[Csnd] [ANN] Learn Synthesis Website

Subject[Csnd] [ANN] Learn Synthesis Website
Hi All,

I thought I'd mention a new website I'm putting together for learning
(and teaching) synthesis. The site is hosted at:

https://kunstmusik.github.io/learn-synthesis/

with source code at:

https://github.com/kunstmusik/learn-synthesis

The site is written using React and auto-deployed via Github Actions.
So far I have just a simple additive synthesis page that has 16
harmonics for users to set by decibel.  Fundamental is fixed to 200
Hz. There's an on/off set of buttons for having an instrument instance
turn on the instrument continuously as well as a trigger button that
users can use to hear the sound with an envelope. Double-clicking a
slider will reset the value to -60 dB (note: I'm processing -60 as 0
amplitude).

This code was started last night so that I can have my students
explore working with harmonics with a GUI-based tool and matching it
up with spectral analysis of sounds from Audacity. (I had taught this
way last year but wanted to add a GUI tool this term for quicker
experimentation to start before they get to coding additive synthesis
instruments.)

Currently the initial page goes directly to the additive synthesis
page. Over the next 5 weeks I'll be adding other pages for
subtractive, modulation, sample-based, and granular synthesis to go
along with the course. I'll be designing the pages for my teaching
needs first but I'd like to eventually fill it in with more
documentation and references (FLOSS Manual, Csound Ref manual, other
resources) to make it work for self-study as well.

Hope the site may be useful in general and the source code may be of
interest for those looking to start their own React+Csound sites.

All best!
Steven

SubjectRe: [Csnd] [ANN] Learn Synthesis Website
(Ah, and already I find my first bug in that Safari is giving a major
buzzing sound. Oof!  Does work well in Firefox and Chrome here
however.)

On Tue, Sep 1, 2020 at 7:26 AM Steven Yi  wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I thought I'd mention a new website I'm putting together for learning
> (and teaching) synthesis. The site is hosted at:
>
> https://kunstmusik.github.io/learn-synthesis/
>
> with source code at:
>
> https://github.com/kunstmusik/learn-synthesis
>
> The site is written using React and auto-deployed via Github Actions.
> So far I have just a simple additive synthesis page that has 16
> harmonics for users to set by decibel.  Fundamental is fixed to 200
> Hz. There's an on/off set of buttons for having an instrument instance
> turn on the instrument continuously as well as a trigger button that
> users can use to hear the sound with an envelope. Double-clicking a
> slider will reset the value to -60 dB (note: I'm processing -60 as 0
> amplitude).
>
> This code was started last night so that I can have my students
> explore working with harmonics with a GUI-based tool and matching it
> up with spectral analysis of sounds from Audacity. (I had taught this
> way last year but wanted to add a GUI tool this term for quicker
> experimentation to start before they get to coding additive synthesis
> instruments.)
>
> Currently the initial page goes directly to the additive synthesis
> page. Over the next 5 weeks I'll be adding other pages for
> subtractive, modulation, sample-based, and granular synthesis to go
> along with the course. I'll be designing the pages for my teaching
> needs first but I'd like to eventually fill it in with more
> documentation and references (FLOSS Manual, Csound Ref manual, other
> resources) to make it work for self-study as well.
>
> Hope the site may be useful in general and the source code may be of
> interest for those looking to start their own React+Csound sites.
>
> All best!
> Steven

Fromfrancesco
SubjectRe: [Csnd] [ANN] Learn Synthesis Website
Great!

As usual ...

Many thanks for all your work.

ciao,

francesco

SubjectRe: [Csnd] [ANN] Learn Synthesis Website
Thanks!

I should note that I fixed the Safari issue (I had not set nchnls=2;
something I'll have to investigate further for ScriptProcessorNode in
WebAudio Csound I think). If you previously loaded the site in Safari,
a refresh of the page should reload and get the fixed version.

On Tue, Sep 1, 2020 at 11:56 AM francesco
 wrote:

> Great!
>
> As usual ...
>
> Many thanks for all your work.
>
> ciao,
>
> francesco

FromOeyvind Brandtsegg
SubjectRe: [Csnd] [ANN] Learn Synthesis Website
Thanks so much, I am on the verge of porting the DSP online course http://gdsp.hf.ntnu.no/ (from 2011) to a new platform and this seems it could be of great help.

tir. 1. sep. 2020 kl. 13:26 skrev Steven Yi <stevenyi@gmail.com>:
[...]

That's great news! If you do look at this code and have any questions
please don't hesitate to ask.  I'll be happy to assist as I'd love to
see where this could all go.