[Csnd] Multiple earphones

Date2020-08-04 06:11
FromForrest Curo
Subject[Csnd] Multiple earphones
I have two usb midi keyboards, two earphones, and three output jacks available to my computer

I want to distribute the audio, using csound with jack on ubuntu, so two of us can play together hearing the same sounds.

Is there a simple way to do this? (Aside from using speakers?)

Forrest Curo
San Diego

From"Jeanette C."
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Multiple earphones
Aug 4 2020, Forrest Curo has written:
> I want to distribute the audio, using csound with jack on ubuntu, so two of
> us can play together hearing the same sounds.

There is the whole out family. The opcode out itself can output a number
of audio signals as a list or an array. You could set chnls to 4 and
output the same pair of audio signals twice. Maybe even with different
gain controls.

If the sound you produce doesn't come from Csound directly, there are
possibly quite a few simpler ways to connect your "sound" to multiple
JACK playback ports. Even using Csound, you _COULD_ externally connect
the stereo Csound ports to another pair of JACK playback ports. Using
the system opcode you could even do it from within Csound.

Does any of this help?

Best wishes,

Jeanette

  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c

What's practical is logical. What the hell, who cares?
All I know is I'm so happy when you're dancing there. <3
(Britney Spears)

FromJosh Moore
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Multiple earphones
I like outch, you get to specify which out you need and it's more in line with how interfaces work as you use mono pairs. Ie

outch 1, alouta
outch 2, arouta
outch 3, aloutb
outch 4, aroutb

And so on

On Mon, Aug 3, 2020, 11:09 PM Jeanette C. <julien@mail.upb.de> wrote:
Aug 4 2020, Forrest Curo has written:
> I want to distribute the audio, using csound with jack on ubuntu, so two of
> us can play together hearing the same sounds.

There is the whole out family. The opcode out itself can output a number
of audio signals as a list or an array. You could set chnls to 4 and
output the same pair of audio signals twice. Maybe even with different
gain controls.

If the sound you produce doesn't come from Csound directly, there are
possibly quite a few simpler ways to connect your "sound" to multiple
JACK playback ports. Even using Csound, you _COULD_ externally connect
the stereo Csound ports to another pair of JACK playback ports. Using
the system opcode you could even do it from within Csound.

Does any of this help?

Best wishes,

Jeanette

  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c

What's practical is logical. What the hell, who cares?
All I know is I'm so happy when you're dancing there. <3
(Britney Spears)

FromForrest Curo
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Multiple earphones
I like both suggestions... I start up qjackctl
and look at patchbay;
when I start csound I immediately see two 'readabke clients' under 'audio' labled csound.6 and system
Presumably with 4 outches I'd have four of these? Hmm, simply setting nchnls=4, I do see 4, but only two 'system' ports to connect to.

What I'm missing, then, is how to persuade jack to assign two pairs of 'writable clients' to two alsa hardware 'clients' (?)

On Tue, Aug 4, 2020 at 3:12 AM Josh Moore <kh405.7h30ry@gmail.com> wrote:
I like outch, you get to specify which out you need and it's more in line with how interfaces work as you use mono pairs. Ie

outch 1, alouta
outch 2, arouta
outch 3, aloutb
outch 4, aroutb

And so on

On Mon, Aug 3, 2020, 11:09 PM Jeanette C. <julien@mail.upb.de> wrote:
Aug 4 2020, Forrest Curo has written:
> I want to distribute the audio, using csound with jack on ubuntu, so two of
> us can play together hearing the same sounds.

There is the whole out family. The opcode out itself can output a number
of audio signals as a list or an array. You could set chnls to 4 and
output the same pair of audio signals twice. Maybe even with different
gain controls.

If the sound you produce doesn't come from Csound directly, there are
possibly quite a few simpler ways to connect your "sound" to multiple
JACK playback ports. Even using Csound, you _COULD_ externally connect
the stereo Csound ports to another pair of JACK playback ports. Using
the system opcode you could even do it from within Csound.

Does any of this help?

Best wishes,

Jeanette

  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c

What's practical is logical. What the hell, who cares?
All I know is I'm so happy when you're dancing there. <3
(Britney Spears)

FromGuillermo Senna
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Multiple earphones

Do you have one audio interface or two? If you have only one (capable) audio interface, up the count in qjackctl -> setup -> settings -> advanced -> channels

On 4/8/20 15:15, Forrest Curo wrote:
[...]

https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND Send bugs reports to
https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features
can be posted here

FromForrest Curo
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Multiple earphones
I've got 3 hardware outputs available. Pulseaudio has a listing for each.

Okay, now I've gone to advanced-> channels and upped the count ...  All outputs are choices in the list under "Output Device", but there's room there to show exactly one.

How to make two choices both available?

On Tue, Aug 4, 2020 at 11:28 AM Guillermo Senna <gsenna@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Jack is not meant to be used with multiple audio devices. But you can try the alsa_in/alsa_out method (https://jackaudio.org/faq/multiple_devices.html) or the audioadapter method with jack2 (https://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?p=95025#p95025 ).

Cheers.

On Mon, Aug 3, 2020, 11:09 PM Jeanette C. <julien@mail.upb.de> <julien@mail.upb.de> wrote:

[...]

AttachmentsScreenshot from 2020-08-04 13-11-55.png
Okay, aplay -l and alsa_out did the job.
Screenshot from 2020-08-04 13-11-55.png
No changes to csound needed; both 'clients' are playing fine!