[Csnd] Marimba opcode

Date2020-11-19 01:29
FromJason Hallen
Subject[Csnd] Marimba opcode
Hi everyone,

I'm using the marimba opcode and it's not behaving how I expect.  Here's the code I have, straight out of the reference manual:

    ifreq = cpspch(p5)
    ihrd = 0.1
    ipos = 0.561
    imp = 54
    kvibf = 6.0
    kvamp = 0.05
    ivibfn = 2
    idec = 0.6

    asig marimba p4*8, ifreq, ihrd, ipos, imp, kvibf, kvamp, ivibfn, idec, 0, 0

The two zeros at the end should set the percentage of double and triple strikes to zero, but I still hear the double and triple strikes.  The console also reports "striking two times here!!!" and "striking three times here!!!"  Am I misunderstanding these two arguments, or is this a bug?

Thanks!
Jason

FromKevin Welsh
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Marimba opcode
I think something is wrong with the opcode here, but I can't be
certain.  It looks like John wrote the opcode, so maybe he'll be able
to comment on the correct behavior.

But experimenting with it, I found that if you change the 0% chances
of doubles and triples to 1% chances, you get far fewer strikes
logged.  This makes me suspect that a value of 0 gets ignored and it
goes back to default values as if nothing were specified at all.

On Wed, Nov 18, 2020 at 8:30 PM Jason Hallen  wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm using the marimba opcode and it's not behaving how I expect.  Here's the code I have, straight out of the reference manual:
>
>     ifreq = cpspch(p5)
>     ihrd = 0.1
>     ipos = 0.561
>     imp = 54
>     kvibf = 6.0
>     kvamp = 0.05
>     ivibfn = 2
>     idec = 0.6
>
>     asig marimba p4*8, ifreq, ihrd, ipos, imp, kvibf, kvamp, ivibfn, idec, 0, 0
>
> The two zeros at the end should set the percentage of double and triple strikes to zero, but I still hear the double and triple strikes.  The console also reports "striking two times here!!!" and "striking three times here!!!"  Am I misunderstanding these two arguments, or is this a bug?
>
> Thanks!
> Jason

FromJason Hallen
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Marimba opcode
Thanks for looking into it Kevin.  Following your lead, I've set the two arguments to 0.001 instead of 0, and the double/triple strikes are basically gone.  That's a good enough solution for me.

Thanks!
Jason