[Csnd] loscil3 release loop

Date2021-01-15 09:53
FromSøren Jakobsen
Subject[Csnd] loscil3 release loop
Hello, can someone please explain me why the following isn't working?
I am trying to loop a sample and have it continue looping during the
release phase (I have tried other ways also but nothing works for me).

-o dac

sr=44100
ksmps=32
nchnls=1
0dbfs=1

instr 1
itie tival
print itie
xtratim 1
kenv linsegr 1, 1, 0
asig loscil3 1, 1, 123, 1, 1, 0, ftlen(123), 1, 0, ftlen(123)
outs kenv * asig
endin

f 123 0 0 -1 "monosample.wav" 0 0 0

i 1 0 -1
i -1 1 -1

FromRory Walsh
SubjectRe: [Csnd] loscil3 release loop
You don't have any release segment?

On Fri, 15 Jan 2021 at 09:53, Søren Jakobsen <sorenkj@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello, can someone please explain me why the following isn't working?
I am trying to loop a sample and have it continue looping during the
release phase (I have tried other ways also but nothing works for me).

<CsoundSynthesizer>
<CsOptions>
-o dac
</CsOptions>
<CsInstruments>
sr=44100
ksmps=32
nchnls=1
0dbfs=1

instr 1
itie tival
print itie
xtratim 1
kenv linsegr 1, 1, 0
asig loscil3 1, 1, 123, 1, 1, 0, ftlen(123), 1, 0, ftlen(123)
outs kenv * asig
endin

</CsInstruments>
<CsScore>

f 123 0 0 -1 "monosample.wav" 0 0 0

i 1 0 -1
i -1 1 -1

</CsScore>
</CsoundSynthesizer>

FromSøren Jakobsen
SubjectRe: [Csnd] loscil3 release loop
If I use "kenv linsegr 1, 0.01, 1, 1, 0" instead the looping also
stops at the time of the 'note off' event.

Anyway, if you try the following code you can see that "kenv linsegr
1, 1, 0" actually also specifies a release segment (although the
documentation does not specify "ia, idur1, ib " as optional).

-o dac

sr=44100
ksmps=32
nchnls=1
0dbfs=1

instr 1
itie tival
print itie
xtratim 1
kenv linsegr 1, 1, 0
asig poscil3 1, 200
outs kenv * asig
endin

i 1 0 -1
i -1 3 -1

On 15/01/2021, Rory Walsh  wrote:
> You don't have any release segment?
>
> https://csound.com/docs/manual/linsegr.html
>

> On Fri, 15 Jan 2021 at 09:53, Søren Jakobsen  wrote:
>
>> Hello, can someone please explain me why the following isn't working?
>> I am trying to loop a sample and have it continue looping during the
>> release phase (I have tried other ways also but nothing works for me).
>>

>> -o dac
>>

>> sr=44100
>> ksmps=32
>> nchnls=1
>> 0dbfs=1
>>
>> instr 1
>> itie tival
>> print itie
>> xtratim 1
>> kenv linsegr 1, 1, 0
>> asig loscil3 1, 1, 123, 1, 1, 0, ftlen(123), 1, 0, ftlen(123)
>> outs kenv * asig
>> endin
>>

>> f 123 0 0 -1 "monosample.wav" 0 0 0
>>
>> i 1 0 -1
>> i -1 1 -1
>>

>> Csound mailing list
>> Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>> Send bugs reports to
>>         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

FromRory Walsh
SubjectRe: [Csnd] loscil3 release loop
Sorry, I didn't realise that it has default release segments. I'm not sure. I would also expect the loop to continue for the duration of the release segment. If I swap out loscil3 with a phasor/tab combo it works.

instr 1
kenv linsegr 1, 1, 1, 5, 0
;asig loscil3 1, 1, 123, 1, 1, 0, ftlen(123), 1, 0, ftlen(123)
a1 phasor 1
asig tab a1, 123, 1
outs kenv * asig
endin

On 15/01/2021, Rory Walsh <rorywalsh@ear.ie> wrote:
> You don't have any release segment?
>
> https://csound.com/docs/manual/linsegr.html
>

> On Fri, 15 Jan 2021 at 09:53, Søren Jakobsen <sorenkj@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello, can someone please explain me why the following isn't working?
>> I am trying to loop a sample and have it continue looping during the
>> release phase (I have tried other ways also but nothing works for me).
>>
>> <CsoundSynthesizer>
>> <CsOptions>
>> -o dac
>> </CsOptions>
>> <CsInstruments>
>> sr=44100
>> ksmps=32
>> nchnls=1
>> 0dbfs=1
>>
>> instr 1
>> itie tival
>> print itie
>> xtratim 1
>> kenv linsegr 1, 1, 0
>> asig loscil3 1, 1, 123, 1, 1, 0, ftlen(123), 1, 0, ftlen(123)
>> outs kenv * asig
>> endin
>>
>> </CsInstruments>
>> <CsScore>
>>
>> f 123 0 0 -1 "monosample.wav" 0 0 0
>>
>> i 1 0 -1
>> i -1 1 -1
>>
>> </CsScore>
>> </CsoundSynthesizer>
>>
>> Csound mailing list
>> Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>> Send bugs reports to
>>         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

FromSøren Jakobsen
SubjectRe: [Csnd] loscil3 release loop
Nice, but I would really like to use loscil3 (for interpolation and such).
It seems perhaps there is a bug in loscil3?

On 15/01/2021, Rory Walsh  wrote:
> Sorry, I didn't realise that it has default release segments. I'm not sure.
> I would also expect the loop to continue for the duration of the release
> segment. If I swap out loscil3 with a phasor/tab combo it works.
>
> instr 1
> kenv linsegr 1, 1, 1, 5, 0
> ;asig loscil3 1, 1, 123, 1, 1, 0, ftlen(123), 1, 0, ftlen(123)
> a1 phasor 1
> asig tab a1, 123, 1
> outs kenv * asig
> endin
>
> On Fri, 15 Jan 2021 at 10:29, Søren Jakobsen  wrote:
>
>> If I use "kenv linsegr 1, 0.01, 1, 1, 0" instead the looping also
>> stops at the time of the 'note off' event.
>>
>> Anyway, if you try the following code you can see that "kenv linsegr
>> 1, 1, 0" actually also specifies a release segment (although the
>> documentation does not specify "ia, idur1, ib " as optional).
>>

>> -o dac
>>

>> sr=44100
>> ksmps=32
>> nchnls=1
>> 0dbfs=1
>>
>> instr 1
>> itie tival
>> print itie
>> xtratim 1
>> kenv linsegr 1, 1, 0
>> asig poscil3 1, 200
>> outs kenv * asig
>> endin
>>

>> i 1 0 -1
>> i -1 3 -1
>>

>> On 15/01/2021, Rory Walsh  wrote:
>> > You don't have any release segment?
>> >
>> > https://csound.com/docs/manual/linsegr.html

>> > Csound mailing list
>> > Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>> > https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
>> > Send bugs reports to
>> >         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>> > Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here
>> >

>> Csound mailing list
>> Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>> Send bugs reports to
>>         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

FromRory Walsh
SubjectRe: [Csnd] loscil3 release loop
Seems like a bug to me but I'd like to see what others think before filing an issue on github?

On Fri, 15 Jan 2021 at 11:33, Søren Jakobsen <sorenkj@gmail.com> wrote:
Nice, but I would really like to use loscil3 (for interpolation and such).
It seems perhaps there is a bug in loscil3?

On 15/01/2021, Rory Walsh <rorywalsh@ear.ie> wrote:
> Sorry, I didn't realise that it has default release segments. I'm not sure.
> I would also expect the loop to continue for the duration of the release
> segment. If I swap out loscil3 with a phasor/tab combo it works.
>
> instr 1
> kenv linsegr 1, 1, 1, 5, 0
> ;asig loscil3 1, 1, 123, 1, 1, 0, ftlen(123), 1, 0, ftlen(123)
> a1 phasor 1
> asig tab a1, 123, 1
> outs kenv * asig
> endin
>
> On Fri, 15 Jan 2021 at 10:29, Søren Jakobsen <sorenkj@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> If I use "kenv linsegr 1, 0.01, 1, 1, 0" instead the looping also
>> stops at the time of the 'note off' event.
>>
>> Anyway, if you try the following code you can see that "kenv linsegr
>> 1, 1, 0" actually also specifies a release segment (although the
>> documentation does not specify "ia, idur1, ib " as optional).
>>

>> <CsoundSynthesizer>
>> <CsOptions>
>> -o dac
>> </CsOptions>
>> <CsInstruments>
>> sr=44100
>> ksmps=32
>> nchnls=1
>> 0dbfs=1
>>
>> instr 1
>> itie tival
>> print itie
>> xtratim 1
>> kenv linsegr 1, 1, 0
>> asig poscil3 1, 200
>> outs kenv * asig
>> endin
>>
>> </CsInstruments>
>> <CsScore>
>> i 1 0 -1
>> i -1 3 -1
>> </CsScore>
>> </CsoundSynthesizer>
>>
>> On 15/01/2021, Rory Walsh <rorywalsh@ear.ie> wrote:
>> > You don't have any release segment?
>> >
>> > https://csound.com/docs/manual/linsegr.html

>> > Csound mailing list
>> > Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>> > https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
>> > Send bugs reports to
>> >         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>> > Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here
>> >

>> Csound mailing list
>> Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>> Send bugs reports to
>>         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

FromOeyvind Brandtsegg
SubjectRe: [Csnd] loscil3 release loop
Just a shot in the dark, but perhaps loscil is reading (or trying to read) the release loop points from the sound file, and there might be potential for conflicts/issues related to that?

fre. 15. jan. 2021 kl. 12:55 skrev Rory Walsh <rorywalsh@ear.ie>:
Seems like a bug to me but I'd like to see what others think before filing an issue on github?

On Fri, 15 Jan 2021 at 11:33, Søren Jakobsen <sorenkj@gmail.com> wrote:
Nice, but I would really like to use loscil3 (for interpolation and such).
It seems perhaps there is a bug in loscil3?

On 15/01/2021, Rory Walsh <rorywalsh@ear.ie> wrote:
> Sorry, I didn't realise that it has default release segments. I'm not sure.
> I would also expect the loop to continue for the duration of the release
> segment. If I swap out loscil3 with a phasor/tab combo it works.
>
> instr 1
> kenv linsegr 1, 1, 1, 5, 0
> ;asig loscil3 1, 1, 123, 1, 1, 0, ftlen(123), 1, 0, ftlen(123)
> a1 phasor 1
> asig tab a1, 123, 1
> outs kenv * asig
> endin
>
> On Fri, 15 Jan 2021 at 10:29, Søren Jakobsen <sorenkj@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> If I use "kenv linsegr 1, 0.01, 1, 1, 0" instead the looping also
>> stops at the time of the 'note off' event.
>>
>> Anyway, if you try the following code you can see that "kenv linsegr
>> 1, 1, 0" actually also specifies a release segment (although the
>> documentation does not specify "ia, idur1, ib " as optional).
>>

>> <CsoundSynthesizer>
>> <CsOptions>
>> -o dac
>> </CsOptions>
>> <CsInstruments>
>> sr=44100
>> ksmps=32
>> nchnls=1
>> 0dbfs=1
>>
>> instr 1
>> itie tival
>> print itie
>> xtratim 1
>> kenv linsegr 1, 1, 0
>> asig poscil3 1, 200
>> outs kenv * asig
>> endin
>>
>> </CsInstruments>
>> <CsScore>
>> i 1 0 -1
>> i -1 3 -1
>> </CsScore>
>> </CsoundSynthesizer>
>>
>> On 15/01/2021, Rory Walsh <rorywalsh@ear.ie> wrote:
>> > You don't have any release segment?
>> >
>> > https://csound.com/docs/manual/linsegr.html

>> > Csound mailing list
>> > Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>> > https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
>> > Send bugs reports to
>> >         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>> > Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here
>> >

>> Csound mailing list
>> Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>> Send bugs reports to
>>         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

FromSøren Jakobsen
SubjectRe: [Csnd] loscil3 release loop
The test .wav-file I am using does indeed have loop information. I
just tried deleting this info from the file, but the problem is still
there.

On 15/01/2021, Oeyvind Brandtsegg  wrote:
> Just a shot in the dark, but perhaps loscil is reading (or trying to read)
> the release loop points from the sound file, and there might be potential
> for conflicts/issues related to that?
>
> fre. 15. jan. 2021 kl. 12:55 skrev Rory Walsh :
>
>> Seems like a bug to me but I'd like to see what others think before
>> filing
>> an issue on github?
>>
>> On Fri, 15 Jan 2021 at 11:33, Søren Jakobsen  wrote:
>>
>>> Nice, but I would really like to use loscil3 (for interpolation and
>>> such).
>>> It seems perhaps there is a bug in loscil3?

>>> sure.

>>> working?
>>> me).

>>> Csound mailing list
>>> Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>>> Send bugs reports to
>>>         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

>> https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND Send bugs reports to
>> https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features
>> can be posted here

FromOeyvind Brandtsegg
SubjectRe: [Csnd] loscil3 release loop
Thanks for testing that. What I (also) meant was that perhaps the opcode is trying (and failing) to read this info, and an issue happens regardless of the info being present in the file or not.
Did you also try to *not* enter explicit release loop points as arguments to the opcode (as these will probably override the info in the file)?
eI also now noticed the loscil3phs opcode, seemingly a copy of loscil3 with a phase output, Could be something to try, if it misbehaves the same way. And also try lposcil (lposcil3) as an alternative.

But it does seem there is something wrong with loscil release looping, so please also report an issue on github with the example you posted here showing the error.

all best
Øyvind

On 15/01/2021, Oeyvind Brandtsegg <obrandts@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just a shot in the dark, but perhaps loscil is reading (or trying to read)
> the release loop points from the sound file, and there might be potential
> for conflicts/issues related to that?
>
> fre. 15. jan. 2021 kl. 12:55 skrev Rory Walsh <rorywalsh@ear.ie>:
>
>> Seems like a bug to me but I'd like to see what others think before
>> filing
>> an issue on github?
>>
>> On Fri, 15 Jan 2021 at 11:33, Søren Jakobsen <sorenkj@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Nice, but I would really like to use loscil3 (for interpolation and
>>> such).
>>> It seems perhaps there is a bug in loscil3?

>>> sure.

>>> working?
>>> me).

>>> Csound mailing list
>>> Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>>> Send bugs reports to
>>>         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

>> https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND Send bugs reports to
>> https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features
>> can be posted here

FromSøren Jakobsen
SubjectRe: [Csnd] loscil3 release loop
Thanks for the tip - lposcil3 works perfectly!
Yes I also tried letting loscil3 read the loops from the file, like
this: "asig loscil3 1, 1, 123, 1, -1, 0, ftlen(123), -1, 0,
ftlen(123)" - makes no difference, though I just noticed that the
sound actually does start to fade out towards the end, but the fadeout
is cut off before it finishes.

On 15/01/2021, Oeyvind Brandtsegg  wrote:
> Thanks for testing that. What I (also) meant was that perhaps the opcode is
> trying (and failing) to read this info, and an issue happens regardless of
> the info being present in the file or not.
> Did you also try to *not* enter explicit release loop points as arguments
> to the opcode (as these will probably override the info in the file)?
> eI also now noticed the loscil3phs opcode, seemingly a copy of loscil3 with
> a phase output, Could be something to try, if it misbehaves the same way.
> And also try lposcil (lposcil3) as an alternative.
>
> But it does seem there is something wrong with loscil release looping, so
> please also report an issue on github with the example you posted here
> showing the error.
>
> all best
> Øyvind
>
> fre. 15. jan. 2021 kl. 13:58 skrev Søren Jakobsen :
>
>> The test .wav-file I am using does indeed have loop information. I
>> just tried deleting this info from the file, but the problem is still
>> there.
>>
>> On 15/01/2021, Oeyvind Brandtsegg  wrote:
>> > Just a shot in the dark, but perhaps loscil is reading (or trying to
>> read)
>> > the release loop points from the sound file, and there might be
>> > potential
>> > for conflicts/issues related to that?

>> features
>> >
>> > Csound mailing list
>> > Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>> > https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
>> > Send bugs reports to
>> >         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>> > Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here
>> >

>> Csound mailing list
>> Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>> Send bugs reports to
>>         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

From"Dr. Richard Boulanger"
SubjectRe: [Csnd] loscil3 release loop
Maybe an example, like this one that 'works perfectly' might be a good thing to add to the manual - to show how to make it work perfectly?  -dB