[Csnd] Playing samples - table/loscil vs. soundin

Date2019-09-05 18:40
FromJason Hallen
Subject[Csnd] Playing samples - table/loscil vs. soundin
Hello,

For playing samples from WAV files, can you advise me on what is more efficient?  Currently I'm using GEN01 to write samples of 7 WAV files into tables and then loscil to play the tables.  An alternative would be to use soundin to play the files.  Is either alternative better/more efficient than the other?  Or maybe there's another alternative that's better than either of those?

If you need more context about my specific project in order to answer this I can provide that.

Thanks for your help!
Jason

FromTarmo Johannes
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Playing samples - table/loscil vs. soundin
Hi,

if you need to use the the audio files over and over again, I would use GEN01 and loading into tables, otherwise soundin or diskin2 -  they are fast enough and you don't need load the audio files into memory. Depends of course on their length.

tarmo

Kontakt Jason Hallen (<hallenj@gmail.com>) kirjutas kuupäeval N, 5. september 2019 kell 20:50:
Hello,

For playing samples from WAV files, can you advise me on what is more efficient?  Currently I'm using GEN01 to write samples of 7 WAV files into tables and then loscil to play the tables.  An alternative would be to use soundin to play the files.  Is either alternative better/more efficient than the other?  Or maybe there's another alternative that's better than either of those?

If you need more context about my specific project in order to answer this I can provide that.

Thanks for your help!
Jason

FromJason Hallen
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Playing samples - table/loscil vs. soundin
Thanks for your response, Tarmo.  Yes, these files will be played over and over.  It's basically a programmable drum machine.  It sounds like I'm better off sticking GEN01.  Thanks!
Jason

On Thu, Sep 5, 2019 at 1:05 PM Tarmo Johannes <trmjhnns@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

yes for fast and frequent reading, it's much better from tables, because
you don't rely on the speed of your hard drive.  and if you have
problems with loscil, there are other options.

	joachim