[Csnd] Opcode docs

Date2021-07-12 20:16
FromMike McGonagle
Subject[Csnd] Opcode docs
Hi, in my internet travels I've learned that you can pass arrays into and out of an opcode, but there is nothing in the documentation for 'opcode' that says anything about using arrays at all. While I get not using them for output because it might be troublesome (when the array is created in the UDO. Memory issue.), I don't get why it wouldn't say anything about using them for input in the documentation.

I've also seen some using them with two dimensions.

So, is it all you need to do to declare something as an array by following is type character with '[]' or '[][]' for single dimensions and double dimensions, respectively?

SubjectRe: [Csnd] Opcode docs
perhaps this helps:
https://flossmanual.csound.com/csound-language/arrays#arrays-in-udos

	joachim

On 12/07/2021 21:16, Mike McGonagle wrote:
> Hi, in my internet travels I've learned that you can pass arrays into
> and out of an opcode, but there is nothing in the documentation for
> 'opcode' that says anything about using arrays at all. While I get not
> using them for output because it might be troublesome (when the array is
> created in the UDO. Memory issue.), I don't get why it wouldn't say
> anything about using them for input in the documentation.
>
> I've also seen some using them with two dimensions.
>
> So, is it all you need to do to declare something as an array by
> following is type character with '[]' or '[][]' for single dimensions
> and double dimensions, respectively?
>
> Mike
> Csound mailing list Csound@listserv.heanet.ie

>  Send bugs reports to
> https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>  Discussions of bugs and
> features can be posted here

FromMike McGonagle
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Opcode docs
So can I assume that the Floss manual is more complete? Or just an extension of the current manual?

Mike

On Monday, July 12, 2021, joachim heintz <jh@joachimheintz.de> wrote:
perhaps this helps:
https://flossmanual.csound.com/csound-language/arrays#arrays-in-udos

        joachim

On 12/07/2021 21:16, Mike McGonagle wrote:
Hi, in my internet travels I've learned that you can pass arrays into and out of an opcode, but there is nothing in the documentation for 'opcode' that says anything about using arrays at all. While I get not using them for output because it might be troublesome (when the array is created in the UDO. Memory issue.), I don't get why it wouldn't say anything about using them for input in the documentation.

I've also seen some using them with two dimensions.

So, is it all you need to do to declare something as an array by following is type character with '[]' or '[][]' for single dimensions and double dimensions, respectively?

Mike
Csound mailing list Csound@listserv.heanet.ie <mailto:Csound@listserv.heanet.ie> https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND <https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND> Send bugs reports to https://github.com/csound/csound/issues <https://github.com/csound/csound/issues> Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

SubjectRe: [Csnd] Opcode docs
no the floss manual has a different goal: it is not the reference
manual, but a textbook, a (hopefully) readable introduction to csound.

i just wanted to answer your question regarding the content.  you are
right, that the information should be found in the canonical manual.  if
not, opening a ticket at https://github.com/csound/manual/issues would
be appreciated (or, even better, a pull request).