the resolution is complete, 14BIT.

> I did also notice, though, that one of the default presets is set up to handle
> Yamaha/Roland NRPNs.  The Encoder Knobs in that don't send CC6 messages
> but rather CC96 and CC97 (increment and decrement). I wonder if these alter
> the whole 14-bit value? (Might be a bit slow...!)
Why? Once a value is set up - don't know how - a usual knob movement
will normally step through single values. Yes, there is a tendency to
have acceleration features on knobs, the faster you turn them, the more
they "jump" through steps. Granted that could ben an issue.

I wonder: I though that Yamaha was the only company really using RPN
parameters. Though that might only hold for their XG keyboards or
instruments in XG mode.

Does anyone here have a Yamaha synth to test? Maybe an old CS2X, CS6X,
maybe even early Motif or one of the bigger digital pianos or arranger
keyboards, the high PSR or Tyros models? It would be interesting to know
what the practise is there, if only to update something like my MIDI in
opcode or a similar module.

Best wishes,

Jeanette

> 	-- Pete --

>        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c

Can't you see I'm a fool in so many ways <3
(Britney Spears)

FromPete Goodeve