[Csnd] CsoundVST Crash

Date2020-12-10 17:16
FromJ
Subject[Csnd] CsoundVST Crash
Hello,

I was curious to use the CsoundVST plug in, which I downloaded linked here:

Unfortunately it crashes Ableton when I try to instantiate. I'm on Windows 10, Ableton 10.

I just put the dll in my plugins folder - anything else I need to make it work?

SubjectRe: [Csnd] CsoundVST Crash
It needs a compatible version of Csound to be installed as well, and in the system path.

I have not been maintaining CsoundVST on Windows for some time, because we Csound developers got in trouble with Steinberg because one of us inadvertently included a copy of VST SDK source code in our Git repository. I do currently maintain CsoundVST for Linux, which I distribute as a binary.

Let me know more about your setup. Keep in mind that there used to be a 32 bit CPU architecture version of CsoundVST and the latest Windows version should be for 64 bit CPU architecture.

Regards,

On Thu, Dec 10, 2020 at 12:16 PM J <falabala66@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello,

I was curious to use the CsoundVST plug in, which I downloaded linked here:

Unfortunately it crashes Ableton when I try to instantiate. I'm on Windows 10, Ableton 10.

I just put the dll in my plugins folder - anything else I need to make it work?

FromJ
SubjectRe: [Csnd] CsoundVST Crash
Thanks Mike,

Yes I've read a bit about their strict licensing so it makes sense it might be a lot of trouble to maintain.

I'm aware of Cabbage, but I started using this: https://github.com/belangeo/pyo-plug

and I liked being able to just load up a given file in the DAW.

The link I mentioned says that the installer includes Csound which it seems to have.

Is this a 32 bit version? If so that makes sense as Ableton no longer works with 32 but plugins as I understand it...

Jeremy

On Thu, Dec 10, 2020 at 5:45 PM Michael Gogins <michael.gogins@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

No, as the filename indicates it is the 64 bit CPU architecture version. There may have been some breaking change in the Csound API or in other dependencies. Look at your Windows event log and other information and send me what you can find.

Regards,

On Thu, Dec 10, 2020 at 12:56 PM J <falabala66@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

My apologies, I just started using Windows after a decade long stint in Mac land, but all I found in the Event Viewer was this:

"Windows cannot load the extensible counter DLL "C:\WINDOWS\system32\sysmain.dll" (Win32 error code The specified module could not be found.).

The Open procedure for service "BITS" in DLL "C:\Windows\System32\bitsperf.dll" failed with error code The system cannot find the file specified.. Performance data for this service will not be available."

Not sure if this has anything to do with it - Event Viewer and Reliability monitor didn't seem to register the Ableton Crash.

Best,

Jeremy

On Thu, Dec 10, 2020 at 6:09 PM Michael Gogins <michael.gogins@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

I don't think this has anything to do with Csound or CsoundVST.

You could download this, "profile" your DAW with it, and try to load CsoundVST: https://en.freedownloadmanager.org/Windows-PC/Microsoft-Dependency-Checker-FREE.html

Have you tried Cabbage as an alternative to CsoundVST? It should be able to do everything you need.

Regards,

On Thu, Dec 10, 2020 at 4:11 PM J <falabala66@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

FromMarc Demers
Subject[Csnd] RE=?Windows-1252?Q?=A0=3A_?=[Csnd] CsoundVST Crash
Attachments1435A2D00C2740F3B78AA99D71018343.png

Have you tied using jBridge to convert the 32bits CsoundVST to 64bits ? It works for me with Cubase and Ableton. Need some tweaking some parameters…

[...]

Provenance : Courrier pour Windows 10

Date2020-12-11 09:48
FromJ
SubjectRe: [Csnd] CsoundVST Crash
Thanks Mike,

Yes I've looked at Cabbage and it's great - I may ultimately go in that direction. It's just that I like the workflow of seeing code 'in DAW' while making work as in Pyo Plug:

Sure this crash seems unrelated, though it happened at the same time. I will have a look at dependency checker and see if I can find anything.

Best,

Jeremy

On Thu, Dec 10, 2020 at 9:52 PM Michael Gogins <michael.gogins@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

SubjectRe: [Csnd] RE : [Csnd] CsoundVST Crash
Attachments1435A2D00C2740F3B78AA99D71018343.png
I haven't, thank you, I will look into this - I thought the link I posted was for a distribution that already was 64 bit though?

Best,

Jeremy

On Fri, Dec 11, 2020 at 6:37 AM Marc Demers <caecos@hotmail.ca> wrote:

[...]

FromOeyvind Brandtsegg
SubjectRe: [Csnd] RE : [Csnd] CsoundVST Crash
Attachments1435A2D00C2740F3B78AA99D71018343.png
With Cabbage you can also let it automatically update the plugin whenever the csd file changes. Use the autoupdate() declaration to the form (main gui widget) to enable this.
Then you can have the code open in a separate text editor alongside the daw and it should work quite similarly to what you see in the pyo plugin. You would not have the text editor inside the plugin gui, but as a separate application, but the available functionality is equivalent.

fre. 11. des. 2020 kl. 10:49 skrev J <falabala66@gmail.com>:
[...]

FromRory Walsh
SubjectRe: [Csnd] RE : [Csnd] CsoundVST Crash
Attachments1435A2D00C2740F3B78AA99D71018343.png
And you get to use a fully featured text editor. Note that if you change the number of VST parameters in your .csd file you will need to reinstantiate the plugin.

On Fri, 11 Dec 2020 at 12:08, Oeyvind Brandtsegg <obrandts@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Ah right, I didn't know that - yes that is more or less the same workflow I was after. Actually I think in the Pyo Plug you must press 'compute' so it seems here it's even more automated.

Good to know thank you!