[Csnd] MIDI: detect channel of incoming note message?

Date2019-10-26 18:13
FromDave Seidel
Subject[Csnd] MIDI: detect channel of incoming note message?
If I use

    massign, 0, "myinstr"

to route incoming MIDI notes from all channels to the same instrument, is there an opcode to tell me which channel a new note is coming in on?

Context: I have MIDI notes assigned to a triggering instrument in a duophonic application (Implication Organ). I am now trying to interface with a module (Doepfer A-192-2) that uses MIDI ouyput channels 1 and 2 to distinguish between its two different CV inputs. I'd like to use the channel number to govern how I trigger subsequent (sound-producing) instruments, which would simplify the existing logic.

FromDave Seidel
SubjectRe: [Csnd] MIDI: detect channel of incoming note message?
Sorry, found it: midichn. Missed it because it's not mentioned on the MIDI Input page in the manual.

On Sat, Oct 26, 2019 at 1:13 PM Dave Seidel <dave.seidel@gmail.com> wrote:
If I use

    massign, 0, "myinstr"

to route incoming MIDI notes from all channels to the same instrument, is there an opcode to tell me which channel a new note is coming in on?

Context: I have MIDI notes assigned to a triggering instrument in a duophonic application (Implication Organ). I am now trying to interface with a module (Doepfer A-192-2) that uses MIDI ouyput channels 1 and 2 to distinguish between its two different CV inputs. I'd like to use the channel number to govern how I trigger subsequent (sound-producing) instruments, which would simplify the existing logic.

Fromjohn
SubjectRe: [Csnd] MIDI: detect channel of incoming note message?
Where do you thint should be in the manual?  We ca improve the current
state.

On Sat, 26 Oct 2019, Dave Seidel wrote:

> Sorry, found it: midichn. Missed it because it's not mentioned on the MIDI
> Input page in the manual.
>
> On Sat, Oct 26, 2019 at 1:13 PM Dave Seidel  wrote:
>       If I use
>     massign, 0, "myinstr"
>
> to route incoming MIDI notes from all channels to the same instrument,
> is there an opcode to tell me which channel a new note is coming in on?

FromDave Seidel
SubjectRe: [Csnd] MIDI: detect channel of incoming note message?
I think it would be good to mention it on the "MIDI input" page in the "Real-time MIDI Support" section, probably as part of the statement

MIDI information for MIDI-triggered instruments: veloc , midictrl and notnum. See also Converters.

On Sat, Oct 26, 2019 at 4:13 PM john <jpff@codemist.co.uk> wrote:
Where do you thint should be in the manual?  We ca improve the current
state.

On Sat, 26 Oct 2019, Dave Seidel wrote:

> Sorry, found it: midichn. Missed it because it's not mentioned on the MIDI
> Input page in the manual.
>
> On Sat, Oct 26, 2019 at 1:13 PM Dave Seidel <dave.seidel@gmail.com> wrote:
>       If I use
>     massign, 0, "myinstr"
>
> to route incoming MIDI notes from all channels to the same instrument,
> is there an opcode to tell me which channel a new note is coming in on?

Fromjohn
SubjectRe: [Csnd] MIDI: detect channel of incoming note message?
Thank you.  Change noted.

On Sat, 26 Oct 2019, Dave Seidel wrote:

> I think it would be good to mention it on the "MIDI input" page in the
> "Real-time MIDI Support" section, probably as part of the statement
>
> MIDI information for MIDI-triggered instruments: veloc , midictrl and notnum.
> See also Converters.
>
> On Sat, Oct 26, 2019 at 4:13 PM john  wrote:
>       Where do you thint should be in the manual?  We ca improve the
>       current
>       state.
>

>       On Sat, 26 Oct 2019, Dave Seidel wrote:
>
>       > Sorry, found it: midichn. Missed it because it's not mentioned
>       on the MIDI
>       > Input page in the manual.
>       >
>       > On Sat, Oct 26, 2019 at 1:13 PM Dave Seidel
>        wrote:
>       >       If I use
>       >     massign, 0, "myinstr"
>       >
>       > to route incoming MIDI notes from all channels to the same
>       instrument,
>       > is there an opcode to tell me which channel a new note is coming
>       in on?
>
>       Csound mailing list
>       Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>       https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
>       Send bugs reports to
>               https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>       Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here
>

> --
> http://mysterybear.nethttps://soundcloud.com/mysterybear
> https://mysterybear.bandcamp.com
> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCo0--3uN5ycq_aupZXskBgA
>
> http://recordings.irritablehedgehog.com/album/dave-seidel-60-hz
> be posted here

FromDave Seidel
SubjectRe: [Csnd] MIDI: detect channel of incoming note message?
Thanks, John.

Thank you.  Change noted.