[Csnd] 11-Band channel vocoder UDO with formant shift and variable Q

Date2020-10-05 22:27
From"Jeanette C."
Subject[Csnd] 11-Band channel vocoder UDO with formant shift and variable Q
Hey hey,
I have just released a new UDO, based on the classic vocoder design this UDO
uses 11 bandpass filters. The Q or bandwidth is variable, there is a formant
shift control - by linearly shifting a few of the modulator anaylsis bands. It
can also be used as a "static" filterbank for either the carrier or the
modulator. On the modulator the filters will shift with the formant shift
control. In normal vocoding mode the highest band will either be taken from
the original modulator or vocoder through internal white noise.

Download:
http://juliencoder.de/sound/m_vc110-1.1.zip

Demo video:
https://youtu.be/zf0cAVcHCpM
(Note the constant hiss in carrier filterbank mode is corrected now).

Enjoy and best wishes,

Jeanette

  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c

There's a girl in the mirror
I wonder who she is
Sometimes I think I know her
Sometimes I really wish I did <3
(Britney Spears)

FromJana Hübenthal
SubjectRe: [Csnd] 11-Band channel vocoder UDO with formant shift and variable Q
Hi Jeanette,

you're so great! Just saw the demo video and I like it very much. Can't
wait to try your UDO...

Very good work, many thanks!

Best wishes,
Jana

Am 05.10.20 um 23:27 schrieb Jeanette C.:
> Hey hey,
> I have just released a new UDO, based on the classic vocoder design
> this UDO uses 11 bandpass filters. The Q or bandwidth is variable,
> there is a formant shift control - by linearly shifting a few of the
> modulator anaylsis bands. It can also be used as a "static" filterbank
> for either the carrier or the modulator. On the modulator the filters
> will shift with the formant shift control. In normal vocoding mode the
> highest band will either be taken from the original modulator or
> vocoder through internal white noise.
>
> Download:
> http://juliencoder.de/sound/m_vc110-1.1.zip
>
> Demo video:
> https://youtu.be/zf0cAVcHCpM
> (Note the constant hiss in carrier filterbank mode is corrected now).
>
> Enjoy and best wishes,
>
> Jeanette

SubjectRe: [Csnd] 11-Band channel vocoder UDO with formant shift and variable Q
This was soooo good! Thanks Jeanette for sharing this!

On Mon, Oct 5, 2020 at 5:27 PM Jeanette C.  wrote:

> Hey hey,
> I have just released a new UDO, based on the classic vocoder design this UDO
> uses 11 bandpass filters. The Q or bandwidth is variable, there is a formant
> shift control - by linearly shifting a few of the modulator anaylsis bands. It
> can also be used as a "static" filterbank for either the carrier or the
> modulator. On the modulator the filters will shift with the formant shift
> control. In normal vocoding mode the highest band will either be taken from
> the original modulator or vocoder through internal white noise.
>
> Download:
> http://juliencoder.de/sound/m_vc110-1.1.zip
>
> Demo video:
> https://youtu.be/zf0cAVcHCpM
> (Note the constant hiss in carrier filterbank mode is corrected now).
>
> Enjoy and best wishes,
>
> Jeanette
>
> --
>   * Website: http://juliencoder.de - for summer is a state of sound
>   * Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMS4rfGrTwz8W7jhC1Jnv7g
>   * Audiobombs: https://www.audiobombs.com/users/jeanette_c
>   * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c
>
> There's a girl in the mirror
> I wonder who she is
> Sometimes I think I know her
> Sometimes I really wish I did <3
> (Britney Spears)

FromKevin Welsh
SubjectRe: [Csnd] 11-Band channel vocoder UDO with formant shift and variable Q
This looks and sounds fantastic, thanks for sharing Jeanette!  I can't wait to try it out for myself.  Great work!

On Mon, Oct 5, 2020 at 5:27 PM Jeanette C. <julien@mail.upb.de> wrote:
[...]

From"Dr. Richard Boulanger"
SubjectRe: [Csnd] 11-Band channel vocoder UDO with formant shift and variable Q
Jeanette,

I am introducing the Channel Vocoder in my DSP class next week. Perfect timing! Can't wait to share this with them.  Wonderful work.  Brilliant. Thanks.

Dr. Richard Boulanger
Professor
Electronic Production and Design
Berklee College of Music

On Oct 5, 2020, at 6:23 PM, Kevin Welsh <tgrey1@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Thanks everyone for the very nice comments. I hope that you can enjoy the
thing in real life. It sounds like there might be one simple method of
improving the efficiency. I'm working on it.

Best wishes,

Jeanette

  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c

I can't believe it's what I see
That the girl in the mirror
The girl in the mirror Is me <3
(Britney Spears)

FromTetsuya Miwa
SubjectRe: [Csnd] 11-Band channel vocoder UDO with formant shift and variable Q
Hello Jeanette,

Thank you for sharing the code. The sound in the demo video is very nice!  I need to analyze your code and will find the reason why my vocoder program sounds poorly.

Regards,
Tetsuya Miwa

From"Jeanette C."
SubjectRe: [Csnd] 11-Band channel vocoder UDO with formant shift and variable Q
Hello Tetsuya,
Oct 6 2020, Tetsuya Miwa has written:
> I need to analyze your code and will find the reason why my vocoder program sounds poorly.
Thank you. Why does your vocoder sound "poorly"? Too dark, so you can't
really understand the speech? Or to sluggish? Those were issues I had at
first. I changed the default ihp of the balance opcode and I think
either the original highest modulator band or a white noise excitation
helped greatly with that. I really wanted to emulate the Roland VP-330,
but couldn't find centre frequencies for the bands, so I based that on
the MAM VF-11, which funnily I have myself. :)

Best wishes and good hacking,

Jeanette

  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c

All you people look at me like I'm a little girl.
Well did you ever think it be okay for me to step into this world. <3
(Britney Spears)

FromTetsuya Miwa
SubjectRe: [Csnd] 11-Band channel vocoder UDO with formant shift and variable Q
Hello Jeanette,

Thank you for your comment . The basic logic of my vocoder is similar to yours, but I capture envelope from the modifier(BP filtered) to control the carrier.
I firstly used RMS to capture the envelope of each band, but the speech is not clear.
When I used FOLLOW instead of RMS, the speech is clearer but it sounds like having aliasing.
I need to investigate the best ihp for RMS patiently.

I have a Roland SVC-350 but the centre frequencies are not mentioned in the manual.
I’m using the centre frequencies of DoepferA-129. You can check it here: http://www.doepfer.de/a100_man/A1291man.pdf

Regards,
Tetsuya Miwa.

> 2020/10/07 1:43、Jeanette C. のメール:
>
> Hello Tetsuya,
> Oct 6 2020, Tetsuya Miwa has written:
>> I need to analyze your code and will find the reason why my vocoder program sounds poorly.
> Thank you. Why does your vocoder sound "poorly"? Too dark, so you can't
> really understand the speech? Or to sluggish? Those were issues I had at
> first. I changed the default ihp of the balance opcode and I think
> either the original highest modulator band or a white noise excitation
> helped greatly with that. I really wanted to emulate the Roland VP-330,
> but couldn't find centre frequencies for the bands, so I based that on
> the MAM VF-11, which funnily I have myself. :)
>
> Best wishes and good hacking,
>
> Jeanette
>
> --
> * Website: http://juliencoder.de - for summer is a state of sound
> * Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMS4rfGrTwz8W7jhC1Jnv7g
> * Audiobombs: https://www.audiobombs.com/users/jeanette_c
> * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c
>
> All you people look at me like I'm a little girl.
> Well did you ever think it be okay for me to step into this world. <3
> (Britney Spears)

>       https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

From"Jeanette C."
SubjectRe: [Csnd] 11-Band channel vocoder UDO with formant shift and variable Q
Hey hey,
I have just uplooaded a small efficiency update, many thanks to Steven Yi, for
pointing out the use of sumarray with a-rate arrays. I hope that it improves
the realtime efficiency:
http://juliencoder.de/sound/m_vc110-1.2.zip

Best wishes,

Jeanette

  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c

When you need someone, you just turn around and I will be there <3
(Britney Spears)