[Csnd] Website: Refresh

Subject[Csnd] Website: Refresh
Hi All,

>From the Csound Conference were discussion about the website needing a
refresh.  The design and organization of material were largely born
out of the ICSC 2015 conference.  It has mostly been in maintenance
mode for content and design since then.  It seems like it would be a
good idea at this time to get an idea of criticisms and suggestions to
identify things that could be improved to get users to the right
places more easily.

Some ideas of mine:

1. I think https://p5js.org/ could be a model for our site. I like the
breakdown and visibility of sections and feel like it's easy to get to
the information I want quickly.  The site is clean and stylish, IMO.

2. We have sidebar links in pages like https://csound.com/books.html
which seems cluttered and unnecessary and splits it up from main page
sections. I'd rather see one place for any information rather than
multiple.

3. Community menu has too many dropdown items. Lots of sections are
perhaps to0 finely split and end up confusing where to go.

4. Dr. B made a point about "Contribute" sounding like a monetary
request rather than a volunteering or participation opportunity.
Renaming sounds reasonable, just not sure to what.

5. The front page could have more information on the page.

6. https://csound.com/contribute.html needs completion and better
visibility as people at the conference noted they did not know about
the page. Would be good to direct how to contribute news items (new or
updated software, performances, music releases, etc.), update the
site, work on Csound itself, building plugins, etc.

7. Site design: Could use a refresh for 2019. The original was.a
paid-for theme, with the motivation being that there weren't many
designers in our community and the cost was very little to purchase a
theme. That made sense then. For now, if someone would volunteer for
the design, that would be great, but no shame in purchasing a theme to
get the ball rolling either.

8. Need a site maintainer: mentioned at the conference and elsewhere I
believe. I think this shouldn't be the idea that there is one person
who does everything for the site, but rather someone who is going to
be able to make or review/merge changes as well as tend to the site's
health.  They might be one that identifies problems, reviews issues
reported in the tracker, raises emails here on the list, and so on.
I'd see no problem with having this be recognized on the site (I think
Victor mentioned something like this?), could be a "Maintained by
[your name] and the Csound Community" on the bottom of pages.  So far,
the open source model has been great but very few volunteers at the
moment for the site and it would be good to get more involved in lead
and supporting roles.

9. Branding - Whatever comes from the branding work (thanks James for
your role in this!), we'll need to refresh it on the site. Would be
good to have a page dedicated to branding (logos in different formats,
instructions how to mention and or link to Csound, etc.).

10. Video: related to the discussion on Video tutorials, we need a
place to aggregate them on the site. For example, Reaper has it as a
top-level category that links to a page (http://reaper.fm/videos.php)
that can play the Youtube videos within the page itself.  Something
like that might be nice, especially if the page could dynamically
create the links from Youtube Playlists.

Feedback, criticism, etc. appreciated!

Steven

FromDave Seidel
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Website: Refresh
Instead of Contribute, how about Partipate?

On Sat, Oct 12, 2019, 3:24 PM Steven Yi <stevenyi@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]

the open source model has been great but very few volunteers at the
moment for the site and it would be good to get more involved in lead
and supporting roles.

9. Branding - Whatever comes from the branding work (thanks James for
your role in this!), we'll need to refresh it on the site. Would be
good to have a page dedicated to branding (logos in different formats,
instructions how to mention and or link to Csound, etc.).

10. Video: related to the discussion on Video tutorials, we need a
place to aggregate them on the site. For example, Reaper has it as a
top-level category that links to a page (http://reaper.fm/videos.php)
that can play the Youtube videos within the page itself.  Something
like that might be nice, especially if the page could dynamically
create the links from Youtube Playlists.

FromRory Walsh
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Website: Refresh
Hi Steven. Great points. I wonder could this all become part of the move towards Csound 7. While the devs continue to work on the new version, the wider community could take the initiative and start developing a new website, new docs maybe, new branding, new online content, all focusing on bringing Csound 7 to the masses. The idea being that we would hold off publishing anything until you guys are ready to release the first RC of Csound7. What do you think? I know you guys will need a time to work on and complete Csound 7, but that's Ok, as it will give the community time to work on non-developer stuff.

On Sat, 12 Oct 2019 at 21:01, Dave Seidel <dave.seidel@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]

the open source model has been great but very few volunteers at the
moment for the site and it would be good to get more involved in lead
and supporting roles.

9. Branding - Whatever comes from the branding work (thanks James for
your role in this!), we'll need to refresh it on the site. Would be
good to have a page dedicated to branding (logos in different formats,
instructions how to mention and or link to Csound, etc.).

10. Video: related to the discussion on Video tutorials, we need a
place to aggregate them on the site. For example, Reaper has it as a
top-level category that links to a page (http://reaper.fm/videos.php)
that can play the Youtube videos within the page itself.  Something
like that might be nice, especially if the page could dynamically
create the links from Youtube Playlists.

It'll all depend when we finally decide to vet started and have a target list of stuff to do. Judging by 5->6 I think it was a year and a bit. I'd say a year from when we start.

On 13 Oct 2019, at 17:55, Rory Walsh <rorywalsh@ear.ie> wrote:

Hi Steven. Great points. I wonder could this all become part of the move towards Csound 7. While the devs continue to work on the new version, the wider community could take the initiative and start developing a new website, new docs maybe, new branding, new online content, all focusing on bringing Csound 7 to the masses. The idea being that we would hold off publishing anything until you guys are ready to release the first RC of Csound7. What do you think? I know you guys will need a time to work on and complete Csound 7, but that's Ok, as it will give the community time to work on non-developer stuff.

On Sat, 12 Oct 2019 at 21:01, Dave Seidel <dave.seidel@gmail.com> wrote:
Instead of Contribute, how about Partipate?

On Sat, Oct 12, 2019, 3:24 PM Steven Yi <stevenyi@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi All,

From the Csound Conference were discussion about the website needing a
[...]

when can this start happen?  i have the impression that the move to
csound 7 would give a lot of new energy, and perhaps even get new devs
involved.  i am very much with what rory mentioned about the importance
of this move, and that we should postpone other things in favour of it..

	joachim

On 13/10/19 19:10, Victor Lazzarini wrote:
> [...]
>>         formats,
>>         instructions how to mention and or link to Csound, etc.).
>>
>>         10. Video: related to the discussion on Video tutorials, we need a
>>         place to aggregate them on the site. For example, Reaper has
>>         it as a
>>         top-level category that links to a page
>>         (http://reaper.fm/videos.php)
>>         that can play the Youtube videos within the page itself.
>>         Something
>>         like that might be nice, especially if the page could dynamically
>>         create the links from Youtube Playlists.
>>
>>         Feedback, criticism, etc. appreciated!
>>
>>         Steven
>>
>>         Csound mailing list
>>         Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>>         https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
>>         Send bugs reports to
>>                 https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>>         Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

FromRory Walsh
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Website: Refresh
Btw Steven, I'm also a fan of the p5js site. Mostly because you are never more than a few clicks from a full working example. I don't like how so many links in the current site take you away from the site. The floss manual is such a great resource, but I think it's starting to look a little dated. Not the content, but the current format. I think it would be great to bring most of the floss manual over to the main site, and have working examples, editable and playable online. The manual could be better integrated into the main site too. This might be a lot of work, but the content is already there.

On Mon, 14 Oct 2019 at 07:33, joachim heintz <jh@joachimheintz.de> wrote:
> [...]

>>         instructions how to mention and or link to Csound, etc.).
>>
>>         10. Video: related to the discussion on Video tutorials, we need a
>>         place to aggregate them on the site. For example, Reaper has
>>         it as a
>>         top-level category that links to a page
>>         (http://reaper.fm/videos.php)
>>         that can play the Youtube videos within the page itself.
>>         Something
>>         like that might be nice, especially if the page could dynamically
>>         create the links from Youtube Playlists.
>>
>>         Feedback, criticism, etc. appreciated!
>>
>>         Steven
>>
>>         Csound mailing list
>>         Csound@listserv.heanet.ie <mailto:Csound@listserv.heanet.ie>
>>         https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
>>         Send bugs reports to
>>                 https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>>         Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

FromGuillermo Senna
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Website: Refresh
I recently came across this (https://learningsynths.ableton.com/) and
was very impressed with the effort they put in making it visual and
interactive.

Regarding us, I think that having examples that can run in the browser
and also incorporating interactive widgets and animations could really
make a difference throughout the learning experience. I am currently
exploring this kind of things and I have to say that having those, and
also an oscillogram and a spectrogram
(https://codepen.io/ContemporaryInsanity/pen/Mwvqpb) directly connected
to the Csound output, made it much easier for me while I attempt to
teach things like filters and FM synthesis.

Cheers.

On 14/10/19 18:22, Rory Walsh wrote:
> Btw Steven, I'm also a fan of the p5js site. Mostly because you are never
> more than a few clicks from a full working example. I don't like how so
> many links in the current site take you away from the site. The floss
> manual is such a great resource, but I think it's starting to look a little
> dated. Not the content, but the current format. I think it would be great
> to bring most of the floss manual over to the main site, and have working
> examples, editable and playable online. The manual could be better
> integrated into the main site too. This might be a lot of work, but the
> content is already there.
>
> On Mon, 14 Oct 2019 at 07:33, joachim heintz  wrote:
>
>> when can this start happen?  i have the impression that the move to
>> csound 7 would give a lot of new energy, and perhaps even get new devs
>> involved.  i am very much with what rory mentioned about the importance
>> of this move, and that we should postpone other things in favour of it..
>>
>>         joachim
>>

>> On 13/10/19 19:10, Victor Lazzarini wrote:
>>> It'll all depend when we finally decide to vet started and have a target
>>> list of stuff to do. Judging by 5->6 I think it was a year and a bit.
>>> I'd say a year from when we start.
>>>
>>> Prof. Victor Lazzarini
>>> Maynooth University
>>> Ireland

>> than

>> monetary

>> better
>> the

>> many

>> by

>> need a
>> dynamically

>>> Csound mailing list Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>>>
>>> https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND Send bugs reports to
>>> https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features
>>> can be posted here
>> Csound mailing list
>> Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>> Send bugs reports to
>>         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

SubjectRe: [Csnd] Website: Refresh
great example, guillermo!

yes i would love to see the floss manual more integrated.  i was
discussing with hlödver at the csound conference how we can get a
version which plays the examples in the browser.  perhaps we can have
this version at github as part of the csound organization.

and i started with some students to update and improve the current text.
  this version is at
https://en.flossmanuals.net/csound/_info/

i am currently mainly working on improving the figures.  tomorrow we
have a meeting to update the Quick Start section.  but there is much
more to improve, to update and perhaps even to write new chapters.  if
anyone wants to contribute anything, please email me off-list.

	joachim

On 14/10/19 23:55, Guillermo Senna wrote:
> I recently came across this (https://learningsynths.ableton.com/) and
> was very impressed with the effort they put in making it visual and
> interactive.
>
> Regarding us, I think that having examples that can run in the browser
> and also incorporating interactive widgets and animations could really
> make a difference throughout the learning experience. I am currently
> exploring this kind of things and I have to say that having those, and
> also an oscillogram and a spectrogram
> (https://codepen.io/ContemporaryInsanity/pen/Mwvqpb) directly connected
> to the Csound output, made it much easier for me while I attempt to
> teach things like filters and FM synthesis.
>
> Cheers.
>
> On 14/10/19 18:22, Rory Walsh wrote:
>> Btw Steven, I'm also a fan of the p5js site. Mostly because you are never
>> more than a few clicks from a full working example. I don't like how so
>> many links in the current site take you away from the site. The floss
>> manual is such a great resource, but I think it's starting to look a little
>> dated. Not the content, but the current format. I think it would be great
>> to bring most of the floss manual over to the main site, and have working
>> examples, editable and playable online. The manual could be better
>> integrated into the main site too. This might be a lot of work, but the
>> content is already there.
>>
>> On Mon, 14 Oct 2019 at 07:33, joachim heintz  wrote:
>>
>>> when can this start happen?  i have the impression that the move to
>>> csound 7 would give a lot of new energy, and perhaps even get new devs
>>> involved.  i am very much with what rory mentioned about the importance
>>> of this move, and that we should postpone other things in favour of it..
>>>
>>>         joachim

>>> than

>>> monetary

>>> better
>>> the

>>> many

>>> by

>>> need a
>>> dynamically

>>> Csound mailing list
>>> Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>>> Send bugs reports to
>>>         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>>>
>> Csound mailing list
>> Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>> Send bugs reports to
>>         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

FromRory Walsh
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Website: Refresh
I have some interactive animations I use for explaining certain aspects of digital audio to my students, but I can't see how they will work in the floss manual, which doesn't seem to allow embedding of js scripts. I think we need to start looking at hosting all this content on the main site.