[Csnd] meaning of error message

Date2021-03-29 15:48
FromStefan Thomas
Subject[Csnd] meaning of error message
Dear community,
while running a certain patch, I get the error message below:
new alloc for instr 100:
WARNING: Seeding from current time 3938677046
Is it important?
What does this mean?
Thanks for Your help,
Stefan

FromDave Seidel
SubjectRe: [Csnd] meaning of error message
It's not an error, merely letting you know that the random number generator has been reset based on the current timestamp. It would be more friendly if it said "INFO" instead of "WARNING".

On Mon, Mar 29, 2021 at 10:48 AM Stefan Thomas <kontrapunktstefan@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear community,
while running a certain patch, I get the error message below:
new alloc for instr 100:
WARNING: Seeding from current time 3938677046
Is it important?
What does this mean?
Thanks for Your help,
Stefan

FromStefan Thomas
SubjectRe: [Csnd] meaning of error message
Thanks! So I can keep calm and carry on.

Am Mo., 29. März 2021 um 16:53 Uhr schrieb Dave Seidel <dave.seidel@gmail.com>:
It's not an error, merely letting you know that the random number generator has been reset based on the current timestamp. It would be more friendly if it said "INFO" instead of "WARNING".

On Mon, Mar 29, 2021 at 10:48 AM Stefan Thomas <kontrapunktstefan@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear community,
while running a certain patch, I get the error message below:
new alloc for instr 100:
WARNING: Seeding from current time 3938677046
Is it important?
What does this mean?
Thanks for Your help,
Stefan

SubjectRe: [Csnd] meaning of error message
yes --- just get nervous in case you expected 3938677047 instead ...

On 29/03/2021 17:12, Stefan Thomas wrote:
> Thanks! So I can keep calm and carry on.
>
> Am Mo., 29. März 2021 um 16:53 Uhr schrieb Dave Seidel
> >:
>
>     It's not an error, merely letting you know that the random number
>     generator has been reset based on the current timestamp. It would be
>     more friendly if it said "INFO" instead of "WARNING".
>
>     On Mon, Mar 29, 2021 at 10:48 AM Stefan Thomas
>     >
>     wrote:
>
>         Dear community,
>         while running a certain patch, I get the error message below:
>
>             new alloc for instr 100:
>             WARNING: Seeding from current time 3938677046
>
>         Is it important?
>         What does this mean?
>         Thanks for Your help,
>         Stefan
>         Csound mailing list Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>
>         https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND Send bugs
>         reports to https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions
>         of bugs and features can be posted here

>     https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND Send bugs reports to
>     https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and
>     features can be posted here

> https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features
> can be posted here

FromDave Seidel
SubjectRe: [Csnd] meaning of error message
Ha ha!