[Csnd] modern version of Csound catalog or book?

Date2021-11-23 10:27
FromMichael Mossey
Subject[Csnd] modern version of Csound catalog or book?
It's been about 15 years since I used Csound a lot. I purchased the Csound Book way back then and have the catalog on CD-ROM. I assume a lot has changed. Is there a new edition of the book or somewhere to see a catalog of instruments featuring recent developments?

-Mike

FromEric Maestri
SubjectRe: [Csnd] modern version of Csound catalog or book?
Hi Michael,

probably the best I know is this one:

Victor Lazzarini Steven Yi

John ffitch Joachim Heintz

Øyvind Brandtsegg Iain McCurdy

Csound

A Sound and Music Computing System

On Tue, 23 Nov 2021 at 11:27, Michael Mossey <michaelmossey@gmail.com> wrote:
It's been about 15 years since I used Csound a lot. I purchased the Csound Book way back then and have the catalog on CD-ROM. I assume a lot has changed. Is there a new edition of the book or somewhere to see a catalog of instruments featuring recent developments?

-Mike

FromMichael Mossey
SubjectRe: [Csnd] modern version of Csound catalog or book?
I should probably clarify that as a programmer, I don't need help with the technical details but I need more examples of sound design to learn from. I did see this newer book on Amazon and I will buy the kindle version. It does seem to have a lot of examples, but would I also benefit from a "sound design" book? Maybe not even specifically using Csound?

Mike

On Tue, Nov 23, 2021 at 2:27 AM Michael Mossey <michaelmossey@gmail.com> wrote:
It's been about 15 years since I used Csound a lot. I purchased the Csound Book way back then and have the catalog on CD-ROM. I assume a lot has changed. Is there a new edition of the book or somewhere to see a catalog of instruments featuring recent developments?

-Mike

FromRory Walsh
SubjectRe: [Csnd] modern version of Csound catalog or book?
In terms of general sound design for musical applications I think the previously mentioned "Csound -  a sound and music computing system", is as good as any out there.

On Tue, 23 Nov 2021 at 10:41, Michael Mossey <michaelmossey@gmail.com> wrote:
I should probably clarify that as a programmer, I don't need help with the technical details but I need more examples of sound design to learn from. I did see this newer book on Amazon and I will buy the kindle version. It does seem to have a lot of examples, but would I also benefit from a "sound design" book? Maybe not even specifically using Csound?

Mike

On Tue, Nov 23, 2021 at 2:27 AM Michael Mossey <michaelmossey@gmail.com> wrote:
It's been about 15 years since I used Csound a lot. I purchased the Csound Book way back then and have the catalog on CD-ROM. I assume a lot has changed. Is there a new edition of the book or somewhere to see a catalog of instruments featuring recent developments?

-Mike

FromDavid Bowen
SubjectRe: [Csnd] modern version of Csound catalog or book?
I'd also mention Victor Lazzarini's "Computer Music Instruments" which covers more traditional instruments and "Computer Music Instruments II" which looks at real-time performance.

David Bowen

On Tue, Nov 23, 2021 at 3:55 AM Rory Walsh <rorywalsh@ear.ie> wrote:
[...]

FromIain Duncan
SubjectRe: [Csnd] modern version of Csound catalog or book?
Two I got recently that I really like are Victor's "Spectral Music Design" and Andy Farnell's Pd book "Designing Sound".  (Spectral is not a Springer book either so it's actually well priced!)

If you're looking for how to make "real-world" type sounds, the Farnell book is just the ticket. I've heard it's very popular among video game sound designers.

On Tue, Nov 23, 2021 at 6:43 AM David Bowen <dmb0317@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Yes, the Farnell one is quite something in terms of the level of detail he goes into in designing the sounds.

On Tue, 23 Nov 2021 at 16:42, Iain Duncan <iainduncanlists@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

I haven't bought Victor's latest book because I figure he'll send me one for Christmas :)

On Tue, 23 Nov 2021 at 16:49, Rory Walsh <rorywalsh@ear.ie> wrote:
[...]

SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd] modern version of Csound catalog or book?
I haven’t even got one myself… they have forgotten to send me a copy.

> On 23 Nov 2021, at 16:49, Rory Walsh  wrote:
>
> WARNINGThis email originated from outside of Maynooth University's Mail System. Do not reply, click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.
> I haven't bought Victor's latest book because I figure he'll send me one for Christmas :)
>
> On Tue, 23 Nov 2021 at 16:49, Rory Walsh  wrote:
> Yes, the Farnell one is quite something in terms of the level of detail he goes into in designing the sounds.
>
> On Tue, 23 Nov 2021 at 16:42, Iain Duncan  wrote:
> Two I got recently that I really like are Victor's "Spectral Music Design" and Andy Farnell's Pd book "Designing Sound".  (Spectral is not a Springer book either so it's actually well priced!)
>
> If you're looking for how to make "real-world" type sounds, the Farnell book is just the ticket. I've heard it's very popular among video game sound designers.
>
> On Tue, Nov 23, 2021 at 6:43 AM David Bowen  wrote:
> I'd also mention Victor Lazzarini's "Computer Music Instruments" which covers more traditional instruments and "Computer Music Instruments II" which looks at real-time performance.
>
> David Bowen
>
> On Tue, Nov 23, 2021 at 3:55 AM Rory Walsh  wrote:
> In terms of general sound design for musical applications I think the previously mentioned "Csound -  a sound and music computing system", is as good as any out there.
>
> On Tue, 23 Nov 2021 at 10:41, Michael Mossey  wrote:
> I should probably clarify that as a programmer, I don't need help with the technical details but I need more examples of sound design to learn from. I did see this newer book on Amazon and I will buy the kindle version. It does seem to have a lot of examples, but would I also benefit from a "sound design" book? Maybe not even specifically using Csound?
>
> Mike
>
> On Tue, Nov 23, 2021 at 2:27 AM Michael Mossey  wrote:
> It's been about 15 years since I used Csound a lot. I purchased the Csound Book way back then and have the catalog on CD-ROM. I assume a lot has changed. Is there a new edition of the book or somewhere to see a catalog of instruments featuring recent developments?
>
> -Mike

From"Dr. Richard Boulanger"
SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd] modern version of Csound catalog or book?
My students and I have copies, but Victor's name is incorrectly spelled on the cover

Dr. Richard Boulanger
Professor
Electronic Production and Design
Berklee College of Music

> [...]
> https://us-west-2.protection.sophos.com?d=heanet.ie&u=aHR0cHM6Ly9saXN0c2Vydi5oZWFuZXQuaWUvY2dpLWJpbi93YT9BMD1DU09VTkQ=&i=NWYxNzBkMDNiNTVmZGEwZmIyNjczYmRm&t=WVZMRlI4dlFUVUZ6V2NTOUU5eE9lZnFIemtoc2hxYlBDMFFCWmtKZzhzRT0=&h=659fe8707ea04689990248b29a2ddeac
> Send bugs reports to
>        https://us-west-2.protection.sophos.com?d=github.com&u=aHR0cHM6Ly9naXRodWIuY29tL2Nzb3VuZC9jc291bmQvaXNzdWVz&i=NWYxNzBkMDNiNTVmZGEwZmIyNjczYmRm&t=YlNrQ2lLclRLZUpGUE1iR0FyY2M1eW1NTUU5SUozWlJwMTNZU2NXT1BLOD0=&h=659fe8707ea04689990248b29a2ddeac

SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd] modern version of Csound catalog or book?
Oh, is that right, whereabouts? The front cover looked correct to me.

> [...]
>>

>> Csound mailing list
>> Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>> https://us-west-2.protection.sophos.com?d=heanet.ie&u=aHR0cHM6Ly9saXN0c2Vydi5oZWFuZXQuaWUvY2dpLWJpbi93YT9BMD1DU09VTkQ=&i=NWYxNzBkMDNiNTVmZGEwZmIyNjczYmRm&t=WVZMRlI4dlFUVUZ6V2NTOUU5eE9lZnFIemtoc2hxYlBDMFFCWmtKZzhzRT0=&h=659fe8707ea04689990248b29a2ddeac
>> Send bugs reports to
>>       https://us-west-2.protection.sophos.com?d=github.com&u=aHR0cHM6Ly9naXRodWIuY29tL2Nzb3VuZC9jc291bmQvaXNzdWVz&i=NWYxNzBkMDNiNTVmZGEwZmIyNjczYmRm&t=YlNrQ2lLclRLZUpGUE1iR0FyY2M1eW1NTUU5SUozWlJwMTNZU2NXT1BLOD0=&h=659fe8707ea04689990248b29a2ddeac

FromRory Walsh
SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd] modern version of Csound catalog or book?
I once spelled Victor's name wrong in the program for a concert. He was moderately, to extremely, annoyed by that. I really fear for the wellbeing of his publishers if they got this wrong!!

On Tue, 23 Nov 2021 at 19:58, Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
> [...]

>> Csound mailing list
>> Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>> https://us-west-2.protection.sophos.com?d=heanet.ie&u=aHR0cHM6Ly9saXN0c2Vydi5oZWFuZXQuaWUvY2dpLWJpbi93YT9BMD1DU09VTkQ=&i=NWYxNzBkMDNiNTVmZGEwZmIyNjczYmRm&t=WVZMRlI4dlFUVUZ6V2NTOUU5eE9lZnFIemtoc2hxYlBDMFFCWmtKZzhzRT0=&h=659fe8707ea04689990248b29a2ddeac
>> Send bugs reports to
>>       https://us-west-2.protection.sophos.com?d=github.com&u=aHR0cHM6Ly9naXRodWIuY29tL2Nzb3VuZC9jc291bmQvaXNzdWVz&i=NWYxNzBkMDNiNTVmZGEwZmIyNjczYmRm&t=YlNrQ2lLclRLZUpGUE1iR0FyY2M1eW1NTUU5SUozWlJwMTNZU2NXT1BLOD0=&h=659fe8707ea04689990248b29a2ddeac

>        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd] modern version of Csound catalog or book?
Can't remember that either.

On 23 Nov 2021, at 20:38, Rory Walsh <rorywalsh@ear.ie> wrote:

> [...]

>> Csound mailing list
>> Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>> https://us-west-2.protection.sophos.com?d=heanet.ie&u=aHR0cHM6Ly9saXN0c2Vydi5oZWFuZXQuaWUvY2dpLWJpbi93YT9BMD1DU09VTkQ=&i=NWYxNzBkMDNiNTVmZGEwZmIyNjczYmRm&t=WVZMRlI4dlFUVUZ6V2NTOUU5eE9lZnFIemtoc2hxYlBDMFFCWmtKZzhzRT0=&h=659fe8707ea04689990248b29a2ddeac
>> Send bugs reports to
>>       https://us-west-2.protection.sophos.com?d=github.com&u=aHR0cHM6Ly9naXRodWIuY29tL2Nzb3VuZC9jc291bmQvaXNzdWVz&i=NWYxNzBkMDNiNTVmZGEwZmIyNjczYmRm&t=YlNrQ2lLclRLZUpGUE1iR0FyY2M1eW1NTUU5SUozWlJwMTNZU2NXT1BLOD0=&h=659fe8707ea04689990248b29a2ddeac

>        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

FromRory Walsh
SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd] modern version of Csound catalog or book?
It was over 20 years ago. Where has the time gone.