[Csnd] Understanding The Schroeder Reverb Design (help)

Date2019-12-25 11:40
Fromslobodanip
Subject[Csnd] Understanding The Schroeder Reverb Design (help)
Hello Csounders, I was reading about reverberation in differents sources and
using playing with examples in the  FLOSS-Manual
   and I would like
to more about "The Schroeder Reverb Design".

What this means is:

- How the alpass opcodes work? I read about it  here
   and I couldn't understand
the difference between the xrvt and ilpt parameters.
What is the difference between the reverberation time and loop time?
Does this opcode change the phase of the signal?

- The comb filter opcode is treated as reverb opcode instead of a filter (or
maybe is the same), that somehow makes me confuse.

- What is the difference, in a practical way, between comb and alpass
opcodes? (When you are designing a reverb)

Basically, I would like to have an intuitive understanding of these things
to be able to make my own reverberation systems from scratch.

Any suggestions/help are more than welcome.
Thank you in advance.

--
Sent from: http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csound-General-f1093014.html

FromOeyvind Brandtsegg
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Understanding The Schroeder Reverb Design (help)
Hi,
It is an interesting topic, and it is not uncommon that there is some confusion of terms around different filters.
In general terms in DSP, a filter is a process that modify the signal in any way. It does not have to subtract from the signal, it can also add, or do other modification. In this way, a reverb is also a filter. A single allpass of comb filter makes a shitty reverb, but still, we can talk about decay time (reverberation time), as it has a decaying tail of "echoes".

There is a basic introduction here:
http://gdsp.hf.ntnu.no/lessons/6/

Some more here
and the  whole chapter there really

Also, the Springer Csound book has a nice section on time domain processing, where comb and allpass filters are explained well.

all best
Oeyvind

<http://write.flossmanuals.net/csound/e-reverberation/>   and I would like

<http://www.csounds.com/manual/html/alpass.html>   and I couldn't understand
the difference between the xrvt and ilpt parameters.
What is the difference between the reverberation time and loop time?
Does this opcode change the phase of the signal?

- The comb filter opcode is treated as reverb opcode instead of a filter (or
maybe is the same), that somehow makes me confuse.

- What is the difference, in a practical way, between comb and alpass
opcodes? (When you are designing a reverb)

Basically, I would like to have an intuitive understanding of these things
to be able to make my own reverberation systems from scratch.

Any suggestions/help are more than welcome.
Thank you in advance.

--
Sent from: http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csound-General-f1093014.html

FromJosh Moore
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Understanding The Schroeder Reverb Design (help)
Sean Costello talks about FDNs for basically an hour here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJLhqfHrwsw&t=968s

On Wed, Dec 25, 2019 at 4:34 AM Oeyvind Brandtsegg <obrandts@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Thank you very much for your answers, I'll check them out immediately.
Slobodan

--
Sent from: http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csound-General-f1093014.html

FromPartev Sarkissian <0000060b2ef1338e-dmarc-request@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE>
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Understanding The Schroeder Reverb Design (help)

https://www.crcpress.com/Audio-Effects-Theory-Implementation-and-Application/Reiss-McPherson/p/book/9781466560284

This book by Josh Reiss and Andrew McPherson has a section on this and another section on how it's used.
Good stuff, and easier to digest math wise. One of my fave books on this stuff.

Available on PDF, I think some are free PDF downloads.

-PBS

[...]

And since Oeyvind Brandtsegg knows Josh, he can probably elaborate on this as well. Knowing Julius at CCRMA (and studying his books at this very moment), yeah, the CCRMA link is also a really good source for this. Yeah, Oeyvind, good choice.

-PBS

[...]

Thank Partev, good source as well for learning. I'll check it out, now.
Slobodan

--
Sent from: http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csound-General-f1093014.html