[Csnd] Csound and Mac

Date2021-10-16 22:18
FromPartev Sarkissian <0000060b2ef1338e-dmarc-request@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE>
Subject[Csnd] Csound and Mac

Got a new Mac laptop, running 10.15.7 OS.
What version of Csound would be good for this OS???

Thanks,
-PBS

From"Dr. Richard Boulanger"
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Csound and Mac
I (and my students) am/are using the latest version 6.16.2 - and the latest Csound Qt (you might ask Tarmo to share his Release Candidates with you too - I am on rc2) and the latest Cabbage 2.8.21 (beta)

- Dr.B

Dr. Richard Boulanger

Professor

Electronic Production and Design

Berklee College of Music

Professional Writing & Technology Division

On Sat, Oct 16, 2021 at 5:19 PM Partev Sarkissian <0000060b2ef1338e-dmarc-request@listserv.heanet.ie> wrote:

Got a new Mac laptop, running 10.15.7 OS.
What version of Csound would be good for this OS???

Thanks,
-PBS

FromPartev Sarkissian <0000060b2ef1338e-dmarc-request@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE>
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Csound and Mac

Very good. my other computer has Qt on it. The more recent one
looks like Qt 0.9.6-2, I'll try that. My OS is the next to the latest pre M1,
a quad core from last year.

Thanks Dr B. Maybe see you at the next NAMM in Anaheim again.

-PBS

I (and my students) am/are using the latest version 6.16.2 - and the latest Csound Qt (you might ask Tarmo to share his Release Candidates with you too - I am on rc2) and the latest Cabbage 2.8.21 (beta)

- Dr.B

Dr. Richard Boulanger
Professor
Electronic Production and Design
Berklee College of Music
Professional Writing & Technology Division

On Sat, Oct 16, 2021 at 5:19 PM Partev Sarkissian <0000060b2ef1338e-dmarc-request@listserv.heanet.ie> wrote:

Got a new Mac laptop, running 10.15.7 OS.
What version of Csound would be good for this OS???

Thanks,
-PBS

FromPartev Sarkissian <0000060b2ef1338e-dmarc-request@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE>
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Csound and Mac

Dr B,

I keep getting a "developer cannot be verified" message so it won't let me
open the dmg package. Weird. I'm also going to email Tarmo. Has to be a solution.

Thanks,
-PBS

I (and my students) am/are using the latest version 6.16.2 - and the latest Csound Qt (you might ask Tarmo to share his Release Candidates with you too - I am on rc2) and the latest Cabbage 2.8.21 (beta)

- Dr.B

Dr. Richard Boulanger
Professor
Electronic Production and Design
Berklee College of Music
Professional Writing & Technology Division

On Sat, Oct 16, 2021 at 5:19 PM Partev Sarkissian <0000060b2ef1338e-dmarc-request@listserv.heanet.ie> wrote:

Got a new Mac laptop, running 10.15.7 OS.
What version of Csound would be good for this OS???

Thanks,
-PBS

SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] Re: [Csnd] Csound and Mac
The code is not signed but you can install
and run it. Just need to authorise it in the system preferences security options.

On 16 Oct 2021, at 22:51, Partev Sarkissian <0000060b2ef1338e-dmarc-request@listserv.heanet.ie> wrote:

*Warning*

This email originated from outside of Maynooth University's Mail System. Do not reply, click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.

[...]

Thanks
Saw something like that. I'll go back in and check it again.

-PBS

I (and my students) am/are using the latest version 6.16.2 - and the latest Csound Qt (you might ask Tarmo to share his Release Candidates with you too - I am on rc2) and the latest Cabbage 2.8.21 (beta)

- Dr.B

Dr. Richard Boulanger
Professor
Electronic Production and Design
Berklee College of Music
Professional Writing & Technology Division

On Sat, Oct 16, 2021 at 5:19 PM Partev Sarkissian <0000060b2ef1338e-dmarc-request@listserv.heanet.ie> wrote:

Got a new Mac laptop, running 10.15.7 OS.
What version of Csound would be good for this OS???

Thanks,
-PBS

From"Dr. Richard Boulanger"
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Csound and Mac
That's not the latest Qt...  option click or ctrl-click to open and try open with - they did not sign the apps when they distributed them for the mac

On Sat, Oct 16, 2021 at 5:29 PM Partev Sarkissian <0000060b2ef1338e-dmarc-request@listserv.heanet.ie> wrote:

[...]

FromTarmo Johannes
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Csound and Mac
Hi!

Shame on me -  there was no news about CsoundQt 0.9.8.1 on the opening page of CsoundQt home page, hence the confusion. Added now.

tarmo

Kontakt Dr. Richard Boulanger (<rboulanger@berklee.edu>) kirjutas kuupäeval P, 17. oktoober 2021 kell 06:06:
[...]

Tried those suggestions. I must be missing something.
Still won't install. Hmmm,....
Thinking face

I (and my students) am/are using the latest version 6.16.2 - and the latest Csound Qt (you might ask Tarmo to share his Release Candidates with you too - I am on rc2) and the latest Cabbage 2.8.21 (beta)

- Dr.B

Dr. Richard Boulanger
Professor
Electronic Production and Design
Berklee College of Music
Professional Writing & Technology Division

On Sat, Oct 16, 2021 at 5:19 PM Partev Sarkissian <0000060b2ef1338e-dmarc-request@listserv.heanet.ie> wrote:

Got a new Mac laptop, running 10.15.7 OS.
What version of Csound would be good for this OS???

Thanks,
-PBS

FromPartev Sarkissian <0000060b2ef1338e-dmarc-request@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE>
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Csound and Mac

Mac 10.15.7 OS, i5,... so it's a pre M1 machine from last year.
What am I forgetting???
Thinking face

-PBS

Tried those suggestions. I must be missing something.
Still won't install. Hmmm,....
Thinking face

I (and my students) am/are using the latest version 6.16.2 - and the latest Csound Qt (you might ask Tarmo to share his Release Candidates with you too - I am on rc2) and the latest Cabbage 2.8.21 (beta)

- Dr.B

Dr. Richard Boulanger
Professor
Electronic Production and Design
Berklee College of Music
Professional Writing & Technology Division

On Sat, Oct 16, 2021 at 5:19 PM Partev Sarkissian <0000060b2ef1338e-dmarc-request@listserv.heanet.ie> wrote:

Got a new Mac laptop, running 10.15.7 OS.
What version of Csound would be good for this OS???

Thanks,
-PBS

SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd] Csound and Mac
Perhaps if you tell us exactly what is happening when you try starting CsoundQT?

Normally, at the first time it won’t be allowed to run. Then you have to open the Security & Privacy settings and
set to “allow apps from anywhere”, then it either shows an option to run CsoundQT there or you have to run
it again. If it is not allowed again, just go back to the settings and there you should be able to authorise it.

I am assuming you have installed both Csound AND CsoundQT, which is what you need to do.

> On 18 Oct 2021, at 01:01, Partev Sarkissian <0000060b2ef1338e-dmarc-request@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE> wrote:
>
> WARNINGThis email originated from outside of Maynooth University's Mail System. Do not reply, click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.
>
> Mac 10.15.7 OS, i5,... so it's a pre M1 machine from last year.
> What am I forgetting???
>

> -PBS

FromRory Walsh
SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd] Csound and Mac
Alternatively, just right-click the pkg and select open.

On Mon, 18 Oct 2021 at 09:23, Victor Lazzarini  wrote:

> Perhaps if you tell us exactly what is happening when you try starting CsoundQT?
>
> Normally, at the first time it won’t be allowed to run. Then you have to open the Security & Privacy settings and
> set to “allow apps from anywhere”, then it either shows an option to run CsoundQT there or you have to run
> it again. If it is not allowed again, just go back to the settings and there you should be able to authorise it.
>
> I am assuming you have installed both Csound AND CsoundQT, which is what you need to do.
> ========================
>
> > On 18 Oct 2021, at 01:01, Partev Sarkissian <0000060b2ef1338e-dmarc-request@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE> wrote:
> >
> > WARNINGThis email originated from outside of Maynooth University's Mail System. Do not reply, click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.
> >
> > Mac 10.15.7 OS, i5,... so it's a pre M1 machine from last year.
> > What am I forgetting???
> >

> > -PBS

pkg? I thought he was having trouble running the CsoundQT app.

> On 18 Oct 2021, at 09:25, Rory Walsh  wrote:
>
> Alternatively, just right-click the pkg and select open.
>
> On Mon, 18 Oct 2021 at 09:23, Victor Lazzarini  wrote:
>>
>> Perhaps if you tell us exactly what is happening when you try starting CsoundQT?
>>
>> Normally, at the first time it won’t be allowed to run. Then you have to open the Security & Privacy settings and
>> set to “allow apps from anywhere”, then it either shows an option to run CsoundQT there or you have to run
>> it again. If it is not allowed again, just go back to the settings and there you should be able to authorise it.
>>
>> I am assuming you have installed both Csound AND CsoundQT, which is what you need to do.
>> ========================
>> Prof. Victor Lazzarini
>> Maynooth University
>> Ireland
>>
>>> On 18 Oct 2021, at 01:01, Partev Sarkissian <0000060b2ef1338e-dmarc-request@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE> wrote:
>>>
>>> WARNINGThis email originated from outside of Maynooth University's Mail System. Do not reply, click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.
>>>
>>> Mac 10.15.7 OS, i5,... so it's a pre M1 machine from last year.
>>> What am I forgetting???
>>>

>>> -PBS

FromRory Walsh
SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd] Csound and Mac
Sorry, I thought he couldn't get past the installer. My bad.

On Mon, 18 Oct 2021 at 09:53, Victor Lazzarini  wrote:

> pkg? I thought he was having trouble running the CsoundQT app.
> ========================
>
> > On 18 Oct 2021, at 09:25, Rory Walsh  wrote:
> >
> > Alternatively, just right-click the pkg and select open.
> >
> > On Mon, 18 Oct 2021 at 09:23, Victor Lazzarini  wrote:
> >>
> >> Perhaps if you tell us exactly what is happening when you try starting CsoundQT?
> >>
> >> Normally, at the first time it won’t be allowed to run. Then you have to open the Security & Privacy settings and
> >> set to “allow apps from anywhere”, then it either shows an option to run CsoundQT there or you have to run
> >> it again. If it is not allowed again, just go back to the settings and there you should be able to authorise it.
> >>
> >> I am assuming you have installed both Csound AND CsoundQT, which is what you need to do.
> >> ========================
> >> Prof. Victor Lazzarini
> >> Maynooth University
> >> Ireland

Package opens, and installs, now it's "CsoundQt-d-html-sc6"
that brings up another security error and won't let me by no
matter how much I turn off security.
Thinking face I'm perplexed.

-Partev

On Mon, 18 Oct 2021 at 09:53, Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:

> pkg? I thought he was having trouble running the CsoundQT app.
> ========================
>
> > On 18 Oct 2021, at 09:25, Rory Walsh <rorywalsh@ear.ie> wrote:
> >
> > Alternatively, just right-click the pkg and select open.
> >
> > On Mon, 18 Oct 2021 at 09:23, Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
> >>
> >> Perhaps if you tell us exactly what is happening when you try starting CsoundQT?
> >>
> >> Normally, at the first time it won’t be allowed to run. Then you have to open the Security & Privacy settings and
> >> set to “allow apps from anywhere”, then it either shows an option to run CsoundQT there or you have to run
> >> it again. If it is not allowed again, just go back to the settings and there you should be able to authorise it.
> >>
> >> I am assuming you have installed both Csound AND CsoundQT, which is what you need to do.
> >> ========================
> >> Prof. Victor Lazzarini
> >> Maynooth University
> >> Ireland

Do I need to download the source code zip as well?

Thanks guys,
-Partev

Sorry, I thought he couldn't get past the installer. My bad.

On Mon, 18 Oct 2021 at 09:53, Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:

> pkg? I thought he was having trouble running the CsoundQT app.
> ========================
>
> > On 18 Oct 2021, at 09:25, Rory Walsh <rorywalsh@ear.ie> wrote:
> >
> > Alternatively, just right-click the pkg and select open.
> >
> > On Mon, 18 Oct 2021 at 09:23, Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
> >>
> >> Perhaps if you tell us exactly what is happening when you try starting CsoundQT?
> >>
> >> Normally, at the first time it won’t be allowed to run. Then you have to open the Security & Privacy settings and
> >> set to “allow apps from anywhere”, then it either shows an option to run CsoundQT there or you have to run
> >> it again. If it is not allowed again, just go back to the settings and there you should be able to authorise it.
> >>
> >> I am assuming you have installed both Csound AND CsoundQT, which is what you need to do.
> >> ========================
> >> Prof. Victor Lazzarini
> >> Maynooth University
> >> Ireland

Interesting,... Version 0.9.8.1 using the Python package seems to work.
Tried a couple examples, gives me a
" *** PortAudio: error: -9998: Invalid number of channels" message.
Feel like I'm going to have go back to the beginning to learn this all
over again. Should be interesting, hope this works better than on my
previous computer.

I'll be in touch further. Thanks guys.

-Partev

Do I need to download the source code zip as well?

Thanks guys,
-Partev

Sorry, I thought he couldn't get past the installer. My bad.

On Mon, 18 Oct 2021 at 09:53, Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:

> pkg? I thought he was having trouble running the CsoundQT app.
> ========================
>
> > On 18 Oct 2021, at 09:25, Rory Walsh <rorywalsh@ear.ie> wrote:
> >
> > Alternatively, just right-click the pkg and select open.
> >
> > On Mon, 18 Oct 2021 at 09:23, Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
> >>
> >> Perhaps if you tell us exactly what is happening when you try starting CsoundQT?
> >>
> >> Normally, at the first time it won’t be allowed to run. Then you have to open the Security & Privacy settings and
> >> set to “allow apps from anywhere”, then it either shows an option to run CsoundQT there or you have to run
> >> it again. If it is not allowed again, just go back to the settings and there you should be able to authorise it.
> >>
> >> I am assuming you have installed both Csound AND CsoundQT, which is what you need to do.
> >> ========================
> >> Prof. Victor Lazzarini
> >> Maynooth University
> >> Ireland

Thank you everyone.
This version on this computer works better than on my last computer.
Getting back into the thick of it again. Doing better now.

Thank you all.

-Partev

Do I need to download the source code zip as well?

Thanks guys,
-Partev

Sorry, I thought he couldn't get past the installer. My bad.

On Mon, 18 Oct 2021 at 09:53, Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:

> pkg? I thought he was having trouble running the CsoundQT app.
> ========================
>
> > On 18 Oct 2021, at 09:25, Rory Walsh <rorywalsh@ear.ie> wrote:
> >
> > Alternatively, just right-click the pkg and select open.
> >
> > On Mon, 18 Oct 2021 at 09:23, Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
> >>
> >> Perhaps if you tell us exactly what is happening when you try starting CsoundQT?
> >>
> >> Normally, at the first time it won’t be allowed to run. Then you have to open the Security & Privacy settings and
> >> set to “allow apps from anywhere”, then it either shows an option to run CsoundQT there or you have to run
> >> it again. If it is not allowed again, just go back to the settings and there you should be able to authorise it.
> >>
> >> I am assuming you have installed both Csound AND CsoundQT, which is what you need to do.
> >> ========================
> >> Prof. Victor Lazzarini
> >> Maynooth University
> >> Ireland

Great! Sing it man...

On Sat, Jan 1, 2022, 18:44 Partev Sarkissian <0000060b2ef1338e-dmarc-request@listserv.heanet.ie> wrote:

Thank you everyone.
This version on this computer works better than on my last computer.
Getting back into the thick of it again. Doing better now.

Thank you all.

-Partev

Do I need to download the source code zip as well?

Thanks guys,
-Partev

Sorry, I thought he couldn't get past the installer. My bad.

On Mon, 18 Oct 2021 at 09:53, Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:

> pkg? I thought he was having trouble running the CsoundQT app.
> ========================
>
> > On 18 Oct 2021, at 09:25, Rory Walsh <rorywalsh@ear.ie> wrote:
> >
> > Alternatively, just right-click the pkg and select open.
> >
> > On Mon, 18 Oct 2021 at 09:23, Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
> >>
> >> Perhaps if you tell us exactly what is happening when you try starting CsoundQT?
> >>
> >> Normally, at the first time it won’t be allowed to run. Then you have to open the Security & Privacy settings and
> >> set to “allow apps from anywhere”, then it either shows an option to run CsoundQT there or you have to run
> >> it again. If it is not allowed again, just go back to the settings and there you should be able to authorise it.
> >>
> >> I am assuming you have installed both Csound AND CsoundQT, which is what you need to do.
> >> ========================
> >> Prof. Victor Lazzarini
> >> Maynooth University
> >> Ireland

Rockin’ it!!!Thumbs up

-Partev

Do I need to download the source code zip as well?

Thanks guys,
-Partev

Sorry, I thought he couldn't get past the installer. My bad.

On Mon, 18 Oct 2021 at 09:53, Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:

> pkg? I thought he was having trouble running the CsoundQT app.
> ========================
>
> > On 18 Oct 2021, at 09:25, Rory Walsh <rorywalsh@ear.ie> wrote:
> >
> > Alternatively, just right-click the pkg and select open.
> >
> > On Mon, 18 Oct 2021 at 09:23, Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
> >>
> >> Perhaps if you tell us exactly what is happening when you try starting CsoundQT?
> >>
> >> Normally, at the first time it won’t be allowed to run. Then you have to open the Security & Privacy settings and
> >> set to “allow apps from anywhere”, then it either shows an option to run CsoundQT there or you have to run
> >> it again. If it is not allowed again, just go back to the settings and there you should be able to authorise it.
> >>
> >> I am assuming you have installed both Csound AND CsoundQT, which is what you need to do.
> >> Prof. Victor Lazzarini
> >> Maynooth University
> >> Ireland

In a Starbucks having fun doing little motifs in pentatonic,
then just, then pythagorean scales. Almost too much fun,
like a guilty pleasure. Only I don’t feel guilty.  :)

Thanks all. Nice to back in the thick of it.

-Partev