[Csnd] JSON in music

Subject[Csnd] JSON in music
Does anyone know of existing applications of JSON to music systems and apps?
Links/papers would be welcome.

Thanks a lot

FromRory Walsh
SubjectRe: [Csnd] JSON in music
I've come across a few JS sound libraries that use JSON objects for various things, but I am not sure this is what you are after. For example, tone.js uses JSON objects to initialise synths and effects?

On Thu, 2 Jan 2020 at 12:49, Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
Does anyone know of existing applications of JSON to music systems and apps?
Links/papers would be welcome.

Thanks a lot

FromRichard van Bemmelen
SubjectRe: [Csnd] JSON in music
JSON is just a data format (JavaScript Object Notation). It can be used to store or retreive configuration data or exchange data between programs.
It is considered to be better  readable than XML.

Pyo uses it to store Zyne synth settings (.zy files), like :
{'lfo_params': [[{'state': 1, 'params': [0.0, 1.2698548574861384, ......}

Richard

Op do 2 jan. 2020 om 13:48 schreef Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie>:
Does anyone know of existing applications of JSON to music systems and apps?
Links/papers would be welcome.

Thanks a lot

FromOlivier Bélanger
SubjectRe: [Csnd] JSON in music
Hi,

> Pyo uses it to store Zyne synth settings (.zy files), like :
> {'lfo_params': [[{'state': 1, 'params': [0.0, 1.2698548574861384, ......}

It's a just coincidence! Zyne writes a pure python dictionary to the
.zy file. The syntax is very similar.

Olivier

> Richard
>

> Op do 2 jan. 2020 om 13:48 schreef Victor Lazzarini :
>>
>> Does anyone know of existing applications of JSON to music systems and apps?
>> Links/papers would be welcome.
>>
>> Thanks a lot
>>
>> Prof. Victor Lazzarini
>> Maynooth University
>> Ireland
>>
>> Csound mailing list
>> Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>> Send bugs reports to
>>         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

FromRichard Knight
SubjectRe: [Csnd] JSON in music

JSON is used in lots of different contexts, here are some that might be relevant:

Music JSON is a proposed format kind of analogous to MusicXML:
https://github.com/soundio/music-json

Flockling is web based synthesis with a supercollider style language but defined in JSON:
https://flockingjs.org/

Max/MSP stores it's patches as JSON but it is undocumented
https://cycling74.com/forums/is-there-a-documentation-about-the-maxpat-json-format-dependency_cache

Various music info retrieval systems use JSON APIs eg the following but then mostly all web/REST services seem to favour JSON over XML now:
LastFM https://www.last.fm/api/rest
MusicBrainz https://wiki.musicbrainz.org/Development/JSON_Web_Service
Discogs https://www.discogs.com/developers

JSON is used for descriptor output in some audio feature extractors eg:
Essentia's feature extractor https://essentia.upf.edu/streaming_extractor_music.html
https://github.com/davidgranstrom/audio-feature-extraction
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/265508524_JAMS_A_JSON_Annotated_Music_Specification_for_Reproducible_MIR_Research

regards,
Richard

On Thu, 2 Jan 2020 12:48:47 +0000, Victor Lazzarini wrote:

Does anyone know of existing applications of JSON to music systems and apps?
Links/papers would be welcome.

Thanks a lot

SubjectRe: [Csnd] JSON in music
Thanks, that's very useful.

On 3 Jan 2020, at 05:55, Richard Knight <richard@1bpm.net> wrote:

[...]

FromPeter Burgess
SubjectRe: [Csnd] JSON in music
I use YAML (a superset of JSON) to store all the genre and instrument parameter data for my app, and could use straight JSON just as well for all my needs (I chose YAML over JSON only because it's written in a less cluttered manor). You can use these with a JSON/YAML parser just like XML to store and recall data. I'm not sure it would be easy to think of the full range of possibilities on how to use this in music software... In my app I've accidentally got close to it being usable as a high level audio programming language...

On Fri, 3 Jan 2020, 09:29 Victor Lazzarini, <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
[...]

FromJulio Benavides <000001af805ab429-dmarc-request@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE>
SubjectRe: [Csnd] JSON in music
Charlie Roberts Worcester Polytechnic Institute, uses Json to create panels
for his program called "Control "(iOS, Android)

http://www.charlie-roberts.com/pubs.htm

-----
Then Barry said, "Let's make some noise" and there was Csound.
--
Sent from: http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csound-General-f1093014.html