[Csnd] 5.1 to stereo (binaural 2d?)

Date2020-06-07 00:05
From"Jeanette C."
Subject[Csnd] 5.1 to stereo (binaural 2d?)
Hey hey,
I'd like to convert a few 5.1 audio files to stereo, possibly with some
remance of the 2d aspect. After some search I found a simple recipe for 5.1 to
stereo:
mix front left and right as stereo, add centre with -3DB add the rear channels
respectively with -6DB and - if you like - the LFE (.1 channel) with -8DB to
both sides.

I'm sure this will get a more or less good stereo representation. But I tried
to do it with HRTF placing the channels around the listerener. The result was
quite bad and narrow. As angles I chose -45,45 for front left and right, 0 for
centre, -135 and 135 for rear left and right and added the LFE without HRTF to
both channels at lower volume.

I saw different angles mentioned: 22.5 or 30 degrees for video and 110 degrees
for music 5.1 . Especially the latter sounds odd, it should be 80 degrees for
front right. So now I'm confused...

Can someone put a little order into this jungle, please?

Thanks and best wishes,

Jeanette

  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c

Baby, take the time to realize
I'm not the kind to sacrifice <3
(Britney Spears)

FromJosh Moore
SubjectRe: [Csnd] 5.1 to stereo (binaural 2d?)
This is the best suite yet for this, they are vst.

Maybe if we asked nicely IEM would let us and they could make them an opcode. But I just load em in pd with vst~

https://plugins.iem.at/

On Sat, Jun 6, 2020, 4:05 PM Jeanette C. <julien@mail.upb.de> wrote:
[...]

FromGiuseppe Silvi <000006613a17e48d-dmarc-request@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE>
SubjectRe: [Csnd] 5.1 to stereo (binaural 2d?)
Hi,
You can use the convolution of each channel with proper angled IR taken from an HRIR library and sum them in left and right stems. The advantage of this method could be, using a realtime convolver (reverb) inside a daw, to have the same instruments you often use to mastering to balance the binaural master listening to it through your headphones.

Here attached

https://www.dropbox.com/s/si54q9rkvtwif7k/5dot0.zip?dl=0

Kemar impulses for 0, 30, 110 degrees… Why 110 degrees? I personally suggest to not push too back the surrounds and enhance the laterality. The LFE… you can route it to the center L0 and R0.

Speaking about levels, you can start with the center at -3dB and then mix all the channels as your feelings.

Nevertheless, I never tried what I wrote above.

Happy surrounding
Giuseppe

> On 7 Jun 2020, at 01:05, Jeanette C.  wrote:
>
> Hey hey,
> I'd like to convert a few 5.1 audio files to stereo, possibly with some remance of the 2d aspect. After some search I found a simple recipe for 5.1 to stereo:
> mix front left and right as stereo, add centre with -3DB add the rear channels respectively with -6DB and - if you like - the LFE (.1 channel) with -8DB to both sides.
>
> I'm sure this will get a more or less good stereo representation. But I tried to do it with HRTF placing the channels around the listerener. The result was quite bad and narrow. As angles I chose -45,45 for front left and right, 0 for centre, -135 and 135 for rear left and right and added the LFE without HRTF to both channels at lower volume.
>
> I saw different angles mentioned: 22.5 or 30 degrees for video and 110 degrees for music 5.1 . Especially the latter sounds odd, it should be 80 degrees for front right. So now I'm confused...
>
> Can someone put a little order into this jungle, please?
>
> Thanks and best wishes,
>
> Jeanette
>
> --
> * Website: http://juliencoder.de - for summer is a state of sound
> * Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMS4rfGrTwz8W7jhC1Jnv7g
> * SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/jeanette_c
> * Twitter: https://twitter.com/jeanette_c_s
> * Audiobombs: https://www.audiobombs.com/users/jeanette_c
> * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c
>
> Baby, take the time to realize
> I'm not the kind to sacrifice <3
> (Britney Spears)

>       https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

FromGiuseppe Silvi <000006613a17e48d-dmarc-request@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE>
SubjectRe: [Csnd] 5.1 to stereo (binaural 2d?)
Hello Again,
I made curious by myself so I made a Reaper project to test it.
You have it here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pbz49ny04ik5fx8/5dot1toBinaural.zip?dl=0

It seems to do what expected.

Best