[Csnd] Can you explain how to connect csound to Virtual midi port (snd-virmidi)

Date2021-09-07 21:11
FromAnton Kholomiov
Subject[Csnd] Can you explain how to connect csound to Virtual midi port (snd-virmidi)
I'm trying but it all fails.
Can you help me to connect csound to Virtual midi port (snd-virmidi).
How to connect to Virtual Midi port or Midi Through?

> cat /proc/asound/cards
 4 [VirMIDI        ]: VirMIDI - VirMIDI
                      Virtual MIDI Card 1
```

> aconnect -l
gives
```
client 0: 'System' [type=kernel]
    0 'Timer           '
    1 'Announce        '
        Connecting To: 128:0
client 14: 'Midi Through' [type=kernel]
    0 'Midi Through Port-0'
        Connecting To: 128:0[real:0]
        Connected From: 128:0
client 32: 'Virtual Raw MIDI 4-0' [type=kernel,card=4]
    0 'VirMIDI 4-0     '
        Connecting To: 128:0[real:0]
        Connected From: 128:0
client 33: 'Virtual Raw MIDI 4-1' [type=kernel,card=4]
    0 'VirMIDI 4-1     '
        Connecting To: 128:0[real:0]
        Connected From: 128:0
client 34: 'Virtual Raw MIDI 4-2' [type=kernel,card=4]
    0 'VirMIDI 4-2     '
        Connecting To: 128:0[real:0]
        Connected From: 128:0
client 35: 'Virtual Raw MIDI 4-3' [type=kernel,card=4]
    0 'VirMIDI 4-3     '
        Connecting To: 128:0[real:0]
        Connected From: 128:0
```

I can not figure out the right combo of flags: -+rtmidi and -M
Can you please help me.

I always get: midi resource busy or  Uknown Raw Midi

FromAnton Kholomiov
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Can you explain how to connect csound to Virtual midi port (snd-virmidi)
String flags are frustrating :(
I wish there was some valid way to lo list
rtmidi options or devices options

вт, 7 сент. 2021 г. в 23:11, Anton Kholomiov <anton.kholomiov@gmail.com>:
I'm trying but it all fails.
Can you help me to connect csound to Virtual midi port (snd-virmidi).
How to connect to Virtual Midi port or Midi Through?

> cat /proc/asound/cards
 4 [VirMIDI        ]: VirMIDI - VirMIDI
                      Virtual MIDI Card 1
```

> aconnect -l
gives
```
[...]

FromGuillermo Senna
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Can you explain how to connect csound to Virtual midi port (snd-virmidi)

Hi Anton,

Have you tried something like this already?

-+rtmidi=alsaseq -M32

Cheers.

On 7/9/21 17:11, Anton Kholomiov wrote:
I'm trying but it all fails.
Can you help me to connect csound to Virtual midi port (snd-virmidi).
How to connect to Virtual Midi port or Midi Through?

> cat /proc/asound/cards
 4 [VirMIDI        ]: VirMIDI - VirMIDI
                      Virtual MIDI Card 1
```

> aconnect -l
gives
```
[...]

FromTarmo Johannes
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Can you explain how to connect csound to Virtual midi port (snd-virmidi)
Hi!

What happens if you use -Ma flag for MIDI input?
Is using jackd an option for you? Then any routing with qjacktl or cadence (or command line) would be easier.

tarmo

tarmo

Kontakt Anton Kholomiov (<anton.kholomiov@gmail.com>) kirjutas kuupäeval T, 7. september 2021 kell 23:20:
String flags are frustrating :(
I wish there was some valid way to lo list
rtmidi options or devices options

вт, 7 сент. 2021 г. в 23:11, Anton Kholomiov <anton.kholomiov@gmail.com>:
I'm trying but it all fails.
Can you help me to connect csound to Virtual midi port (snd-virmidi).
How to connect to Virtual Midi port or Midi Through?

> cat /proc/asound/cards
 4 [VirMIDI        ]: VirMIDI - VirMIDI
                      Virtual MIDI Card 1
```

> aconnect -l
gives
```
[...]

I can see this:

ALSASEQ: opened MIDI input sequencer
ALSASEQ: created input port 'Csound' 128:0
ALSASEQ: connection failed from a, port 0 (Operation not permitted)

Actually I use cadence and set Alsa Midi to None and start the Midi bridge to see virtual midi ports

вт, 7 сент. 2021 г. в 23:23, Tarmo Johannes <trmjhnns@gmail.com>:
Hi!

What happens if you use -Ma flag for MIDI input?
Is using jackd an option for you? Then any routing with qjacktl or cadence (or command line) would be easier.

tarmo

tarmo

Kontakt Anton Kholomiov (<anton.kholomiov@gmail.com>) kirjutas kuupäeval T, 7. september 2021 kell 23:20:
String flags are frustrating :(
I wish there was some valid way to lo list
rtmidi options or devices options

вт, 7 сент. 2021 г. в 23:11, Anton Kholomiov <anton.kholomiov@gmail.com>:
I'm trying but it all fails.
Can you help me to connect csound to Virtual midi port (snd-virmidi).
How to connect to Virtual Midi port or Midi Through?

> cat /proc/asound/cards
 4 [VirMIDI        ]: VirMIDI - VirMIDI
                      Virtual MIDI Card 1
```

> aconnect -l
gives
```
[...]

f I use just -Ma

i get

ALSA lib rawmidi_hw.c:235:(snd_rawmidi_hw_open) open /dev/snd/midiC2D0 failed: Device or resource busy
ALSA lib rawmidi_hw.c:235:(snd_rawmidi_hw_open) open /dev/snd/midiC3D0 failed: Device or resource busy
ALSA lib rawmidi_hw.c:235:(snd_rawmidi_hw_open) open /dev/snd/midiC4D0 failed: Device or resource busy
ALSA lib rawmidi_hw.c:235:(snd_rawmidi_hw_open) open /dev/snd/midiC4D1 failed: Device or resource busy
ALSA lib rawmidi_hw.c:235:(snd_rawmidi_hw_open) open /dev/snd/midiC4D2 failed: Device or resource busy
ALSA lib rawmidi_hw.c:235:(snd_rawmidi_hw_open) open /dev/snd/midiC4D3 failed: Device or resource busy
^

вт, 7 сент. 2021 г. в 23:24, Anton Kholomiov <anton.kholomiov@gmail.com>:
I can see this:

ALSASEQ: opened MIDI input sequencer
ALSASEQ: created input port 'Csound' 128:0
ALSASEQ: connection failed from a, port 0 (Operation not permitted)

Actually I use cadence and set Alsa Midi to None and start the Midi bridge to see virtual midi ports

вт, 7 сент. 2021 г. в 23:23, Tarmo Johannes <trmjhnns@gmail.com>:
Hi!

What happens if you use -Ma flag for MIDI input?
Is using jackd an option for you? Then any routing with qjacktl or cadence (or command line) would be easier.

tarmo

tarmo

Kontakt Anton Kholomiov (<anton.kholomiov@gmail.com>) kirjutas kuupäeval T, 7. september 2021 kell 23:20:
String flags are frustrating :(
I wish there was some valid way to lo list
rtmidi options or devices options

вт, 7 сент. 2021 г. в 23:11, Anton Kholomiov <anton.kholomiov@gmail.com>:
I'm trying but it all fails.
Can you help me to connect csound to Virtual midi port (snd-virmidi).
How to connect to Virtual Midi port or Midi Through?

> cat /proc/asound/cards
 4 [VirMIDI        ]: VirMIDI - VirMIDI
                      Virtual MIDI Card 1
```

> aconnect -l
gives
```
[...]

From"Jeanette C."
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Can you explain how to connect csound to Virtual midi port (snd-virmidi)
Sep 7 2021, Guillermo Senna has written:

> Hi Anton,
>
> Have you tried something like this already?
>
> -+rtmidi=alsaseq -M32
or:
-M14 for the general virtual MIDI through? If it exists in the RAW
version:
amidi -l
you could try:
-+rtmidi=alsa -Mhw:x,y
Whichver ever would be listed for the virtual MIDI there.

-+rtmidi=alsa -Ma
or
-+rtmidi=alsaseq -Ma
has worked for me though. It would try to connect to all ports and - I
think - skip all those that it can't connect to.

Best wishes,

Jeanette

> Cheers.
>

> On 7/9/21 17:11, Anton Kholomiov wrote:
>> I'm trying but it all fails.
>> Can you help me to connect csound to Virtual midi port (snd-virmidi).
>> How to connect to Virtual Midi port or Midi Through?
>>
>> > cat /proc/asound/cards
>>  4 [VirMIDI        ]: VirMIDI - VirMIDI
>>                       Virtual MIDI Card 1
>> ```
>>
>> > aconnect -l
>> gives
>> ```
>> client 0: 'System' [type=kernel]
>>     0 'Timer           '
>>     1 'Announce        '
>>         Connecting To: 128:0
>> client 14: 'Midi Through' [type=kernel]
>>     0 'Midi Through Port-0'
>>         Connecting To: 128:0[real:0]
>>         Connected From: 128:0
>> client 32: 'Virtual Raw MIDI 4-0' [type=kernel,card=4]
>>     0 'VirMIDI 4-0     '
>>         Connecting To: 128:0[real:0]
>>         Connected From: 128:0
>> client 33: 'Virtual Raw MIDI 4-1' [type=kernel,card=4]
>>     0 'VirMIDI 4-1     '
>>         Connecting To: 128:0[real:0]
>>         Connected From: 128:0
>> client 34: 'Virtual Raw MIDI 4-2' [type=kernel,card=4]
>>     0 'VirMIDI 4-2     '
>>         Connecting To: 128:0[real:0]
>>         Connected From: 128:0
>> client 35: 'Virtual Raw MIDI 4-3' [type=kernel,card=4]
>>     0 'VirMIDI 4-3     '
>>         Connecting To: 128:0[real:0]
>>         Connected From: 128:0
>> ```
>>
>> I can not figure out the right combo of flags: -+rtmidi and -M
>> Can you please help me.
>>
>> I always get: midi resource busy or  Uknown Raw Midi
>> Csound mailing list Csound@listserv.heanet.ie

>>  Send bugs reports to
>> https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>>  Discussions of bugs and features
>> can be posted here

>       https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c

Skip on the drinks Head to the floor
Makin' my way Past the show
My body's taken over And I want some more <3
(Britney Spears)

FromAnton Kholomiov
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Can you explain how to connect csound to Virtual midi port (snd-virmidi)
Also i'm using Jack.
When I switch to pulse, and turn jack off everything starts to work with defaults.
But don't know how to use it with jack.

вт, 7 сент. 2021 г. в 23:35, Jeanette C. <julien@mail.upb.de>:
> [...]

>> ```
>>
>> I can not figure out the right combo of flags: -+rtmidi and -M
>> Can you please help me.
>>
>> I always get: midi resource busy or  Uknown Raw Midi
>> Csound mailing list Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>> <mailto:Csound@listserv.heanet.ie>
>> <https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND> Send bugs reports to
>> https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>> <https://github.com/csound/csound/issues> Discussions of bugs and features
>> can be posted here

>       https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c

Skip on the drinks Head to the floor
Makin' my way Past the show
My body's taken over And I want some more <3
(Britney Spears)

FromTarmo Johannes
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Can you explain how to connect csound to Virtual midi port (snd-virmidi)
Hi,

In jack I would connect the virtual port (do you see it there?) To MIDI Through and use that as input in Csound.

Tarmo

T, 7. september 2021 23:52 Anton Kholomiov <anton.kholomiov@gmail.com> kirjutas:
> [...]

>> ```
>>
>> I can not figure out the right combo of flags: -+rtmidi and -M
>> Can you please help me.
>>
>> I always get: midi resource busy or  Uknown Raw Midi
>> Csound mailing list Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>> <mailto:Csound@listserv.heanet.ie>
>> <https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND> Send bugs reports to
>> https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>> <https://github.com/csound/csound/issues> Discussions of bugs and features
>> can be posted here

>       https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c

Skip on the drinks Head to the floor
Makin' my way Past the show
My body's taken over And I want some more <3
(Britney Spears)

FromAnton Kholomiov
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Can you explain how to connect csound to Virtual midi port (snd-virmidi)
csound -+rtmidi=alsaseq -M 'Midi Through':0 -o dac tmp.csd -+rtaudio=jack

This is the right way for puzzle if anybody is searchin.

note that writing 'Midi Through':0 is important

On the other terminal w should connect the midi device:

 aconnect 'UMX 250' 'Midi Through'

Device names come from:

вт, 7 сент. 2021 г. в 23:57, Tarmo Johannes <trmjhnns@gmail.com>:
> [...]

>> ```
>>
>> I can not figure out the right combo of flags: -+rtmidi and -M
>> Can you please help me.
>>
>> I always get: midi resource busy or  Uknown Raw Midi
>> Csound mailing list Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>> <mailto:Csound@listserv.heanet.ie>
>> <https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND> Send bugs reports to
>> https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>> <https://github.com/csound/csound/issues> Discussions of bugs and features
>> can be posted here

>       https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c

Skip on the drinks Head to the floor
Makin' my way Past the show
My body's taken over And I want some more <3
(Britney Spears)

FromAnton Kholomiov
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Can you explain how to connect csound to Virtual midi port (snd-virmidi)

The name is after client NN: 'name of device'

Sorry for making it too explicit, but I feel to stupid to remember that. It's every half a year as if it's my first time I see it.