[Csnd] Virtual User Group

Subject[Csnd] Virtual User Group
Hi All,

>From the conference came a discussion of a possible Virtual User Group
(VUG). We currently have Slack (and to a much lesser degree, IRC) as a
real-time communications channel for the community. This has been good
for rolling conversations, but having Csound VUG with regular meetings
and agendas might be nice to have for a more focused virtual
gathering.  Some ideas:

1. Meeting frequency: Once a month? Bi-Monthly? Weekly?
2. Meeting time: Since the community spans many timezones, what time
would be best to get the most people involved?  Would something like
7am PDT work? (Thinking that would work for the Americas to be between
early and mid-morning, afternoon for Europe, and late night for Asia).
3. Meeting day: Weekday? Weekend?
4. Organization: Perhaps use Meetup.com to organize the meetings so
that they can be on the calendar?
5. Format/Topics: Suggested meeting format?  Thinking there might be
regular parts to each meeting (general sharing of
examples/pieces/projects, guest speaker live streaming a presentation
on a topic on Youtube, a sound programming topic for the meeting,
etc.)

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Steven

FromOeyvind Brandtsegg
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Virtual User Group
This is a nice idea. Could we also record the meeting? It would make it possible to follow the activity even if the time slot does not fit, and it could make for a nice archive if we have presentations of selected topics on each meeting?

lør. 12. okt. 2019 kl. 21:33 skrev Steven Yi <stevenyi@gmail.com>:
Hi All,

>From the conference came a discussion of a possible Virtual User Group
(VUG). We currently have Slack (and to a much lesser degree, IRC) as a
real-time communications channel for the community. This has been good
for rolling conversations, but having Csound VUG with regular meetings
and agendas might be nice to have for a more focused virtual
gathering.  Some ideas:

1. Meeting frequency: Once a month? Bi-Monthly? Weekly?
2. Meeting time: Since the community spans many timezones, what time
would be best to get the most people involved?  Would something like
7am PDT work? (Thinking that would work for the Americas to be between
early and mid-morning, afternoon for Europe, and late night for Asia).
3. Meeting day: Weekday? Weekend?
4. Organization: Perhaps use Meetup.com to organize the meetings so
that they can be on the calendar?
5. Format/Topics: Suggested meeting format?  Thinking there might be
regular parts to each meeting (general sharing of
examples/pieces/projects, guest speaker live streaming a presentation
on a topic on Youtube, a sound programming topic for the meeting,
etc.)

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Steven

FromTarmo Johannes
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Virtual User Group
AttachmentsNone  None

Date2019-10-14 16:05
Froms
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Virtual User Group
hi

On 10/14/19 2:38 AM, Tarmo Johannes wrote:
> I have no experience with Slack, but if it is there and works, we
> should just join it. I propose could we try to meet at Saturday,
> October 26? So we have enough time to plan,  prepare, discuss etc.

sounds like a great idea. i'll do my best to attend. as you allude to, i
think it's better to start than endlessly quibble about platforms, but
not sure if someone's going to have to pay for slack (then to access the
archives might be another fee) ...

since slack is basically irc (with enhanced web front end), maybe
"regular" irc would be better in terms of having access to archives &c.
(maybe not) ...

read you there!

FromBernt Isak Wærstad
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Virtual User Group
Slack works nice I think and is free to use, but since we're not paying the chats will only store something like 10 000 messages. Could be possible to just save the chat from each session on a separate location though.

Otherwise maybe Discord is worth looking into? I haven't used it, but you have the possibility of both talking (not sure if its audio only or supports video too) and chatting in the same platform.

Personally I really don't think Saturdays are the best days to meet, but I guess we all have different wishes so maybe we could alternate between weekdays and weekends?

On Mon, 14 Oct 2019 at 18:05, s <johns@or8.net> wrote:
hi

On 10/14/19 2:38 AM, Tarmo Johannes wrote:
> I have no experience with Slack, but if it is there and works, we
> should just join it. I propose could we try to meet at Saturday,
> October 26? So we have enough time to plan,  prepare, discuss etc.

sounds like a great idea. i'll do my best to attend. as you allude to, i
think it's better to start than endlessly quibble about platforms, but
not sure if someone's going to have to pay for slack (then to access the
archives might be another fee) ...

since slack is basically irc (with enhanced web front end), maybe
"regular" irc would be better in terms of having access to archives &c.
(maybe not) ...

read you there!

Mvh.

Bernt Isak Wærstad

SubjectRe: [Csnd] Virtual User Group
October 26th works for me.  Maybe we give it a try and see what
happens and learn from it quickly what works/doesn't.

Anyone want to volunteer to help organize the meetings? I'd like to
help push this forward but I don't have much time right now to take on
the task.

Slack works for me, though I'm often on Discord too.  I don't use IRC
much anymore; the other two systems work well for using screenshots,
attachments, emojis, and gifs which I find useful for communications.

On Mon, Oct 14, 2019 at 2:38 AM Tarmo Johannes  wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think it is very important to get these online meetings going. Thanks for brining it up, Steven!
> I assume probably Saturday could be one of the easiest days? And not too early for Americas...
>
> I have no experience with Slack, but if it is there and works, we should just join it. I propose could we try to meet at Saturday, October 26? So we have enough time to plan,  prepare, discuss etc.
>
> Thanks!
> tarmo
>

> On Oct 14 2019, at 12:02 am, Oeyvind Brandtsegg  wrote:
>
> This is a nice idea. Could we also record the meeting? It would make it possible to follow the activity even if the time slot does not fit, and it could make for a nice archive if we have presentations of selected topics on each meeting?
>
> lør. 12. okt. 2019 kl. 21:33 skrev Steven Yi :
>
> Hi All,
>
> From the conference came a discussion of a possible Virtual User Group
> (VUG). We currently have Slack (and to a much lesser degree, IRC) as a
> real-time communications channel for the community. This has been good
> for rolling conversations, but having Csound VUG with regular meetings
> and agendas might be nice to have for a more focused virtual
> gathering.  Some ideas:
>
> 1. Meeting frequency: Once a month? Bi-Monthly? Weekly?
> 2. Meeting time: Since the community spans many timezones, what time
> would be best to get the most people involved?  Would something like
> 7am PDT work? (Thinking that would work for the Americas to be between
> early and mid-morning, afternoon for Europe, and late night for Asia).
> 3. Meeting day: Weekday? Weekend?
> 4. Organization: Perhaps use Meetup.com to organize the meetings so
> that they can be on the calendar?
> 5. Format/Topics: Suggested meeting format?  Thinking there might be
> regular parts to each meeting (general sharing of
> examples/pieces/projects, guest speaker live streaming a presentation
> on a topic on Youtube, a sound programming topic for the meeting,
> etc.)
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
> Steven

SubjectRe: [Csnd] Virtual User Group
Ah, apologies, I didn't check my work calendar and I have an engagement on the 26th.

On Mon, Oct 14, 2019 at 2:38 AM Tarmo Johannes <trmjhnns@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think it is very important to get these online meetings going. Thanks for brining it up, Steven!
> I assume probably Saturday could be one of the easiest days? And not too early for Americas...
>
> I have no experience with Slack, but if it is there and works, we should just join it. I propose could we try to meet at Saturday, October 26? So we have enough time to plan,  prepare, discuss etc.
>
> Thanks!
> tarmo
>

> On Oct 14 2019, at 12:02 am, Oeyvind Brandtsegg <obrandts@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> This is a nice idea. Could we also record the meeting? It would make it possible to follow the activity even if the time slot does not fit, and it could make for a nice archive if we have presentations of selected topics on each meeting?
>
> lør. 12. okt. 2019 kl. 21:33 skrev Steven Yi <stevenyi@gmail.com>:
>
> Hi All,
>
> From the conference came a discussion of a possible Virtual User Group
> (VUG). We currently have Slack (and to a much lesser degree, IRC) as a
> real-time communications channel for the community. This has been good
> for rolling conversations, but having Csound VUG with regular meetings
> and agendas might be nice to have for a more focused virtual
> gathering.  Some ideas:
>
> 1. Meeting frequency: Once a month? Bi-Monthly? Weekly?
> 2. Meeting time: Since the community spans many timezones, what time
> would be best to get the most people involved?  Would something like
> 7am PDT work? (Thinking that would work for the Americas to be between
> early and mid-morning, afternoon for Europe, and late night for Asia).
> 3. Meeting day: Weekday? Weekend?
> 4. Organization: Perhaps use Meetup.com to organize the meetings so
> that they can be on the calendar?
> 5. Format/Topics: Suggested meeting format?  Thinking there might be
> regular parts to each meeting (general sharing of
> examples/pieces/projects, guest speaker live streaming a presentation
> on a topic on Youtube, a sound programming topic for the meeting,
> etc.)
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
> Steven

SubjectRe: [Csnd] Virtual User Group
what about one week later, november 2nd?