[Csnd] Anyone doing Csound in Minnesota?

Date2020-03-02 20:34
FromJason Hallen
Subject[Csnd] Anyone doing Csound in Minnesota?
Hi all,

Out of curiosity, are any of you based out of Minnesota?  I'd like to get a sense for who is doing Csound in my neck of the woods.

Thanks!
Jason

FromDavid Akbari
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Anyone doing Csound in Minnesota?
Hello Jason,

Thanks for your email. There have been groups that pop up here and
there that use Csound in MN. There is a lot of embedded hardware stuff
going on in MN too. I myself am based in MN and many years ago had the
privilege of studying Csound with Dr. B at Berklee.

I personally use Csound very regularly for prototypes both as unit
generators and data recorders in my job in R&D at a medical device
company.

Not long ago we were using a bunch of Raspberry Pi's in a distributed
computing layout controlled with OSC. It ended up being a low cost
solution for office masking noise! The executive team decided they
wanted an office masking noise to prevent people listening in on each
other's phone calls without being just a pure white or pink noise that
would drive people nuts or give them listening fatigue. We set up some
Pis with microphones that monitor the sound pressure level of the
office environment and then compare that with a long-term weighted
average spectrum of speech stored in Csound function tables, and then
use that to adjust frequency specific gain components of a
speech-weighted masking noise. Most office masking systems of this
type have a number of fixed elements such as the noise itself (which
is often too broad spectrum or not dynamic), or are very expensive for
what ends up being an inadequate modular implementation. In my view
this is the type of problem you can only really solve with Csound.

There is a huge art community in MN but it tends to either go in the
direction of live coding or art installations. You do see some Csound
mixed in with the various Super Collider, Pd, and other things like
ChucK. There was one guy that was calling the Csound API through
Openframeworks for his work as a VJ using Csound's streaming f-sig
opcodes to guide the visuals which I thought was really cool. I am not
sure how into social media you are but there's a Facebook group called
"Twin City Synth Meet" which has some good posts.

So yes there are people in MN doing things with Csound! After all
people have to find something to do indoors during the six months of
winter every year.

Best regards,
David

On Mon, Mar 2, 2020 at 2:35 PM Jason Hallen  wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Out of curiosity, are any of you based out of Minnesota?  I'd like to get a sense for who is doing Csound in my neck of the woods.
>
> Thanks!
> Jason

FromForrest Cahoon
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Anyone doing Csound in Minnesota?
Some years back, I tried to start a Csound Meetup group, but it quickly became clear that I had to expand my scope in order to have enough attendees. Eventually that group became "Art Code", which extended beyond sound to any creative artistic things people were doing with computers. The group disbanded when I changed jobs and my work responsibilities became a bit much, but I've always hoped that some sort of group could re-form.

These days I've been working more with ChucK, but I'm still intending to do more with Csound because I really appreciate its design philosophy. And its community! There are lots of awesome people on this list, and it never seems to irritate them when I keep asking stupid questions.

If you're in the Twin Cities, Jason, maybe we could meet over coffee sometime and discuss projects.

Forrest

On Mon, Mar 2, 2020 at 12:35 PM Jason Hallen <hallenj@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi all,

Out of curiosity, are any of you based out of Minnesota?  I'd like to get a sense for who is doing Csound in my neck of the woods.

Thanks!
Jason

Frommichele dp
Subject[Csnd] stuck on full screen mode and no way out
Dear all,

I am asking for help for following situation.
 CSound opens and remains stuck in full screen mode on the manual page; all csd windows are - even if "open"- hidden and not reachable (yesterday I was working on a csd file and I opened the manual as usual, then I did something I do not remember and the problem came).
I tried with ESc, Fn11: no result; also after uninstalling and installing Csound anew no result - I also tried to delete the registry and nothing changes.
The only way I have to shut Csound down is to press the window button and then to close it.
I use Csound Qt 6.14.0 now (the problem happened with 6.13.0) on Win 10.

Thanks a lot,
Michele

Date2020-03-11 08:24
FromTarmo Johannes
SubjectRe: [Csnd] stuck on full screen mode and no way out
Hi!

You are talking about CsoundQt, right? Csound is the core program, CsoundQt the front end. Can you access the menu?
Check View menu and see if any panel is in fullscreen. Or reset the settings from Help menu or reset according settings from windows registry, but I don't know how to do that on Windows...

Hope it is of any help.

Tarmo

K, 11. märts 2020 10:15 michele dp <abendmusik@hotmail.com> kirjutas:
Dear all,

I am asking for help for following situation.
 CSound opens and remains stuck in full screen mode on the manual page; all csd windows are - even if "open"- hidden and not reachable (yesterday I was working on a csd file and I opened the manual as usual, then I did something I do not remember and the problem came).
I tried with ESc, Fn11: no result; also after uninstalling and installing Csound anew no result - I also tried to delete the registry and nothing changes.
The only way I have to shut Csound down is to press the window button and then to close it.
I use Csound Qt 6.14.0 now (the problem happened with 6.13.0) on Win 10.

Thanks a lot,
Michele

Frommichele dp
Subject[Csnd] AW: [Csnd] stuck on full screen mode and no way out
Attachmentsstuck.jpg
Hi Tarmo,
yes, it is CsoundQT. many thanks!
I cannot access anything, no view menu, no help menu... nothing reacts.
I have already tried deleting the registry after uninstalling, but maybe I did not manage to delete everything.
I used the "find" instrument in the Win 10 registry in order to locate the Csound folder.
best regards,
Michele

[...]

SubjectRe: [Csnd] AW: [Csnd] stuck on full screen mode and no way out
I cannot check r7ght now but i think "ctrl alt 2" should change the help panel to full screen/normal.
Tarmo

K, 11. märts 2020 11:16 michele dp <abendmusik@hotmail.com> kirjutas:
[...]

Subject[Csnd] AW: [Csnd] AW: [Csnd] stuck on full screen mode and no way out
thanks Tarmo,
I tried but no effect

[...]

SubjectRe: [Csnd] AW: [Csnd] AW: [Csnd] stuck on full screen mode and no way out
Hi,

Then you can try:
Ctrl + 2 should show/hide  or lower/raise the widgets panel, not sure if it works in full-screen.
Try Ctrl+Alt+1, Ctrl+Alt+0 and others -  maybe some other panel was made fullscreen and somehow the panels state got messed up.
Try to go once again to the registry, on Linux the configuration file is in ~./config/csound/qutecsound.conf - maybe it gives you an idea what to search and the field you should reset is probably dockstate in section GUI

This seems to be a nasty bug I have not heard about before - if you get your way out and you are able to reproduce it, please fill in a issue report:

tarmo

Kontakt michele dp (<abendmusik@hotmail.com>) kirjutas kuupäeval K, 11. märts 2020 kell 12:05:
thanks Tarmo,
I tried but no effect

[...]

Subject[Csnd] AW: [Csnd] AW: [Csnd] AW: [Csnd] stuck on full screen mode and no way out
Hi,
these combinations also did not work - thanks for the advice about the registry, I will double check this again.
As for the issue report: I will see if I am able to do it,
best, Michele

[...]

Subject[Csnd] again on stuck on full screen mode and no way out
Hi Tarmo and all,
I had some benefit from this:
with a stuck full screen on the Csound Manual if I press ALT+SPACE a small dialogue window opens;  then with F4  I can close the Manual.
If a csd is open under the manual I can sometimes have access to it - and if this is the case I can work on the csd file.
I can even open a csd file from the manual (e.g. from the description of an opcode), and this works.
The only problem is then the (graphical) relation between help manual and csd file that let the system collapse.
...the mistery grows...

Best regards,
Michele

[...]

SubjectRe: [Csnd] again on stuck on full screen mode and no way out
Hi,

This is CsoundQt  specific issue. Would you care to continue in the CsoundQt mailing list?
Tarmo

K, 11. märts 2020 18:31 michele dp <abendmusik@hotmail.com> kirjutas:
[...]

Subject[Csnd] AW: [Csnd] again on stuck on full screen mode and no way out
Hi Tarmo,
thanks for your suggestion!
I will continue there.
Best,