[Csnd] table plot widget CsoundQT

Subject[Csnd] table plot widget CsoundQT
I was trying this new widget before a class today and I found that it seems to plot the table in inverted polarity.
Here’s the example

ifn ftgen 0,0,1024,10,1
chnset ifn,"tbl"

gives me a plot of an inverted sine. Is that correct behaviour?
Running version 0.9.8 here on a Mac.

FromEduardo Moguillansky
SubjectRe: [Csnd] table plot widget CsoundQT
You are correct. I will see to push a fix as soon as I can.

On Tue, Dec 8, 2020, 10:46 Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
I was trying this new widget before a class today and I found that it seems to plot the table in inverted polarity.
Here’s the example

ifn ftgen 0,0,1024,10,1
chnset ifn,"tbl"

gives me a plot of an inverted sine. Is that correct behaviour?
Running version 0.9.8 here on a Mac.

SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd] table plot widget CsoundQT
Thanks for confirming, I thought I was doing something wrong here.

> On 8 Dec 2020, at 11:24, Eduardo Moguillansky  wrote:
>
> WARNINGThis email originated from outside of Maynooth University's Mail System. Do not reply, click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.
> You are correct. I will see to push a fix as soon as I can.
>
> On Tue, Dec 8, 2020, 10:46 Victor Lazzarini  wrote:
> I was trying this new widget before a class today and I found that it seems to plot the table in inverted polarity.
> Here’s the example
>
> ifn ftgen 0,0,1024,10,1
> chnset ifn,"tbl"
>
> gives me a plot of an inverted sine. Is that correct behaviour?
> Running version 0.9.8 here on a Mac.

SubjectRe: [Csnd] table plot widget CsoundQT
if it is not too hard to do, a min-max range would be great to have as
additional (optional) input for the table plot. for instance in this
code ...
	 itab = ftgen(0,0,1024,2,0)
	 outvalue("plot1",itab)
  	tablew(unirand:k(10), timeinstk()%ftlen(itab), itab)
  	outvalue("plot1",k(-1))
... i would like to set min=0 and max=10.

cheers -
	joachim

On 08.12.20 19:51, joachim heintz wrote:
if it is not too hard to do, a min-max range would be great to have as additional (optional) input for the table plot. for instance in this code ...
     itab = ftgen(0,0,1024,2,0)
     outvalue("plot1",itab)
     tablew(unirand:k(10), timeinstk()%ftlen(itab), itab)
     outvalue("plot1",k(-1))
... i would like to set min=0 and max=10.

Currently the plot widget sets the range automatically. To be clear, what you would like is to be able to set those values and have them stay fixed, is that correct? I would prefer to set such values directly in the code. Currently the plot widget implements some string directives.

Such min/max ranges could be set accordingly via
outvalue "plot1",  sprintf("@set %d", itab)
outvalue "plot1",  "@range 0 10"
if metro(10) == 1 then
  outvalue "plot1", "@update"
endif

This makes it possible to have one plot widget for multiple tables and update them via code, which would be more flexible than setting such values in the properties dialog. On the other hand, a gui would be more friendly for beginners. As a middle ground, a gui could set start values and successive string directives could override those.

On Tue, Dec 8, 2020, 10:46 Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie <mailto:Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie>> wrote:

    I was trying this new widget before a class today and I found that
    it seems to plot the table in inverted polarity.
    Here’s the example

    ifn ftgen 0,0,1024,10,1
    chnset ifn,"tbl"

    gives me a plot of an inverted sine. Is that correct behaviour?
    Running version 0.9.8 here on a Mac.

SubjectRe: [Csnd] table plot widget CsoundQT
yes in the code would be best, i think, too.

the automatic range does not work properly in the example i sent.  the
widget seems to expect negative values even if they are not there, so
all is only in the upper half.

On 09/12/2020 13:17, Eduardo Moguillansky wrote:

> On 08.12.20 19:51, joachim heintz wrote:
>> if it is not too hard to do, a min-max range would be great to have as
>> additional (optional) input for the table plot. for instance in this
>> code ...
>>      itab = ftgen(0,0,1024,2,0)
>>      outvalue("plot1",itab)
>>      tablew(unirand:k(10), timeinstk()%ftlen(itab), itab)
>>      outvalue("plot1",k(-1))
>> ... i would like to set min=0 and max=10.
>
> Currently the plot widget sets the range automatically. To be clear,
> what you would like is to be able to set those values and have them stay
> fixed, is that correct? I would prefer to set such values directly in
> the code. Currently the plot widget implements some string directives.
>
> Such min/max ranges could be set accordingly via
>
> outvalue "plot1",  sprintf("@set %d", itab)
> outvalue "plot1",  "@range 0 10"
>
> if metro(10) == 1 then
>    outvalue "plot1", "@update"
> endif
>
> This makes it possible to have one plot widget for multiple tables and
> update them via code, which would be more flexible than setting such
> values in the properties dialog. On the other hand, a gui would be more
> friendly for beginners. As a middle ground, a gui could set start values
> and successive string directives could override those.
>

>> cheers -
>>     joachim
>>

>> On 08/12/2020 12:24, Eduardo Moguillansky wrote:
>>> You are correct. I will see to push a fix as soon as I can.
>>>
>>> On Tue, Dec 8, 2020, 10:46 Victor Lazzarini >> > wrote:
>>>
>>>     I was trying this new widget before a class today and I found that
>>>     it seems to plot the table in inverted polarity.
>>>     Here’s the example
>>>
>>>     ifn ftgen 0,0,1024,10,1
>>>     chnset ifn,"tbl"
>>>
>>>     gives me a plot of an inverted sine. Is that correct behaviour?
>>>     Running version 0.9.8 here on a Mac.

>>>     Send bugs reports to
>>> https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>>>     Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

>>> https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND Send bugs reports to
>>> https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and
>>> features can be posted here
>>
>> Csound mailing list
>> Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>> Send bugs reports to
>> https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
> Csound mailing list Csound@listserv.heanet.ie

> https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features
> can be posted here

FromEduardo Moguillansky
SubjectRe: [Csnd] table plot widget CsoundQT
Thanks for all reports (and feature requests). Both problems (plot being
upside down) and automatic range both work (in git). It is still not
possible to set the range programatically but autorange seems to do the
right thing most of the times so that might not really be necessary.

If you know how to build csoundqt from source, please test these fixes
(particularly if you are not on linux). Otherwise we'll make a new point
release soon.

cheers,

Eduardo

On 09.12.20 15:13, joachim heintz wrote:
> yes in the code would be best, i think, too.
>
> the automatic range does not work properly in the example i sent. the
> widget seems to expect negative values even if they are not there, so
> all is only in the upper half.
>

> On 09/12/2020 13:17, Eduardo Moguillansky wrote:
>>
>> On 08.12.20 19:51, joachim heintz wrote:
>>> if it is not too hard to do, a min-max range would be great to have
>>> as additional (optional) input for the table plot. for instance in
>>> this code ...
>>>      itab = ftgen(0,0,1024,2,0)
>>>      outvalue("plot1",itab)
>>>      tablew(unirand:k(10), timeinstk()%ftlen(itab), itab)
>>>      outvalue("plot1",k(-1))
>>> ... i would like to set min=0 and max=10.
>>
>> Currently the plot widget sets the range automatically. To be clear,
>> what you would like is to be able to set those values and have them
>> stay fixed, is that correct? I would prefer to set such values
>> directly in the code. Currently the plot widget implements some
>> string directives.
>>
>> Such min/max ranges could be set accordingly via
>>
>> outvalue "plot1",  sprintf("@set %d", itab)
>> outvalue "plot1",  "@range 0 10"
>>
>> if metro(10) == 1 then
>>    outvalue "plot1", "@update"
>> endif
>>
>> This makes it possible to have one plot widget for multiple tables
>> and update them via code, which would be more flexible than setting
>> such values in the properties dialog. On the other hand, a gui would
>> be more friendly for beginners. As a middle ground, a gui could set
>> start values and successive string directives could override those.
>>

>>> cheers -
>>>     joachim

>>> Csound mailing list
>>> Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>>> Send bugs reports to
>>> https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>> Csound mailing list Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>>
>> https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND Send bugs reports to
>> https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and
>> features can be posted here

>        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

SubjectRe: [Csnd] table plot widget CsoundQT
cool, thanks.  i pulled and rebuilt, and automatic scaling is now
working for me.
(but i am on linux ...)
cheers -

On 10/12/2020 21:18, Eduardo Moguillansky wrote:
> Thanks for all reports (and feature requests). Both problems (plot being
> upside down) and automatic range both work (in git). It is still not
> possible to set the range programatically but autorange seems to do the
> right thing most of the times so that might not really be necessary.
>
> If you know how to build csoundqt from source, please test these fixes
> (particularly if you are not on linux). Otherwise we'll make a new point
> release soon.
>
> cheers,
>
> Eduardo
>
> On 09.12.20 15:13, joachim heintz wrote:
>> yes in the code would be best, i think, too.
>>
>> the automatic range does not work properly in the example i sent. the
>> widget seems to expect negative values even if they are not there, so
>> all is only in the upper half.

>>> Currently the plot widget sets the range automatically. To be clear,
>>> what you would like is to be able to set those values and have them
>>> stay fixed, is that correct? I would prefer to set such values
>>> directly in the code. Currently the plot widget implements some
>>> string directives.
>>>
>>> Such min/max ranges could be set accordingly via
>>>
>>> outvalue "plot1",  sprintf("@set %d", itab)
>>> outvalue "plot1",  "@range 0 10"
>>>
>>> if metro(10) == 1 then
>>>    outvalue "plot1", "@update"
>>> endif
>>>
>>> This makes it possible to have one plot widget for multiple tables
>>> and update them via code, which would be more flexible than setting
>>> such values in the properties dialog. On the other hand, a gui would
>>> be more friendly for beginners. As a middle ground, a gui could set
>>> start values and successive string directives could override those.

>>> Csound mailing list Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>>>
>>> https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND Send bugs reports to
>>> https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and
>>> features can be posted here
>>
>> Csound mailing list
>> Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>> Send bugs reports to
>>        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

>         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] Re: [Csnd] table plot widget CsoundQT
Thx.
Did you check the possible graph issue I mentioned here?

> [...]
> Send bugs reports to
>       https://eur02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fcsound%2Fcsound%2Fissues&data=04%7C01%7CVictor.Lazzarini%40mu.ie%7Cdbbf808f5257479dc85708d89d48d491%7C1454f5ccbb354685bbd98621fd8055c9%7C1%7C0%7C637432283414723195%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=GF4l1QFwi2vD3UIjPmUTq9ZcEmhEKTP0MWgN%2FCjAKMU%3D&reserved=0

FromEduardo Moguillansky
SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] Re: [Csnd] table plot widget CsoundQT
I cannot reproduce your specific problem. There is a scaling issue which needs to be solved with the graph widget but I always see atable displayed. Which version of csoundqt are you using?

On Thu, Dec 10, 2020, 21:51 Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
> [...]

> Send bugs reports to
>       https://eur02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fcsound%2Fcsound%2Fissues&amp;data=04%7C01%7CVictor.Lazzarini%40mu.ie%7Cdbbf808f5257479dc85708d89d48d491%7C1454f5ccbb354685bbd98621fd8055c9%7C1%7C0%7C637432283414723195%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=GF4l1QFwi2vD3UIjPmUTq9ZcEmhEKTP0MWgN%2FCjAKMU%3D&amp;reserved=0

SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd] table plot widget CsoundQT
Attachmentsgraphw.csd
0.9.8. I am attaching a CSD for you to test

> [...]
> Send bugs reports to
>       https://eur02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fcsound%2Fcsound%2Fissues&amp;data=04%7C01%7CVictor.Lazzarini%40mu.ie%7Cdbbf808f5257479dc85708d89d48d491%7C1454f5ccbb354685bbd98621fd8055c9%7C1%7C0%7C637432283414723195%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=GF4l1QFwi2vD3UIjPmUTq9ZcEmhEKTP0MWgN%2FCjAKMU%3D&amp;reserved=0

SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd] table plot widget CsoundQT
actually I noticed that there is a tiny wave there in the middle now.