[Csnd] csound user input

Date2019-08-02 13:09
Fromfauveboy
Subject[Csnd] csound user input
Hello!

Im aiming to using csound to play/mix/chop samples in my live music
performance (so in real time of course).

I haven't yet come across a way for csound to take user input while the
program is running to get the program to behave in a different way (change k
values, for example).

Can someone please  tell me how to do this?

kind regards,

Sent from: http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csound-General-f1093014.html

FromDave Seidel
SubjectRe: [Csnd] csound user input
There are several ways, including using MIDI controllers and OSC. I have used them both. Csound has a rich set of opcodes for both interfaces. As well, you can build UIs using CsoundQT, blue, Cabbage, and other programs.

On Fri, Aug 2, 2019 at 8:08 AM fauveboy <joel.ramsbottom@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
Hello!

Im aiming to using csound to play/mix/chop samples in my live music
performance (so in real time of course).

I haven't yet come across a way for csound to take user input while the
program is running to get the program to behave in a different way (change k
values, for example).

Can someone please  tell me how to do this?

kind regards,

Sent from: http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csound-General-f1093014.html

Fromfauveboy
SubjectRe: [Csnd] csound user input
I would like to remain using csound within the terminal. Do you reckon osc is
the most suitable option for that (as I don't need to use midi)?

--
Sent from: http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csound-General-f1093014.html

FromOeyvind Brandtsegg
SubjectRe: [Csnd] csound user input
Yes, it sounds like OSC would be good for this use case.

fre. 2. aug. 2019 kl. 15:49 skrev fauveboy <joel.ramsbottom@hotmail.co.uk>:
I would like to remain using csound within the terminal. Do you reckon osc is
the most suitable option for that (as I don't need to use midi)?

--
Sent from: http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csound-General-f1093014.html

SubjectRe: [Csnd] csound user input
You can also type score commands and code directly into the terminal if you wish using -L stdin
Score commands are single lines. Orchestra code needs to be enclosed in brackets ( { } )

Or also use the UDP server

https://csound.com/docs/manual/udpserver.html

with the option --port=

best
Maynooth University,
Maynooth, Co Kildare, Ireland
Tel: 00 353 7086936
Fax: 00 353 1 7086952

> On 2 Aug 2019, at 14:53, Oeyvind Brandtsegg  wrote:
>
> Yes, it sounds like OSC would be good for this use case.
>
> fre. 2. aug. 2019 kl. 15:49 skrev fauveboy :
> I would like to remain using csound within the terminal. Do you reckon osc is
> the most suitable option for that (as I don't need to use midi)?
>

> --
> Sent from: http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csound-General-f1093014.html

From"Jeanette C."
SubjectRe: [Csnd] csound user input
Aug 2 2019, fauveboy has written:

> Hello!
>
> Im aiming to using csound to play/mix/chop samples in my live music
> performance (so in real time of course).
Or you can use sensekey, it's crude, but easy to embed. It will read a
keystroke. You only need to fiind the keycodes, ASCII table or showkey
on Linux/Unix systems.

Through interfacing with Python you could also rig something up. Or
write your own program around it using the software bus opcodes, though
I've never even tried the latter.

Best wishes,

Jeanette

  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c

'Cause I don't have to feel the heat of the sun
To know it's shining on me every day <3
(Britney Spears)

SubjectRe: [Csnd] csound user input
Quick example of the -L stdin with daemon mode.

MacBook-Pro:~ victor$ csound -L stdin -odac --daemon
0dBFS level = 32768.0
--Csound version 6.13 (double samples) Jul 11 2019
[commit: 3df2d74cd7306428acdf89d030e96a3123b7e861]
libsndfile-1.0.28
scoreless operation
rtaudio: PortAudio module enabled ...
using callback interface
rtmidi: PortMIDI module enabled
Elapsed time at end of orchestra compile: real: 0.000s, CPU: 0.000s
sorting score ...
	... done
Elapsed time at end of score sort: real: 0.000s, CPU: 0.000s
graphics suppressed, ascii substituted
0dBFS level = 32768.0
orch now loaded
audio buffered in 1024 sample-frame blocks
PortAudio V19-devel (built Feb 12 2010 09:42:54)
   0: dac0 (Built-in Output [Core Audio])
   1: dac1 (Soundflower (2ch) [Core Audio])
   2: dac2 (Soundflower (64ch) [Core Audio])
   3: dac3 (Aggregate Device [Core Audio])
PortAudio: selected output device 'Built-in Output'
writing 1024 sample blks of 64-bit floats to dac
SECTION 1:
{
::reading orchestra, use '}' to terminate::
instr 1
a1 oscili p4, p5
out a1
endin
}
::compiling orchestra::
i1 0 1 10000 440
  rtevent:	   T 38.661 TT 38.661 M:      0.0
new alloc for instr 1: