[Csnd] CsoundQT, mailing list and future

Date2019-09-06 18:34
FromBernard Geyer
Subject[Csnd] CsoundQT, mailing list and future
Hi,

I use csound for about a month and a half (after a few years of
supercollider and fmod), I chosed csound for the quality of its opcodes and
the fact that it is fully backward-compatible.

I decided to use CsoundQT for my GUI, because of the graphical quality and
the ease of use and also because it seems to be the official frontend of
csound, despite the fact that important things are missing, like being able
to choose the colors of all the widgets and especially to have the
possibility to have more than one window (for sub-patches) and panels.

I wanted also to subscribe to the forum/mailing list, but I'm not sure if it
is still in use, or if we should rather ask questions about CsoundQT here.

The last message from
https://sourceforge.net/p/qutecsound/mailman/qutecsound-users/ is from july
12, 2019, but strangely, the last message that appears at
http://qutecsound-users.829572.n3.nabble.com is from july 12, 2017.

I am always very careful to separate the code concerning the GUI from the
rest of the .csd, but I am still worried when I read this kind of message:

> This is probably the last major release of CsoundQt.  I will do bug
> fixes and maybe small improvements but I am thinking about a new
> front-end and try to put the time available there.
> Best greetings,
> tarmo

What does that really mean?

Best,
Bernard

--
Sent from: http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csound-General-f1093014.html

FromRory Walsh
SubjectRe: [Csnd] CsoundQT, mailing list and future
It looks like it's coming to the end of its development, with a new interface in the pipeline. You can always try cabbage (cabbageaudio.com) or blue. Cabbage also allows exporting instruments to fmod in case you like to mix it up a little.

On Fri 6 Sep 2019, 18:39 Bernard Geyer, <micamusic2@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

I use csound for about a month and a half (after a few years of
supercollider and fmod), I chosed csound for the quality of its opcodes and
the fact that it is fully backward-compatible.

I decided to use CsoundQT for my GUI, because of the graphical quality and
the ease of use and also because it seems to be the official frontend of
csound, despite the fact that important things are missing, like being able
to choose the colors of all the widgets and especially to have the
possibility to have more than one window (for sub-patches) and panels.

I wanted also to subscribe to the forum/mailing list, but I'm not sure if it
is still in use, or if we should rather ask questions about CsoundQT here.

The last message from
https://sourceforge.net/p/qutecsound/mailman/qutecsound-users/ is from july
12, 2019, but strangely, the last message that appears at
http://qutecsound-users.829572.n3.nabble.com is from july 12, 2017.

I am always very careful to separate the code concerning the GUI from the
rest of the .csd, but I am still worried when I read this kind of message:

> This is probably the last major release of CsoundQt.  I will do bug
> fixes and maybe small improvements but I am thinking about a new
> front-end and try to put the time available there.
> Best greetings,
> tarmo

What does that really mean?

Best,
Bernard

--
Sent from: http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csound-General-f1093014.html

SubjectRe: [Csnd] CsoundQT, mailing list and future
I'd highly recommend Cabbage.

We distribute CsoundQT as it is handy for users to have something to get going when
using Csound for the first time. However, it is not an "official" frontend and has its development and issue tracker separate from Csound.

On 6 Sep 2019, at 18:47, Rory Walsh <rorywalsh@ear.ie> wrote:

It looks like it's coming to the end of its development, with a new interface in the pipeline. You can always try cabbage (cabbageaudio.com) or blue. Cabbage also allows exporting instruments to fmod in case you like to mix it up a little.

On Fri 6 Sep 2019, 18:39 Bernard Geyer, <micamusic2@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

I use csound for about a month and a half (after a few years of
supercollider and fmod), I chosed csound for the quality of its opcodes and
the fact that it is fully backward-compatible.

I decided to use CsoundQT for my GUI, because of the graphical quality and
the ease of use and also because it seems to be the official frontend of
csound, despite the fact that important things are missing, like being able
to choose the colors of all the widgets and especially to have the
possibility to have more than one window (for sub-patches) and panels.

I wanted also to subscribe to the forum/mailing list, but I'm not sure if it
is still in use, or if we should rather ask questions about CsoundQT here.

The last message from
https://sourceforge.net/p/qutecsound/mailman/qutecsound-users/ is from july
12, 2019, but strangely, the last message that appears at
http://qutecsound-users.829572.n3.nabble.com is from july 12, 2017.

I am always very careful to separate the code concerning the GUI from the
rest of the .csd, but I am still worried when I read this kind of message:

> This is probably the last major release of CsoundQt.  I will do bug
> fixes and maybe small improvements but I am thinking about a new
> front-end and try to put the time available there.
> Best greetings,
> tarmo

What does that really mean?

Best,
Bernard

--
Sent from: http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csound-General-f1093014.html

SubjectRe: [Csnd] CsoundQT, mailing list and future
hi bernard -

the csoundqt mailing lists are still active (much less than this list of
course), and questions about csoundqt should in general go there.  you
should be able to subscribe at
https://sourceforge.net/projects/qutecsound/lists/qutecsound-users.

what nabble does is nabble's decision and has nothing to do with the
actual list.

as to the situation of development in csoundqt: we still benefit from
andrés cabrera's development which started in 2008 (i think) and had a
soft end around 2015.  tarmo is doing a great job since then to fix bugs
and keep csoundqt alive.  i think iit is in general more stable than before.

i think tarmo's statement is clear: he will help to keep csoundqt alive,
but put more work in CsoundQml.  definitely, Cabbage and Blue are more
actively developed.  you can see whether you prefer one of those, or
work in python with the csound api, or ...

in general, i find the changes from one frontend to another not very
big.  the main code remains the same, and usually the communication with
the GUI via chnget/chnset.  it is all csound ...

best -
	joachim