[Csnd] When do you use faust?

Date2021-09-16 16:20
FromIain Duncan
Subject[Csnd] When do you use faust?
Hi folks, hoping to solicit some subjective opinions here. I'm interested to hear when and why you use faust within csound. I don't know it yet, but have been curious about it for a while. the fact that one can use faust in csound, Max, and max's gen, as well as standalone seems compelling, but I don't really know for what it excels.

(looking forward to receiving my copy of Victor's book with the csound, python, and faust examples!)

thanks
iain

SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd] When do you use faust?
To my use, faust is good for implementing DSP that would be slow if implemented with a UDO. However there are
the issues that spectral processing in the way we do in Csound (streaming, overlapping analysis) and oversampling
are not possible currently in faust.

Btw, I don’t use Faust in the latest book, but Python and Csound. I used it in an earlier volume though.

> On 16 Sep 2021, at 16:20, Iain Duncan  wrote:
>
> WARNINGThis email originated from outside of Maynooth University's Mail System. Do not reply, click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.
> Hi folks, hoping to solicit some subjective opinions here. I'm interested to hear when and why you use faust within csound. I don't know it yet, but have been curious about it for a while. the fact that one can use faust in csound, Max, and max's gen, as well as standalone seems compelling, but I don't really know for what it excels.
>
> (looking forward to receiving my copy of Victor's book with the csound, python, and faust examples!)
>
> thanks
> iain

FromIain Duncan
SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd] When do you use faust?
Thanks Victor, good to know. I ordered two, the Spectral book and the first volume of designing computer instruments (which has Faust and Python, correct?). Looking forward to them!

On Thu, Sep 16, 2021 at 9:35 AM Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
To my use, faust is good for implementing DSP that would be slow if implemented with a UDO. However there are
the issues that spectral processing in the way we do in Csound (streaming, overlapping analysis) and oversampling
are not possible currently in faust.

Btw, I don’t use Faust in the latest book, but Python and Csound. I used it in an earlier volume though.

> On 16 Sep 2021, at 16:20, Iain Duncan <iainduncanlists@GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
> WARNINGThis email originated from outside of Maynooth University's Mail System. Do not reply, click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.
> Hi folks, hoping to solicit some subjective opinions here. I'm interested to hear when and why you use faust within csound. I don't know it yet, but have been curious about it for a while. the fact that one can use faust in csound, Max, and max's gen, as well as standalone seems compelling, but I don't really know for what it excels.
>
> (looking forward to receiving my copy of Victor's book with the csound, python, and faust examples!)
>
> thanks
> iain

SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd] When do you use faust?
That's right, that is the one.