From: A discussion list for users of Csound <CSOUND@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE> on behalf of Andreas Bergsland <andreas.bergsland@NTNU.NO>
Reply to: A discussion list for users of Csound <CSOUND@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE>
Date: Saturday, 4 December 2021 at 17:07
To: "CSOUND@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE" <CSOUND@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE>
Subject: [Csnd] New piece for dancer

Hi

I just made a new piece together with a dancer, Seh Yun Kim, that I thought I’d share, if someone is interested. The 4/5  sections are thought to be a part of a larger piece I hope to finish on in the spring.

https://vimeo.com/652909204

Except from the fixed intro the first 1 ½ minutes, the rest is made with csound running as a Cabbage plugin in Reaper. It was presented in 4th order ambisonics over a 23 speaker setup at the ZhdK in Zürich. (I did not use csound for spatialization, though)

A lot of it is playback/treatment of voice and metal samples, and some sounds (birds/animal/wind/fire) are synthesized. The sound was captured by a Zylia mike in the sweet spot of the room, but I don’t think it captured the spatial aspects of the composition very well, unfortunately. Also, the gain was set too high, which resulted in having to substitute the Zylia file with camera sounds in some spots.

Apart from that, I think it documents the piece well.

Comments welcome!

Best, Andreas

--

Andreas Bergsland

Associate professor - førsteamanuensis

Music Technology Programme – Musikkteknologi

Department of Music - Institutt for musikk

Olavskvartalet

NTNU (Norwegian University of Science and Technology)

7491 Trondheim, NORWAY

e-mail: andreas.bergsland@ntnu.no

Office phone (Skype for business):+47 7359 0096

Mobil: +47 4566 3316

Zoom: https://NTNU.zoom.us/my/andreas.bergsland

Web: http://folk.ntnu.no/andbe

VIBRA-project: https://www.vibra.no/

FromOeyvind Brandtsegg
SubjectRe: [Csnd] New piece for dancer
Wow. Great work, Andreas. Nice gestural sonic transformations!
I know it must also have been a technical challenge to make everything run smoothly, but you make it look easy.
All best, hope to see you back in Trondheim soon.
Øyvind

lør. 4. des. 2021 kl. 17:45 skrev Andreas Bergsland <andreas.bergsland@ntnu.no>:

...one important detail I forgot: Apart from the mentioned intro, and some “environmental” sounds (animals/wind/fire), all the sounds in the piece are controlled by the dancer on different levels, although some parameters related to a more over-all compositional development are pre-programmed. The dancer wore two Myo armbands and 3 NGIMU sensors providing the movement data controlling the sounds.

Andreas

From: A discussion list for users of Csound <CSOUND@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE> on behalf of Andreas Bergsland <andreas.bergsland@NTNU.NO>
Reply to: A discussion list for users of Csound <CSOUND@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE>
Date: Saturday, 4 December 2021 at 17:07
To: "CSOUND@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE" <CSOUND@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE>

[...]

FromAndrea Strappa
Subject[Csnd] R: [Csnd] New piece for dancer

Interesting pioneering work!

Andrea S.