[Csnd] [semi-OT] New "Piece"

Date2019-10-26 20:08
FromArthur Hunkins <000001e1d761dea2-dmarc-request@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE>
Subject[Csnd] [semi-OT] New "Piece"
Semi-announcing my latest creative endeavor:
FROM A DREAM for pitched percussion - 1, 2 or 4 players
Info, including simulated demo recording, at top of composition list at: http://arthunkins.com

Of relevance here, are the Csound simulated renditions used for the demo. This project, especially the Csound part of it, represented a STEEP learning curve for me. I had *hoped* to make one all inclusive .csd for Canonical Csound and both older and new Csound for Android. (Or at the most, two.) I ended up needing three .csd's (two for old and new Androids).

The main challenges involved working with both STK (raw) and soundfont samples (for the instrument simulations), and relative vs. absolute paths (Android doesn't do relative!). These are all handled differently by the three classes of OS. Bottom line: Canonical is a breeze, Android is a hassle when it comes to working with samples.

Thanks to Mike G. for pointing me to the necessity of using complete paths on Android. (Hint: you can't even put a sample into the home directory without a complete path!)

Two final goodies: 1) a good number of the instruments (including the 4 acoustic pianos) in st_GMbank2.sf don't work correctly in Android; 2) (STK) .raw waves require different format values in the different platforms, and converting them to .wav (as is done in the manual examples) can prove problematic for related reasons (I ended up using only .raw).

It could be instructive to compare the beginning and ending of the Csound code in the three .csd's; these are the parts which deal with the two types of sample. (An incredible number of hours went into them!)

FromJustin Rosander
SubjectRe: [Csnd] [semi-OT] New "Piece"

Nice.  Reminds me of “Little Brown Jug”.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

Subject[Csnd] Fwd: [semi-OT] New "Piece"
Clarification re: prior email. I said:
"Thanks to Mike G. for pointing me to the necessity of using complete paths on Android. (Hint: you can't even put a sample into the home directory without a complete path!)"

Actually, you *can* add a sample (or presumably other files as well) to the home directory (Music) in previous versions of Csound for Android without a path, *just not in the latest*. The current distribution always requires a complete path.

[...]

Yet one more clarification about Csound for Android:
Previous versions do relative paths perfectly well; it's only the current distribution that always requires complete paths.

Sorry for all the confusion. "Over and *out*"